Marty Mornhinweg: QB Competition Could Be Over Before Camp

flgreen

I never said anything about Geno Smith's ability to play QB. What we are supposedly talking about is who will start day 1. Guys like Cam Newton start day 1. Guys like Tom Brady sit a year.

All of this "just because" talk it seems to me like you guys want to hand the job to Geno "just because" he isn't Mark. 

Master of the known. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn.. your good.

I'm bringing sexy back.

RG  III is built like a greyhound

Andy Dalton has red hair, Ryan Tannenhill is blonde, Russell Wilson has black hair, Brandon Weeden is like dirty blonde - all started day 1.

BOOM BABY!!!!

In what world is timing and footwork anything but two of Sanchez's worst attributes?  Hell, it's very possible that in those two categories, McElroy could be the best of the bunch.  And no, that's not even meant to be a compliment to McElroy.

It's certainly very possible that Sanchez ends up as the week 1 starter, but if so, it would be that they don't want to throw Geno into the fire yet and can't bring themselves to start some random nobody, either currently on the team or off of the scrap heap, over their draft pick.  So instead, they will just cross their fingers that Sanchez pulls his head out of Moore's ass just enough to avoid riots at MetLife.

Sanchez had great footwork out of college.. Geno is not even used to being under center from what i read... If they want an earlier winner, it's Sanchez.. as bad as he is, still better in thsi offense then geno

Damn.. your DUMB.

I'm bringing DUMB back.

Andy Dalton has red hair, Ryan Tannenhill is blonde, Russell Wilson has black hair, Brandon Weeden is like dirty blonde - all started day 1.

DUMB BABY!!!!

why have we allowed Jif to turn this thread into a discussion of the male body.. freaken homo ruins everything

fixed 

Sanchez had great footwork out of college.. Geno is not even used to being under center from what i read... If they want an earlier winner, it's Sanchez.. as bad as he is, still better in thsi offense then geno

TROLL

No arguing Sanchez was better when he came out of college than he is now. 

No arguing Sanchez was better when he came out of college than he is now. 

I strongly suspect Geno will be worse.. we'll see.. Hope I'm wrong, but WCO is all about timing based on droppign back from center.. Can't see a shotgun guy even getting adequate at that in a few months time.

You are acting like Geno Smith was a high pick. He was a Kevin Kolb, Kellen Clemens type of pick. You compare him to RG3 and Luck and that's not really a good comparison. We hope he's Russell Wilson. But let's not pretend he's a FQB just cause we want him to be.

I strongly suspect Geno will be worse.. we'll see.. Hope I'm wrong, but WCO is all about timing based on droppign back from center.. Can't see a shotgun guy even getting adequate at that in a few months time.

But again that brings up the question, could his timing possibly be worse than Sanchez's?  We're talking about a guy who can't handle a simple dump-off to a RB and is constantly throwing behind his WRs on quick slant routes.  We're talking about the two easiest throws in the NFL and the ones that the WCO is most heavily reliant on and Sanchez has repeatedly done a worse job at them than any QB I've ever seen.  Even if it shouldn't be Geno, what evidence is there to suggest that Sanchez isn't the worst possible candidate to run a WCO?  While he's obviously bad at everything, he's the absolute worst at it's most important aspects.  Even if we assume Geno won't be ready for this, I'm not joking when I say that I'd actually expect better production out of McElroy-run WCO than Sanchez.  That said, I would never expect it to happen if for no other reason than ego and publicity.

So?

if it wasn't a good idea before David Garrard retired it might not be a good idea now. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. Neither Jets QB is likely to lead this team to immediate success. But i guess it gives us something to talk about... 

But again that brings up the question, could his timing possibly be worse than Sanchez's?  We're talking about a guy who can't handle a simple dump-off to a RB and is constantly throwing behind his WRs on quick slant routes.  We're talking about the two easiest throws in the NFL and the ones that the WCO is most heavily reliant on and Sanchez has repeatedly done a worse job at them than any QB I've ever seen.  Even if it shouldn't be Geno, what evidence is there to suggest that Sanchez isn't the worst possible candidate to run a WCO?  While he's obviously bad at everything, he's the absolute worst at it's most important aspects.  Even if we assume Geno won't be ready for this, I'm not joking when I say that I'd actually expect better production out of McElroy-run WCO than Sanchez.  That said, I would never expect it to happen if for no other reason than ego and publicity.

My personal favorite is him rifling the ball into a receiver three yards off the line of scrimmage to show off his guns. 

I enjoy his numerous pump fakes before he actually makes a throw as well. Gives the defense a nice heads up as to when he is about to chuck it.

if it wasn't a good idea before David Garrard retired it might not be a good idea now. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. Neither Jets QB is likely to lead this team to immediate success. But i guess it gives us something to talk about... 

One QB makes the season completely worthless.  One you at least evaluate for the future.

My personal favorite is him rifling the ball into a receiver three yards off the line of scrimmage to show off his guns. 

I enjoy his numerous pump fakes before he actually makes a throw as well. Gives the defense a nice heads up as to when he is about to chuck it.

LOL, this and this.

The pump fakes are the best, he'll pump fake like 3-5 times (something I insist Schotty instilled after reading about how enamored Schoty and Mangini were with Favre's pump fakes in 2008) and then send it right into the hands of a defender. ******* dumbass

I have lost my ability to be objective when it comes to Sanchez. Worse than Sanchez is like saying Fatter than Crusher. Personally as sad as this sounds I would almost rather watch Geno try and fail than watch Sanchez fail and pout.

People said it, maybe not here, but on the boards I was posting on at the time. 

For the record, I wasn't doubting you.  I've heard all kinds of crazy things on Jets boards over the last 15 years or so, and have probably posted some of them myself.  LOL.  I just never heard that.

That's exactly why I think Smith HAS to sit until he's not only adequate at that, but proficient and comfortable for the most part.  He won't have to be 

perfect, and I would expect some growing pains with it, but should have time to make that adjustment without the pressure of games being on the line.  We all know that players can't "think too much" while on the field.  They have to relax and let their talent, muscle memory, and instincts take over.

That's exactly why I think Smith HAS to sit until he's not only adequate at that, but proficient and comfortable for the most part.  He won't have to be 

perfect, and I would expect some growing pains with it, but should have time to make that adjustment without the pressure of games being on the line.  We all know that players can't "think too much" while on the field.  They have to relax and let their talent, muscle memory, and instincts take over.

everyone is ragging on his timing. He made i think close every pass to 1-2 (incompletions) at his pro day. I assume a lot of those throws were timing nfl throws. Just because he didnt attempt those throws in college doesnt mean he cant.

I tend to agree with you, and I think that is a good thing for the Smith and possibly even the Jets. 

Yes but terrible for Sanchez, man i feel bad for that guy...he draws the short straw every time, heres why

Has anyone mentioned the SCHEDULE. Similar to last year our first half of the season is way more difficult than our second half schedule.

Knowing poor sanchez's luck he'll probably win the starting job and by mid-season after facing the Pats twice, falcons, steelers, saints, bengals (who are actually lookin better than the steelers),we'll all be screamin for Geno to save us. At which point the schedule softens up with games vs the Raiders, panthers, browns, Miami (who i dont think is as good as they are hyped to be these days). 

So all i say is, look at the schedule. All you Sanchez haters should want him to start because with our lack of talent in our roster we are sledding uphill for the first half of the season.

:bash:   

Yes but terrible for Sanchez, man i feel bad for that guy...he draws the short straw every time, heres why

Has anyone mentioned the SCHEDULE. Similar to last year our first half of the season is way more difficult than our second half schedule.

Knowing poor sanchez's luck he'll probably win the starting job and by mid-season after facing the Pats twice, falcons, steelers, saints, bengals (who are actually lookin better than the steelers),we'll all be screamin for Geno to save us. At which point the schedule softens up with games vs the Raiders, panthers, browns, Miami (who i dont think is as good as they are hyped to be these days). 

So all i say is, look at the schedule. All you Sanchez haters should want him to start because with our lack of talent in our roster we are sledding uphill for the first half of the season.

There are no easy games. We're talking about the Jets.

Guy is un-watchable at this point. Yet without Garrard or some other early schedule fodder, we will probably see Sanchez out there. Hopefully mid season as the schedule softens Geno will get his chance and we will know what we need to draft for next year. But it's gonna be so painful and almost un-watchable to see Sanchez. At least for me. I could delude myself into thinking any other QB could surprise with some lucky wins. Mark has left me no reason to think he can do anything but "suck and sulk".

I have lost my ability to be objective when it comes to Sanchez. Worse than Sanchez is like saying Fatter than Crusher. Personally as sad as this sounds I would almost rather watch Geno try and fail than watch Sanchez fail and pout.

Take out the word almost, and I agree with you completely.

Yeah, sucks for Sanchez, but this is the scenario I'd most like to see play out. Let Geno sit a little bit, and then trot him out there at the optimal time: When the team has already faltered, the schedule loosens up, and Geno can get some experience in games that count - but not that much, because they will be long gone from playoff contention. The only pressure on Geno would be the pressure he puts on himself.

I think Marty loves geno ! I heard jaws talking about those to just in awe of him at his pro day ! My problem last time Marty had a say in picking a QB it was Joey Harrington!

Joey Harrington had no weapons, lol... jeezuzzz i can't even say this with a straight face.

Lol I have no pity or Sanchez. Hess a 5th year player who has started in his previous 4 seasons. If the strength of the early schedule is too much that he just continues to prove he's as garbage as everyone says he is.

Exactly. He has had more than his fair share of opportunities. Any other org would have benched that turd a long time ago. Its time to move on. 

Archived