Garrard Offered Intern Coaching Job?? (MERGED)

BroadwayJoe12

Decent read, but if it's true that the Jets offered him a coaching job, you'd have to imagine that they really want and expect Geno to win this thing.

http://www.dailyworld.com/usatoday/article/2166309&usatref=sportsmod

David Garrard is strongly considering returning to the New York Jets in training camp this summer - as a quarterback coaching intern, saying emphatically that his degenerative left knee, not the drafting of Geno Smith, forced him Wednesday to tell general manager John Idzik, coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg that he was retiring.

As a veteran quarterback who had a chance to work alongside Smith - and hopes to continue mentoring him this summer - does Garrard believe the former West Virginia passer has the mental toughness and leader's presence to win a two-man duel between the rookie and embattled Mark Sanchez?

"I think Geno's going to be great,'' Garrard told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "He still has a lot to learn in the NFL. He definitely has to work. But he has what it takes. Now he has to go out and prove it.

"The one thing the kid has is he's definitely the guy of the future. He'll get a whole lot more attention from the fans, because they definitely want to see that new guy, especially since Mark has had a rough (52 combined turnovers) couple of years.''

Garrard, 35, said he didn't witness any of the diva traits that anonymous sources have accused Smith of possessing. Critics blasted Smith for firing his agents after he slid into the second round of the draft.

In fact, Garrard said Smith has something extra to fuel him given that painful slide out of the first round to No. 39 overall where the Jets stopped his slide.

"He has that chip on his shoulder,'' Garrard said. "Sometimes you need a little bit of that. Just look at Aaron Rodgers. It really comes down to the way they (Smith and Sanchez) play in the preseason. I really can't say who's going to have the upper hand. The competition is truly open.

"Geno had none of the signs of the negative things the media was talking about him. He didn't try and big-time you. He was very attentive, never shrugged you off. He told me he was excited to work with me. He definitely had the makeup I saw in college - worked his butt off and was a field general out there.''

Many believed Garrard would keep the job warm for Smith, much like Kurt Warner did for Eli Manning. But the retirement changes the Jets' quarterback dynamics, and Garrard isn't counting Sanchez out - saying if he approaches training camp with a make-or-break, let-it-fly attitude, he could still be the guy.

"If he goes out there as the vet and gets back to just playing ball and not thinking too much on the field, he's going to make it tough on (the coaching staff),'' Garrard said. "It's up to those guys (Smith and Sanchez), the way they carry themselves and handle the offense, really putting points on the board and winning ballgames.

"So when they get to the preseason, it's really going to show who should be the guy.''

When asked Thursday about Garrard's announcement, Sanchez said it was "a little bit abrupt. He worked hard and he had a great attitude. He was one of those guys I felt I could bounce some ideas off, having that experience.

"It was tough to see a guy go like that. You just wish him the best, health-wise first. He had a good career, played for a long time in this league and did a heck of a job. It was great to be around him for the short time I had with him and I wish him nothing but the best."

Sanchez added, "Nothing's changed. My mind-set's the same - stay focused, master this offense, work on the fundamentals, be as accurate as possible, take care of the football and lead this team."

Garrard said he doesn't expect the Jets to bring in another contender to join third-year quarterback Greg McElroy and second-year pro Matt Simms, son of former New York Giants star Phil Simms.

"I'm not sure if they want to add any more controversy,'' Garrard said. "They're trying to do their best to stay out of the limelight. I didn't make it any better by retiring. I imagine they're probably going to keep the quarterback number where they're at.''

Garrard said he doesn't require surgery on his left knee, which had arthroscopic surgery when he was cut last summer by the Miami Dolphins. He said he may face knee replacement surgery in the future, but he wants to spend quality time with his three young children and that's why he chose to walk away before things got worse.

Garrard's wife, Mary, gave birth to the couple's third child six weeks ago.

"I'm done, the knee is only going to get worse. My decision had nothing to do with them drafting Geno,'' Garrard said. "I thought this is going to be great after working a few days with Geno. And Mark was great to me, too. We were starting to build a little bond.

"It was strictly my knee and the way that I was performing. When my knee was swollen every fourth day or so, I couldn't do anything. That was the deciding factor. It was hard. But I held back the tears. I'm just happy and excited to move on with my next chapter in life.''

Garrard, 39-37 as a starter in Jacksonville, is done as an NFL quarterback after nine seasons. But he is considering the Jets' offer to work with their four quarterbacks.

"The Jets offered me the chance to come back if I want to take a shot at that coaching thing with an internship in training camp,'' Garrard said. "I told them I'd talk with my wife about it, so I could still work with those guys. "It's definitely something I'm considering.''

Sanchez sent a text message to Garrard on Wednesday, saying how much he appreciated working with him, and former Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb reached out to Garrard and was supportive through Garrard's decision-making process.

"Donovan was really talking to me yesterday to see where my mind was at, saying, 'You've done great. Keep your head up and don't feel bad about anything. You've had a great career,''' Garrard said. "I really appreciate those words from him, because I watched him my whole career.''

"I'm 35. I'm no young pup anymore. My body doesn't recoup as fast as it used to. I'm going forward with my next chapter.''

Which could mean he'll still be a Jet - just on the sideline this summer in Cortland, N.Y.

Contributing: Mike Garafolo.

Jets offered Garrard a chance to coach this summer

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 16, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT

David Garrard could end up in Jets camp this summer after all.

The retiring-because-of-a-bad-knee quarterback told Jim Corbett of USA Today he’s been offered a coaching internship by the team.

“The Jets offered me the chance to come back if I want to take a shot at that coaching thing with an internship in training camp,” Garrard said. “I told them I’d talk with my wife about it, so I could still work with those guys. “It’s definitely something I’m considering.”

Garrard said his understanding was that the Jets didn’t plan to add another quarterback, saying: “I’m not sure if they want to add any more controversy.”

And it was also clear from Garrard’s early impressions of Geno Smith that he thinks the Jets found a future starter in the second round, though he believes there’s a genuine competition for the job this year.

“I think Geno’s going to be great,” Garrard said. “He still has a lot to learn in the NFL. He definitely has to work. But he has what it takes. Now he has to go out and prove it.

“The one thing the kid has is he’s definitely the guy of the future. He’ll get a whole lot more attention from the fans, because they definitely want to see that new guy, especially since Mark has had a rough couple of years.”

And from the tone of those remarks, it sounds like if Garrard coached with the Jets beyond this year, Smith’s the one he’s expecting to be working with most closely.

What?!?!? What has he done that makes him qualified as a coach??

Intern coach that will probably be paid a fraction of what he made as a player, to essentially do the same thing he would have done regardless if Geno wins the starers job.  It's about teaching the kid how to approach being a professional; how to dissect film better, learn tendencies of defenses better etc.  Anytime you can have someone to stay on you and keep you motivated (not saying Geno needs it) it can't particularly hurt. I'm fairly indifferent on it, but it's not like it's a landmark idea.

What?!?!? What has he done that makes him qualified as a coach deleted for racially insensitive text??

What a stupid comment. It's an intern job, imo a classy gesture by the Jets to help him transition from playing to coaching. 

Have to imagine Gerrard displayed above average guidance and leadership skills in his short tenure to get asked to do this. I thought he was aces ... really bummed he can't play.

Have to imagine Gerrard displayed above average guidance and leadership skills in his short tenure to get asked to do this. I thought he was aces ... really bummed he can't play.

Garrard has a great reputation as a player within the league as far as character/makeup/intelligence.

I think its an interesting move, but isn't David Lee supposed to do a lot of the teaching, mentoring, etc?

As far as off the field issues,  Garrard probably has no clue what Smith will be going through with the Jets.  Nobody in jacksonville cares about the Jags, much less the rest of the country, whereas people on the west coast still write stories about the Jets and Sanchez and Rex and Smith.    So it's a good idea, I just don't see how making Smith become an NFL caliber QB doesn't fall on Lee and Marty.

I think its an interesting move, but isn't David Lee supposed to do a lot of the teaching, mentoring, etc?

As far as off the field issues,  Garrard probably has no clue what Smith will be going through with the Jets.  Nobody in jacksonville cares about the Jags, much less the rest of the country, whereas people on the west coast still write stories about the Jets and Sanchez and Rex and Smith.    So it's a good idea, I just don't see how making Smith become an NFL caliber QB doesn't fall on Lee and Marty.

Jesus Christ, do any of you morons here understand what the word "intern" means?

It's so weird to see Ape focus his rage on white people for a change.

Garrard said he doesn't expect the Jets to bring in another contender to join third-year quarterback Greg McElroy and second-year pro Matt Simms, son of former New York Giants star Phil Simms.

"I'm not sure if they want to add any more controversy,'' Garrard said. "They're trying to do their best to stay out of the limelight. I didn't make it any better by retiring. I imagine they're probably going to keep the quarterback number where they're at.''

Looks like you might have to put that Nick Foles pipe dream on the back burner.

Imagine my dismay.

That would be my assumption to.

Interesting thing is, Smith was only here for what, 3 days while Garrard was here.  Never on the field together.

He and Sanchez  spent a month together.  Sanchez is what 25? 

This quote struck me as odd.  How would he know that?

This is really a reach, but is it possible the jets are trying to pull some shenanigans here?  They liked what Garrard was doing.  His knee just wasn't ready yet.  They didn't want to lose him for the season the way the Fish did, so they offer him a intern coaching job, see if his knee heals somewhat. 

If both Sanchez and Smith suck, bingo resign him.  In the interim they get an emergency QB, real cheap. 

Wait a second I have to adjust the aluminum cone hat I have on to keep the aliens away

This quote struck me as odd.  How would he know that?

This is really a reach, but is it possible the jets are trying to pull some shenanigans here?  They liked what Garrard was doing.  His knee just wasn't ready yet.  They didn't want to lose him for the season the way the Fish did, so they offer him a intern coaching job, see if his knee heals somewhat. 

If both Sanchez and Smith suck, bingo resign him.  In the interim they get an emergency QB, real cheap. 

Wait a second I have to adjust the aluminum cone hat I have on to keep the aliens away

I don't really see how any of that makes sense.  If his knee didn't heal in the last year I don't think a couple more months will matter.  Even Garrard knows they wouldn't necessarily have signed him had they known they were getting Geno.

For better or for worse it's Sanchez V Smith.  Not exactly Ali, Frazier but it'll have to do.

I don't really see how any of that makes sense.  If his knee didn't heal in the last year I don't think a couple more months will matter.  Even Garrard knows they wouldn't necessarily have signed him had they known they were getting Geno.

For better or for worse it's Sanchez V Smith.  Not exactly Ali, Frazier but it'll have to do.

As I said when I wrote it," this is really a reach"  Thought the "Wait a second I have to adjust the aluminum cone hat I have on to keep the aliens away" would have tipped the fact that I was mostly kidding.   I'll still defend the position.  Well mostly because I'm bored, and this is a NY Jets message board.  Nothing is suppose to make sense.

It doesn't happen anymore but in a land far ,far away, they used to use player coaches quite a bit.

35-36 YO players frequently don't heal as quickly as 25-26 year old players.   Some times it takes over a year.  That's why they retire.

I'm not so sure they wouldn't have signed Garrard if they knew they were going to sign Smith.  I think Garrard had a fair chance to be opening day starter with, or with out Smith.  I don't think they are in Love with Smith as much as he has said they are.  At least when they drafted him.  They passed him at 9, and 13, and didn't move up to get him when he fell to the 2nd.  Even though there were 2 teams in front of them that need a QB.  Just to much value for a QB needy team to pass at 39.  Maybe they are now since he has been in.

With all that said, I do agree the competition is between Sanchez, and Smith.  Just coming up with bizarre, but possible theories, to try and fit in here, and to raise the post count to make Max rich

What?!?!? What has he done that makes him qualified as a coach??

He sucked as a player.

If Geno's main problems are attitude and overall attitude there is no one better from him to learn from.

As for him sucking as a player, Garrard's worst year as a starter is still better than either of Sanchez's "good" years during the AFC champ game appearances.  And since everyone seemed to be all up in arms about the talent around Sanchez, go look up the talent around Garrard.  Then look up those players stats, because I guarantee you won't know a single name off the top of your head.  (I'll give you a hint...they sucked far worse than the Jets role players).

Archived