Marty Mornhinweg: QB Competition Could Be Over Before Camp

flgreen

Quarterback competition between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg

The new offensive coordinator would like to have a starter selected sooner rather than later to maximize the quarterback's reps with the first-team offense, be it Sanchez or rookie QB Smith.
Comments (4)
By Manish Mehta  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 12:13 PM.

The Jets' ballyhooed quarterback competition may be over before Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith even make it to Cortland, N.Y., for the start of training camp in late July.

While the prevailing thought is that the incumbent and the rookie will square off in a summer-long battle to determine the starter, the Jets braintrust isn't averse to declaring a winner in the coming weeks.

"We don't care what the prevailing thought is," new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told the Daily News about the perception that the quarterback battle will certainly be alive at the start of training camp. "We only care about our competition here."

Mornhinweg is looking for one of his signal callers to separate himself from the pack. "Common sense tells you that you hope it's quick, but this is going to be a full blown competition. Period."

Although there are four quarterbacks on the roster (Sanchez, Smith, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms), Sanchez or Smith will almost certainly win the job.

Mornhinweg wants one of the quarterbacks to distance himself during a critical, but often overlooked stretch of the offseason program that began on Monday. But could someone actually separate himself that much for the Jets brass to declare a winner by mid-June based on 10 OTA practices and three minicamp practices?

"Oh, absolutely," Mornhinweg said. "Sure. Absolutely. That's all part of the process. Absolutely. Everything we do is important. Our meetings are important… the way we go about our meetings, the way we go about our preparation right now with a new system. These are very important things. Every pass we throw out there in OTAs and these practices are important."

Mark Sanchez, following a dreadful fourth season, enters the offeseason fighting for his job as Gang Green’s starting quarterback.

Mark Sanchez, following a dreadful fourth season, enters the offeseason fighting for his job as Gang Green’s starting quarterback.

Sanchez's experience appears to give him an inherent advantage to seize control of the competition early. Smith, who spent much of his college career in shotgun, has spent a fair amount of time thus far sharpening his skills taking the ball under center with quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"David Lee is working overtime on many things," Mornhinweg said. "But certainly his footwork."

Mornhinweg made it clear that he's not overly concerned with timelines created by people outside the organization. He surely wouldn't call off the "full-blown competition" before training camp begins, right?

"I don't know that… " Mornhinweg said. "We'll see. Really. This thing is going to play itself out. It's going to be our competition… I want to give everybody an opportunity to show their skill and ability and their decision-making and their accuracy and their timing within this system."

Mornhinweg is mindful that the longer the competition lasts, the less time the eventual winner will have to work solely with the first-team offense.

"When you do it this way," Mornhinweg said, "you give up some reps individually for the possible starter if you don't select him quite as quickly."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-pick-starting-qb-training-camp-article-1.1350287#ixzz2TwvbOAyV

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all really like Geno but it's concerning that doesn't really know how to take a snap from center. marty morn offense has more shotgun than most but there's gonna be about half the game when the starting QB is gonna have to take traditional snaps.

Yes there's hope that Geno can be the next Russell Wilson but Wilson came from a stronger QB class, and non-gimmick offense . I just think  he might need a year or so to get seasoning. a redshirt year could be the best thing for his career. 

We all really like Geno but it's concerning that doesn't really know how to take a snap from center. marty morn offense has more shotgun than most but there's gonna be about half the game when the starting QB is gonna have to take traditional snaps.

Yes there's hope that Geno can be the next Russell Wilson but Wilson came from a stronger QB class, and non-gimmick offense . I just think  he might need a year or so to get seasoning. a redshirt year could be the best thing for his career. 

Geno not being able to take a snap >>>>>>> Sanchez not being able to stop throwing INTs

In an ideal situation where we would have someone else to start, I'd normally agree with you. But, this isn't an ideal situation. I'd rather the growing pains with Geno to see what he brings to the table. So we know if our 1st rounder next year needs to be a QB.

And you actually believe Sanchez can? Did you watch the waning minutes of that game against the Titans last season, when Sanchez, on a potentially game winning drive late in the game, fumbled the ball on the snap? Did you watch the Thanksgiving game against the Patriots, when he had that infamous ass-fumble?  I don't think Smith would be any worse than Sanchez.

We all really like Geno but it's concerning that doesn't really know how to take a snap from center.

Woody. PSLs. Money. Media. Etc.

LOL

What else would a businessman who has invested $1,000,000,000 + in a business be interested in?   Putting a winning team on the field increases his profit.  The Jets have been more successful overall  under Woody's ownership then at any other time in their sorry history.

No they haven't won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't due to lack of spending money

LOL

What else would a businessman who has invested $1,000,000,000 + in a business be interested in?   Putting a winning team on the field increases his profit.  The Jets have been more successful overall  under Woody's ownership then at any other time in their sorry history.

No they haven't won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't due to lack of spending money

Yeah, I know... I was being facetious, hence the lack of context and the inclusion of "etc."

In an ideal situation where we would have someone else to start, I'd normally agree with you.  

hmm... like David Garrard? 

the other side of this is it's easier to start Mark and bring Geno in as the cavalry than to start geno and bury Mark. The first plan the coaches have an option and Geno gets practice time. the second plan Geno is either Russell Wilson or Jimmy Clausen. They could easily ruin him by throwing him to the wolves.  and the Geno Smith era would be over before it started. 

the other side of this is it's easier to start Mark and bring Geno in as the cavalry than to start geno and bury Mark. The first plan the coaches have an option and Geno gets practice time. the second plan Geno is either Russell Wilson or Jimmy Clausen. They could easily ruin him by throwing him to the wolves.  and the Geno Smith era would be over before it started. 

Yep. The only possible outcome for Geno is that he's Russell Wilson or Jimmy Clausen. LOL

IF Geno gets "ruined" by getting playing time, I have news for you... he was never going to be great. Is it less than ideal to start him immediately? Sure, that seems to be the consensus rant this pre-season... while when we drafted  Mark it sounded more like, "Gotta start him... Peyton Manning... rookie year... something something something... "

Ultimately, there's no one way to handle it that is 100% right or wrong. It'll come down to the kid.

I'm not worried about Geno being the cavalry, that's more of a PR concern than a football concern.

The best player should play, regardless of all the "coach-isms" being tossed about by the fans.

Yep. The only possible outcome for Geno is that he's Russell Wilson or Jimmy Clausen. LOL

IF Geno gets "ruined" by getting playing time, I have news for you... he was never going to be great. Is it less than ideal to start him immediately? Sure, that seems to be the consensus rant this pre-season... while when we drafted  Mark it sounded more like, "Gotta start him... Peyton Manning... rookie year... something something something... "

Ultimately, there's no one way to handle it that is 100% right or wrong. It'll come down to the kid.

I'm not worried about Geno being the cavalry, that's more of a PR concern than a football concern.

The best player should play, regardless of all the "coach-isms" being tossed about by the fans.

The ruining meme sounds suspiciously like the latest attempt to rationalize Sanchez being terrible.

He's a second round pick. If he wants an era, he's going to have to earn it. I could see red-shirting a top five pick, because QBs who go that high are expected to be franchise QBs. So you can take your time with them. Geno has to prove his worth as a second rounder, so the Jets know if they need to make another heavy investment at QB next year.

Best case scenario for me was Garrard starting half the year or so. I don't think the fans can stomach Sanchez as the starter - even temporarily. I'd be leaning towards throwing Geno into the deep end and letting him sink or swim. It may not be fair to him -in fact, it's not- but the Jets need to do what's best for the franchise. What's best is finding a franchise QB ASAP.

Traditional snaps talk is way over blown IMHO.  If you're at this level and cant figure out how to the simplest most fundamental part of the position, the center to QB exchange, then you might as well throw in the towel now.  I just have a hard time imagining a player of Geno's caliber, playing the position since High School, cant figure out how to take a snap from center with an entire offseason to practice with professional coaches breaking down your every step. 

Traditional snaps talk is way over blown IMHO.  If you're at this level and cant figure out how to the simplest most fundamental part of the position, the center to QB exchange, then you might as well throw in the towel now.  I just have a hard time imagining a player of Geno's caliber, playing the position since High School, cant figure out how to take a snap from center with an entire offseason to practice with professional coaches breaking down your every step. 

Jimmy Claussen, obv.

Geno took 96% of his college snaps in the shotgun.  It's been a while.  even if he had gone to the Senior Bowl (like Russell Wilson), that would be something.  

and it's not just the snap. This air raid offense is wildly different than a pro offense. 

I agree.  If it comes to that, I'd rather see Sanchez struggle for another season, rather than see Smith get rushed into starting before he's got his fundamentals worked out, the offense learned and is truly ready and confident.

He's a second round pick. If he wants an era, he's going to have to earn it. I could see red-shirting a top five pick, because QBs who go that high are expected to be franchise QBs. So you can take your time with them. Geno has to prove his worth as a second rounder, so the Jets know if they need to make another heavy investment at QB next year.

Best case scenario for me was Garrard starting half the year or so. I don't think the fans can stomach Sanchez as the starter - even temporarily. I'd be leaning towards throwing Geno into the deep end and letting him sink or swim. It may not be fair to him -in fact, it's not- but the Jets need to do what's best for the franchise. What's best is finding a franchise QB ASAP.

We've discussed this before, but again I say that rushing Smith may actually delay their finding their franchise QB rather than accelerating that process.  With some pressure free time to focus on the areas where he needs to improve, Smith could very well develop into that franchise QB.  Rush him out before he's ready, have him struggle with the offense, with his fundamentals, and have that start creating more interceptions and fumbles, and messing with his confidence, and he could be toast before he ever gets started.  Then the Jets would have to hope that they can find a QB in next year's draft and it could take him a year or two to play well, even if he is a quality prospect, whereas, if Smith sits half the season this year, he could be ready to go full tilt next year.

I think it is more about the footwork and timing of dropping back and making passes from under center vs shotgun.  I don't think that they are worried that he cant take a snap from a center although after last season, I am more skeptical than I was before last season.

Smith doesn't have to be "great."  It would be awesome if he is, but he could be very good or above average and the Jets could still win a SB.

I don't know of anyone who said that Sanchez "had to start" his rookie year.  Anyone comparing Sanchez with Peyton Manning was clueless.  Manning was one of the best QB prospects to ever come out of college, and with his pedigree as sure a thing as it gets.  Sanchez had one year of starting experience.  Sanchez probably would never have been great, either, but possibly could have become a solid stater that didn't beat himself and the team.  To be sure, it wasn't just rushing him to start that really killed any chances that Sanchez could succeed.  Most likely, playing for a rookie HC who is clueless about offense and who was stupid enough to predict a SB victory in his first season, and playing for two of the worst OCs and worst QB coaches in NFL history had more to do with it. 

Smith doesn't have to be "great."  It would be awesome if he is, but he could be very good or above average and the Jets could still win a SB.

I don't know of anyone who said that Sanchez "had to start" his rookie year.  Anyone comparing Sanchez with Peyton Manning was clueless.  Manning was one of the best QB prospects to ever come out of college, and with his pedigree as sure a thing as it gets.  Sanchez had one year of starting experience.  Sanchez probably would never have been great, either, but possibly could have become a solid stater that didn't beat himself and the team.  To be sure, it wasn't just rushing him to start that really killed any chances that Sanchez could succeed.  Most likely, playing for a rookie HC who is clueless about offense and who was stupid enough to predict a SB victory in his first season, and playing for two of the worst OCs and worst QB coaches in NFL history had more to do with it. 

Only Eli Manning comparisons are acceptable. Or at least they were last year! 

Geno took 96% of his college snaps in the shotgun.  It's been a while.  even if he had gone to the Senior Bowl (like Russell Wilson), that would be something.  

and it's not just the snap. This air raid offense is wildly different than a pro offense. 

Clearly but your post was emphasizing the snap exchange.  Tons of QB's have to adjust offenses...

I hated the Sanchez pick when they made it, and I'm not crazy about the Smith pick.

The difference is that Sanchez was taken very early, and Smith was taken in the 2nd round.  In spite of his being a 4 year player, Smith is as green as they come. If they turn the team over to him, as weak as it is on offense, and as weird as the O was he ran in college, he will get shredded.  The Jets will be looking for another QB, in another weak QB class again next year. 

When you think of Smith, think of Hill last year.  He has talent, but it is going to take some time to develop it.  if they put him out there this year, the same posters will be screaming for his head next year

People said it, maybe not here, but on the boards I was posting on at the time. 

Clearly but your post was emphasizing the snap exchange.  Tons of QB's have to adjust offenses...

I don't think he's aware of the chasm between what he says, and what he means.

It's like Smash... with less mouth-breathing.

Define what exactly a "gimmick" offense is. Here's how I see it. There are two types of offenses:

1. Ones that produce and score points.

2. Ones that don't.

Define what exactly a "gimmick" offense is. Here's how I see it. There are two types of offenses:

1. Ones that produce and score points.

2. Ones that don't.

Gimmick offense can be defined as an offense that isn't used in the NFL  

Partial list of QBs drafted from the air raid in the NFL

QB Tim Couch 
QB Josh Heupel
QB Kliff Kingsbury
QB B.J. Symons 
QB Graham Harrell
QB Nick Foles
QB Robert Griffin III 

QB Brandon Weeden

QB Landry Jones

and now, Geno Smith. (Johnny Manziel is also in this offense)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

note i am not saying that Geno is gonna stink because of Kliff Kingsbury. (or be great because of RG3)

But it's possible that starting him week 1 from an Air raid offense to a West coast offense might be too ambitious a career path.

For a team that was suppose to be under control with talking they don't shut up !! I don't want to hear from Marty at all!

Marty really didn't say much.

All he said was that despite what is written in the media, he can make the decision based on what he sees before training camp in July.  He's keeping his options completely open as to when the decision will be made.

I don't think he's aware of the chasm between what he says, and what he means.

It's like Smash... with less mouth-breathing.

chasm ? You monkey fool. You added mouth breathing to your arsenal :) to go along with your bear hands .

Archived