Eifert is the one that's gonna hurt.

T0mShane

This is from PFT today. I think Richardson will be a nice player, but I think Eifert is going to be giving us Warren Sapp nightmares all over again. Dude is a monster:

Tyler Eifert already has multiple roles in Bengals’ offense

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/11/tyler-eifert-already-has-multiple-roles-in-bengals-offense/

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT

Tyler Eifert has been with the Bengals for all of one day of practice, but he already plays an important part in Cincinnati’s offense. Actually, multiple important parts.

Eifert, the tight end the Bengals took in the first round of the NFL draft, said after the first day of rookie minicamp that he’s going to be a lot more than just a tight end.

“A lot of the things I’m learning are a lot of the same plays we had in with two tight ends — move me around in different positions,” Eifert said. “Today I was out in the slot quite a bit. I think I’m picking it up pretty fast.”

Eifert was working as a hybrid tight end and slot receiver on Friday and he said the Bengals’ offense came naturally to him.

“I think I picked it up better than I thought I would at first,” Eifert said. “It’s not a whole lot, but it’s definitely something new for me. I’m catching on pretty quickly and moving around quite a bit.”

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis agreed with Eifert’s self assessment.

“[Eifert] is as advertised,” Lewis said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “What I was most impressed with is how he did a great job in the running game and the techniques he’s being taught. I know he can run and catch, and turn get-back shoulder plays and all those kinds of things that you have to do in tight spots in the NFL. I know he can do all that. But the other stuff was impressive today.”

One rookie minicamp practice isn’t much to go on, but all indications are that the Bengals have big plans for what Eifert can do.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have Warren Sapp nightmares when you draft a TE over a DT, not the other way around. I'd've been very happy with Eiffert, but I'm willing to wait until we're stringing up Idzik to complain about the Richardson pick.

You have Warren Sapp nightmares when you draft a TE over a DT, not the other way around. I'd've been very happy with Eiffert, but I'm willing to wait until we're stringing up Idzik to complain about the Richardson pick.

1. We will not be stringing up Idzik

2. This is more a comment on how good I think Eifert will be more than it is a complaint about the pick itself.

I get a good laugh out of a lot of your posts, but this is the funniest thing you've ever written.

Not only will we be eventually stringing up Idzik, but you'll be out in front carrying both a pitchfork and a torch.

I get a good laugh out of a lot of your posts, but this is the funniest thing you've ever written.

Not only will we be eventually stringing up Idzik, but you'll be out in front carrying both a pitchfork and a torch.

Who have I ever strung up unjustly?

What an odd comparison to have made.  

If Richarsdon turns out to be a Kris Jenkins type impact DL-Man, I don't give a sh@t about any T.E even if it's Gronk.

If you've not noticed Jets are in rebuild, and with so many holes it just can't all fixed in one year.

I expect T.E will be addressed next off season.

Now please continue with your anti Rex agenda.

If Richarsdon turns out to be a Kris Jenkins type impact DL-Man, I don't give a sh@t about any T.E even if it's Gronk.

If you've not noticed Jets are in rebuild, and with so many holes it just can't all fixed in one year.

I expect T.E will be addressed next off season.

Now please continue with your anti Rex agenda.

The chances of Richardson becoming a Jenkins (minus the soprano pitched girly voice and constant injuries) level monster... are not very good... if it happens I will shiiit in my hand and eat it. 

This is from PFT today. I think Richardson will be a nice player, but I think Eifert is going to be giving us Warren Sapp nightmares all over again. Dude is a monster:

Its all part of the plan to build the defense to spend money and premium pics next year on offense.

Its all part of the plan to build the defense to spend money and premium pics next year on offense.

For what it's worth, I believe all three of Jermichael Finley, Brandon Pettigrew and Greg Olsen will be UFAs next year, assuming they aren't franchised.  I guess you could also throw Keller back in the mix as he only signed the one year deal. There will be some options should we wanna spend money on that route; I'd have to imagine it's all pending on the progress they think Geno is making.

For what it's worth, I believe all three of Jermichael Finley, Brandon Pettigrew and Greg Olsen will be UFAs next year, assuming they aren't franchised.  I guess you could also throw Keller back in the mix as he only signed the one year deal. There will be some options should we wanna spend money on that route; I'd have to imagine it's all pending on the progress they think Geno is making.

exactly we'll have options. it's not like john elway fell to us and we had a brainfart and took a DT.

if it was me it would have been chance and eifert. dee and sheldon are better athletes but the offense still reeks. 

No offense, but if that's the case, then I'm glad you weren't the one doing the picking.  I think the idea of taking an OG at #9 and a TE at #13 is nuts plain and simple.  That's not how winning teams are built.

Bengals suck. Up playing a rookie, thats never happened before. 

Guy, you haven't been paying attention.  The Bengals definitely don't suck any more.  The Jets should have the talent they do, and Zimmer isn't that far behind Rex as a DC .

The chances of Richardson becoming a Jenkins (minus the soprano pitched girly voice and constant injuries) level monster... are not very good... if it happens I will shiiit in my hand and eat it.

Now I'm really routing for Richardson.

I'd be really surprised if Carolina lets Olsen go. 

Now I'm really routing for Richardson.

That makes two of us.  Not that I have anything against pointman, or I particularly wanna watch someone eat their sheit, but would love to see Richardson beast.

Eifert would have improve the offense (the much weaker part of our team, by far) more than Richardson improves the defense. He's better at his position. And Richardson is not Kris Jenkins, he's just not. If he was that type of player I would have liked the pick much better than I do now. I'm not an NFL GM, by the way, just to be clear.

if it was me it would have been chance and eifert. dee and sheldon are better athletes but the offense still reeks. 

You run a draft site. How can you propose drafting for need like this? You should know better than most that drafting for need is a sure fire way to draft poorly.

No offense, but if that's the case, then I'm glad you weren't the one doing the picking.  I think the idea of taking an OG at #9 and a TE at #13 is nuts plain and simple.  That's not how winning teams are built.

You are correct, sir. Guards and TEs are lower value positions that can be found in free agency at a reasonable cost practically every year. Taking a guard at #9 would've been ridiculous. Defensive Tackle is a premium position in the NFL. Bill Parcells' "planet guys." As in, there are only so many guys on the planet who are that big and that athletic. That's why they go high every year, while a guard or TE in the top half of the first round is a rarity.

Great TEs can be found playing rugby in Australia. Just watch! ;)

2. This is more a comment on how good I think Eifert will be more than it is a complaint about the pick itself.

With the Jets history of drafting TE's in the first round I think that if we would have drafted Eifert Jet fans would have found a reason why this was a franchise ending decision. Not to say that I dont like the guy, I do, but Jet fans can also be over the top at times.

Eifert would have improve the offense (the much weaker part of our team, by far) more than Richardson improves the defense. He's better at his position. And Richardson is not Kris Jenkins, he's just not. If he was that type of player I would have liked the pick much better than I do now. I'm not an NFL GM, by the way, just to be clear.

I'd rather have Richardson, he's getting comparisons to J.J. Watt and an athlete of his caliber is rare. Like others before have said, we can find a solid tight end next year in free agency or the draft.

Archived