Unnamed Jet: Bench Sanchez

Lizard King

Anonymous Jet is an a$$hole. Let's get that out of the way. These kind of quotes are destructive to the whole locker room, no matter how many players want Sanchez out of the starting line up (or off the team).

That said, I believe it. I think Rex has lost the team the last two years because the team had so completely lost faith in Sanchez, and Rex didn't have a move he could make (and that's Rex's fault, too! Harrumph!). He tried McElroy last year, but that was too little too late. Garrard getting continuing to be hurt really hurts the team because unless some QB they like shakes free during the mini-draft, it really puts all their eggs in the Geno Smith basket. Barring Sanchez suddenly becoming Drew Brees, it's not a matter of if Sanchez gets benched, but when. Getting Geno up to speed ASAP is imperative.

Suppose for a second, this quote is attributed to a real NY Jet. Three years ago, Rex loved his players speaking to the media. I think if this stuff is supposed to stop, Rex has to go. To send a real message, they need for a moment to stop worrying about cutting guys like Mike Goodson; you need to cut the head off the snake. These days, what kind of credibility could Rex even have with his locker room, or colleagues?

If Geno is opening day starter we will be doing this again next off season, in another weak QB class.  If he sits for a year, he'll get a full year to see if the Jets have anything in him.  If not, hopefully 2015 draft will have a QB

I hope they don't sit on their hands at the QB position next year without seeing Geno in action first.

You have to love that this is the only thing from the entire article which is actually coming from this unnamed Jet, while the rest is just more of the same old desperate attempts at sh*t-stirring from the media. Truth be told, this quote is pretty tame all things considered; about at as tame as you could get given the topic. I mean, they like him but think that maybe someone else should be given a chance? You mean exactly like the team is currently doing so with this QB competition? Oh the horror!

Yep. Everything is paraphrased to be sensationalized these days.

This slipped through the cracks yesterday, but Mike Freeman of CBS sports wrote an article about nine offseason moves that need to happen. One of them? The Jets should cut Mark Sanchez. Here’s a blip of what Freeman wrote:

“This from a Jets player, who asked not to be identified: ‘Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance.’ The player went on to say that he estimates that 80-90 percent of the team feels the same way he does.”

This shouldn’t really come to the surprise of anyone. I mean, you’ve watched Mark Sanchez play the last two years, why wouldn’t you want change at that position? The more concerning part is the “anonymous” bashing. If you’re going to say these things, be a man and put your name on it. My hope is that the leaders of this team can come together and tell everyone to knock it off and keep it in the locker room.

Just another day in Jet Nation.

I'm sure its an equal hatred.  I just think the offense has more familiar faces.  Lots of new/younger dudes on D who couldnt formulate such an elegant sentence.

Cro?  No way.

Harris? He's a mute.

Pace?  He's lucky to be here.

Wilson?  Nobody talks to him.

Therefore, it had to be offense.

LOL! Makes sense.  I had momentarily forgotten about all the turnover/new players on D. Thanks.

I hope they don't sit on their hands at the QB position next year without seeing Geno in action first.

IMO they shouldn't.  At the very least, unless Simms suddenly explodes, they're gonna need a quality backup for Smith going forward.  Even if Smith plays well this year, there's no guarantee that he'll continue to improve going forward and evolve into a franchise type QB.  Unless the Jets are drafting #1 and Clowney's sitting there, a strong argument could be made for selecting a QB high, especially if Idzik sticks to his BPA mantra and they're drafting somewhere in the 3-5 range and a QB is there.  As I said in another post, they could keep both of them for a year then if need be, trade one in 2015.

More likely, I think they should look to draft a QB somewhere in rounds 3-5 to develop as their backup.  Smith could start next season, they could bring in a veteran who can still play for a year or two while the kid they drafted develops.

Some people think the Jets should draft a QB every year.  We all know that QBs are at a premium.  If the Jets can draft some middle and lower round QBs and develop them into quality backups or potential starters,  they can trade them for higher picks a year or so down the road.

I agree

I have no idea what kind of QB Geno is going to be, but I know he is not ready to take over an NFL team right now.   He needs at least one year to learn how to drop back from under center at least  

Sadly, Sanchez looks like he is going to pick up right where he left off.  Right now I would rather see McElroy hitting OL in the back of the head with passes.  At least they are wearing the same jersey.

If Geno is opening day starter we will be doing this again next off season, in another weak QB class.  If he sits for a year, he'll get a full year to see if the Jets have anything in him.  If not, hopefully 2015 draft will have a QB

While I'm in total agreement that Geno should have the opportunity to sit until he's ready, I'm not sure that will take a year.  It may, but if he's feeling very comfortable and ready to go by game 8, or even earlier, then I think I'd pull the trigger as long as the OL has gelled.  I wouldn't throw him out there if he's gonna have to run for his life on every play.  I'd rather let Sanchez take the beating he deserves or McElroy.

Suppose for a second, this quote is attributed to a real NY Jet. Three years ago, Rex loved his players speaking to the media. I think if this stuff is supposed to stop, Rex has to go. To send a real message, they need for a moment to stop worrying about cutting guys like Mike Goodson; you need to cut the head off the snake. These days, what kind of credibility could Rex even have with his locker room, or colleagues?

I agree.  Unless or until Rex grows a pair and stops this crap, it's gonna continue to be a damn circus.  Personally, I don't think he's capable, but I guess there's always hope.

maybe if the scumbag beat writers did something besides troll for QB quotes there would be fewer "leaks"

how is the linebacker group looking ?

how is the kick return game looking ?

defensive line ?  oh wait, they're good, can't talk about them

Meet the New York Jets Anonymous Source: Greg McElroy

May 25th, 2013 at 5:30 am by Craig HoffmanJets

Home » Jets » Meet the New York Jets Anonymous Source: Greg McElroy

There was some high comedy on Thursday when beat writers attacked beat writers, a national writer attacked a beat writer and that same national writer penned a story that was fueled by an anonymous Jet. Fortunately the whole thing seems to tie together nicely in the end.

About eight hours earlier Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential (@jetswhispers) posted a link to a story where he wonders why Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News and others were interviewing Greg McElroy when it was already reported that he was “out” of the quarterback competition. The story also included a picture of Mehta alone interviewing McElroy in the Jets locker room. The very obvious insinuation was that those talking to McElroy were looking for information from a disgruntled employee.

Meanwhile, at roughly the same time, Mike Freeman of CBS Sports (@realfreemancbs) released a small blurb within a story which said, “This from a Jets player, who asked not to be identified: “Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance.” The player went on to say that he estimates that 80-90 percent of the team feels the same way he does.”

Roughly an hour after Leberfeld’s story showing a picture of Mehta and McElroy, Freeman had an interesting tweet. The tweet reads “I love when a guy who uses anonymous sources ALL THE TIME mocks when someone else does. Jesus.”. Manish Mehta uses anonymous sources all the time and was talking to McElroy so Mehta may have been experiencing some sour grapes that Freeman got the story first.

Let’s think about this logically. First Leberfeld calls out Mehta and others for pumping McElroy for information. Then a story breaks where an “anonymous Jet” thinks the Jets should give another quarterback a chance. Remember this is the same Greg McElroy who blasted his teammates after the 2011 season. It is pretty cut and dry in my mind that McElroy is the source and along with his outburst after 2011 it is best to see if there is a better 3rd string quarterback out there or risk having an anonymous source all year.

Archived