Sign in to follow this  
Barton

Coples as an OLB? Is Rex desparate or clueless here?

Brandt had him at #4 as his top DE.

Sure, he had that whole "college career" thing. But what about that one game? Also, he did stuff in shorts and a t-shirt. Plus, Doug Farrar and Andrew Brandt (!) said things.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Gil Brandt had him at 4. 

Had him at 5 in January 2012:

5. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

A first-team All-ACC selection in 2010 and 2011, he's an all-out every-down player.

Edited by SenorGato

I think you have to give Rex the benefit of the doubt on his defensive moves though I see the personnel here far more suited to a 43 than moving Coples to a 34 OLB. But I trust Rex with the defense as much as I distrust him with the offense. On the topic of Coples Im not sure how much that pick was really his. I know everyone says it was his guy but he has been on Coples more than any player I can think of. Now maybe thats because Rex doesnt want people to think he is treating his pick with kids gloves but I kind of think Rex preferred to trade down and take Chandler Jones or something like that. 

I think that you're spot on in this analysis of Rex.  He does focus on fundamentals, and I think that's why the defense has played as well as it has.  I think strategy and even analysis of talent is where he falls short.  There have been a few games where he has outcoached and out-game planned his opponents, but not many.  In fairness, Rex has come up with some good schemes to try to make up for the lack of talent at key positions, but once those schemes are figured out by opposing coaches, he has nothing.  He is also very slow to realize when something isn't working, or at least very slow to change, and often stands there with a confused look on his face.  I just don't think he's very smart.  He's not a one-trick pony, but neither is he the be-all and end-all of DCs imo.

As I think Smash said, Rex has seemed content to stand pat with the glacially slow Thomas and Pace at OLB, when the pass-rushing OLB is THE most important position in a 3-4 D alignment.  The lack of speed at LB has killed the Jets time and time again.  I think it's a huge part of why they have often been unable to shut down opponents at key moments in games and why they can't get off the field on 3rd down.  In spite of his being all about pressuring opposing QBs, his defenses have brought very little pressure once other teams figured out his DB blitzes.

Those failings, along with his total ignorance about offense, and is lack of accountability and discipline are why I think he isn't a good HC and should be fired following this season unless we see some major improvements from him in those areas.  His offensive cluelessness is puzzling.  Since he's spent so many years figuring out how to stop opposing offenses, one would think that he'd have learned something about offensive philosophy, and would have learned how opposing teams went about attacking his Ds, yet he doesn't seem to have learned one single thing.

Thats been the killer for Rex. In 2009 those blitz packages took the league by storm. People pointed to Revis as the guy but it was a combination of Revis and those blitzes that made the defense so good. Statistically Revis has never come close to 2009 again (always great but 2009 was other worldly) and the reason was because the schemes were picked apart in the 2009 offseason. Once the scheme was picked apart the defense didnt have the horses to carry it out. The Jets upset the Pats in the playoffs in part because the Pats didnt take the Jets seriously and because Rex completely changed up his defensive plan with the all DB attack that the Pats refused to acknowledge until it was too late in th egame. It was probably Ryans finest moment as a coach because he outsmarted Belichick and knew he was too stubborn to change. If the Pats started running in the 2nd or 3rd quarter they would have beat us that day but they didnt give in until it was far too late in the game. 

But Rex has such a hard time letting go. I could only watch Eric Smith literally getting stood up at the point of attack on every blitz attempt so many times but Rex would keep it going and going and going. Hes ridiculously loyal to his players. How he kept Scott, Pace, and BT out there is just a slap in the face of everyone. Pace is probably the worst rush linebacker in the NFL and its no surprise none of these players could find a home. I think he just feels his scheme fixes all and I think he felt that he gave up too much control in the last two years. Hes back to being a full time DC coordinator now. I think he figures that is how they will win and he keeps his job. 

I don't watch college ball, but from what I gather Coples was a beast as a DT as a junior and wasn't nearly as good as a senior when he played a lot of DE.  

If so, when Coples didn't do well outside also coincides with what was widely reported pre-draft as laziness throughout his senior season (a trait he may be showing again, as Rex just publicly called him out yesterday).  So it's possible he would have had just as much of a dropoff had he remained inside, and the problem was his attitude and effort rather than where he lined up.

Maybe.

What seems obvious to me is that Rex must know if this doesn't work out and if the team in general doesn't show some promise - and show why it would be better with him than someone else - then he's out of a job.  Rex has seen plenty of good linebackers and if he thought Coples couldn't make the switch he wouldn't waste time trying.  Either that or he has no clue what he's doing on that side of the football, which I don't believe.

The bold - fair point.

The italics - I'd agree but why make the switch only after you do not draft an OLB? Make the switch 2 months ago and then I can understand that there is a plan or strategy here. The fact that the switch was only made after Dion Jordan and Mingo went off the board before 9, makes me think that Rex is desparate for a pass rusher.

People act as if Rex decided to make the change without even thinking about it. I'll trust his judgement on the D (especially DL) more than any other poster here. I sure Rex did his due diligence.

The bold - fair point.

The italics - I'd agree but why make the switch only after you do not draft an OLB? Make the switch 2 months ago and then I can understand that there is a plan or strategy here. The fact that the switch was only made after Dion Jordan and Mingo went off the board before 9, makes me think that Rex is desparate for a pass rusher.

And if you think that, then it lends less credence to the "Rex is running the show" stuff regarding the draft.  Jarvis Jones was a far bigger need-position and, since he only went 4 picks after Richardson, certainly wouldn't have been hailed as a reach pick.  

Idzik - for better or worse - feels that drafting that high, particularly when both sides of the ball are going through such a major overhaul, you take the BPA and don't look at what positions you need.  (Presumably this would go out the window in certain special cases, like if we had Revis & Cro locked up for 3 more years he wouldn't have taken Milliner, or wouldn't take a center or left tackle with us locked into ours for many years to come, or a QB if we actually had a good one already.  The rationale is that you don't pass up the best value in the draft because of a specific need in any 1 season, particularly in a rebuild year when our needs are so many.  Take the guy at a position where substituting a mediocre player has the greatest detrimental effect on the team.  

Thats been the killer for Rex. In 2009 those blitz packages took the league by storm. People pointed to Revis as the guy but it was a combination of Revis and those blitzes that made the defense so good. Statistically Revis has never come close to 2009 again (always great but 2009 was other worldly) and the reason was because the schemes were picked apart in the 2009 offseason. Once the scheme was picked apart the defense didnt have the horses to carry it out. The Jets upset the Pats in the playoffs in part because the Pats didnt take the Jets seriously and because Rex completely changed up his defensive plan with the all DB attack that the Pats refused to acknowledge until it was too late in th egame. It was probably Ryans finest moment as a coach because he outsmarted Belichick and knew he was too stubborn to change. If the Pats started running in the 2nd or 3rd quarter they would have beat us that day but they didnt give in until it was far too late in the game. 

But Rex has such a hard time letting go. I could only watch Eric Smith literally getting stood up at the point of attack on every blitz attempt so many times but Rex would keep it going and going and going. Hes ridiculously loyal to his players. How he kept Scott, Pace, and BT out there is just a slap in the face of everyone. Pace is probably the worst rush linebacker in the NFL and its no surprise none of these players could find a home. I think he just feels his scheme fixes all and I think he felt that he gave up too much control in the last two years. Hes back to being a full time DC coordinator now. I think he figures that is how they will win and he keeps his job. 

Spot on.  I totally agree with every single point.  

That game vs the Patriots is really the only game where I feel like Rex has clearly out-coached his counterpart.

It's sad, but that loyalty obviously blinds him to reality.  He either cannot see or refuses to see that the job isn't getting done with "his guys" and that his schemes have stopped working with regards to rushing the opposing QB.  Ultimately, it will probably lead to his demise as a HC.

You're probably right that Rex feels that reverting back to being in total control of the D is what will save his job, but I think it will again be ultimately what keeps him from becoming a successful HC long term.  It may work in the short term and save his job for another year or two, but he'll get stuck in that mode, and find himself still not know jack about offense, and if he's fired from here, may have a hard time finding another HC job.