Namath Thinks Jets Wasted a Draft Pick on Geno Smith

flgreen

No, he's already in the "Mark Sanchez lead the Jets to two AFC Championship games" camp. You know, the camp where all the kids wear helmets.

Except that he has the subject and the object of the sentence reversed.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52% Failure Rate... So, by your own measure, a 14% chance (slightly better than 1 out of every 10 picks) of finding a QB in round 1 than in round 2.

I don't know about that last sentence but it is true that 52% failure is better than 66%. I never said that first round QB's were 100% or anything like that. I was also being generous calling Kordell Stewart good. 

the point I was trying to make is that Joe said the Jets may have wasted a pick, historically there's a trend that backs it up. 2 out of 3 2nd round QBs are a wasted pick. 

Joe never wins. He criticizes the Jets, he's a drunk who doesn't know anything. He praises the Jets, he's a drunk who doesn't know anything.

1. Joe's right, more often than not, but that's never mentioned later. Is he right about the Geno thing? Remains to be seen, but he's got a point that Geno is not a lock to succeed, which most Jets fans don't want to hear. I'm convinced this is why we will never win another Super Bowl, we will only ever be competitive, because our fans are stupid crybabies who Woody wants to appease with a one and done playoff appearance, and that's good enough.

2. Until the Jets unveil anyone of anywhere near Namath's quality and wins a Super Bowl with him, you will be hearing from Joe Namath until he dies. It's not his fault he's the only noteworthy QB the Jets ever had.

Joe never wins. He criticizes the Jets, he's a drunk who doesn't know anything. He praises the Jets, he's a drunk who doesn't know anything.

1. Joe's right, more often than not, but that's never mentioned later. Is he right about the Geno thing? Remains to be seen, but he's got a point that Geno is not a lock to succeed, which most Jets fans don't want to hear. I'm convinced this is why we will never win another Super Bowl, we will only ever be competitive, because our fans are stupid crybabies who Woody wants to appease with a one and done playoff appearance, and that's good enough.

2. Until the Jets unveil anyone of anywhere near Namath's quality and wins a Super Bowl with him, you will be hearing from Joe Namath until he dies. It's not his fault he's the only noteworthy QB the Jets ever had.

I suppose that the conclusion I draw from your first senctence is that Joe doesn't know anything.  I am satisfied with that

I don't know about that last sentence but it is true that 52% failure is better than 66%. I never said that first round QB's were 100% or anything like that. I was also being generous calling Kordell Stewart good. 

the point I was trying to make is that Joe said the Jets may have wasted a pick, historically there's a trend that backs it up. 2 out of 3 2nd round QBs are a wasted pick. 

Yes.  66% is worse than 52%.  Now, how do you think those numbers fair when it comes to other positions?  Unless you mean to tell me that there is significantly less than 14% difference between 1st and 2nd round OT, OLB, WR, CB, etc then the only trend you have identified is that 1st round picks are less likely to be failures than 2nd round picks.  In which case, BRAVO!  So, to continue your point, 2nd round picks, not just 2nd round QBs, are likely a historically wasted pick.

And as far as generosity, I think one could say I was being that as well at times.  It still doesn't change the fact that your trend doesn't demonstrate much about QBs and is much more likely a result of the fact that better prospects (across all positions) are drafted in the 1st round as opposed to the 2nd.

One of the things that I agreed with Tannenbaum on was in his taking from Parcells/Wolf the idea that you draft at least one QB per year. I think it's a good policy especially when you DON'T do what Tannenbaum did EVERY year that he was the GM, which was trade away 2-3 picks which eventually leaves your team in the rebuilding mode like every 5 years.

I love that philosophy, however Tanny didn't actually do that as you point out. He mostly traded picks away and gave out sh*tty contracts.

I'm surprised we let him go though. I mean 2 AFC Championship games is pretty spectacular.

Yes.  66% is worse than 52%.  Now, how do you think those numbers fair when it comes to other positions?  Unless you mean to tell me that there is significantly less than 14% difference between 1st and 2nd round OT, OLB, WR, CB, etc then the only trend you have identified is that 1st round picks are less likely to be failures than 2nd round picks.  In which case, BRAVO!  So, to continue your point, 2nd round picks, not just 2nd round QBs, are likely a historically wasted pick.

And as far as generosity, I think one could say I was being that as well at times.  It still doesn't change the fact that your trend doesn't demonstrate much about QBs and is much more likely a result of the fact that better prospects (across all positions) are drafted in the 1st round as opposed to the 2nd.

I would also point to the Jets history over the past 10 years with 2nd round picks, a bit of research/findings I posted shortly after the draft. When you don't actually USE your 2nd rounder most years, it's got to impact your historical success rate as an organization in some way that supports bitontism, but that doesn't make him right.

I would also point to the Jets history over the past 10 years with 2nd round picks, a bit of research/findings I posted shortly after the draft. When you don't actually USE your 2nd rounder most years, it's got to impact your historical success rate as an organization in some way that supports bitontism, but that doesn't make him right.

Jets history is irrelevant in this case.  We have one John Idzik draft to go from, which is the only history that matters, and none of those players have seen the field yet.

Jets history is irrelevant in this case.  We have one John Idzik draft to go from, which is the only history that matters, and none of those players have seen the field yet.

Yeah, I agree. I was taking a shot at all the hindsight and stats.

i am not trying to prove Geno is bad or all 2nd round picks are bad. But i do think Joe Namath knows football and has been sober for years. He is easily dismissed and right more often than not. 

I know you're not trying to prove that 2nd round picks are bad.  You just kind of did that by accident.

I don't think Namath is always wrong.  I've agreed with a lot of what he's had to say.  However, in this case, Namath, a QB with a ton of distractions around him, is blaming distractions for Mark Sanchez, who was never good to begin with.  So, in this case, Joe doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on.  Tim Tebow is not the reason Sanchez is a bad QB.  Lack of ability is.

i am not trying to prove Geno is bad or all 2nd round picks are bad. But i do think Joe Namath knows football and has been sober for years. He is easily dismissed and right more often than not. 

So...Rex is a boob and Sanchez just needs more weapons?

Drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds was a move that was overdue by precisely 1 year.  Last year, Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for us to draft Russell Wilson, which we had ample opportunity to do.  But because we had already doubled down on Sanchez with a contract extension, taking a QB was apparently not an option. 

Idzik finally did what Tannenbaum failed to do; address the QB position when we know the incumbent sucks, without having to trade up or miss out on a higher-rated player.  If Tannenbaum had done this, he'd still be our GM.

Drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds was a move that was overdue by precisely 1 year.  Last year, Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for us to draft Russell Wilson, which we had ample opportunity to do.  But because we had already doubled down on Sanchez with a contract extension, taking a QB was apparently not an option. 

Idzik finally did what Tannenbaum failed to do; address the QB position when we know the incumbent sucks, without having to trade up or miss out on a higher-rated player.  If Tannenbaum had done this, he'd still be our GM.

Link? Are you serious? 

If true, Rex should be fed vegetables and then fired

Link? Are you serious? 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/11/jets_personnel_executive_liked.html

One member of the Jets' front office was high on Seahawks' Russell Wilson coming into April’s NFL Draft.

Senior Personnel Executive Terry Bradway championed the former Wisconsin quarterback's cause, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said today. It earned Wilson the nickname of “Russell Bradway” around the organization.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/11/jets_personnel_executive_liked.html

One member of the Jets' front office was high on Seahawks' Russell Wilson coming into April’s NFL Draft.

Senior Personnel Executive Terry Bradway championed the former Wisconsin quarterback's cause, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said today. It earned Wilson the nickname of “Russell Bradway” around the organization.

That's disgusting.. I h8 Rex

From what I am told we are actually 5 Rex Ryan drafts in. What a mediocre GM that guy has turned out to be. 

While I get your overall point, I don't see any way in which Namath could ever be considered to be right about this particular claim.  His point is that the Geno pick was a waste because of Sanchez.  I'm sorry, but that's completely moronic; the guy was perhaps the league's very worst QB last year or at least damn close.  Even if we take that part of his point out and simply look at Geno individually, I still don't think his point has much merit.  Sure, it could turn out that Geno doesn't end up working out for the Jets, but I think there's a big gap between a player not working out and the pick itself being deemed a waste.  Teams don't exactly get the benefit of hindsight when making draft picks and it's pretty much impossible to know for sure how a player will ultimately turn out, particularly a QB.

The Jets were a team desperate for a QB and ended up with the guy who just about every source outside of the Bills seemed to have as the draft's top-rated QB, and got him with their second round pick, their third pick in the draft.  Sorry, but I don't see how that in any way qualifies as a "wasted pick".  At the very least, it was a great try without too extreme of an investment for a QB.

While I get your overall point, I don't see any way in which Namath could ever be considered to be right about this particular claim.  His point is that the Geno pick was a waste because of Sanchez.  I'm sorry, but that's completely moronic; the guy was perhaps the league's very worst QB last year or at least damn close.  

but last year isn't this year. It's possible (however unlikely) that Sanchez could get better. 

but last year isn't this year. It's possible (however unlikely) that Sanchez could get better. 

Not only is it extremely unlikely that, even if improved, Sanchez will be anything close to a suitable starting QB, the Jets would have been absolute morons to work under the assumption that he suddenly would be, which is exactly what Namath is suggesting they should have done.  Even if Sanchez magically transforms into a future HOF QB and Geno ends up being an epic bust, I still think there's little to suggest that the pick itself, at the time it was made, wasn't a wise decision.

I doubt it.. Rex loved Snachez and outside of that it's been all first round defense.. that comes from the HC

Meh, draft position and whats available plays a huge factor, its not that black and white.  Looking at the drafts, the Jets didnt pass on much from an offensive standpoint in the last 4 drafts based on where they were selecting.  And the majority of Rex's drafts have been offense focused. 

While I get your overall point, I don't see any way in which Namath could ever be considered to be right about this particular claim.  His point is that the Geno pick was a waste because of Sanchez.  I'm sorry, but that's completely moronic; the guy was perhaps the league's very worst QB last year or at least damn close.  Even if we take that part of his point out and simply look at Geno individually, I still don't think his point has much merit.  Sure, it could turn out that Geno doesn't end up working out for the Jets, but I think there's a big gap between a player not working out and the pick itself being deemed a waste.  Teams don't exactly get the benefit of hindsight when making draft picks and it's pretty much impossible to know for sure how a player will ultimately turn out, particularly a QB.

The Jets were a team desperate for a QB and ended up with the guy who just about every source outside of the Bills seemed to have as the draft's top-rated QB, and got him with their second round pick, their third pick in the draft.  Sorry, but I don't see how that in any way qualifies as a "wasted pick".  At the very least, it was a great try without too extreme of an investment for a QB.

You're right, he's wrong about Sanchez. He's wrong in this case. I thought I put that in, but I must have taken it out while editing. I think that's just Namath identifying and sympathizing more with Sanchez, since he's a QB. But the way he's treated whenever he says anything by Jets fans, of all people, is pathetic.

I might just be hypersensitive to this issue because 1) I like Joe Namath and 2)  I'm tired of the number of Jets fans who seem to think Smith is going to come in and be Tom Brady. Like, really, stop. Did Sanchez's epic!fail! teach you nothing? Nothing's fail safe.

Archived