Joe McKnight: "I ain't Going, No Damn Way"

flgreen

Joe McKnight: 'I ain’t going, no damn way'

BY Seth Walder

When the Jets brought in Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson with Bilal Powell already on the roster, it put Joe McKnight's roster spot in doubt. The prospect of getting cut doesn’t sit too well with McKnight, however.

“I don’t care who they bring in, they’re going (to have to) kill me to take my spot. You understand that now?” McKnight said in the locker room Thursday. “Just because they bring Goodson and Ivory in they already think I’m gone. They just bringing people in for competition, they ain’t bringing nobody in to say, ‘Joe is done.’”

McKnight unequivocally told the Daily News he’ll make the team.

“Yeah, I’m going to be on the team, I ain’t going, no damn way,” he said.

McKnight continued to insist that the acquisitions of Ivory and Goodson don’t affect his place on the team. “They have to beat me to take my spot first,” he said. “Man, look, they told me it’s a fresh slate.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

If nothing else, Idzik has created a real sense of urgency within the organization.  Between the "fierce" QB battle, McKnight saying no damn way, and Vlad acknowledging this is his last chance, there are many players who are going to be giving everything they have.  Excited to see how this all shakes out.

Yeah they gave up a 4th and 10 million cause there's any chance you beat Ivory or Goodson out of a roster spot. I hope this lights a fire under his ass but he needs to focus on special teams if he's planing on making this roster.

Seattle sat Flynn after giving him a sh-tload of cash.  If McKnights play warrants time, he'll get time.  Last year was a joke for the entire offense..  Sparano never even talked to McKnight.  

Joe McKnight: 'I ain’t going, no damn way'

BY Seth Walder

When the Jets brought in Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson with Bilal Powell already on the roster, it put Joe McKnight's roster spot in doubt. The prospect of getting cut doesn’t sit too well with McKnight, however.

“I don’t care who they bring in, they’re going (to have to) kill me to take my spot. You understand that now?”

"Ready...Aim...FIRE!"

Many people, I'm guessing will take his words the wrong way. How I see it, he simply a competitive athlete who thrives when challenged. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, but he definitely sounds motivated.

You are a master of reading and finding the truth. You saw what no one else saw, no matter how obvious. You saw, and told us, all. Thank you.

Yeah they gave up a 4th and 10 million cause there's any chance you beat Ivory or Goodson out of a roster spot. I hope this lights a fire under his ass but he needs to focus on special teams if he's planing on making this roster.

Yeah cause Ivory and Goodson have proven so much in the NFL.   Mcknight has just as good of a shot as those guys.

This reminds me of one offseason when an old, fat Kenny Anderson was with the Celtics and was in danger of not making next year's team. He tells a reporter, "Oh yeah, I'm running now, getting in shape, etc." That reporter goes to then-coach Rick Pitino and tells him that Kenny Anderson had taken up running, and Rick responds, "So, who is he paying to do the running for him?"

SICK BURN Y'ALL.

Too late, Joe. You can't be a dog for three years, then decide you want to play hard when you're about to get thrown on the scrap heap.

This is the typical off season fluff piece.  Every player has rededicated, gotten in shape, healed up, learned some new technique, gained/lost weight, gone to speed training, yoga or ballet.  They will all be all-pros.  I put no stock in any of them.  That being said, I think that McKnight ran very hard last year.  He was hurt constantly and Sparano didn't know how to use him.  Schottenheimer didn't know how to use him either which probably just means there isn't a good way to use him. 

This is the typical off season fluff piece.  Every player has rededicated, gotten in shape, healed up, learned some new technique, gained/lost weight, gone to speed training, yoga or ballet.  They will all be all-pros.  I put no stock in any of them.  That being said, I think that McKnight ran very hard last year.  He was hurt constantly and Sparano didn't know how to use him.  Schottenheimer didn't know how to use him either which probably just means there isn't a good way to use him. 

Last years fluff piece about McKnight was that he gained 15 lbs from eating Burger King..  this looks a little different.

Last years fluff piece about McKnight was that he gained 15 lbs from eating Burger King..  this looks a little different.

This may be semantics, we'll have to check with Smash, but wouldn't that make it a flab piece?

Pete didn't know how to use him at USC either.  He was one of the highest rated players coming out of HS.  Never approached his talent level.

Maybe he needs a night in the Mods lounge.  They'll figure out a way to use him

This may be semantics, we'll have to check with Smash, but wouldn't that make it a flab piece?

Pete didn't know how to use him at USC either.  He was one of the highest rated players coming out of HS.  Never approached his talent level.

Maybe he needs a night in the Mods lounge.  They'll figure out a way to use him

First you fluff them, then you send them to the mod lounge.  Prep work done. 

McKnight is serviceable, but his rep is going to be his undoing. He came in as a rookie out of shape and with no knowledge of the playbook.  He soon was vomiting on the field, and went straight into the doghouse when he flubbed all of his assignements.  Watch the Hard Knocks and you'll see how frustrated the coaches became when he couldn't figure out what th hell he was doing.  Even Holmes went to the RB coach and told him to make Joe run a lap every time he screwed up.  In the following years he showed all the talent, but no knowledge.  He just couldn't get the fact that he needed to pick up his blocking assignments and know his role.  They made him a kick returner because that required no real study or dedication.  It was strictly a talent based position.  McKnight will go down as another what-could-have-been story in professional sports. 

Archived