Namath Thinks Jets Wasted a Draft Pick on Geno Smith

flgreen

I know everybody keeps just saying it and all but the truth of the matter is this; Joe Namath is SOBER. I know it's funny and all to keep saying "STFU you drunk" and all but people who go through what Joe went through take it very seriously-life and death seriously and even though I pretty much disagree with EVERYTHING (including this one on Geno's drafting) that he's been saying about the Jets now for the last 5 years at least, I WILL defend him on his sobriety. So, to all of you guys who keep saying that he's a drunk and should just shut the f*ck up, you have no idea of what you are talking about and all of you should just STFU when it comes to Namath's sobriety

To be fair, you don't know that he hasn't been drinking either.  All I know is that when he and Simms went up to the podium at the draft and Namath tried to be cheerleader, I received about 3 or 4 texts from my friends who were watching it that asked if he was drunk again.  I don't know if he's drinking or not, and I don't care, but you have as much knowledge about what he is or is not drinking as the rest of us do.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it.. Rex loved Snachez and outside of that it's been all first round defense.. that comes from the HC

Meh, draft position and whats available plays a huge factor, its not that black and white.  Looking at the drafts, the Jets didnt pass on much from an offensive standpoint in the last 4 drafts based on where they were selecting.  And the majority of Rex's drafts have been offense focused. 

Even if Rex had input and said he didn't want Wilson, its a moot point.  For one, Tannenbaum could easily override him.  Moreover, Tannebaum handed Sanchez the contract extension that made drafting Wilson seemingly inconceivable.  Tannenbaum didn't draft Wilson because he wasn't looking for another QB, not because Rex told him not to.

The correct guy got fired and its time to move on.  Our new GM recognized the need for a QB, and if he works out, a lot will be forgiven.

but last year isn't this year. It's possible (however unlikely) that Sanchez could get better. 

LOL.  Do you even think about the things you write?  Seriously.

We never should have drafted Sanchez by this logic, as it was possible Kellen Clemens could have gotten better.

This year, Millner was obviously a waste as it is possible Kyle Wilson could get better.

It was definitely also a waste to bring in guards, as it is possible that Vlad could get better.

I'm tired of the number of Jets fans who seem to think Smith is going to come in and be Tom Brady. Like, really, stop. Did Sanchez's epic!fail! teach you nothing? Nothing's fail safe.

Is anyone saying this?

The best I've seen is a sentiment in line with:

Geno was a great pick because we need a QB and we got one who has all the measurables and experience without having to trading up or overdraft.

Homers!

LOL.  Do you even think about the things you write?  Seriously.

We never should have drafted Sanchez by this logic, as it was possible Kellen Clemens could have gotten better.

This year, Millner was obviously a waste as it is possible Kyle Wilson could get better.

It was definitely also a waste to bring in guards, as it is possible that Vlad could get better.

Note the use of the phrase "however unlikely." 

It's not unthinkable that those guys or Sanchez gets better. 

Never forget the lesson of James Farrior. A player can be invisible for 3 years and become an all pro in year 4. It has happened before. 

Is anyone saying this?

The best I've seen is a sentiment in line with:

Geno was a great pick because we need a QB and we got one who has all the measurables and experience without having to trading up or overdraft.

Homers!

Yeah. People are. Not here, necessarily, but I've been observing around the web. There is what seems to be a large number of people (usually commenters and people on Twitter) who seem to think Smith is going to come in and we are going to be a beastly offensive machine.

Unless it's one guy making a lot of accounts. Then maybe not.

Note the use of the phrase "however unlikely."

It's not unthinkable that those guys or Sanchez gets better.

Never forget the lesson of James Farrior. A player can be invisible for 3 years and become an all pro in year 4. It has happened before.

So, never attempt to improve a position for fear the player currently occupying it may improve... Got it.

Uncle Joe, throwing Mark a bone. From a QBs perspective, the Jets have thrown Sanchez through a meat grinder. Nothing wrong with a little sympathy.

They both banged more women than I've said 2+ words to.  They made more money (inflation considered) playing 1 game that kids play than I make in a couple of years of work.  No sympathy earned.

They both banged more women than I've said 2+ words to. They made more money (inflation considered) playing 1 game that kids play than I make in a couple of years of work. No sympathy earned.

I meant baller-to-baller sympathy.

Joe Namath says NY Jets wasted a draft pick on quarterback Geno Smith

To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez and would've been better off filling other positions.

Comments (1)

By Ebenezer Samuel  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 8:43 PM.

Jets' Sanchez brings a little Namath back to NY.

Myers: Namath's talk right on the Mark.

Namath: Mark it down!.

Quarterback competition between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg .

Joe Namath calls Gang Green’s prized rookie QB Geno Smith a “sensational athlete” with “good size.” And Namath also thinks drafting Smith was unnecessary. “No, I don’t think they needed a quarterback,” Namath said at the United Way’s 20th annual Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Tuesday. “They needed the other positions filled. Possibly offensive line. They got some defensive line. The safeties are still questionable. The outside linebackers are still questionable.”

To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has struggled in the last two seasons. But Namath attributed that to “distractions.”

“I am pulling for him,” Namath said of Sanchez. “I know that he can do better than he’s done. And we saw him lead a team to two AFC championship games, right? I also know what it’s like not to necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to accomplish.”

Mark Sanchez (r.) has a major ally in Joe Namath.

Al Pereira/Getty Images

Mark Sanchez (r.) has a major ally in Joe Namath.

Namath said just a handful of Jets got a “passing grade” last season, naming linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry as players who did play up to expectations. The others, he seemed to say, didn’t help Sanchez last year. But Namath expects Sanchez to help himself, whether he does so as a Jet, or in another NFL uniform.

“I know it’s a team game and I know Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath added. “I promise you you’ll see a different guy (this year). I believe you’ll see a different guy.

“Mark’s not a puppy anymore,” he added. “He’s gone through some things, growing process. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. As long as he wants to, he’s going to be in the NFL.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/namath-jets-wasted-draft-pick-smith-article-1.1351031#ixzz2Tzb6vdcj

I dont think that it was a wasted pick but I think that Namath has a great point about Sanchez. 

I dont think that it was a wasted pick but I think that Namath has a great point about Sanchez. 

IDK

I was kind of pulling for Sanchez this year.  Hoping he would put last year's awful performance behind him.  After yesterdays open OTA he is clearly unable to shake it off. 

Looks like it will be Smith.  Even though he was awful yesterday also.

That headband Sanchez is wearing  really  pushes the limits of gayness a bad NFL QB can get away with.

Who cares what Namath says anymore? The guy is a retired NFL QB who last played in the 70's. His brand of NFL football has radically evolved and he is just a fan like us now. Give Geno a break...we have seen the atrocities that Buttfumble has committed, especially the last two years, Geno has not had a chance yet to play an actual game, whether pre-season or regular season. Let it play out. Idzik is a smart guy, he let the draft come to him and STILL landed Geno in the second round. Let's not pay much attention to the nay-sayers in regards to Geno. We need hope and these bashing new player posts do nothing more than create vitriol in an already angry fanbase.

Namath, shut the hell up and go "KISH" some other sideline reporter....

IDK

I was kind of pulling for Sanchez this year.  Hoping he would put last year's awful performance behind him.  After yesterdays open OTA he is clearly unable to shake it off. 

Looks like it will be Smith.  Even though he was awful yesterday also.

That headband Sanchez is wearing  really  pushes the limits of gayness a bad NFL QB can get away with.

Its OTA's. If this was a preseason game then I would agree, but im not going to jump out of the window over 10 passes in shorts.

Its OTA's. If this was a preseason game then I would agree, but im not going to jump out of the window over 10 passes in shorts.

Thing is Villain, Marty has made it clear he doesn't want this QB question to go into camp.  I actually think they were hoping for Sanchez to show something.  He threw 3 picks in 15 throws.  I  thought Rex was really annoyed.  His job is on the line.

If Sanchez does this next week, he might be in serious trouble.  I know that makes a lot of people happy, but Smith is as green as they come in an NFL offense

This is what I've been trying to tell you all for awhile now...  Sanchez can and will play better this year but it may be too late for him in NY.

This doesn't make you Nostradamus if you're right. It would take a superhuman effort to play worse, not that I would put it past him.

He's been spot on most of the time.  But in this case he's flat out wrong.

he has been wrong before but usually when being too much of a homer (like when he predicted jets would beat steelers in afc championship). no one evicerated him for being "wrong" then. let's face it--people don't want to hear negative opinions about their team. plain and simple.

Archived