Sign in to follow this  
flgreen

The Rookies are in the House

Good post, but you're still wrong.  lol.

How?  Why?  It's fine, we obviously disagree, but I wanna know exactly where and how we differ.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

How?  Why?  It's fine, we obviously disagree, but I wanna know exactly where and how we differ.

It seems our points of contention rely in the following:

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance.  I disagree.  That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL.  It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.  

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked.  Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.  Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game.  It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds.  He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams.  Were any among us complaining that he did that first year?  Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.  

Rex's sins in order of importance:

1) Agreeing to Sanchez's contract extension

2) Agreeing to draft Sanchez

And to me that's it, it all comes down to Sanchez.  Everything else is really pretty meaningless.  Because whatever you say, records of 9-7, 11-5, 8-8 and 6-10 with a 4-2 playoff record are pretty good for a Head Coach these days.  Particularly in his first 4 years in the league.  If he's let go here he'll have success elsewhere, either as a DC or HC.  He won't end up a TV analyst like Herm or Mangini.  

If we hit on Geno Smith and he ends up the next Russell Wilson, we're Super Bowl contenders and none of this matters.  If not, there's a good chance he gets fired and that's OK.  Messing up at the QB position is what gets people fired.  The perception will be that he messed up twice.

Edited by Jetsfan80

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance. I disagree. That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL. It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.

Considering the fact that the locker room has imploded two years in a row, it's safe to say that Rex's laissez-faire, hands-off, say what you want policy has hurt the team. You've surely heard the cliche that teams take on the personality of their coach, yes? Well, they did. Rex runs his mouth when they win and cries when they lose. He hasn't held any player accountable for sucking or being an a$$hole (Bart, Santonio, Sanchez, etc), and has even coddled those selfsame players. If you don't think Rex's glaring personality faults have affected the team, you're nuts.

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked. Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.

Rex doesn't get to use the Sanchez Excuse because Rex kept wheeling Sanchez out there to get him beat. Likewise, he doesn't get to use the No Alternative To Sanchez excuse because he consciously kept legitimate competition for Sanchez off the roster to avoid upsetting Sanchez. Rex tied Sanchez around his own neck. Nobody did that for him. Nobody should feel bad for him.

Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game. It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds. He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

Schottenheimer rubber-stamped not only Sanchez, but Kellen Clemens, too. He worked both of them out, he approved both picks, and he didn't/could t develop them.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams. Were any among us complaining that he did that first year? Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.

No quarterback is guaranteed his job based on something he did three years ago. Sanchez's play has been consistent from Day One. Any coach whose head isn't up his ass would realize that a QB who wasn't developing (a la Sanchez) shouldn't be guaranteed anything going into a fourth year, especially considering the abortion that 2011 was.

1. Being a gutless, self-absorbed moron whose ego ruined the locker room by coddling losers like Sanchez, Holmes, and Bart Scott long after it became clear that all three players were shredding the team's chances to win.

So Tom's still going with the "Rex made every single personnel decision" spin I see.  

I'll agree that he should have benched Santonio and Sanchez regardless.  But this notion that he shopped for all the groceries is seriously flawed.  Maybe he can't use that as excuses, but it sure as hell seems like the new GM seems to have much more of a clue than Tannenbaum did, and Idzik hasn't fired him yet either.  We'll see how it plays out with some better offensive personnel.

Edited by Jetsfan80

1) You think Rex's big mouth affects the teams performance.  I disagree.  That sh** doesn't matter much in the NFL.  It matters to the media and fans, but the team doesn't spend much time thinking about those things in the week before games.  

2) You think the OC's Rex hired sucked.  Maybe they did, but no OC was going to fix Sanchez.  Schottenheimer actually did a decent job hiding the QB his first 2 years with the running game.  It's still pretty remarkable to think that Thomas f-ing Jones ran for over 1,400 yds.  He was the quintessential average starting NFL running back.

3) You also noted that Sanchez probably wouldn't have been the Day 1 starter for most teams.  Were any among us complaining that he did that first year?  Yeah, he sucked, but the results were there for the team despite low expectations heading into the season.  

And to me that's it, it all comes down to Sanchez.  Everything else is really pretty meaningless.  If we hit on Geno Smith and he ends up the next Russell Wilson, we're Super Bowl contenders and none of this matters.  If not, there's a good chance he gets fired and that's OK.  Messing up at the QB position is what gets people fired.  The perception will be that he messed up twice.

Thanks for your response.  It helps to know better where you're coming from.

1)Yes, I definitely think that the things Rex says has hurt the team.  I've read comments from players on opposing teams who have said that Rex's comments provided extra incentive and motivation for them so that negates your opinion.  His predictions of the SB also put a lot more pressure on Sanchez and the other Jets' players.  That's the last thing a rookie QB, especially one who only had one year of starting experience needed, was the pressure of making the SB.

2) You may be right about Sanchez, but we'll probably never know for certain.  I never wanted him, and especially didn't want the Jets to trade up for him.  Some fans wanna talk about his being coddled, but being coddled isn't being thrown to the wolves and forced to start your rookie season in the glare of NYC while your HC is predicting a SB victory.  That can't have helped him, nor could having an awful QB coach or an OC whose play calling was so predictable, play design often terrible, who didn't seem to understand how to set up plays to work, who called for the wildcat almost every time you got some momentum going, whose game plans usually stunk (trying to force the pass against teams who were great vs the pass and awful vs the run and vice-versa) and who admittedly over thought himself when he had too much time.

3) Every thing I read about him said that he needed to sit for a minimum of one year and possibly two.  I definitely was against his starting his rookie season.  While there weren't great options at QB in FA, there were some players out there that could have played better than Sanchez and given him a chance to adapt to the NFL pressure free.  Even if they didn't play any better, at least it wouldn't have rushed and pressured him so.  Low expectations?  Do you mean for Sanchez or the team?  Rex was predicting a SB victory.  That isn't low expectations.

I see things VERY differently from regarding Rex.  Following are the reasons I despise him and want him gone as soon as possible.

1. He made the Jets a circus and laughingstock of the NFL again with his stupid mouth.  The man must be a certifiable moron and he has no class.

2. He doesn't demand discipline from his players and he himself is undisciplined.  There is no accountability.  Players can play like crap and still keep their jobs.  This applies mostly to Sanchez, but also to Pace, Thomas, Scott, and Harris.  He fits the definition of insanity (continuing to do things the same way over and over, expecting a different result, when they haven't worked or rarely worked before).  

3.  Lost control of the locker room not once, but two years in a row.  That's inexcusable.  One time is a fireable offense.  Two definitely is.

4. Only a handful of times can we say that he out-coached his counterpart.  His game plans are lacking and his adjustments when things aren't working are slow or non-existent.

5.  In spite of being supposedly a "great" DC, and in contrast to his mantra when hired, his teams have failed to generate any real pressure on opposing QBs since 2009.  He's had nothing since the league figured out his DB blitzes.  In fairness, he hasn't had much talent to work with and no playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. (Revis is a great cover corner, but got few interceptions.)  As to how much input/influence he had with the draft and FA, we may never know, but it's curious at the least that the most glaring weaknesses on D were never addressed (pass-rushing OLB and ball-hawking FS).

6. Is clueless when it comes to the offense, and obviously either hasn't tried to learn anything, or is simply too stupid to learn anything.  Growing up the son of a coach, having been around football his whole life, and having to defend against offenses his whole professional life make this inexcusable.  He should have learned something by osmosis if no other way.  He says he wants a "ground and pound" offense, then isn't even aware that Schottenheimer is having Sanchez throw the ball 50+ times a game.

7.  I don't think he has the intelligence to succeed ultimately as a HC.  His old man didn't, and his brother doesn't.  Rex's comments and actions don't portray a man who has what it takes upstairs to get the job done imo.  He names the wrong players as team captains, then when they don't lead or do their jobs well, his solution is to do away with captains rather than letting the players pick the captains, or making better choices himself.

8.  He kept Schottenheimer as OC and Cavanaugh as QB Coach when it was clear to most fans that the offense was predictable and sucked and that Sanchez wasn't making much, if any improvement.  He then compounded the problem by hiring Sparano.

9. In spite of his being supposedly such a great motivator and DC, the team (especially the defense) has failed to show up for games all too often.  The team has suffered more blowout losses under Rex than they did under Mangini and Herm combined.

10.  Talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.  He's a prototypical bully/coward.  Talks tough, but when the going gets tough, chickens out, goes passive.  His Ds don't step on the throat of opponents and close games out, nor does he have his offense attack to try to win the game.  He gets conservative and settles for FGs. How many times have his Ds given up first down on 3rd and 17+?

I've probably forgotten a couple more reasons why I think he sucks as a HC, but you get my point.  

Edited by JoeKlecko

So Tom's still going with the "Rex made every single personnel decision" spin I see.

I'll agree that he should have benched Santonio and Sanchez regardless. But this notion that he shopped for all the groceries is seriously flawed. Maybe he can't use that as excuses, but it sure as hell seems like the new GM seems to have much more of a clue than Tannenbaum did, and Idzik hasn't fired him yet either. We'll see how it plays out with some better offensive personnel.

I didn't say he shopped for the groceries. I'm saying he grossly mishandled the ones he had. In any business, if you give preferential treatment to underperforming employees, and if you don't marginalize your malcontents, you run the risk of poisoning the whole environment. And Rex did. Coming out after the Eagles game (where Holmes humiliated the franchise) and lavishing praise on him was the one of the turning points in Rex's tenure here. Prior to that Eagles game, Rex's record was 28-17. Since that game, he's gone 6-13. To this day, Holmes hasn't had his pee-pee spanked. Ditto Sanchez. How do you think that plays in the locker room?

Posted this earlier in the "Fed Up" thread.  So there's a bit of redundancy in what has been stated above:

•             Members        
  •             3,760 posts        
  • 0 warning points

Posted Today, 09:41 AM

Rex's biggest offense is turning the team into a lopsided mess. In his first two seasons his roster was generally Mangini-built. That's how it is in a new coaches first couple of years, you inherit a team, then mold it to your own philosophy via the draft and FA. A better GM (not Tannenbaum) would have managed the roster and balanced the tralent better, but Rex, left to his own devices, ignored the offensive line, the WR position, the TE position and simply lobbied for more defensive additions. He then put the ball in the hands of an inexperienced QB while letting the offensive roster atrophy around him, and continued to take CB's and DL's with his highest draft picks. He then gives the least reputable player on the team a captain's patch (Holmes) and loses quality players like Cotchery. The team he builds is a big mouthed, questionable character group led by divas and overpaid, underperformers. There are on-field arguments, the Sal Alosi tripping incident, media leaks, bragadocio, players and former players public criticism of the team and its locker room. Westhoff publicly criticising bad contracts. There are further embarassments like foot-gate, flipping the bird in public, drunken and shirtless pics...the team becomes a rudderless ship. The offense is low on talent and doomed to fail. Shottenheimer and Sparano get fired. Tannenbaum gets fired. And Rex is still left standing. He earned his criticism.

Revis didn't play for over 14 weeks last season and our pass defense was still superb.  Try again.

You said "a top 5 pass defense year in and year out" bruh, not the last 14 weeks of the season. So there, I didn't even have to try 

You said "a top 5 pass defense year in and year out" bruh, not the last 14 weeks of the season. So there, I didn't even have to try 

Huh?  Crediting one player for the success of an entire defense is absurd enough on it's own, but when one of the years in question is one in which that player hardly played, that doesn't do much to support your theory.  In fact, it pretty successfully disproves it.  You say you didn't even have to try, but you might want to give trying a shot, because you're not making any sense.

Nice how you lazy ****s turned this into a "FIRE REX!" thread. He may get fired.  He may deserve to get fired, but the comment that set off this bullsh*t has nothing to do with it.  The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?  Get ****ed.  You're all nuts.  If defense is irrelevant, how is a pass rush going to change anything?  

Rookies Arrive, Minicamp Kicks Off

27 — Dee Milliner.

This guy better not suck.

Huh?  Crediting one player for the success of an entire defense is absurd enough on it's own, but when one of the years in question is one in which that player hardly played, that doesn't do much to support your theory.  In fact, it pretty successfully disproves it.  You say you didn't even have to try, but you might want to give trying a shot, because you're not making any sense.

Huh? I never stated a theory for starters. In fact, all I did was mention the name "Revis" when one mentioned having a top 5 pass defense year in and year out.  If you feel Revis didn't play a huge role in that then your a fool. I don't recall saying "Revis" plus giving him all the credit for the entire defense having success, I simply just stated the name Revis.  So there you have it again, I still didn't have to try 

Huh? I never stated a theory for starters. In fact, all I did was mention the name "Revis" when one mentioned having a top 5 pass defense year in and year out.  If you feel Revis didn't play a huge role in that then your a fool. I don't recall saying "Revis" plus giving him all the credit for the entire defense having success, I simply just stated the name Revis.  So there you have it again, I still didn't have to try 

Which is probably why you failed again.  You credited Revis as the reason the Jets had a top 5 pass defense every year.  Revis hardly played last year and the Jets still had the #2 pass D, so it would seem you are wrong.  That's not to mention the Jets had the 29th ranked pass D in Mangini's last year, even with Revis.  None of this is to say Revis wasn't a great player and didn't play a part in the success of the pass D in his time here, but there is literally nothing to support the concept that he was the cause of it's success, which is what you alluded to, even though you're desperately trying to backpedal now.

Edited by Bleedin Green

How many games have the Jets won the last 2 years?  How many Division Titles, Conference Championships and Lombardi 

Trophies????  He's paid to be the HC and get wins, not be a glorified DC who racks up statistics, but his team can't win when the chips are down.

I think Rex is probably THE most overrated coach in the NFL.

Norv Turner and Jason Garrett beg to differ. 

Norv Turner and Jason Garrett beg to differ. 

LOL  Perhaps at one time, but I don't think that anyone still thinks that either Norv Turner or Jason Garrett are quality HCs.  LOTS of Jets fans still think that Rex is a great HC.

Which is probably why you failed again.  You credited Revis as the reason the Jets had a top 5 pass defense every year.  Revis hardly played last year and the Jets still had the #2 pass D, so it would seem you are wrong.  That's not to mention the Jets had the 29th ranked pass D in Mangini's last year, even with Revis.  None of this is to say Revis wasn't a great player and didn't play a part in the success of the pass D in his time here, but there is literally nothing to support the concept that he was the cause of it's success, which is what you alluded to, even though you're desperately trying to backpedal now.

Desperately trying to back pedal? I think not. Failed again? Sorry, I only win.   I mentioned one word, "Revis," and you started in with your assumptions of me giving him 100% credit for the Jets pass defense success.  Your just the typical Revis hater here who loves to make an argument wherever you see his name like some Anti-Revis Diva.....get lost bruh, you annoy me

Nice how you lazy ****s turned this into a "FIRE REX!" thread. He may get fired.  He may deserve to get fired, but the comment that set off this bullsh*t has nothing to do with it.  The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?  Get ****ed.  You're all nuts.  If defense is irrelevant, how is a pass rush going to change anything?  

This guy better not suck.

Sorry, but you think a pass rush isn't necessary and you're calling US nuts?  You obviously haven't been watching the same NFL games we have or have no clue what you're looking at.

Rex's idea of having the offense put up a few points and then winning the games with the D is insane and totally lacking in reality.  He is a clueless doofus much of the time.

Desperately trying to back pedal? I think not. Failed again? Sorry, I only win.   I mentioned one word, "Revis," and you started in with your assumptions of me giving him 100% credit for the Jets pass defense success.  Your just the typical Revis hater here who loves to make an argument wherever you see his name like some Anti-Revis Diva.....get lost bruh, you annoy me

So let's assume for a moment that I did in fact misinterpret what your "Revis" post was meant to say (which you have still yet to explain what that supposedly was).  I have no problem with that, but then if you don't think Revis deserves to be completely credited with the success of the pass defense, then why are so angry for me saying exactly that?  I plainly stated that I thought Revis was a great player who was certainly a benefit to this defense, but simply wasn't deserving of sole credit for the success of the passing D.  You're somewhat insinuating that you agree with that premise, while at the same time flipping out at me because I said that.  So rather than telling us what you're not saying and why everyone else is wrong about what you meant; how about you just actually tell us what you meant?  You know, actually take a position, stand by it and defend it.

I'd be more than happy to actually have a clue what it is you're trying to say, but you have yet to actually make that clear, instead choosing to deny agreeing with every possible variation of the opinions that have been mentioned.

Sorry, but you think a pass rush isn't necessary and you're calling US nuts?  You obviously haven't been watching the same NFL games we have or have no clue what you're looking at.

Rex's idea of having the offense put up a few points and then winning the games with the D is insane and totally lacking in reality.  He is a clueless doofus much of the time.

Yes.  You are nuts.  This post confirms.  Please use logic to explain how a pass rush would have helped the 2011 and 2012 Jets?  The defense was good and they couldn't score.  Pass rush solves that how?  They scored 10 points or less in 7 games.  A pass rush doesn't help you in those. Your second paragraph further enforces the reality disconnect.  

So let's assume for a moment that I did in fact misinterpret what your "Revis" post was meant to say (which you have still yet to explain what that supposedly was).  I have no problem with that, but then if you don't think Revis deserves to be completely credited with the success of the pass defense, then why are so angry for me saying exactly that?  I plainly stated that I thought Revis was a great player who was certainly a benefit to this defense, but simply wasn't deserving of sole credit for the success of the passing D.  You're somewhat insinuating that you agree with that premise, while at the same time flipping out at me because I said that.  So rather than telling us what you're not saying and why everyone else is wrong about what you meant; how about you just actually tell us what you meant?  You know, actually take a position, stand by it and defend it.

I'd be more than happy to actually have a clue what it is you're trying to say, but you have yet to actually make that clear, instead choosing to deny agreeing with every possible variation of the opinions that have been mentioned.

Ok, here's your clue: My position is that Revis played a HUGE roll in us having a top pass defense in the previous years.  I made a one word statement, not a theory.  Instead of assuming you could have asked me to explain and I would have. Or am I not aloud to make a one word statement? 

And I am not by all means "flipping out" or "so angry"... don't give yourself so much credit ..you were putting words in my mouth and I was disagreeing with it.  That to me is annoying.  Its not like I'm over here trashing my office bc of your useless message board comments.

Yes.  You are nuts.  This post confirms.  Please use logic to explain how a pass rush would have helped the 2011 and 2012 Jets?  The defense was good and they couldn't score.  Pass rush solves that how?  They scored 10 points or less in 7 games.  A pass rush doesn't help you in those. Your second paragraph further enforces the reality disconnect.  

If I'm nuts (and I may be), it's because I've rooted for the Jets for almost 50 years and been reading idiotic comments/posts like yours for the last 15 or so.

I'm not going to waste my time or energy trying to explain it to you.  If you can't understand how a pass rush would help, you obviously don't know enough about the game to waste my time speaking with you on this issue.

If I'm nuts (and I may be), it's because I've rooted for the Jets for almost 50 years and been reading idiotic comments/posts like yours for the last 15 or so.

I'm not going to waste my time or energy trying to explain it to you.  If you can't understand how a pass rush would help, you obviously don't know enough about the game to waste my time speaking with you on this issue.

Hahahahahaha

We have a good defense

You can't win with defense.

+ pass rush

= VICTORY!

Yep.  You got me.  I don't understand football!

This is my last post to you, but YOU were the one who said:

The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?

No one said that adding a pass rush was going to solve our offensive problems, nor did anyone say that we could then win with defense.  You're the one who somehow twisted it and construed it to mean that with your lousy logic and/or reading skills.

I merely said it would HELP.  To say that any football team doesn't need a pass rush is idiotic plain and simple.  It's a passing league now.  Even the best DBs can only keep their receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.  The Jets are incapable of getting any consistent pressure.  Give any pro QB not named Sanchez all day (+5 seconds or more) to find an open receiver and he'll pick you to pieces.  They don't need to run the ball.  It's then hard to win, when the other team keeps the ball for long sustained drives, tires out the D and then scores TDs pretty easily.  It's even harder when your idiotic HC is willing to settle for FGs when our offense has the ball, or who wants to try to win in a way as if it's still the early 1960s.

This is my last post to you, but YOU were the one who said:

No one said that adding a pass rush was going to solve our offensive problems, nor did anyone say that we could then win with defense.  You're the one who somehow twisted it and construed it to mean that with your lousy logic and/or reading skills.

I merely said it would HELP.  To say that any football team doesn't need a pass rush is idiotic plain and simple.  It's a passing league now.  Even the best DBs can only keep their receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.  The Jets are incapable of getting any consistent pressure.  Give any pro QB not named Sanchez all day (+5 seconds or more) to find an open receiver and he'll pick you to pieces.  They don't need to run the ball.  It's then hard to win, when the other team keeps the ball for long sustained drives, tires out the D and then scores TDs pretty easily.  It's even harder when your idiotic HC is willing to settle for FGs when our offense has the ball, or who wants to try to win in a way as if it's still the early 1960s.

This is pretty funny.  Of course having a pass rush is better than not having a pass rush.  OTOH, it is moronic to think that a pass rush would make any difference to a team that has had a top 10 defense for the past 4 years and is finding it increasingly difficult to win.  You went into a tirade against Rex and somehow equated "lack of pass rush" with the Jets problem.  The fact is they have a top tier pass D.  WITHOUT A PASS RUSH. Therefore, a pass rush is not the problem.  Simple, yet somehow you have changed the target to a pass rush would help.  Help what?  Help lose 21-10 instead of 24-10? 

This is pretty funny. Of course having a pass rush is better than not having a pass rush. OTOH, it is moronic to think that a pass rush would make any difference to a team that has had a top 10 defense for the past 4 years and is finding it increasingly difficult to win. You went into a tirade against Rex and somehow equated "lack of pass rush" with the Jets problem. The fact is they have a top tier pass D. WITHOUT A PASS RUSH. Therefore, a pass rush is not the problem. Simple, yet somehow you have changed the target to a pass rush would help. Help what? Help lose 21-10 instead of 24-10?

For the last two seasons, do you really think the Jets had a "top ten defense"? Or did they just have a "top ten defense" when they played the Ryan Lindley's of the world? The Jets got smooooooked any time they played an established QB last year. Maybe putting the thought in Tom Brady's or Matt Schaub's head that there's a Jason Pierre Paul coming after him changes their perspective on sitting in the pocket. Pass rushers, who get to the QB outside of the scheme, affect QB play. Is this at all deniable?

For the last two seasons, do you really think the Jets had a "top ten defense"? Or did they just have a "top ten defense" when they played the Ryan Lindley's of the world? The Jets got smooooooked any time they played an established QB last year. Maybe putting the thought in Tom Brady's or Matt Schaub's head that there's a Jason Pierre Paul coming after him changes their perspective on sitting in the pocket. Pass rushers, who get to the QB outside of the scheme, affect QB play. Is this at all deniable?

This may be why Idzik is re-shaping the defense into more of a 4-3 look.  With Coples and Wilkerson on the outside and Richardson and Ellis on the inside we'll be looking to create a consistent pass rush. 

Yes, I really think they were a top 10 defense.  Not a dominant defense, not a defense that could win with no offense, but a top 10 defense?  **** yeah.  Easily.  No doubt.  I won't jump up and down and say "2nd best pass defense!" based on 2012, but IMO they were top 10 and that was without Revis.  Have you watched any of these teams with supposedly great defenses?  Everybody gives up points and yards.  

There are a million reasons to bash Rex Ryan, but the performance of the defense is not one of them. The only reason to bash the defense is if you are an all he cares about is defense and the defense is not good enough to carry this sh*tty O.  There is no way on God's green earth that allocating MORE resources to the D (pass rushers are an expensive commodity) is the answer unless it is because they are the best value. 

I can see that this is going to be a big theme this year. That, and 2010 nostalgia.

I don't mind it.  I like Rex and think he has a great deal of value as a coach, but he certainly isn't perfect and when the results aren't there, like the last two years, he deserves even more bashing than a run of the mill coach with the same production.  OTOH, I will rage against people inventing agditional things to complain about.  Rex provides no shortage of things to complain about.  Recycling our past complaints is just lazy.