JoeC36 and Paul Sorvino

JoeC36

Not too many of you know, but I am a  reporter for a newspaper in Sussex County NJ. I recently got to interview Paul Sorvino aka Paulie Sicero from Goodfellas. It was one of the highlights of my life as Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies. 

So I wanted to share the article with all of you. 

By JOE CARLSON

jcarlson@njherald.com

FRANKFORD — "Christmas in Beverly Hills," a film that will be directed by and star critically acclaimed actor Paul Sorvino, began its path from script to screen on Tuesday in Frankford.

"My role is the wealthy Beverly Hills guys with the beautiful wife and girlfriend. Both of whom he is cheating on," Sorvino said.

The script for the film was written by Mara Virabov almost five years ago and when she approached Sorvino about starring in it, he said that he would also like to direct, to which Virabov instantly agreed.

"I said that I would be honored for him to direct. He is such an amazing talent," she said.

Filming took place in the house of the Restighinis in Frankford, with Dale Restighini serving as one of the film's producers.

"Mara asked me if I would help her out since she wanted to film the Kickstarter campaign on the East Coast," Restighini said.

Kickstarter, started in 2009, is a for-profit company aimed at helping fund projects in art, music, entertainment and sciences through community based donations.

Based on how much money they contribute, donors to the movie can qualify for rewards such as copies of the script, aprons with the movie's logo and scented candles, to name a few.

"(Virabov) wanted to film in Staten Island, but with the small budget since it is a Kickstarter film, for me to make some calls and get a crew to trek out to Staten Island was craziness," Restighini said. "Instead, I said I would open my home and let them film in my kitchen."

The scenes that were filmed on Tuesday will serve as a five-minute promotional video on the community fundraising site.

Because of the work that she had put into the script, Virabov wanted to avoid studio funding.

"We didn't want to take it to a studio because we felt it was a personal, smaller film. We wanted to keep the funny in the film," Virabov said.

After several attempts at obtaining funds through independent financiers fell through, Virabov said she turned to Kickstarter following the recent success of the campaign for a "Veronica Mars" movie, a 2000s television program that has a cult following, and reached its $2 million goal within 10 hours of the beginning of its campaign.

"I think it is a new way to finance movies and it is a good way. It's a novel way to fund movies. A lot of people want to be involved in movies," Sorvino said. "It's a really fun thing. They can buy things to help market the movie."

Virabov said the goal is to raise $2 million for the production of the film.

"Everything takes place in one house, so it will be very easy to do this with the funds we raise because we don't have a lot of locations or actors. There are only eight characters in the entire film," Virabov said. "Dale (Restighini) and I know how to work with a small budget and get things done."

Filming will start in October and take place in Beverly Hills.

After the longer than normal seven-hour work day had been completed, Sorvino was able to sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee and reflect on the work that had been done.

"This is particularly hard because it is a commercial. It's not just acting, it is also selling. But because of the quality of the script, the intelligent way it is presented, we made something that looks like a little movie," Sorvino said. "Not an infomercial."

He added that he hopes people donate because today so many movies are too vulgar, but this one is a movie that everyone in the family can enjoy.

Virabov agreed: "If everyone joins in and supports us we can only promise one thing, a very funny movie that will light up Christmas spirits and bring families closer together every holiday season."

"Christmas in Beverly Hills" launches its Kickstarter campaign on June 6.

http://www.njherald....wn-for-new-film

Archived