Namath Thinks Jets Wasted a Draft Pick on Geno Smith

flgreen

Joe Namath says NY Jets wasted a draft pick on quarterback Geno Smith

To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez and would've been better off filling other positions.
Comments (1)
By Ebenezer Samuel  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 8:43 PM.

Jets' Sanchez brings a little Namath back to NY.
Myers: Namath's talk right on the Mark.

Namath: Mark it down!.

Quarterback competition between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg .

Joe Namath calls Gang Green’s prized rookie QB Geno Smith a “sensational athlete” with “good size.” And Namath also thinks drafting Smith was unnecessary. “No, I don’t think they needed a quarterback,” Namath said at the United Way’s 20th annual Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Tuesday. “They needed the other positions filled. Possibly offensive line. They got some defensive line. The safeties are still questionable. The outside linebackers are still questionable.”

To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has struggled in the last two seasons. But Namath attributed that to “distractions.”

“I am pulling for him,” Namath said of Sanchez. “I know that he can do better than he’s done. And we saw him lead a team to two AFC championship games, right? I also know what it’s like not to necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to accomplish.”

Mark Sanchez (r.) has a major ally in Joe Namath.

Al Pereira/Getty Images

Mark Sanchez (r.) has a major ally in Joe Namath.

Namath said just a handful of Jets got a “passing grade” last season, naming linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry as players who did play up to expectations. The others, he seemed to say, didn’t help Sanchez last year. But Namath expects Sanchez to help himself, whether he does so as a Jet, or in another NFL uniform.

“I know it’s a team game and I know Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath added. “I promise you you’ll see a different guy (this year). I believe you’ll see a different guy.

“Mark’s not a puppy anymore,” he added. “He’s gone through some things, growing process. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. As long as he wants to, he’s going to be in the NFL.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/namath-jets-wasted-draft-pick-smith-article-1.1351031#ixzz2Tzb6vdcj

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if he sucked that much because of distractions hes not a quality qb

gfy namath

lol. Namath is so drunk that he thinks Sanchez is "Quality". I guess the answers aren't at the bottom of a whiskey bottle.

I love Namath but he needs to shut up now...

The disdain for Namath brings sad to me. Joe loves the Jets that is all he is guilty of. Obviously he is coming from the view point that Geno will not be ready to start this year. He may have noticed between naps that we lost the veteran place holder. Truth is like it or not, and I don't, Mark will probably start this year. Obviously not because he's a 'quality" anything but because we realistically only have a very raw rookie who is currently learning how to take snaps under center.

So... What does the Jet loving Namath do? If he comes out and bashes Sanchez, he is pretty much bashing the Jets. He did a good bit of that last year for sure. Well deserved by the organization if you ask me. Unlike people on this message board Joe's opinion is read and taken in. He probably feels it's best for Sanchez to have someone in his corner. Con sidering even thru his cataracts he has seen all the Sanchez bashing in the media along with the Butt fumble video over and over and over again.

In my opinion Joe is trying to give Mark some support because it's a new season and he most likely be leading the team Joe loves. If Joe is guilty of anything at this time it's being a green glasses (reading glasses) wearing homer drinking the green Kool Aid mixed with some Makers Mark. I have tried this, it's good.

The guy loves the Jets and probably wants to see them win another Superbowl before he dies as much as anyone. Considering he's probably closer than most of us Im sure his judgement is not the best.

Please try not to be to hard on the old fella. He is still the best Jet we have ever had. Thankyou for your time and I love every single one of you(JiF the most).

What a negative nancy!

Getting wasted every day isn't necessary either. He still does it. Seriously, it's time to stfu. He called out Mark a couple years ago as well and now he's switching sides?

I love Namath but he needs to shut up now...

Yes ... exactly ... damn him ... he's the one that sucked me into this in the first place .... but now he needs to shut up. 

And I hear what you're saying Crush ... but has anyone else that knows this game even a little come out and said Geno is 100% bad news and won't help the Jets even as a 2-3 year stop gap?

The disdain for Namath brings sad to me. Joe loves the Jets that is all he is guilty of. Obviously he is coming from the view point that Geno will not be ready to start this year. He may have noticed between naps that we lost the veteran place holder. Truth is like it or not, and I don't, Mark will probably start this year. Obviously not because he's a 'quality" anything but because we realistically only have a very raw rookie who is currently learning how to take snaps under center.

So... What does the Jet loving Namath do? If he comes out and bashes Sanchez, he is pretty much bashing the Jets. He did a good bit of that last year for sure. Well deserved by the organization if you ask me. Unlike people on this message board Joe's opinion is read and taken in. He probably feels it's best for Sanchez to have someone in his corner. Con sidering even thru his cataracts he has seen all the Sanchez bashing in the media along with the Butt fumble video over and over and over again.

In my opinion Joe is trying to give Mark some support because it's a new season and he most likely be leading the team Joe loves. If Joe is guilty of anything at this time it's being a green glasses (reading glasses) wearing homer drinking the green Kool Aid mixed with some Makers Mark. I have tried this, it's good.

The guy loves the Jets and probably wants to see them win another Superbowl before he dies as much as anyone. Considering he's probably closer than most of us Im sure his judgement is not the best.

Please try not to be to hard on the old fella. He is still the best Jet we have ever had. Thankyou for your time and I love every single one of you(JiF the most).

Sometimes, sometimes... silence is the greatest thing on earth. And Mr. Namath, this (and every other day) would be one of those times. By criticizing, and inserting his usually less than stellar viewpoint on our beloved Jets, doesn't do anything but make outsiders say "see, even Namath thinks the Jets are a circus". 

First, as far as I know, Joe's been sober since shortly after the kissing Suzy Kobler incident.

Second, Geno might be a wasted pick. Not because the Jets don't need a QB -because they do- but because Geno may not be that guy. He slipped for a reason. If the Jets got the steal of the draft there, it's a great pick. If Geno isn't a capable starter, it's a terrible one. Not a lot of middle ground. Second rounders should be starting caliber players within their first two years in the league.

I know everybody keeps just saying it and all but the truth of the matter is this; Joe Namath is SOBER. I know it's funny and all to keep saying "STFU you drunk" and all but people who go through what Joe went through take it very seriously-life and death seriously and even though I pretty much disagree with EVERYTHING (including this one on Geno's drafting) that he's been saying about the Jets now for the last 5 years at least, I WILL defend him on his sobriety. So, to all of you guys who keep saying that he's a drunk and should just shut the f*ck up, you have no idea of what you are talking about and all of you should just STFU when it comes to Namath's sobriety

Sometimes, sometimes... silence is the greatest thing on earth. And Mr. Namath, this (and every other day) would be one of those times. By criticizing, and inserting his usually less than stellar viewpoint on our beloved Jets, doesn't do anything but make outsiders say "see, even Namath thinks the Jets are a circus".

First off nothing Joe could say will make anyone think worse or better about the Jets. We are going to be a goofball circus till we win again. "Winning cures all ills."

First, as far as I know, Joe's been sober since shortly after the kissing Suzy Kobler incident.

Second, Geno might be a wasted pick. Not because the Jets don't need a QB -because they do- but because Geno may not be that guy. He slipped for a reason. If the Jets got the steal of the draft there, it's a great pick. If Geno isn't a capable starter, it's a terrible one. Not a lot of middle ground. Second rounders should be starting caliber players within their first two years in the league.

That was my point. Joe realizes that and realizes to all our dismay Sanchez will probably be the starter. This is his way of getting behind the team. Too bad Joe is sober though. I was hoping to tie one on with him before he passed. I guess we can just enjoy some grub together.

I know everybody keeps just saying it and all but the truth of the matter is this; Joe Namath is SOBER. I know it's funny and all to keep saying "STFU you drunk" and all but people who go through what Joe went through take it very seriously-life and death seriously and even though I pretty much disagree with EVERYTHING (including this one on Geno's drafting) that he's been saying about the Jets now for the last 5 years at least, I WILL defend him on his sobriety. So, to all of you guys who keep saying that he's a drunk and should just shut the f*ck up, you have no idea of what you are talking about and all of you should just STFU when it comes to Namath's sobriety

Good post. Personally I respect his sobriety but I also adore the drunken womanizing Joe. That's why I named Baby Crusher after him. LOL

Joe Willie- leave our icon alone with the bashing-if not for him we would not have anything to hang our dreams on.

Joe trying to put the bests pin on a terrible QB situation

Exactly. In a race with only three legged dogs you have to pick a three legged dog.

Well if you're going to bust on a 2nd rounder, I'd strongly prefer busting on a QB when you desperately NEED a QB.  A couple months ago we thought we were set with Garrard-Sanchez-Tebow and waiting until 2014 to snag one in the draft.  Now 2 of those are gone.  I'd say drafting Geno is looking smarter by the day.

Namath is usually pretty spot-on when it comes to his critiques of the Jets, but I think he's dead wrong on this one.  Sanchez is a nobody and you just can't argue that drafting Geno where we did wasn't a good move.  Nothing but upside, and if we missed, at least it was on the 39th pick of the draft rather than a top 10 pick. 

It is easy to say that second rounders should be starters, but in every draft teams grab players that fall our of favor and drop into the second round and some hit and some miss.  With the Jets QB situation the most obvious weakness on the club, taking a high upside QB in the second round was a no brainer.  Whether he makes it big or busts, it was an excellent pick taking into account the talent of the player and the needs of the club.

Well if you're going to bust on a 2nd rounder, I'd strongly prefer busting on a QB when you desperately NEED a QB.  A couple months ago we thought we were set with Garrard-Sanchez-Tebow and waiting until 2014 to snag one in the draft.  Now 2 of those are gone.  I'd say drafting Geno is looking smarter by the day.

Namath is usually pretty spot-on when it comes to his critiques of the Jets, but I think he's dead wrong on this one.  Sanchez is a nobody and you just can't argue that drafting Geno where we did wasn't a good move.  Nothing but upside, and if we missed, at least it was on the 39th pick of the draft rather than a top 10 pick. 

If Geno Smith can't beat out Sanchez, and a Gavin Escobar goes to the pro bowl, it was a crappy pick. Geno isn't pure upside, he's pure hit or miss. All of the knocks on him are the same knocks on Sanchez. Really, I don't understand the pick. The Jets needed a new pouting QB who fumbles a lot?

I hope I'm wrong about the guy, but I want to see him play sooner rather than later so that the Jets can dip back into the QB market next year if/when he proves not to be the immediate answer.

It is easy to say that second rounders should be starters, but in every draft teams grab players that fall our of favor and drop into the second round and some hit and some miss.  With the Jets QB situation the most obvious weakness on the club, taking a high upside QB in the second round was a no brainer.  Whether he makes it big or busts, it was an excellent pick taking into account the talent of the player and the needs of the club.

Bingo.

QB may be the only position where it's OK to draft for need and reach if need be if you think he's your guy.  That's why I can't knock the Bills too much for trading back and taking EJ Manuel.  They realized Fitzpatrick wasn't their guy, cut him before the draft, then took the QB they wanted.  Until it fails miserably you can't really knock it.

More paragraphs on how much Sanchez sucks..  I admire your stamina..  even if your content is dog crap.

If Geno Smith can't beat out Sanchez, and a Gavin Escobar goes to the pro bowl, it was a crappy pick. Geno isn't pure upside, he's pure hit or miss. All of the knocks on him are the same knocks on Sanchez. Really, I don't understand the pick. The Jets needed a new pouting QB who fumbles a lot?

I hope I'm wrong about the guy, but I want to see him play sooner rather than later so that the Jets can dip back into the QB market next year if/when he proves not to be the immediate answer.

Yes but the knocks on Sanchez didn't happen until AFTER he was in the league a while.  All these knocks on Geno are questionable.  None of the West Virginia fans I talk to or his former coaches talk about a pouting, fumbling Geno.  The WVU fans are skeptical that he'll turn into a good pro but he's not another Sanchez.

I think your 2nd point is what makes it a good pick.  We aren't tied to the guy.  We can draft a QB in the 1st round next season and no one will bat an eye.  Drafting Geno makes the 2013 season exciting, and in the end, the NFL is about entertainment.  I don't see much of a downside to any of that.

Moreover, it'll also give us a decent idea of whether or not the new offensive system and personnel around the QB are any good.  We KNOW Sanchez isn't making anybody look good. 

The Jets had/have needs all over the roster. If Geno was the top player on their board, then good for them. If they passed over payers they had rated higher to fill a need, I don't like the pick at all.

Hey, I hope they saw something in him that all the other QB needy teams in the league didn't, but I'm just not excited about him. The best thing about the pick for me is that it's taken all of the focus off of Dee Milliner, who, without the Geno pick, would probably be facing daily scrutiny here and in the media.

The Jets had/have needs all over the roster. If Geno was the top player on their board, then good for them. If they passed over payers they had rated higher to fill a need, I don't like the pick at all.

Hey, I hope they saw something in him that all the other QB needy teams in the league didn't, but I'm just not excited about him. The best thing about the pick for me is that it's taken all of the focus off of Dee Milliner, who, without the Geno pick, would probably be facing daily scrutiny here and in the media.

All day leading up to the 2nd round there were reports that the Jets were willing to move UP to acquire Geno.  Unless those were patently false I imagine he was their top guy.  He was the top-rated QB in the draft that most experts had going somewhere in the top 20.  We got him at 39.  He filled a need AND seemed to be the Jets' BPA. 

Who would you have had as your top guy there?

Go troll and mow somewhere else.

Who's trolling?  I was genuinely annoyed to see 80 start the pile on.  Just like you were annoyed to see Joes name being besmirched.

I accept your apology.

Who's trolling?  I was genuinely annoyed to see 80 start the pile on.  Just like you were annoyed to see Joes name being besmirched.

I accept your apology.

Damn dude. Im sorry. I forget how intensely you pop wood for below average QB's. My bad. Please forgive me.

Yes but the knocks on Sanchez didn't happen until AFTER he was in the league a while.  All these knocks on Geno are questionable.  None of the West Virginia fans I talk to or his former coaches talk about a pouting, fumbling Geno.  The WVU fans are skeptical that he'll turn into a good pro but he's not another Sanchez.

That just makes the knocks on Geno worse, being that he comes into the league with those knocks against him. His demeanor was major issue before he whined at the draft, announcing that he wouldn't show up the second day. There was a lot of talk about how he'd sulk when the team fell behind, he'd be off by himself, etc. He had 32 fumbles in college, and his small hands don't bode well in his transition to the pros in that regard.

I think your 2nd point is what makes it a good pick.  We aren't tied to the guy.  We can draft a QB in the 1st round next season and no one will bat an eye.  Drafting Geno makes the 2013 season exciting, and in the end, the NFL is about entertainment.  I don't see much of a downside to any of that.

This remains to be seen. I hope the Jets are willing to invest heavily in the QB position next year if Geno doesn't immediately pan out, but I don't know that they will. Maybe if they fire Rex, that'll be easier to do.

psh thats to well thought out of a post.

i like the jets and i continually bash him so id have no problem with him bashing em. But to say something so blatantly false (sanchez is a good qb) is just sh*t. Now if he said mcelroy or geno are gonna be the next coming of peyton then we have something here.

Archived