Unnamed Jet: Bench Sanchez

Lizard King

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/23/unnamed-jet-goes-to-town-on-mark-sanchez/

It’s good to see that Woody Johnson’s ban on leaks held up so well.

While this one wasn’t the front office variety which was so common before, an unnamed Jets player has already started the Mark Sanchez-ripping which I think we all saw coming.

Come to think of it, Unnamed Jet has been the team’s most consistent performer in recent years.

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com talked to a Jets player, who didn’t offer his name, who said 80 to 90 percent of the team was ready to see Sanchez replaced as the starting quarterback.

“Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance,” the player said.

This comes on the heels of a three-interception practice by Sanchez which coach Rex Ryan deemed “unacceptable.”

This train is only leaving the station, and it’s only going to pick up steam. If not for the horrible contract extension the previous administration gave him, new Jets General Manager John Idzik might have been inclined to start that rebuilding effort with rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

But numbers dictated that they keep Sanchez, and now they’re apparently in for a fun year of back-biting and general mayhem.

cowardlylion.jpg

“Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance,” the player said.

You have to love that this is the only thing from the entire article which is actually coming from this unnamed Jet, while the rest is just more of the same old desperate attempts at sh*t-stirring from the media.  Truth be told, this quote is pretty tame all things considered; about at as tame as you could get given the topic.  I mean, they like him but think that maybe someone else should be given a chance?  You mean exactly like the team is currently doing so with this QB competition?  Oh the horror!

You have to love that this is the only thing from the entire article which is actually coming from this unnamed Jet, while the rest is just more of the same old desperate attempts at sh*t-stirring from the media.  Truth be told, this quote is pretty tame all things considered; about at as tame as you could get given the topic.  I mean, they like him but think that maybe someone else should be given a chance?  You mean exactly like the team is currently doing so with this QB competition?  Oh the horror!

+1

This is a total BS article.  Not that the theme of it is wrong, but it is way over blown, and not news

This.

There is nobody on the Jets capable of giving such an elegant quote. Not buying this article.

But I agree. Screw Mark Sanchez. The guy sucks.

My money is on Brick or Stephen Hill. Hill is articulate, but stupid enough to confide in a hack like Freeman.

My money is on McElroy as the unnamed Jet.

this is already being called a "non-story" by Cimini..  that should tell you something.

McElroy is the only dude thats ever put his name on it around these parts.

My money is on Brick or Stephen Hill. Hill is articulate, but stupid enough to confide in a hack like Freeman.

Definitely offense, definitely not Holmes. 

The unnamed player is basically saying that for the past 4 years it was 100% Buttfumble's job. Now, the team feels like someone else, Geno, should be given the real opportunity to start. I completely agree. Nothing replaces game experience. Start Geno in game 1.

The unnamed player is basically saying that for the past 4 years it was 100% Buttfumble's job. Now, the team feels like someone else, Geno, should be given the real opportunity to start. I completely agree. Nothing replaces game experience. Start Geno in game 1.

Then draft  Teddy in round 1

If Geno Smith really can't beat out Sanchez - never one to do well in pre-season himself - then he shouldn't be starting week 1.

As much as I can't stand Sanchez, if he wins the job he wins the job.  The chances of him keeping it are pretty slim anyway.

And that my friend, is the silver lining.

what else would one infer from the phrase "give someone else a chance?"

When you title a thread Unnamed Jet:  Bench Sanchez.  It  certainly infers a direct quote.  It's not really close to what was said.

I personally would infer "give someone else a chance" to mean exactly what they are doing.

Competing

McElroy is the only dude thats ever put his name on it around these parts.

Definitely offense, definitely not Holmes. 

I'm curious why you think it is definitely an offensive player.  If you were a Jet defender, wouldn't you be sick of seeing Sanchez on the field knowing that he was a pick 6 waiting to happen and not likely to lead the offense to many points?

I'm curious why you think it is definitely an offensive player.  If you were a Jet defender, wouldn't you be sick of seeing Sanchez on the field knowing that he was a pick 6 waiting to happen and not likely to lead the offense to many points?

I'm sure its an equal hatred.  I just think the offense has more familiar faces.  Lots of new/younger dudes on D who couldnt formulate such an elegant sentence.

Cro?  No way.

Harris? He's a mute.

Pace?  He's lucky to be here.

Wilson?  Nobody talks to him.

Therefore, it had to be offense.

Anonymous Jet is an a$$hole. Let's get that out of the way. These kind of quotes are destructive to the whole locker room, no matter how many players want Sanchez out of the starting line up (or off the team).

That said, I believe it. I think Rex has lost the team the last two years because the team had so completely lost faith in Sanchez, and Rex didn't have a move he could make (and that's Rex's fault, too! Harrumph!). He tried McElroy last year, but that was too little too late. Garrard getting continuing to be hurt really hurts the team because unless some QB they like shakes free during the mini-draft, it really puts all their eggs in the Geno Smith basket. Barring Sanchez suddenly becoming Drew Brees, it's not a matter of if Sanchez gets benched, but when. Getting Geno up to speed ASAP is imperative.

Then draft  Teddy in round 1

Very likely to happen if Geno starts right off the back.

Very likely to happen if Geno starts right off the back.

I agree

I have no idea what kind of QB Geno is going to be, but I know he is not ready to take over an NFL team right now.   He needs at least one year to learn how to drop back from under center at least  

Sadly, Sanchez looks like he is going to pick up right where he left off.  Right now I would rather see McElroy hitting OL in the back of the head with passes.  At least they are wearing the same jersey.

If Geno is opening day starter we will be doing this again next off season, in another weak QB class.  If he sits for a year, he'll get a full year to see if the Jets have anything in him.  If not, hopefully 2015 draft will have a QB

I agree

I have no idea what kind of QB Geno is going to be, but I know he is not ready to take over an NFL team right now.   He needs at least one year to learn how to drop back from under center at least  

Sadly, Sanchez looks like he is going to pick up right where he left off.  Right now I would rather see McElroy hitting OL in the back of the head with passes.  At least they are wearing the same jersey.

If Geno is opening day starter we will be doing this again next off season, in another weak QB class.  If he sits for a year, he'll get a full year to see if the Jets have anything in him.  If not, hopefully 2015 draft will have a QB

I was hoping for a vet to take the first half and then give Geno a chance.

Anonymous Jet is an a$$hole. Let's get that out of the way. These kind of quotes are destructive to the whole locker room, no matter how many players want Sanchez out of the starting line up (or off the team).

That said, I believe it. I think Rex has lost the team the last two years because the team had so completely lost faith in Sanchez, and Rex didn't have a move he could make (and that's Rex's fault, too! Harrumph!). He tried McElroy last year, but that was too little too late. Garrard getting continuing to be hurt really hurts the team because unless some QB they like shakes free during the mini-draft, it really puts all their eggs in the Geno Smith basket. Barring Sanchez suddenly becoming Drew Brees, it's not a matter of if Sanchez gets benched, but when. Getting Geno up to speed ASAP is imperative.

While I think "destructive to the whole locker room" is a tad extreme for such a relatively timid quote, I do agree with the general theme of your post.  This isn't just one of those fan things where we don't like a particular guy.  Sanchez is a terrible player, it's just the reality of the situation and everyone knows it, not just the fans and the media, but the players and coaches too.  At the bare minimum, that means these other guys who have to rely so heavily on their QB at least want to see anyone and everyone else at the position have every possible chance to show that they can do a better job.  So like you said, even if Sanchez does get the start, it's just going to be a matter of how long they let him keep the seat warm for Smith.  Truth be told, the same will hold true if anyone else but Smith is the week 1 starter; even if it's McElroy or someone they pick up off the scrap heap.

Archived