Bye Bye Manish

Maxman

Jason McIntyre
@TheBigLead

48m

Jets fans - same NYDN peeps who told me Hoops Weiss was laid off are saying @MMehtaNYDN is moving off NY Jets beat. New role will be [1of2]

Jason McIntyre
@TheBigLead

46m

'NFL Insider' (w focus on big-picture Jets stuff) probably similar to Bedard's old role @ Globe. Finally, a good NFL columnist there [2of2]

Jason McIntyre from Big Lead Sports is reporting that Manish Mehta will no longer be the NY Jets beat reporter for the Daily News.

Manish was known for quoting anonymous sources in many of his stories.  These unnamed sources were critical of Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez.  Manish is also known for blocking many Jets fans on Twitter that disagreed with his opinions. Here is a thread with fan thoughts on

Seth Walder is in the bullpen warming up and is ready for a bigger role at the Daily News.

Tough act to follow Manish and Rich, love to see the interview process to be the Jets beat writer.

Perhaps Mike Francesca could do it as a fill in. He seems as unbiased, and level headed as the two previous incumbents of the position. ;-)

I'm just glad we'll have a new beat writer who's gonna post positive Jets articles every day and ignore any source--excuse me: "source"--that won't go on the record, because if there's one thing I know that Jets fans like, it's a reporter that's positive and adheres to the strictest journalistic codes. BTW, Watergate probably wasn't real because "Deep Throat" wasn't a real name.

Reality

Mehta followed Cimini @ the DNNY.  Cimini probably makes 3x what these bozo's make in he print media. 

Follow the master.  Slam the Jets

They all want to become "NFL" guys because they think it opens more doors.  That said, how much money can a bear reporter make these days?  Awesome job, no doubt.  But they all seem to be hiring 20 something's to do these jobs now.  Can't pay that much imo.

They all want to become "NFL" guys because they think it opens more doors.  That said, how much money can a bear reporter make these days?  Awesome job, no doubt.  But they all seem to be hiring 20 something's to do these jobs now.  Can't pay that much imo.

Not really since despising the team is one of the requirements. Do any of our beat reporters actually seem happy?

They all want to become "NFL" guys because they think it opens more doors. That said, how much money can a bear reporter make these days? Awesome job, no doubt. But they all seem to be hiring 20 something's to do these jobs now. Can't pay that much imo.

The NFL guys don't have to troll out to every stupid OTA practice, and get to pick and choose their spots. Gary Myers can produce a month's worth of columns by pirating other people's camp reports and making a few phone calls, all the while making $250k plus.

The NFL guys don't have to troll out to every stupid OTA practice, and get to pick and choose their spots. Gary Myers can produce a month's worth of columns by pirating other people's camp reports and making a few phone calls, all the while making $250k plus.

Do you think that Myers makes that much? 

How many doors does it open if Cimini has been doing this since Joe Walton was picking his nose? Suspect it's not the worst job in the world if you want to be a sports reporter. But if you don't make the jump like Jay Glazer or Peter King(King Hack?) or Mark Bowden(who began a genuinely great career as an author as a beat guy for the Eagles), seems like "Groundhog Day". Still there's not much heavy lifting, the game stories are relatively easy the rest is chronicling details coherently.

I would be really surprised with that. What do you think the beat guys get? Let's say someone knew to the job, working to replace say, Manish.

I'm kidding about Myers. IIRC, Cimini was in the six figures when he was at the Daily News. Because these papers are in dire straights, they're all hiring 28 year olds to do the legwork and, I'm sure, paying them chicken feed. Myers, though, I'd guess still gets $150+ because he's a national figure. ESPN's pay scale is supposedly absurd. Skip Bayless makes a million dollars there.

As long as Manish still has ANY job that allows him to write about the Jets I'll never be happy.  The guy is a piece of garbage.  At least Cimini takes criticism like a man (mostly) but some of the DM's I got from Manish on Twitter after I criticized him and before he blocked me shows me he has no spine and absolutely no balls whatsoever. 

Jets beat writer application minimum qualifications:

• Must hate the Jets
  • Must not have any real sources and quote them constantly
  • Must preserve the circus perception at all cost
  • Must not watch football
  • Must have a strong dislike for colleagues and constantly talk sh*t about them
  • Must demonstrate ability to send private messages on Twitter properly

Tell us about yourself:

How much do you hate the Jets? And why?

etc. etc...

As long as Manish still has ANY job that allows him to write about the Jets I'll never be happy.  The guy is a piece of garbage.  At least Cimini takes criticism like a man (mostly) but some of the DM's I got from Manish on Twitter after I criticized him and before he blocked me shows me he has no spine and absolutely no balls whatsoever. 

If you still have the DMs please take a screen shot and post it everywhere that allows you to do so.

They all want to become "NFL" guys because they think it opens more doors. That said, how much money can a bear reporter make these days? Awesome job, no doubt. But they all seem to be hiring 20 something's to do these jobs now. Can't pay that much imo.

Archived