The Rookies are in the House

flgreen

Huh?  Crediting one player for the success of an entire defense is absurd enough on it's own, but when one of the years in question is one in which that player hardly played, that doesn't do much to support your theory.  In fact, it pretty successfully disproves it.  You say you didn't even have to try, but you might want to give trying a shot, because you're not making any sense.

Huh? I never stated a theory for starters. In fact, all I did was mention the name "Revis" when one mentioned having a top 5 pass defense year in and year out.  If you feel Revis didn't play a huge role in that then your a fool. I don't recall saying "Revis" plus giving him all the credit for the entire defense having success, I simply just stated the name Revis.  So there you have it again, I still didn't have to try 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh? I never stated a theory for starters. In fact, all I did was mention the name "Revis" when one mentioned having a top 5 pass defense year in and year out.  If you feel Revis didn't play a huge role in that then your a fool. I don't recall saying "Revis" plus giving him all the credit for the entire defense having success, I simply just stated the name Revis.  So there you have it again, I still didn't have to try 

Which is probably why you failed again.  You credited Revis as the reason the Jets had a top 5 pass defense every year.  Revis hardly played last year and the Jets still had the #2 pass D, so it would seem you are wrong.  That's not to mention the Jets had the 29th ranked pass D in Mangini's last year, even with Revis.  None of this is to say Revis wasn't a great player and didn't play a part in the success of the pass D in his time here, but there is literally nothing to support the concept that he was the cause of it's success, which is what you alluded to, even though you're desperately trying to backpedal now.

How many games have the Jets won the last 2 years?  How many Division Titles, Conference Championships and Lombardi 

Trophies????  He's paid to be the HC and get wins, not be a glorified DC who racks up statistics, but his team can't win when the chips are down.

I think Rex is probably THE most overrated coach in the NFL.

Norv Turner and Jason Garrett beg to differ. 

Norv Turner and Jason Garrett beg to differ. 

LOL  Perhaps at one time, but I don't think that anyone still thinks that either Norv Turner or Jason Garrett are quality HCs.  LOTS of Jets fans still think that Rex is a great HC.

Which is probably why you failed again.  You credited Revis as the reason the Jets had a top 5 pass defense every year.  Revis hardly played last year and the Jets still had the #2 pass D, so it would seem you are wrong.  That's not to mention the Jets had the 29th ranked pass D in Mangini's last year, even with Revis.  None of this is to say Revis wasn't a great player and didn't play a part in the success of the pass D in his time here, but there is literally nothing to support the concept that he was the cause of it's success, which is what you alluded to, even though you're desperately trying to backpedal now.

Desperately trying to back pedal? I think not. Failed again? Sorry, I only win.   I mentioned one word, "Revis," and you started in with your assumptions of me giving him 100% credit for the Jets pass defense success.  Your just the typical Revis hater here who loves to make an argument wherever you see his name like some Anti-Revis Diva.....get lost bruh, you annoy me

Nice how you lazy ****s turned this into a "FIRE REX!" thread. He may get fired.  He may deserve to get fired, but the comment that set off this bullsh*t has nothing to do with it.  The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?  Get ****ed.  You're all nuts.  If defense is irrelevant, how is a pass rush going to change anything?  

This guy better not suck.

Sorry, but you think a pass rush isn't necessary and you're calling US nuts?  You obviously haven't been watching the same NFL games we have or have no clue what you're looking at.

Rex's idea of having the offense put up a few points and then winning the games with the D is insane and totally lacking in reality.  He is a clueless doofus much of the time.

Desperately trying to back pedal? I think not. Failed again? Sorry, I only win.   I mentioned one word, "Revis," and you started in with your assumptions of me giving him 100% credit for the Jets pass defense success.  Your just the typical Revis hater here who loves to make an argument wherever you see his name like some Anti-Revis Diva.....get lost bruh, you annoy me

So let's assume for a moment that I did in fact misinterpret what your "Revis" post was meant to say (which you have still yet to explain what that supposedly was).  I have no problem with that, but then if you don't think Revis deserves to be completely credited with the success of the pass defense, then why are so angry for me saying exactly that?  I plainly stated that I thought Revis was a great player who was certainly a benefit to this defense, but simply wasn't deserving of sole credit for the success of the passing D.  You're somewhat insinuating that you agree with that premise, while at the same time flipping out at me because I said that.  So rather than telling us what you're not saying and why everyone else is wrong about what you meant; how about you just actually tell us what you meant?  You know, actually take a position, stand by it and defend it.

I'd be more than happy to actually have a clue what it is you're trying to say, but you have yet to actually make that clear, instead choosing to deny agreeing with every possible variation of the opinions that have been mentioned.

Sorry, but you think a pass rush isn't necessary and you're calling US nuts?  You obviously haven't been watching the same NFL games we have or have no clue what you're looking at.

Rex's idea of having the offense put up a few points and then winning the games with the D is insane and totally lacking in reality.  He is a clueless doofus much of the time.

Yes.  You are nuts.  This post confirms.  Please use logic to explain how a pass rush would have helped the 2011 and 2012 Jets?  The defense was good and they couldn't score.  Pass rush solves that how?  They scored 10 points or less in 7 games.  A pass rush doesn't help you in those. Your second paragraph further enforces the reality disconnect.  

So let's assume for a moment that I did in fact misinterpret what your "Revis" post was meant to say (which you have still yet to explain what that supposedly was).  I have no problem with that, but then if you don't think Revis deserves to be completely credited with the success of the pass defense, then why are so angry for me saying exactly that?  I plainly stated that I thought Revis was a great player who was certainly a benefit to this defense, but simply wasn't deserving of sole credit for the success of the passing D.  You're somewhat insinuating that you agree with that premise, while at the same time flipping out at me because I said that.  So rather than telling us what you're not saying and why everyone else is wrong about what you meant; how about you just actually tell us what you meant?  You know, actually take a position, stand by it and defend it.

I'd be more than happy to actually have a clue what it is you're trying to say, but you have yet to actually make that clear, instead choosing to deny agreeing with every possible variation of the opinions that have been mentioned.

Ok, here's your clue: My position is that Revis played a HUGE roll in us having a top pass defense in the previous years.  I made a one word statement, not a theory.  Instead of assuming you could have asked me to explain and I would have. Or am I not aloud to make a one word statement? 

And I am not by all means "flipping out" or "so angry"... don't give yourself so much credit ..you were putting words in my mouth and I was disagreeing with it.  That to me is annoying.  Its not like I'm over here trashing my office bc of your useless message board comments.

Yes.  You are nuts.  This post confirms.  Please use logic to explain how a pass rush would have helped the 2011 and 2012 Jets?  The defense was good and they couldn't score.  Pass rush solves that how?  They scored 10 points or less in 7 games.  A pass rush doesn't help you in those. Your second paragraph further enforces the reality disconnect.  

If I'm nuts (and I may be), it's because I've rooted for the Jets for almost 50 years and been reading idiotic comments/posts like yours for the last 15 or so.

I'm not going to waste my time or energy trying to explain it to you.  If you can't understand how a pass rush would help, you obviously don't know enough about the game to waste my time speaking with you on this issue.

If I'm nuts (and I may be), it's because I've rooted for the Jets for almost 50 years and been reading idiotic comments/posts like yours for the last 15 or so.

I'm not going to waste my time or energy trying to explain it to you.  If you can't understand how a pass rush would help, you obviously don't know enough about the game to waste my time speaking with you on this issue.

Hahahahahaha

We have a good defense

You can't win with defense.

+ pass rush

= VICTORY!

Yep.  You got me.  I don't understand football!

This is my last post to you, but YOU were the one who said:

The team does not NEED a pass rush.  I keep hearing about how we NEED a pass rush, but the fact that defense has been good to great the entire time the guy has been here.  All I hear is that you can't win with defense, you need offense, but somehow a pass rush is going to solve that?

No one said that adding a pass rush was going to solve our offensive problems, nor did anyone say that we could then win with defense.  You're the one who somehow twisted it and construed it to mean that with your lousy logic and/or reading skills.

I merely said it would HELP.  To say that any football team doesn't need a pass rush is idiotic plain and simple.  It's a passing league now.  Even the best DBs can only keep their receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.  The Jets are incapable of getting any consistent pressure.  Give any pro QB not named Sanchez all day (+5 seconds or more) to find an open receiver and he'll pick you to pieces.  They don't need to run the ball.  It's then hard to win, when the other team keeps the ball for long sustained drives, tires out the D and then scores TDs pretty easily.  It's even harder when your idiotic HC is willing to settle for FGs when our offense has the ball, or who wants to try to win in a way as if it's still the early 1960s.

This is my last post to you, but YOU were the one who said:

No one said that adding a pass rush was going to solve our offensive problems, nor did anyone say that we could then win with defense.  You're the one who somehow twisted it and construed it to mean that with your lousy logic and/or reading skills.

I merely said it would HELP.  To say that any football team doesn't need a pass rush is idiotic plain and simple.  It's a passing league now.  Even the best DBs can only keep their receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.  The Jets are incapable of getting any consistent pressure.  Give any pro QB not named Sanchez all day (+5 seconds or more) to find an open receiver and he'll pick you to pieces.  They don't need to run the ball.  It's then hard to win, when the other team keeps the ball for long sustained drives, tires out the D and then scores TDs pretty easily.  It's even harder when your idiotic HC is willing to settle for FGs when our offense has the ball, or who wants to try to win in a way as if it's still the early 1960s.

This is pretty funny.  Of course having a pass rush is better than not having a pass rush.  OTOH, it is moronic to think that a pass rush would make any difference to a team that has had a top 10 defense for the past 4 years and is finding it increasingly difficult to win.  You went into a tirade against Rex and somehow equated "lack of pass rush" with the Jets problem.  The fact is they have a top tier pass D.  WITHOUT A PASS RUSH. Therefore, a pass rush is not the problem.  Simple, yet somehow you have changed the target to a pass rush would help.  Help what?  Help lose 21-10 instead of 24-10? 

This is pretty funny. Of course having a pass rush is better than not having a pass rush. OTOH, it is moronic to think that a pass rush would make any difference to a team that has had a top 10 defense for the past 4 years and is finding it increasingly difficult to win. You went into a tirade against Rex and somehow equated "lack of pass rush" with the Jets problem. The fact is they have a top tier pass D. WITHOUT A PASS RUSH. Therefore, a pass rush is not the problem. Simple, yet somehow you have changed the target to a pass rush would help. Help what? Help lose 21-10 instead of 24-10?

For the last two seasons, do you really think the Jets had a "top ten defense"? Or did they just have a "top ten defense" when they played the Ryan Lindley's of the world? The Jets got smooooooked any time they played an established QB last year. Maybe putting the thought in Tom Brady's or Matt Schaub's head that there's a Jason Pierre Paul coming after him changes their perspective on sitting in the pocket. Pass rushers, who get to the QB outside of the scheme, affect QB play. Is this at all deniable?

For the last two seasons, do you really think the Jets had a "top ten defense"? Or did they just have a "top ten defense" when they played the Ryan Lindley's of the world? The Jets got smooooooked any time they played an established QB last year. Maybe putting the thought in Tom Brady's or Matt Schaub's head that there's a Jason Pierre Paul coming after him changes their perspective on sitting in the pocket. Pass rushers, who get to the QB outside of the scheme, affect QB play. Is this at all deniable?

This may be why Idzik is re-shaping the defense into more of a 4-3 look.  With Coples and Wilkerson on the outside and Richardson and Ellis on the inside we'll be looking to create a consistent pass rush. 

Yes, I really think they were a top 10 defense.  Not a dominant defense, not a defense that could win with no offense, but a top 10 defense?  **** yeah.  Easily.  No doubt.  I won't jump up and down and say "2nd best pass defense!" based on 2012, but IMO they were top 10 and that was without Revis.  Have you watched any of these teams with supposedly great defenses?  Everybody gives up points and yards.  

There are a million reasons to bash Rex Ryan, but the performance of the defense is not one of them. The only reason to bash the defense is if you are an all he cares about is defense and the defense is not good enough to carry this sh*tty O.  There is no way on God's green earth that allocating MORE resources to the D (pass rushers are an expensive commodity) is the answer unless it is because they are the best value. 

I can see that this is going to be a big theme this year. That, and 2010 nostalgia.

I don't mind it.  I like Rex and think he has a great deal of value as a coach, but he certainly isn't perfect and when the results aren't there, like the last two years, he deserves even more bashing than a run of the mill coach with the same production.  OTOH, I will rage against people inventing agditional things to complain about.  Rex provides no shortage of things to complain about.  Recycling our past complaints is just lazy.

Archived