Rangers Tortorella out as coach

faba

Good move, the offense was painful for me to watch and I'm an Islanders fan. Lundqvist's interview the other day made it sound like he was on his way out the door, I don't blame him he had to carry that team. The #1 priority is getting him extended long term

Doug Weight. The Isles had the same talent before he was Capuano's assistant and did nothing. He shows up and they get in the playoffs and give the Pens a fight,. it's a no brainer.

Francesa doesn't care about hockey, but FAN recognized this was the story of the day in NYC. FAN and Fatcesa stole ESPN's lunch. They broke the story and had Dave Maloney, ESPN's own under contract Rangers color radio guy, on promptly at 1PM to talk about it . Screaming A. Smith wouldn't break format to talk with any hockey guy(though Don Lagreca was a phone call away at worst) so he could meander on with Skip Ball-less and TIm Legler about the NBA pointlessly for the 5000th tine. An embarrassment.

**** you, leave Doug Weight alone. He's ours now. should be the

Weight should be the A1 candidate for any job. Messier has never coached as much as his kid's youth team. Want to groom him to be the GM,  fine. But coach is a different story. 

You can have Jack Capuano

Seems someone may be waking up to this-

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/blueshirts_weighing_weight_gMLpJWt80sU3QlN6b2GNBI

If the Rangers contemplate replacing John Tortorella behind the bench with an individual lacking head-coaching experience, Doug Weight could become a candidate.

A potential roadblock to even an interview is that Weight is under contract to the Islanders, where he has served the last two seasons as an assistant coach and senior advisor to the general manager.

When Garth Snow was asked if he would grant the Blueshirts permission to talk to Weight if they so request, the Islanders’ GM responded via text, “Hypotheticals are a waste of time.”

Weight, a positive influence in the development of the Islanders’ young talent and an outstanding power-play mind, played the first two years of his 19-season NHL career with the Rangers before being sent to the Oilers for Esa Tikkanen at the 1993 trade deadline.

Weight played nine years in Edmonton, with Glen Sather serving as GM for the first eight of those seasons.

* While former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and former Canucks coach Alain Vigneault go through the process of interviewing for openings that exist in Dallas (for both men) and Vancouver (for Ruff), Mike Eaves could emerge as an under-the-radar candidate.

Eaves has been behind the bench at Wisconsin for the last 11 seasons, where he coached current Blueshirts Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh.

Prior to coaching the Badgers, Eaves had three-year terms as an assistant for both the Penguins and Flyers.

larry.brooks@nypost.com

It's kill me if he goes. I watch most of the games and you could see what a difference his presence made behind the bench. I would definitely be opposed to us blocking his chances at a head coaching gig based off being under contract though if you guys do decided to bring him in for a look.

• 1 month later...

Archived