2012 Run Block Rankings: 11, 5

2012 Pass Block Rankings: 10, 30

LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG: Willie Colon*

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brian Winters*

RT: Austin Howard

Super Sub: G Stephen Peterman

Overview: Effective line play went to waste last season as Mark Sanchez butt-fumbled away football games andShonn Greene left enormous amounts of yards on the field. Gone are guards Brandon Moore and Matt Slauson, the former of whom remains on the street while the latter is competing for a job in Chicago. Colon-for-Slauson projects as a wash. Decorated wrestler and 50-game college starter Winters offers an impressive resume, but is a rookie. Ferguson and Mangold return as the nuts and bolts of the Jets' line, with improving power run-blocker Howard entering his second full season as a starter. While this front five has question marks, it projects as a plus run-blocking group for new feature back Chris Ivory. That's going to be vital, because the Jets must find ways to hide what inevitably will be one of the NFL's weakest passing attacks.

Full article

Pretty fair assessment, I was surprised to see us ahead of teams like the Rams, Seahawks, Packers and Falcons. Amazing how much Brick and Mangold mean to this team.

Full article

Pretty fair assessment, I was surprised to see us ahead of teams like the Rams, Seahawks, Packers and Falcons. Amazing how much Brick and Mangold mean to this team.

Agreed. Pretty fair seeing as how there will be one rookie on the line, but having stalwarts like DBrick and Mangold certainly will make any offensive line at worst mediocre.  I have a feeling if we get even the same play as last year, with backs like Ivory and Goodson we'll notice how good our oline actually is.  I forget the numbers, but it basically summed up to Green taking only what the line gave him and being almost allergic to getting to the second level. I know a lot people are skeptical about our RBs, but I'm actually a huge Ivory fan and cannot wait to see what our running game is going to look like.  

Dammit, I'm drinkin the koolaide again.

since we are talking OL, my rankings are here: 

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bitontiOLrank2013

NEW YORK JETS

Overall Rank: 15th

• Overall Grade: B-
  • Run Blocking Grade: B
  • Pass Blocking Grade: C+

Final 2012 Rank: 3rd

Grades

• Left Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson: B+
  • Left Guard Brian Winters: C+
  • Center Nick Mangold: A
  • Right Guard Willie Colon: B
  • Right Tackle Austin Howard: B
  • Swing Tackle Vlad Ducasse C+
  • Line Coach Mike Devlin: B
  • Cohesion: B

Notes

The New York Jets lost both starting guards to free agency this offseason. Predicting the depth chart in May is like picking names out of a hat. Brian Winters, a third round pick out of Kent State, is the player Jets fans hope wins a job. Winters spent his career at left tackle but his best position is probably left guard. Winters can pass block and could win a job this summer, depending on how quickly he can learn a new position. There are several vets who will try to keep him on the bench. Local product Willie Colon returns home and is a decent bet for the other guard spot. Colon is prone to injury and penalty but he can run block when he feels like it. Vlad Ducasse played about 40% of the left guard reps last year but he will really have to step up to win a job. Former Detroit Lions guard Stephen Peterman had a bad year and was signed during the draft. Peterman has over 60 starts at right guard. All these veterans are problems in pass protection but all can be solid run blockers. Former Green Bay Packers left guard Caleb Schlauderaff is an interesting depth name at guard and center, and he also could be in the mix to compete for a starting job during preseason. In addition, the Jets drafted Virginia tackle Oday Aboushi in the fifth round, and he could be groomed for swing tackle. It's a real competition for jobs on the Jets this year. Unfortunately, none of these players are as good as Brandon Moore, who is still on the free agent market. Should Moore somehow rejoin the team, the Jets line would grade out at ninth overall in the offensive line rankings due to improved cohesion and Moore's individual grade of B+. But that's not a likely outcome unless Moore reduces his salary demands. However there is some certainty for the New York Jets offensive line. Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold continue to play at a high level. Both are big money players and Mangold especially is the leader of this unit. Right tackle Austin Howard actually did a good job last season stepping in for Wayne Hunter. Howard is the Jets only starting restricted free agent and he received money from the league's performance based bonus system, indicating that he outplayed his contract. If Brian Winters can win a job in camp, this team has the ability to rise up the rankings.

vlad is a D at best!

vlad played 40% of the left guard snaps last year. do you remember any obvious screw ups? 

I know we all hate Vlad cause he isn't John Hannah but D is reserved for BAD starters. Like when Colin Baxter took over for Mangold. 

he's probably not gonna make the team but Vlad and Peterman are equal more or less. Pick your poison. Vlad might actually be better.  

if today's events have taught us anything, relying on an injury prone vet to be the starter (Colon) might not be a great plan.

Archived