George Sauer dead at 69

JoeWillie

RIP, George.  He was a great WR.  If he had played longer, I think it's quite likely the Jets may have won more than one SB.  He walked away from the game when he was still playing at a VERY high level.  He had great hands and a knack for getting open.

Not sure if the Jets could have beat the Colts without him.

When he quit the Jets I thought he was a fool for quitting football so young but with time came to realize he was smart to do so.

According to his sister he died from alzheimers dementia.Wonder if it came from football concussions?

I wonder about that Alzheirmer's football connection.  You don't hear of many people who are only 69 with Alzheimer's.

He was a good receiver but will always be part of history with his outstanding performance in Super Bowl III.  Never forget him for that, ever.

Joe Namath completed 17 passes for 207 yards in Super Bowl III, eight of which went to George Sauer for 133 yards. A true bright spot in the dismal history of the NY Jets.

R.I.P. George.

The NY Times is reporting that former Jet wide receiver George Sauer died this week, he was 69 years old.

George Sauer, who as a wide receiver for the Jets played a pivotal role in the team’s stunning victory in Super Bowl III, and who later quit professional football because he considered it dehumanizing, died on Tuesday in Westerville, Ohio. He was 69.

His sister, Dana Keifer, confirmed the death, saying the cause was congestive heart failure. She said he had been struggling with Alzheimer’s disease for some time.

Sauer played six seasons for the Jets, after leaving the University of Texas he signed with the Jets.  He made the pro bowl in four straight seasons (’66 – ’69).  He put up impressive numbers for the Jets, with almost 5,000 receiving yards in that time.  In 1967 he caught 75 passes for 1,189 yards and 6 touchdowns.  The most impressive stat is what happened in Super Bowl III.  Joe Namath threw for 206 yards in that game, with 133 of those yards going to George Sauer.

Rest in peace George Sauer.

This guy could get open on a crowded train and had the softest hands. He was a great receiver and a very smart guy. Though I was very sad when he retired, it might have been the best thing to do as all the hits might have caused the Alheimers. RIP George!

Archived