First Open OTA Practice

flgreen

It truly is sad how much this made me laugh.

Agreed, but hey!  We're Jets fans.  Sometimes all we've had to look forward to was a sick laugh at the team's misfortunes.  One has to have a morbid fascination and sense of humor to be a Jets' fan (plus a masochistic streak, if not a touch on insanity).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian Costello @BrianCoz  .

I can't figure out how the Jets will score points. I know it's May but man, they look bad.

7m  .

Beat Writer / Columnist

Points???  You mean they're supposed to score points?  I know I've heard of that concept somewhere in my distant past, but being a Jets fan, that's a pretty foreign concept.

Practice report: WR Hill sits

May, 22, 2013
May 22

2:29

PM ET

By  Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill did not participate in the organized team activity on Wednesday. The second-year receiver battled knee problems last season but said a few weeks ago that he is 100 percent healthy.

Hill's disappointing rookie season came to an end after knee surgery in December, and in early May he said that he was fully recovered. He had just 21 catches for 252 yards and three touchdowns last year and failed to become the impact player the Jets drafted him to be.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan should have an update on Hill later Wednesday.

THE QUARTERBACKS: Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith took nearly the same amount of reps on Wednesday, with the veteran getting the first-team reps. Neither player had a stellar day, combining for four interceptions and a pair of sacks.

Sanchez went 6-for-11 with three interceptions and one sack, while Smith went 3-for-10 with one interception and a sack. Sanchez tossed his picks to Antonio Cromartie, Jaiquawn Jarrett and defensive lineman Damon Harrison, who picked off a screen pass. The defense erupted after the 6-4, 350-pound lineman snagged the pass.

Linebacker Garrett McIntyre intercepted Smith.

Quarterbacks Matt Simms and Greg McElroy both received barely any reps. Simms was the third-team quarterback while McElroy was the fourth-team signal caller.

BACK FOR A DAY: Jets linebacker Quinton Coples spent Wednesday back on the defensive line. The team is transitioning him to linebacker after playing on the line in his rookie season.

"We had different calls today that sent me in different situations," Coples said.

Those different calls could have been attributed to an absent player, as defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis was not seen on Wednesday. The Jets used Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson and first-round pick Sheldon Richardson on the line, with Richardson playing some nose tackle.

Coples said he loves his new position because he gets a head start in rushing or dropping into coverage. Coples had 5.5 sacks to lead the Jets last year but will have to work on his coverage skills as a linebacker.

WHO SAT OUT: In addition to Hill and Ellis, receiver Santonio Holmes, defensive lineman Antonio Garay, first-round cornerback Dee Milliner and receiver Jordan White didn't practice. Holmes and Milliner were not scheduled to participate as they recover from surgery.

HIGHLIGHTS: Receiver Jeremy Kerley had a good day. He was featured due to the absences of Hill and Holmes. ... Tight end Hayden Smith also made some nice catches. ... Safety Antonio Allen seemed to be taking the first-team reps alongside Josh Bush. The Jets lost their starting safeties this offseason in LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell.

Jordan White is a guy the board generally likes better than I do, but any way you look at it, that kid is always hurt.  He supposedly dropped in the draft because of some lingering problem, came into camp with injury concerns and was hurt much of the season.  Probably not a good sign he's dinged up already. 

Points???  You mean they're supposed to score points?  I know I've heard of that concept somewhere in my distant past, but being a Jets fan, that's a pretty foreign concept.

Seriously.  I just thought it was common knowledge our defense can't give up more than 13 points p/game to even have a shot at winning.

If it's our first preseason game and they're saying that, I'll be more worried, but 2nd day of OTAs, not really terrified.

Didn't many people say "it's only preseason" all last year.   Eventually, whether it's practice or preseason or game 1, they have to make plays and show up.  Otherwise it is the same old crap every year.

Geno Smith still working to improve footwork, and other OTA notes

New York Jets OTA Practice 5-22-13
View the Slideshow >>

(Gallery by William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM, updated May 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Geno Smith has 99 problems, but hiring an agency isn't one of them (sorry, sorry). Some, though, involve footwork under center while adjusting to the team's West Coast-style offense.

It's visible during practice, but no more so than any rookie adjusting to a different way of taking snaps after spending so much time in another system.

"I'm under center more, not as much shotgun," Smith said. "A lot more things that are tied into your footwork. At West Virginia, I was allowed to kind of freelance. It's a little bit more structured here. Overall, the routes are pretty similar as far as concepts go. The terminology is different. That's the biggest thing for me to adjust to."

Smith said he's buried himself in the playbook and continues to bounce questions off Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach David Lee. While Mark Sanchez was taking the reps today, Smith was taking note.

"I pay attention to every single snap," he said. "It's a good thing to get mental reps. I think Mark and I think Greg and all those guys do the same thing when I'm in."

Some other notes...

+ Matt Simms appeared to take the third-string reps today, if there is such thing during OTAs. Sanchez went first, Smith went second, Greg McElroy went fourth. Simms got four total reps and McElroy got three.

+ Sheldon Richardson played a lot of nose tackle today, bumping inside for a majority of practice. Quinton Coples, now a hybrid outside linebacker, also played with his hand in the dirt today.

+ The defense looks well ahead of the offense, which is to be expected. Outside of Richardson, though, Jaiquawn Jarrett stood out with a heady interception on the errant pass by Sanchez.

+ Vlad Ducasse was playing a little bit of right tackle before bumping down to guard today. Oday Aboushi also repped at both positions. With the "A" group today, it was (from right to left) Austin Howard (RT), Ducasse (RG), Nick Mangold ©, Stephen Peterman (G), D'Brickashaw Ferguson (LT).

Brian Winters also jumped into the mix with the first team as well.

+ Stephen Hill, Antonio Garay, Santonio Holmes, Dee Milliner and Jordan White did not practice today. With Hill, Holmes and White all out, it led to a heavy workload for Jeremy Kerley, who had a few nice grabs.

Sanchez throws three INTs, Smith also struggles at Jets workouts
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 3:11 PM, May 22, 2013

There was a familiar sight during the Jets' first practice open to the media – Mark Sanchez throwing interceptions.

Sanchez threw three picks during the session Wednesday, kicking off the competition with rookie Geno Smith for the starting job. Neither quarterback looked good and the entire offense looked dismal.

Sanchez went 6-for-11 with three picks and one sack, while Smith completed 3-of-10 passes with one interception and a sack. Top receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill did not practice due to recovery from surgeries, leaving both quarterbacks working with a cast of unproven and inexperienced receivers, which led to some of the problems.

"I've got to be confident in what I'm doing, know I'm making the right decisions, putting the ball in the right spot," Sanchez said. "If the guy's there or not there, I can't fix that. I've just got to be on my game and trust that the coaches and everybody will see that and they will."

Sanchez was intercepted on an overthrow by cornerback Antonio Cromartie, a forced throw by defensive lineman Damon Harrison and a throw into double coverage by safety Jaiquan Jarrett. Smith's lone interception was on a tipped pass that appeared to hit the ground but was ruled an interception by linebacker Garrett McIntyre.

"A couple of those throws I want back," Sanchez said. "Of all people, freakin' Snacks (Harrison), that's like your worst nightmare. But I was just trying to make a play, that's one of those things where I should pull the ball down and run or something. I'm shaking the rust off a little bit, getting back into the swing of things, especially with a lot of young guys."

Sanchez seems genuinely enthused about new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's system.

"I just really feel like this coaching staff will get the best out of me," he said

He said he's not worrying about the competition, his first since his rookie year.

"I don't know if it feels different," he said. "I'm competing against the defense. I'm competing to make plays and get first downs. It's not like Geno's on the other side of the field and we're throwing the ball against each other. I don't really think about it that way. I've played long enough now that I don't really worry about the quarterback on the other side of the field or the quarterback in competition with you. It just doesn't really bother me."

Sanchez and Smith took just about the same number of reps. Sanchez worked with the first team. Matt Simms worked with the third team and Greg McElroy with the fourth. … NT Kenrick Ellis was nowhere to be seen. … Holmes was on the field but did not participate. He had foot surgery last October. DT Antonio Garay, CB Dee Milliner and WR Jordan White also did not practice. G Willie Colon did not do team drills.

Read more: Sanchez throws three INTs, Smith also struggles at Jets workouts http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/sanchez_throws_three_interceptions_Vnbq2zFUMUHd5LwtPlGzZL#ixzz2U3JgPCvY

Remember when Sanchez was all like, "hey, you just have to stop turning the ball over"....that was cool 

First thing I thought about.  He said something llike you have to get into the habit of not turning the ball over....Welcome to the NYJ Marty!!!

Looking at our WR corp as well....its certainly not good.

the problem is the defense always looks lightyears ahead of the offense.

whether it be the first ota or the last reg season game

Didn't many people say "it's only preseason" all last year.   Eventually, whether it's practice or preseason or game 1, they have to make plays and show up.  Otherwise it is the same old crap every year.

Oh, I understand the offense is brutal and I fully expect it to be all season, but until the pads are on it's not worth reading into too much.  I'll also give Geno more than two OTA practices to feel comfortable.

Sanchez throws three INTs, Smith also struggles at Jets workouts

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 3:11 PM, May 22, 2013

There was a familiar sight during the Jets' first practice open to the media – Mark Sanchez throwing interceptions.

Sanchez threw three picks during the session Wednesday, kicking off the competition with rookie Geno Smith for the starting job. Neither quarterback looked good and the entire offense looked dismal.

Sanchez went 6-for-11 with three picks and one sack, while Smith completed 3-of-10 passes with one interception and a sack. Top receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill did not practice due to recovery from surgeries, leaving both quarterbacks working with a cast of unproven and inexperienced receivers, which led to some of the problems.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/sanchez_throws_three_interceptions_Vnbq2zFUMUHd5LwtPlGzZL#ixzz2U3JgPCvY

I thought it was just a mentality?? Guess he hasn't decided to make that mental decision not to throw interceptions any more.  Which begs the question, did he actively decide to throw to the other time, because f*ck winning?

Seriously.  I just thought it was common knowledge our defense can't give up more than 13 points p/game to even have a shot at winning.

But don't you know that Rex expects the D to win the games?  That means the offense just doesn't turn the ball over, and the D will score some safeties, pick 6s and fumble returns, plus set the offense up to kick some FGs.  :winking0001:

Manish Mehta  @MMehtaNYDN  .

Practice wrapping up: Sanchez finishes 6-11, 3 INTs in 15 snaps. Geno Smith finishes 3-10, INT in 14 snaps. Both "sacked" once #nyj

4m  .

Beat Writer / Columnist

Well that's it.  Geno wins Super Bowl

wow....sanchez in mid-season form already

Big Snacks is the greatest nickname in the NFL. 

David Harris falling down attempting to "tackle" Ivory gives me a mental happy. 

Don't care if the system is new to both QBs, Sanchez in his 5th year should look worlds better than any rookie 2nd round pick who played in a triple option his whole career.  

In the old system, he threw INTs to defensive linemen.  The new system is still a work in progress.

It's only preseason really is only relevant to final scores.  The Jets offense looked exactly like it did in preseason this year.  Usually does.

But don't you know that Rex expects the D to win the games?  That means the offense just doesn't turn the ball over, and the D will score some safeties, pick 6s and fumble returns, plus set the offense up to kick some FGs.  :winking0001:

that actually can be a winning strategy if the offense doesn't turn the ball over. the offense is so dysfunctional. 

I feel like I've read this exact quote, every year, for the past few years...

I can't figure out how the Jets will score points. I know it's May but man, they look bad.
7m  .
Beat Writer / Columnist

7m  .

Beat Writer / Columnist

This is why Jets fans hate the beat writers. Do other teams get this kind of sh*t the first day of open OTAs?

I don't think the Jets will be good, but I'd like to be happy about football season until at least August.

In the old system, he threw INTs to defensive linemen.  The new system is still a work in progress.

I wonder if he addressed the media regarding his previous comments on how "not throwing INTs is just a mentality."  I would like to hear his rationale for his continuing the throw of the ball to the opposing team.

This is why Jets fans hate the beat writers. Do other teams get this kind of sh*t the first day of open OTAs?

I don't think the Jets will be good, but I'd like to be happy about football season until at least August.

Could just be me, but I actually don't be mind Connor, his comments seem to be factual and less sarcastic and come more from frustration than bitterness.  Whereas anything Richy types is dripping with snark.  

Could just be me, but I actually don't be mind Connor, his comments seem to be factual and less sarcastic and come more from frustration than bitterness.  Whereas anything Richy types is dripping with snark.  

Connor's all right. He stepped in for Vrentas. The Star Ledger's been legit.

that actually can be a winning strategy if the offense doesn't turn the ball over. the offense is so dysfunctional. 

In what dimension or universe?  Not in this one, not in today's NFL.  IMO it's borderline insanity and grounds for firing.

Oh, I understand the offense is brutal and I fully expect it to be all season, but until the pads are on it's not worth reading into too much.  I'll also give Geno more than two OTA practices to feel comfortable.

how you preform in practice only matters when it comes to tebow

I wonder if he addressed the media regarding his previous comments on how "not throwing INTs is just a mentality."  I would like to hear his rationale for his continuing the throw of the ball to the opposing team.

He, obviously, hasn't made the decision to not do that anymore. Once he does, it will be a non-issue. He said so ... less than a week ago. 

Archived