#1 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,607 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Rookies Arrive, Minicamp Kicks Off
Posted by Randy Lange on  May 10, 2013 – 10:49 am 

The next chapter of the Jets’ 2013 offseason is being written beginning this week. The Green & White rookie class arrived at the Atlantic Health Training Center on Thursday, and today’s first practice of the camp is under way on the grass fields in Florham Park, N.J.

The arrivals couldn’t begin until noon Thursday, and by early evening everyone was checked in, had gone through the indoctrination process as a new Jet, and rested up in their hotel rooms for this morning’s breakfast, their first team meeting with head coach Rex Ryan and staff, and their first practice set to start around 10 a.m.

The stations each player stopped at included a visit to the doctor for a physical, equipment manager Gus Granneman’s equipment room to be fitted for a helmet and receive his initial jersey and new number, a stop with head strength and conditioning coach Justus Galac’s weightroom, a chat with director of player development Dave Szott, a stay with the media relations team, and a quick couple of headshots with the always ebullient team photographer, Al Pereira.

Among the earliest to run this pro pigskin gauntlet was second-round quarterback Geno Smith. He came through the double glass doors of the players’ entrance at 12:01 p.m. and began his check-in process. On his way to the locker room, Smith was greeted by a couple of veteran Jets WRs:

Santonio Holmes, recently returned from his degree work at Ohio State, and Stephen Hill, last year’s second-rounder. Holmes, Hill and the rest of the Jets’ established pass catchers will begin to catch Geno’s passes at the June, when Smith joins the rest of the team’s quarterbacks at the full-squad minicamp.

The other five draft choices arrived in short order. In rough order of appearance they were seventh-round FB Tommy Bohanon and fifth-round OL Oday Aboushi came in the next wave, followed by first-round CB Dee Milliner, sixth-round OL Will Campbell, third-round G Brian Winters and first-round DL Sheldon Richardson.

The 15-member band of undrafted free agents, plus some minicamp invitees, were also among the new Jets on hand. Among those registering in the early afternoon were TEs Mike Shanahan of Pitt and Chris Pantale of Boston College, wideouts Zach Rogers of Tennessee and KJ Stroud from Bethune-Cookman and C Dalton Freeman from Clemson.

Shanahan, who confirms for any who doubted it that he’s not related to Washington head coach Mike Shanahan, was stopped between stations for a hallway chat with senior personnel executive Terry Bradway and pro scout Aaron Glenn.

This is not an all-inclusive list. We’ll have a report on all the rookies and first-year players who are at the camp plus new uniform numbers when everything becomes official on Friday.

Speaking of new unis, the drafted Jets are reported to have received their initial numbers. These could still change but at the moment Granneman and his staff have distributed the following numbers to the draftees:

27 — Dee Milliner

91 — Sheldon Richardson

7 — Geno Smith

67 — Brian Winters

75 — Oday Aboushi

65 — Will Campbell

40 — Tommy Bohanon

The minicamp is closed to the public. A more complete list of the participants in this camp, which includes all the Jets draft choices, 2013 undrafted free agents, 2012 first-year free agents signed prior to the draft, and tryout candidates, will be available later today. The minicamp will continue through Sunday, with media availability on Friday and Saturday, including open locker room and Rex Ryan news conferences both days.

#2 Strangefunk

Strangefunk

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York The Greatest City in the WORLD!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I love the number for geno...7...as in TOUCHDOWN! 7Pts!

#3 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

I love the number for geno...7...as in TOUCHDOWN! 7Pts!

As opposed to 6 for Sanchez.  "Two field goals and that's all you'll get all game.  Suck it."

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#4 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr6m

Geno said his understanding is that Sanchez will get a majority of the reps. #nyj

#5 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Getting kind of excited reading these camp tweets (I'm disgusted I just wrote that sentence, btw). Milliner, Geno, and Richardson all sound like tough dudes who just want to play football and win games, which confirms what much of the pre-draft reporting on them talked about.

Edited by T0mShane, 10 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#6 JollyGreen

JollyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Uhh a touchdown is worth 6 points

#7 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,362 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I don't want Sanchez to start, but I do think he'll be the starter. I can't see it playing out any other way unless Geno absolutely kills it in practice. This way they can do the whole rejuvenate the fanbase by benching the QB mid-season routine.

#8 Joe Jets fan

Joe Jets fan

not sure

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

As opposed to 6 for Sanchez.  "Two field goals and that's all you'll get all game.  Suck it."

Congrats,  waited until the second reply before this turned into a "Sanchez sucks" topic

#9 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Geno Smith brushed off the wave of criticism heaped on him in recent weeks after his first practice at Jets rookie minicamp on Friday.

“I don’t resent any of it,” Smith said. “I don’t pay attention to any of it.”

“I think it’s been a more eventful few weeks for the media,” he later added. “I’ve just been my natural old self. Nothing’s changed. I’m not feeling any way toward any of it. I couldn’t care less about it. My only job is to focus on what I have here and to get better.”

Some of the criticism in recent reports has centered on Smith’s leadership skills, but the rookie quarterback didn’t appear fazed by it.

“I’ll just be myself,” Smith said. “I don’t think it’s hard to do that. I don’t even put that in my mind. I just come out and be my natural self. I think I’ve always been just a natural leader. That’s something that my teammates of the past can attest to. Now, it’s about getting to know these guys and allowing them to understand me and let me lead them in a way.”

His work ethic was questioned before the drafted in a report from Pro Football Weekly, but Smith has been trying to learn Marty Mornhinweg’s system from the day he received the playbook the night he was drafted.

“I’ve been studying my butt off,” Smith said. “I’ve been in the playbook learning formations and learning protections.”

Smith spent Thursday night reviewing “actions in the huddle and cadences” with offensive linemen at a nearby hotel. He also said that he's started watching film of quarterbacks that have run the West Coast Offense like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia.

Smith completed 6 of 10 passes (and was “sacked” once) during 11-on-11 team drills. He went  11 of 15 in 7-on-7 drills, taking 20 of 25 snaps under center. Smith, who played just about every snap out of the shotgun at West Virginia, said it’ll be a “transition” to sharpen his footwork.

So, how would he grade his first practice as a pro?

“I’m going to be tough on myself,” Smith said. “So I don’t even want to do it. I’ll let the coaches do the grading. If I’d say, it’s an F. Because I want to be A+… Hey, that’s just the way I do things.”

Smith said that the recent criticism didn’t really affect his family and close friends too much, either.

“They know me,” Smith said. “Anyone who’s ever come into contact with me knows exactly who I am and what I’m all about. So they don’t let it get to them because they know the real me. I think that anyone who’s ever talked to any of my coaches of the past or players that I’ve played with have all had good remarks on me.”

Smith interviewed a prospectice agents this week, but he said that he hasn't made a final decision on who he'll hire yet. Jay-Z's Roc Nation is believed to be one of the groups that he's interviewed.

"I’m not even focused on that right now," he said. "That’s not even one of my prortioties. My main job is to come out here and compete and get better."

Smith said he looks forward to competing with Mark Sanchez this summer.
“I know Mark is a competitor,” Smith said. “I understand that he wants to win the job. We all do. At the same, I’m going to learn from him. I’m going to learn from David and Greg… and just try to pick things up as I go.”

#10 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

^^

someone should tell him he doesn't need to overstate how unaffected he is..  makes it sound like he's affected.

#11 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,124 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thick skin - you need it to survive in NewYork/Jersey

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#12 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

^^

someone should tell him he doesn't need to overstate how unaffected he is..  makes it sound like he's affected.

Or that the media doesn't need to ask him every 5 seconds how much it affects him.  "Are you affected by it?  How about now?  Now?  Are you now?? WHAT ABOUT NOW?!?!?"

Edited by Bleedin Green, 10 May 2013 - 01:30 PM.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#13 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

is there any way to find a live stream of whats going on / whose looking good?

#14 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

^^
Yes, like who got the sack? Was it Richardson?

#15 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr8s

Rex said he's been disappointed in Quinton Coples, especially in the weight room. #nyj

hmmmm. Weird.

#16 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Conor Orr‏@ConorTOrr8s
Rex said he's been disappointed in Quinton Coples, especially in the weight room. #nyj

hmmmm. Weird.

Motivation tactic?

Edited by Greenseed4, 10 May 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#17 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr8s

hmmmm. Weird.

Indeed.  We need Coples to be effective in whatever role Rex has in mind.  Otherwise we won't be able to maximize the use of Richardson.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#18 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Rex has treated Coples weird since he got here. From pulling him out of camp walkthroughs to burying him on the bench at times last season, you really have to wonder if Rex is just playing games with the dude, or if Coples is really that much of a headcase behind the scenes.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#19 stugotz81

stugotz81

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Love #27 for DEE, Love #7 for Geno even more.  Eh to Richardosn with #91.  He seems like a #95.

BUT WHAT THE HELL IS IVORY'S #?????? 

You can’t fly with eagles when you keep walking with turkeys

#20 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,607 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr8s

hmmmm. Weird.

That was Coples problem last year, and the reason he got so few snaps the first half of the season.  he wason't in shape when he came in.  Kid better get with it

#21 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Rex has treated Coples weird since he got here. From pulling him out of camp walkthroughs to burying him on the bench at times last season, you really have to wonder if Rex is just playing games with the dude, or if Coples is really that much of a headcase behind the scenes.

Coples strikes me as a talented dude who needs to be properly motivated, unlike a guy like Wilkerson who has been quietly superb from Day 1.  My guess is the minute Coples was drafted Rex made it a point to make him his pet project.  Rex is a DL guy after all. 

It kind of goes back to his Senior year at UNC.  After Butch Davis got fired, he kind of mailed it in.  Granted, most of the team did that, but when you're talking about sacrificing millions of dollars by falling in the draft, its a bit of a different story.  Hopefully Rex is able to figure out what makes him tick and maximize his abilities. 

Edited by Jetsfan80, 10 May 2013 - 02:05 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#22 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr20m

Ryan's criticism of Coples has always been very calculated, this is no different. #nyj

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr18m

Rex said of Coples, any chance he has to get after Quinton he's going to. Said his disappointment was specific to yesterday. #nyj  

Must be for motivation.

Edited by CrazyCarl40, 10 May 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#23 stugotz81

stugotz81

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

rex is weird and i'm getting tired of his shtty games

You can’t fly with eagles when you keep walking with turkeys

#24 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Coples strikes me as a talented dude who needs to be properly motivated, unlike a guy like Wilkerson who has been quietly superb from Day 1. My guess is the minute Coples was drafted Rex made it a point to make him his pet project. Rex is a DL guy after all.

If Coples isn't going to put the work in, it makes transitioning him to OLB that much more dubious.

#25 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

If Coples isn't going to put the work in, it makes transitioning him to OLB that much more dubious.

It would seem it falls 100 % on Rex to keep on him.  Hope it works.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users