Wow -what a history for Mike Goodson

faba

Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Jets RB Mike Goodson Arrested
AFC East blogger James Walker discusses Mike Goodson's off-field issues following an arrest on drug and weapons charges.Tags: Mike Goodson, Jets, Chris Ivory, James Walker
Jets RB Mike Goodson Arrested

Two months ago, the New York Jets signed unheralded free-agent running back Mike Goodson to a three-year, $6.9 million contract because they fell in love with his upside:

He plays fast.

Turns out he lives fast, too.

Goodson's legal issues didn't start with last Friday's arrest in New Jersey on drug and weapons charges, which could result in jail time. In his previous NFL stops, with the Carolina Panthers and Oakland Raiders, his personal life spilled into the courts.

Goodson

He was sued for paternity and child support from three different women from August, 2010, to May, 2011, according to court documents in North Carolina and Texas, where he grew up. He has fathered at least six children with those women, one of whom he lived with for two years, records show.

One woman, who dropped her initial case, is planning to re-file a paternity action next week, according to her attorney.

An investigation into Goodson's background uncovered no criminal activity prior to last week's incident, but there were a string of incidents which have led to legal action against him.

Goodson didn't pay a $56,465 bill at a Houston-area jewelry store, which included the purchase of a $37,500 Breitling watch, according to court records. The store sued him and, after interest and fees, he ended up paying $84,423.44. The amount was garnished from his Raiders pay checks, according to records in Texas and California.

Earlier, with the Panthers, Goodson was sued three times by two different apartment complexes in the Charlotte area, which demanded unpaid rent -- ranging from $1,413 to $2,744, records show. In the latter two cases, records show he received eviction notices.

Despite that, Goodson, who turned 26 on Thursday, was scooped up early in the free-agent signing period. He landed a $1 million signing bonus from the Jets, who envision him as a major contributor in their backfield. Though modest compared to high profile free agents, it was the largest bonus doled out by the Jets.

A Jets spokesman declined to comment on Goodson's past, but added the team's policy is to investigate every player.

When the news of the arrest broke last week, an opposing scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said of the Jets, "Do these guys do background checks?"

There were character questions about Goodson when he came out of Texas A&M in 2009. He was regarded by scouts as a second-round talent, but slipped to the fourth round.

By then, he had three kids with Ashlee Wilson of Houston, according to court records and her attorney. The first was born in April, 2005, Goodson's senior year in high school. Their current ages are eight, five and four, respectively. Wilson said she gave birth to the couple's fourth child in August, 2011.

On Aug. 20, 2010, as Goodson was preparing for his second season in Carolina, Wilson requested a temporary restraining order and filed a child-support suit, according to court documents. One month later, Goodson was served with papers at Bank of American Stadium, one day after a home loss.

The case never was prosecuted. Wilson declined to say why she didn't pursue the matter -- she was living with Goodson's mother at the time -- but she has re-considered. Her attorney, Glenn Lilly, said Friday they will seek retroactive child support, a lump-sum payment and periodic child support from Goodson. He will file the suit next week in a Harris County (Texas) Court.

Wilson and the four children now live with her parents. Lilly said Goodson still owes him $7,000 in fees from the original case, as ordered by the court.

By this time, Goodson was nearly two years into a relationship with Troyneshia Scott, who moved in with him in Charlotte, according to court documents.

Goodson fathered a child with a third woman, Jasmine Dupont of Charlotte, per court records and a person close to Goodson. That child was born March 22, 2010. Twenty months later, Dupont sued for child support.

On Dec. 1, 2012, Scott gave birth to Goodson's son. She, too, eventually sued for child support. They lived together long enough for their relationship to be considered a common-law marriage, according to court documents. They separated in February, 2012, and Scott filed divorce papers on Sept. 4, 2012.

Jets blog

nyj.gif Looking for more on
the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »

The divorce papers claim Scott "found out (Goodson) has another newborn child, which caused her to go into a depression." The name of the child isn't listed in the documents.

The Dupont and Scott cases never were prosecuted. Scott's attorney, Sonya Chandler Anderson, said her client dropped the case without giving an explanation.

In 2012, Goodson played for the Raiders after he was traded by the Panthers. His off-the-field issues never became public, but the Panthers organization was aware of everything, according to a source. The team felt he was distracted and lost focus, causing a fumbling problem.

"He's not a bad kid, he just made a lot of bad decisions," said a person familiar with Goodson's background.

During one stretch, Goodson couldn't go a few months without being sued. In April 2012, he was sued for failing to make payments on a $49,000 Mercedes-Benz he purchased from a South Carolina man.

Some trace Goodson's mistakes to a tough upbringing. His father, Mike Goodson, Sr., a former Pitt basketball player, orchestrated a $12 million mortgage scam and was convicted in 2007 of conspiracy, mail fraud and wire fraud. He was sentenced to a minimum of 24 years in prison. At the sentencing, he told the judge he has 12 children to support.

Those close to Goodson believe he can thrive if surrounded by positive role models. They say he felt comfortable in Oakland because he developed a bond with general manager Reggie McKenzie, but he became a free agent and the Raiders opted not to re-sign him.

Goodson's career took another turn last Friday morning on Route 80 in New Jersey, where he was the passenger in an SUV that stopped in a center lane.

A state trooper, in an affidavit, said Goodson was "incoherent, slobbering and had vomited all over himself." A small bag of marijuana was found in his pants pocket and a loaded handgun was discovered in the glove compartment, the trooper said.

Goodson pleaded not guilty to all charges, including possession of marijuana and unlawful possession of a handgun. He told the Jets he doesn't own the gun, his lawyer said. If convicted of the gun charge, he could face three years in prison.

Goodson, who missed the first week of organized team activities amid the arrest fallout, will return to practice next week, according to a league source.

"We will support Mike," said Goodson's agent, Kennard McGuire. "I will not and cannot give up on Mike. Society does that enough. We will allow this process to play itself out and we will maintain our position of holding Mike accountable. If the past is the past, we will continue to surround him with the proper people and I have no doubt that he will mature to the level of that support."

From what I hear - 1-the gun was in the glovebox--not his car--

2. the pot was in the car--not his car--3. he was very drunk---he wasn't
driving----I think the only problem now is can he pass a drug
test?-Otherwise he has a spot on the Jets---case closed --- the other stuff ---women-kids-money management problems --half of the players in the NFL are in the same boat---and that stuff is just for old ladies sitting around the kitchen table drinking coffee and spewing gossip

test?-Otherwise he has a spot on the Jets---case closed --- the other stuff ---women-kids-money management problems --half of the players in the NFL are in the same boat---and that stuff is just for old ladies sitting around the kitchen table drinking coffee and spewing gossip

This all kind of points in one direction and it's the direction of stupid. The guy seems like a retard but at least will be entertained if he stays since the media will be following him at all times

Some of it is just being stupid.  Plenty of people around the world like that.   Some of it is a severe character flaw.   People love to use family as a reference if its good, but if its bad, people like to throw out "thats not them."      The fact his father got busted for some mortgage scam for millions and wound up in prison doesn't mean anything. Except he seems to have a severe character flaw in being responsible.  He gets sued for not paying anything.     After awhile that catches up to you or your luck runs out. Maybe he'll get away with this debacle, maybe not.  But it seems the guy will put himself in the same situations over and over again.    

Do it once, twice, even three times and you learn.  Do it over and over again and it becomes a character trait.   He seems to duck responsibility.   Will that mean anything as a running back?   No.  But the guy isn't some star that can get away with most of these things over and over.    And the NFL isn't exactly a place he'd learn better habits. 

Do it once, twice, even three times and you learn. Do it over and over again and it becomes a character trait. He seems to duck responsibility. Will that mean anything as a running back? No. But the guy isn't some star that can get away with most of these things over and over. And the NFL isn't exactly a place he'd learn better habits.

The article says he just needs a solid mentor and the Jets are stacked with those, so take your pick Mike Goodson!

The article says he just needs a solid mentor and the Jets are stacked with those, so take your pick Mike Goodson!

The problem is, like many kids and adults,  nobody really listens.  They nod, smile, and do what they want and sometimes it backfires, sometimes they buck the system for a long time.    He doesn't seem like a bad kid from all the stories, but who knows, maybe he just hasn't been caught.   He does seem like a kid who doesn't learn and doesn't have any desire to be responsible or do the right thing.    Most intelligent people who might have child support or custody battles are on their best behavior for awhile. It's better for everybody involved.   Being drunk beyond drunk with some weed and a gun and hanging with a buddy who is a felon and beyond drunk too at what, 2am,  is not being smart.   It's asking to be screwed. It's asking to be embarrassed.  And it's asking some judge to look at you and say, You are a moron.    And this is just normal regular everyday citizens.      Multiple that by a hundred when you become some millionaire sports guy and multiple it again because he's a NY Jet.  

You can say all of that is just him being dumb.  The problem is he seems to be doing dumb things over and over again.   At some point it's not just being dumb, it's an irresponsible person who might always have that character flaw.  Which is never good.  

And mentors.. Like I said, who listens.   If they had a guy like Ray Lewis, maybe.  He has a track record.  He's a star. He's brash.  And people seem to look up to him and love him.  Maybe a Jerry Rice type just because of who he is.  The Jets don't really have anybody where this kid will say, yeah i get it and I'll understand.   They have a head coach who is obnoxious and has weird tattoos and love for his failure of a QB.  They have a WR who has his own issues.   They have a QB who seems more interested in being on GQ than being a good QB. If he even could be a good QB.    They have an owner who is more interested in politics.  They have a new GM who likes to stay out of the limelight and who knows if he really cares to talk to any of his players.   He barely spoke to Revis and Revis was the Jets star.    Who else is really there that will help this kid?  Cromartie?   Maybe because they share the child support and many kids issue.  But Cromartie doesn't come off as soome Ray Lewis in your face preacher type.   And this kid seems to need that more than anything.    Otherwise he'll eventually actually do something even more stupid than what he just did.

Goodson and Cro should room together and double date.

Honestly with Cromartie's child support issues and now Goodson's,  the Jets could cut both of them and save a hell of a lot of money.  Didn't they help Cromartie out with back child support at one point?

Cromartie's worked out nicely for us, so why do we all suddenly care about how many baby mamas the players have?

Unpaid rent? Non-criminal and boring.

I like to see football players play football.  If the guy is really, really bad then that's one thing.

This stuff I don't care about.

25 years old and 6 kids from 3 different women,.I understand that none of us including me care on Sundays but jeez just think about that in real world context for a second

Honestly with Cromartie's child support issues and now Goodson's,  the Jets could cut both of them and save a hell of a lot of money.  Didn't they help Cromartie out with back child support at one point?

Here's an idea, blend child support payments into the cap equation.   Peedro, you almost had a coherent thought. 

What team does this "unnamed scout" work for? I'd like to know. Goodson sounds like a jerk, sure, but there's at least 1 guy just as bad if not worse on every single team in the NFL. The anti-Jets agenda is so out in the open now, it's amazing.

And mentors.. Like I said, who listens.   If they had a guy like Ray Lewis, maybe.  He has a track record.  He's a star. He's brash.  And people seem to look up to him and love him.

Please tell me this is a joke.  If he had a mentor like Ray Lewis, this gun charge would be a murder charge

What team does this "unnamed scout" work for? I'd like to know. Goodson sounds like a jerk, sure, but there's at least 1 guy just as bad if not worse on every single team in the NFL. The anti-Jets agenda is so out in the open now, it's amazing.

Probably the Giants...I've always felt that these anonymous quotes from other organizations were always either the Giants or a division rival.  Just another way to take a jab at the Jets and not put your name on it.  It wouldn't surprise me.

Can not say he is just dumb- sorry guy dies not pay bills that he owes-how would you like if people owe you money and do not pay up- I do not think you would make a joke out of it

Archived