The Rookies are in the House

flgreen

I don't understand your point.  Are you saying that you don't think Cowher was overrated or you think he was?

I have mixed feelings about Cowher.  It would have been hard for him not to do well with the excellent GM, scouting and personnel depts. he had providing talent for him.  OTOH, it took them a long time to find a QB and possibly Cowher had no choice but to stick with Kordell Stewart.  Still, aside from Stewart, Cowher was pretty solid.  Nothing about Schittenheimer is solid.  If you're trying to say the two are equal, I couldn't possibly disagree more.

My point was fairly simple; you are denigrating Rex for not winning a super bowl, despite having the opportunity in two AFCCGs, by saying he choked and cannot win a big game when it matters, all after four total years of being a head coach.  I pointed out that the exact same things were said about Bill Cowher up until he finally won a SB, except for everything you're saying about rex, was being said about cowher for an additional decade.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was fairly simple; you are denigrating Rex for not winning a super bowl, despite having the opportunity in two AFCCGs, by saying he choked and cannot win a big game when it matters, all after four total years of being a head coach.  I pointed out that the exact same things were said about Bill Cowher up until he finally won a SB, except for everything you're saying about rex, was being said about cowher for an additional decade.  

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  The purpose of my post was not to really denigrate Rex for not winning a SB, although that is part of it.  I was just using that to contrast with those who blindly say he's great because the D is highly ranked and has great statistics.  Those fans think he's done a great job and should remain as the HC of the Jets.  I do not.  

He's supposed to be the HC, NOT the DC, yet he doesn't act like it.  We don't know and probably never will exactly how much input Rex had into the drafts, but it's puzzling at the very least why aside from Gholston, the Jets have never aggressively gone after the great pass rusher they needed, when it has been a critical for Rex and the team.  The way the team was put together and the way that Sanchez was "developed" is a joke.  The fact that you had a HC who was clueless as to what his OC was doing and they weren't on the same page at all, yet Rex never fired him is puzzling at the least.

For the record, I was surprised the team went as far as it did in both 2009 and 20010.  I give Rex some of the credit for that, but I also credit the veteran leaders that team had, and the fact that when a team changes from a strict disciplinarian type of HC to a "players' coach" there is inevitably a "bump" or improvement in that team's play for a couple of years until things start breaking down because of the lack of accountability and discipline.  In the Jets' case it broke down further for a couple of reasons.  One, because Rex and Tanny got rid of the veteran leadership they had, they had no other players on the team that were leaders and Rex seems to be incapable of being that leader.  Two, either Tanny or Tanny and Rex together weren't realistic about the lack of talent and depth on the roster, and rather than trying to build things a little more slowly, kept going all in every year, acting as if they were just a player or two away, and signing over-priced, older, slower veteran FAs and trading up in the draft.

You don't seriously compete for the Lombardi Trophy in today's NFL with mediocre QB play, little team speed or depth.  Rex has to bare at least some, if not a lot, of the blame for that.

How many games have the Jets won the last 2 years?  How many Division Titles, Conference Championships and Lombardi 

Trophies????  He's paid to be the HC and get wins, not be a glorified DC who racks up statistics, but his team can't win when the chips are down.

I think Rex is probably THE most overrated coach in the NFL.

funny all we hear Rex talk about in his pressers are "HIS" Defenses statistics or His Players measureables which in reality is sh*t fans talk about not head coaches

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  The purpose of my post was not to really denigrate Rex for not winning a SB, although that is part of it.  I was just using that to contrast with those who blindly say he's great because the D is highly ranked and has great statistics.  Those fans think he's done a great job and should remain as the HC of the Jets.  I do not.  

He's supposed to be the HC, NOT the DC, yet he doesn't act like it.  We don't know and probably never will exactly how much input Rex had into the drafts, but it's puzzling at the very least why aside from Gholston, the Jets have never aggressively gone after the great pass rusher they needed, when it has been a critical for Rex and the team.  The way the team was put together and the way that Sanchez was "developed" is a joke.  The fact that you had a HC who was clueless as to what his OC was doing and they weren't on the same page at all, yet Rex never fired him is puzzling at the least.

For the record, I was surprised the team went as far as it did in both 2009 and 20010.  I give Rex some of the credit for that, but I also credit the veteran leaders that team had, and the fact that when a team changes from a strict disciplinarian type of HC to a "players' coach" there is inevitably a "bump" or improvement in that team's play for a couple of years until things start breaking down because of the lack of accountability and discipline.  In the Jets' case it broke down further for a couple of reasons.  One, because Rex and Tanny got rid of the veteran leadership they had, they had no other players on the team that were leaders and Rex seems to be incapable of being that leader.  Two, either Tanny or Tanny and Rex together weren't realistic about the lack of talent and depth on the roster, and rather than trying to build things a little more slowly, kept going all in every year, acting as if they were just a player or two away, and signing over-priced, older, slower veteran FAs and trading up in the draft.

You don't seriously compete for the Lombardi Trophy in today's NFL with mediocre QB play, little team speed or depth.  Rex has to bare at least some, if not a lot, of the blame for that.

Alot of teams win superbowl with poor QB , baltimore first win , defence won that one and the same can be said for the bears last superbowl win , phil sims of the gaints is not a hall of famer

Your last point is the only one I agree with.  Rex is partly responsible for the Sanchez debacle, and he signed off on the extension.  His one fireable offense.

Other than that, there's not a thing you can say to make me believe he's "overrated".  He won playoff games with a retard at QB.  Bottom line.  I'm willing to give him the opportunity to see what he can do with a real QB.  Hopefully Geno is the goods.

That was Coples problem last year, and the reason he got so few snaps the first half of the season.  he wason't in shape when he came in.  Kid better get with it

yeah but his knock in the draft was his work ethic he better get with it soon

Alot of teams win superbowl with poor QB , baltimore first win , defence won that one and the same can be said for the bears last superbowl win , phil sims of the gaints is not a hall of famer

Three is not a lot, and all of those happened at an earlier time in the NFL.  It's a QB-driven league now.  Trying to win with a QB who is a liability rather than an asset stacks the deck against you.

yeah but his knock in the draft was his work ethic he better get with it soon

Jorge I agree 100%.   This is a kid with through the roof talent.   If he doesn't want to pick up the pieces, he'll be an also ran.  If he wants to take his job home with him in the off season, he'll be great.

It's up to him

Jorge I agree 100%.   This is a kid with through the roof talent.   If he doesn't want to pick up the pieces, he'll be an also ran.  If he wants to take his job home with him in the off season, he'll be great.

It's up to him and god yes i hope he gets there i love the way he just slams and hits

Your last point is the only one I agree with.  Rex is partly responsible for the Sanchez debacle, and he signed off on the extension.  His one fireable offense.

Other than that, there's not a thing you can say to make me believe he's "overrated".  He won playoff games with a retard at QB.  Bottom line.  I'm willing to give him the opportunity to see what he can do with a real QB.  Hopefully Geno is the goods.

That's cool.  We can agree to disagree.  As I've said, I never expect to change anyone's mind on a football site.  I state my opinions and clarify why I think as I do and leave it at that.

I think there's a fairly long list of reasons/offenses why he should be fired, perhaps chief among them is acting like a loudmouth assclown and turning the franchise into a circus and the laughingstock of the NFL again.

When you're a top 5 pass defense year in and year out, does it really matter?  He's clearly doing something right.

You can't really be serious with that question.

So he's doing "something" right and that's reason for him to keep his job?  

Three is not a lot, and all of those happened at an earlier time in the NFL.  It's a QB-driven league now.  Trying to win with a QB who is a liability rather than an asset stacks the deck against you.

I kind of agree , what you are saying , having a top 5 QB does make things easy but there is more than 3 , I can think of 10 more average QB who won super bowl but the last 10 years it been the same 3 , Pats , Pitt ,gaints all with top 5 QB , take a look at last year super bowl the QB are not hall of famer 

^^

someone should tell him he doesn't need to overstate how unaffected he is..  makes it sound like he's affected.

Of course he's affected.  He's a twenty two year old kid who left his parents to live with an Uncle that happens to be an alcoholic that parades around the neighborhood mooning children and screaming obscenities.  He did nothing but change households and he is already hated.  We all want to be loved Pac.  

You can't really be serious with that question.

So he's doing "something" right and that's reason for him to keep his job?  

List off some coaches who would have done a better job with the talent level on this team, particularly at QB.  I'd say the 2 Harbaughs and a couple other guys.  

Most coaches are idiots who depend on their talent to win.  At least Rex gets the absolute most out of 1 unit of the ball.  Now, if you say he should be a DC, that's fair.  But acting like he isn't a good coach is unreasonable.  He's clearly proven he can get results in the past and he hasn't been a HC very long in this league.  If his team still sucks with Sanchez gone then I'd be more than willing to discuss the merits of firing him.  But I don't find it to be clear cut that he sucks at what he does.  

He's a very good coach whose personality rubs people the wrong way.  That's what it comes down to.  

List off some coaches who would have done a better job with the talent level on this team, particularly at QB.  I'd say the 2 Harbaughs and a couple other guys.  

Most coaches are idiots who depend on their talent to win.  At least Rex gets the absolute most out of 1 unit of the ball.  Now, if you say he should be a DC, that's fair.  But acting like he isn't a good coach is unreasonable.  He's clearly proven he can get results in the past and he hasn't been a HC very long in this league.  If his team still sucks with Sanchez gone then I'd be more than willing to discuss the merits of firing him.  But I don't find it to be clear cut that he sucks at what he does.  

He's a very good coach whose personality rubs people the wrong way.  That's what it comes down to.  

I totally agree that a lot of coaches are idiots.  While you're probably right that there are few other DCs who could have gotten more from the players he's had to work with, there are also few who make their task so much harder by shooting off their mouths, making guarantees and predictions and thus painting a target on your back.

I also think that there would be few HCs who would have stuck with Schottenheimer as long as Rex did, few who would have hired Sparano, few who would have wanted a "ground and pound" attack when the NFL is a passing league, and few who would be so loyal to their players that they'd keep trotting them out there to start and/or play when those players clearly aren't getting the job done.  I also think there'd probably have been few who would have started Sanchez his rookie season when he obviously wasn't ready.

I also agree that he is a very good DC and gets a lot out of his players.  I don't think he's great, because he's basically a one-trick pony.  When the opposing team figures out Rex's game plan (which they invariably do), he and the team are done.  He may eventually make a change, but the change is usually ineffective, and often times the game is already lost.  When the Jets win it's often because the other team is worse talent-wise than the Jets or has key players out with injuries.  

To be fair, he has been hamstrung with little or no speed, depth or playmakers on his defensive units, and maybe that's why he's unable to change...he doesn't have the talent to do anything else.  He also was handicapped by having a bean counter who knew absolutely nothing about evaluating talent as his GM, and who kept trading up in the draft stripping the team of depth, and signing older, slower, overprice vet rather than getting younger, cheaper FAs.  If I had been the GM working with Rex, my first order of business would have been to find a stud pass rusher for him.  My second would have been to find a ball-hawking FS.  That Tanny never addressed either once Rex was on board, shows what a clueless moron he is.  

One reason why I can't understand why a lot of Jets fans go ape about the Jets having drafted so many defensive players and ignoring the offense.  While there's some truth to that, why expect your HC to have to get by and/or scheme to cover up the lack of talent on his key unit, when if you give him the right talent, he could probably create a dominant unit.  At the same time, up until now during Rex's tenure, they haven't had a competent OC, so it wouldn't have mattered if the Jets had Rodgers, Peterson, and Megatron on offense.  Those idiots Schottenheimer and Sparano would have found a way to neutralize them.

If Rex is to stay with the Jets, then Idzik needs to make finding a stud pass rusher and ball-hawking FS a priority, even if it means scrapping his BPA philosophy, and letting be a glorified DC.  To make that work, they may also need to find a better OC than Mornhinweg to handle the offense.  Otherwise, I think the need to try to find a complete HC and let him hire a competent DC and OC.

Maybe with some fans it's just Rex's personality, but not with me.  That's definitely part of it, but it goes a lot further than that with me.  I want a complete HC who is disciplined, demands accountability, and who deals with reality rather than blind loyalty. 

I totally agree that a lot of coaches are idiots.  While you're probably right that there are few other DCs who could have gotten more from the players he's had to work with, there are also few who make their task so much harder by shooting off their mouths, making guarantees and predictions and thus painting a target on your back.

I also think that there would be few HCs who would have stuck with Schottenheimer as long as Rex did, few who would have hired Sparano, few who would have wanted a "ground and pound" attack when the NFL is a passing league, and few who would be so loyal to their players that they'd keep trotting them out there to start and/or play when those players clearly aren't getting the job done.  I also think there'd probably have been few who would have started Sanchez his rookie season when he obviously wasn't ready.

I also agree that he is a very good DC and gets a lot out of his players.  I don't think he's great, because he's basically a one-trick pony.  When the opposing team figures out Rex's game plan (which they invariably do), he and the team are done.  He may eventually make a change, but the change is usually ineffective, and often times the game is already lost.  When the Jets win it's often because the other team is worse talent-wise than the Jets or has key players out with injuries.  

To be fair, he has been hamstrung with little or no speed, depth or playmakers on his defensive units, and maybe that's why he's unable to change...he doesn't have the talent to do anything else.  He also was handicapped by having a bean counter who knew absolutely nothing about evaluating talent as his GM, and who kept trading up in the draft stripping the team of depth, and signing older, slower, overprice vet rather than getting younger, cheaper FAs.  If I had been the GM working with Rex, my first order of business would have been to find a stud pass rusher for him.  My second would have been to find a ball-hawking FS.  That Tanny never addressed either once Rex was on board, shows what a clueless moron he is.  

One reason why I can't understand why a lot of Jets fans go ape about the Jets having drafted so many defensive players and ignoring the offense.  While there's some truth to that, why expect your HC to have to get by and/or scheme to cover up the lack of talent on his key unit, when if you give him the right talent, he could probably create a dominant unit.  At the same time, up until now during Rex's tenure, they haven't had a competent OC, so it wouldn't have mattered if the Jets had Rodgers, Peterson, and Megatron on offense.  Those idiots Schottenheimer and Sparano would have found a way to neutralize them.

If Rex is to stay with the Jets, then Idzik needs to make finding a stud pass rusher and ball-hawking FS a priority, even if it means scrapping his BPA philosophy, and letting be a glorified DC.  To make that work, they may also need to find a better OC than Mornhinweg to handle the offense.  Otherwise, I think the need to try to find a complete HC and let him hire a competent DC and OC.

Maybe with some fans it's just Rex's personality, but not with me.  That's definitely part of it, but it goes a lot further than that with me.  I want a complete HC who is disciplined, demands accountability, and who deals with reality rather than blind loyalty. 

Good post, but you're still wrong.  lol.

How?  Why?  It's fine, we obviously disagree, but I wanna know exactly where and how we differ.

It seems our points of contention rely in the following:

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance.  I disagree.  That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL.  It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.  

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked.  Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.  Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game.  It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds.  He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams.  Were any among us complaining that he did that first year?  Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.  

Rex's sins in order of importance:

1) Agreeing to Sanchez's contract extension

2) Agreeing to draft Sanchez

And to me that's it, it all comes down to Sanchez.  Everything else is really pretty meaningless.  Because whatever you say, records of 9-7, 11-5, 8-8 and 6-10 with a 4-2 playoff record are pretty good for a Head Coach these days.  Particularly in his first 4 years in the league.  If he's let go here he'll have success elsewhere, either as a DC or HC.  He won't end up a TV analyst like Herm or Mangini.  

If we hit on Geno Smith and he ends up the next Russell Wilson, we're Super Bowl contenders and none of this matters.  If not, there's a good chance he gets fired and that's OK.  Messing up at the QB position is what gets people fired.  The perception will be that he messed up twice.

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance. I disagree. That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL. It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.

Considering the fact that the locker room has imploded two years in a row, it's safe to say that Rex's laissez-faire, hands-off, say what you want policy has hurt the team. You've surely heard the cliche that teams take on the personality of their coach, yes? Well, they did. Rex runs his mouth when they win and cries when they lose. He hasn't held any player accountable for sucking or being an a$$hole (Bart, Santonio, Sanchez, etc), and has even coddled those selfsame players. If you don't think Rex's glaring personality faults have affected the team, you're nuts.

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked. Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.

Rex doesn't get to use the Sanchez Excuse because Rex kept wheeling Sanchez out there to get him beat. Likewise, he doesn't get to use the No Alternative To Sanchez excuse because he consciously kept legitimate competition for Sanchez off the roster to avoid upsetting Sanchez. Rex tied Sanchez around his own neck. Nobody did that for him. Nobody should feel bad for him.

Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game. It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds. He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

Schottenheimer rubber-stamped not only Sanchez, but Kellen Clemens, too. He worked both of them out, he approved both picks, and he didn't/could t develop them.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams. Were any among us complaining that he did that first year? Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.

No quarterback is guaranteed his job based on something he did three years ago. Sanchez's play has been consistent from Day One. Any coach whose head isn't up his ass would realize that a QB who wasn't developing (a la Sanchez) shouldn't be guaranteed anything going into a fourth year, especially considering the abortion that 2011 was.

1. Being a gutless, self-absorbed moron whose ego ruined the locker room by coddling losers like Sanchez, Holmes, and Bart Scott long after it became clear that all three players were shredding the team's chances to win.

So Tom's still going with the "Rex made every single personnel decision" spin I see.  

I'll agree that he should have benched Santonio and Sanchez regardless.  But this notion that he shopped for all the groceries is seriously flawed.  Maybe he can't use that as excuses, but it sure as hell seems like the new GM seems to have much more of a clue than Tannenbaum did, and Idzik hasn't fired him yet either.  We'll see how it plays out with some better offensive personnel.

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance.  I disagree.  That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL.  It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.  

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked.  Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.  Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game.  It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds.  He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams.  Were any among us complaining that he did that first year?  Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.  

And to me that's it, it all comes down to Sanchez.  Everything else is really pretty meaningless.  If we hit on Geno Smith and he ends up the next Russell Wilson, we're Super Bowl contenders and none of this matters.  If not, there's a good chance he gets fired and that's OK.  Messing up at the QB position is what gets people fired.  The perception will be that he messed up twice.

Thanks for your response.  It helps to know better where you're coming from.

1)Yes, I definitely think that the things Rex says has hurt the team.  I've read comments from players on opposing teams who have said that Rex's comments provided extra incentive and motivation for them so that negates your opinion.  His predictions of the SB also put a lot more pressure on Sanchez and the other Jets' players.  That's the last thing a rookie QB, especially one who only had one year of starting experience needed, was the pressure of making the SB.

2) You may be right about Sanchez, but we'll probably never know for certain.  I never wanted him, and especially didn't want the Jets to trade up for him.  Some fans wanna talk about his being coddled, but being coddled isn't being thrown to the wolves and forced to start your rookie season in the glare of NYC while your HC is predicting a SB victory.  That can't have helped him, nor could having an awful QB coach or an OC whose play calling was so predictable, play design often terrible, who didn't seem to understand how to set up plays to work, who called for the wildcat almost every time you got some momentum going, whose game plans usually stunk (trying to force the pass against teams who were great vs the pass and awful vs the run and vice-versa) and who admittedly over thought himself when he had too much time.

3) Every thing I read about him said that he needed to sit for a minimum of one year and possibly two.  I definitely was against his starting his rookie season.  While there weren't great options at QB in FA, there were some players out there that could have played better than Sanchez and given him a chance to adapt to the NFL pressure free.  Even if they didn't play any better, at least it wouldn't have rushed and pressured him so.  Low expectations?  Do you mean for Sanchez or the team?  Rex was predicting a SB victory.  That isn't low expectations.

I see things VERY differently from regarding Rex.  Following are the reasons I despise him and want him gone as soon as possible.

1. He made the Jets a circus and laughingstock of the NFL again with his stupid mouth.  The man must be a certifiable moron and he has no class.

2. He doesn't demand discipline from his players and he himself is undisciplined.  There is no accountability.  Players can play like crap and still keep their jobs.  This applies mostly to Sanchez, but also to Pace, Thomas, Scott, and Harris.  He fits the definition of insanity (continuing to do things the same way over and over, expecting a different result, when they haven't worked or rarely worked before).  

3.  Lost control of the locker room not once, but two years in a row.  That's inexcusable.  One time is a fireable offense.  Two definitely is.

4. Only a handful of times can we say that he out-coached his counterpart.  His game plans are lacking and his adjustments when things aren't working are slow or non-existent.

5.  In spite of being supposedly a "great" DC, and in contrast to his mantra when hired, his teams have failed to generate any real pressure on opposing QBs since 2009.  He's had nothing since the league figured out his DB blitzes.  In fairness, he hasn't had much talent to work with and no playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. (Revis is a great cover corner, but got few interceptions.)  As to how much input/influence he had with the draft and FA, we may never know, but it's curious at the least that the most glaring weaknesses on D were never addressed (pass-rushing OLB and ball-hawking FS).

6. Is clueless when it comes to the offense, and obviously either hasn't tried to learn anything, or is simply too stupid to learn anything.  Growing up the son of a coach, having been around football his whole life, and having to defend against offenses his whole professional life make this inexcusable.  He should have learned something by osmosis if no other way.  He says he wants a "ground and pound" offense, then isn't even aware that Schottenheimer is having Sanchez throw the ball 50+ times a game.

7.  I don't think he has the intelligence to succeed ultimately as a HC.  His old man didn't, and his brother doesn't.  Rex's comments and actions don't portray a man who has what it takes upstairs to get the job done imo.  He names the wrong players as team captains, then when they don't lead or do their jobs well, his solution is to do away with captains rather than letting the players pick the captains, or making better choices himself.

8.  He kept Schottenheimer as OC and Cavanaugh as QB Coach when it was clear to most fans that the offense was predictable and sucked and that Sanchez wasn't making much, if any improvement.  He then compounded the problem by hiring Sparano.

9. In spite of his being supposedly such a great motivator and DC, the team (especially the defense) has failed to show up for games all too often.  The team has suffered more blowout losses under Rex than they did under Mangini and Herm combined.

10.  Talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.  He's a prototypical bully/coward.  Talks tough, but when the going gets tough, chickens out, goes passive.  His Ds don't step on the throat of opponents and close games out, nor does he have his offense attack to try to win the game.  He gets conservative and settles for FGs. How many times have his Ds given up first down on 3rd and 17+?

I've probably forgotten a couple more reasons why I think he sucks as a HC, but you get my point.  

So Tom's still going with the "Rex made every single personnel decision" spin I see.

I'll agree that he should have benched Santonio and Sanchez regardless. But this notion that he shopped for all the groceries is seriously flawed. Maybe he can't use that as excuses, but it sure as hell seems like the new GM seems to have much more of a clue than Tannenbaum did, and Idzik hasn't fired him yet either. We'll see how it plays out with some better offensive personnel.

I didn't say he shopped for the groceries. I'm saying he grossly mishandled the ones he had. In any business, if you give preferential treatment to underperforming employees, and if you don't marginalize your malcontents, you run the risk of poisoning the whole environment. And Rex did. Coming out after the Eagles game (where Holmes humiliated the franchise) and lavishing praise on him was the one of the turning points in Rex's tenure here. Prior to that Eagles game, Rex's record was 28-17. Since that game, he's gone 6-13. To this day, Holmes hasn't had his pee-pee spanked. Ditto Sanchez. How do you think that plays in the locker room?

Posted this earlier in the "Fed Up" thread.  So there's a bit of redundancy in what has been stated above:

•             Members        
  •             3,760 posts        
  • 0 warning points

Posted Today, 09:41 AM

Rex's biggest offense is turning the team into a lopsided mess. In his first two seasons his roster was generally Mangini-built. That's how it is in a new coaches first couple of years, you inherit a team, then mold it to your own philosophy via the draft and FA. A better GM (not Tannenbaum) would have managed the roster and balanced the tralent better, but Rex, left to his own devices, ignored the offensive line, the WR position, the TE position and simply lobbied for more defensive additions. He then put the ball in the hands of an inexperienced QB while letting the offensive roster atrophy around him, and continued to take CB's and DL's with his highest draft picks. He then gives the least reputable player on the team a captain's patch (Holmes) and loses quality players like Cotchery. The team he builds is a big mouthed, questionable character group led by divas and overpaid, underperformers. There are on-field arguments, the Sal Alosi tripping incident, media leaks, bragadocio, players and former players public criticism of the team and its locker room. Westhoff publicly criticising bad contracts. There are further embarassments like foot-gate, flipping the bird in public, drunken and shirtless pics...the team becomes a rudderless ship. The offense is low on talent and doomed to fail. Shottenheimer and Sparano get fired. Tannenbaum gets fired. And Rex is still left standing. He earned his criticism.

Revis didn't play for over 14 weeks last season and our pass defense was still superb.  Try again.

You said "a top 5 pass defense year in and year out" bruh, not the last 14 weeks of the season. So there, I didn't even have to try 

You said "a top 5 pass defense year in and year out" bruh, not the last 14 weeks of the season. So there, I didn't even have to try 

Huh?  Crediting one player for the success of an entire defense is absurd enough on it's own, but when one of the years in question is one in which that player hardly played, that doesn't do much to support your theory.  In fact, it pretty successfully disproves it.  You say you didn't even have to try, but you might want to give trying a shot, because you're not making any sense.

Nice how you lazy ****s turned this into a "FIRE REX!" thread. He may get fired.  He may deserve to get fired, but the comment that set off this bullsh*t has nothing to do with it.  The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?  Get ****ed.  You're all nuts.  If defense is irrelevant, how is a pass rush going to change anything?  

Rookies Arrive, Minicamp Kicks Off

27 — Dee Milliner.

This guy better not suck.

Archived