Eric Mangini joining 49er's staff

faba

ESPN.com news services

ESPN NFL analyst Eric Mangini is joining the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive consultant.

Mangini

In his role with the defending NFC champions, Mangini will work to find weaknesses in opposing defenses.

The role is a bit of a shift for Mangini, who always has been known as a defensive coach from his time working under Bill Belichick in New England.  He also has experience on the offensive side of the ball in his coaching career.

Mangini has ties to 49ers general manager Trent Baalke, who was a personnel scout for the New York Jets in 1998-99 while Mangini was a defensive assistant. Mangini also has previously worked with current 49ers special teams coach Brad Seely.

Mangini, who started his work for ESPN as a guest analyst during the 2010 playoffs, previously has served as a head coach with the Jets and Cleveland Browns.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mangini starts the season 8-3 until his one-year rental QB blows out his arm:

Jets fans-- "Fire him! He sucks!"

Rex Ryan goes 6-10, getting torched against every decent team, playing a quarterback that the entire earth knew was awful:

Jets fans-- "Rex is awesome!!!"

Rex Ryan goes 6-10, getting torched against every decent team, playing a quarterback that the entire earth knew was awful:

I hate them both if that helps.

Tom Shane: Anyone and everything associated with the Jets sucks unless it's the Tuna and/or supports my current bashing agenda.

You do realize that Manidiot was Tanny's first hire, so he must of sucked? The guy couldn't coach, period -  but Jets fans are to be blamed for wanting him out. Go figure.

Tom Shane: Anyone and everything associated with the Jets sucks unless it's the Tuna and/or supports my current bashing agenda.

You do realize that Manidiot was Tanny's first hire, so he must of sucked? The guy couldn't coach, period - but Jets fans are to be blamed for wanting him out. Go figure.

Why is Rex any better than Mangini?

I want him fired but Rex is far superior as far as X's and O's. He just has no understanding of a team as a whole and far too much influence on the front office side of things. Pairing him with a puppet like Tanny is what was beyond ridiculous.

What do you think Mangini's record've been if he was still the Jets coach in Sanchez' rookie year? Be honest.

I think there was zero chance Mangini would have drafted Sanchez. Hell, Mangini is the one who traded us the Sanchez pick in exchange for a bunch of role players.

I want him fired but Rex is far superior as far as X's and O's. He just has no understanding of a team as a whole and far to much influence on the front office side of things. Pairing him with a puppet like Tanny is what was beyond ridiculous.

Xs and Os, Mangini was very smart. It was in communicating to players that he struggled.

Xs and Os, Mangini was very smart. It was in communicating to players that he struggles.

Mangini was too inflexible scheme wise, not being able to bench Favre is what killed him though. Rex has better pieces thanks to Mangini but also does a better job with scheming towards his players instead of plugging players into a scheme

I think there was zero chance Mangini would have drafted Sanchez. Hell, Mangini is the one who traded us the Sanchez pick in exchange for a bunch of role players.

The Jets needed a QB, and Sanchez got the approval of Mangini's GM and OC. Sanchez was meant to be a Jet.

With that roster, what's Mangini's record?

Xs and Os, Mangini was very smart. It was in communicating to players that he struggled.

No he wasn't. He's a smart guy, but he's not a creative thinker. He's never been a successful coach in this league, and even now he's being hired to basically scout the other team. This is the best job he could get in football.

Rex, on the other hand, has had nothing but success as a defensive coach, and will go on at the level of DC (at least) for as long as he wants to coach in the NFL. You know this. Troll.

Mangini was too inflexible scheme wise, not being able to bench Favre is what killed him though. Rex has better pieces thanks to Mangini but does a better job with scheming towards his players instead of plugging players into a scheme

Not benching Favre killed Mangini, but not benching Sanchez was worse. As far as these adjustments, considering the number of times Rex was blown out last year, it doesn't really seem like he has a Plan B either.

Not benching Favre killed Mangini, but not benching Sanchez was worse. As far as these adjustments, considering the number of times Rex was blown out last year, it doesn't really seem like he has a Plan B either.

Rex is a nightmare as a head coach so you're getting no argument from me on the Sanchez thing. Tanny was maybe the worst GM possible for him

The Jets needed a QB, and Sanchez got the approval of Mangini's GM and OC. Sanchez was meant to be a Jet.

Mangini spent his coaching life talking up character, but he was going to trade up for a junior party-boy quarterback with 16 college starts and a rape charge whose own college coach said wasn't ready? Seems logical

No he wasn't. He's a smart guy, but he's not a creative thinker.

And you determined this by seeing Mangini's score on the Gardner Test of Multiple Intelligences? How creative was Rex when he was losing to the Pats by 30? Or is Rex just "creative" when he's scheming against Ryan Lindley?

He's never been a successful coach in this league, and even now he's being hired to basically scout the other team. This is the best job he could get in football.

Rex, on the other hand, has had nothing but success as a defensive coach, and will go on at the level of DC (at least) for as long as he wants to coach in the NFL.

Mangini had another head coaching job within minutes of being fired from the Jets. Rex won't unless some other GM has a death wish. Rex will be coming off three straight awful seasons. Is somebody sweeping in to give him a head job?

You know this. Troll.

I know that Rex will get a job as a defensive coordinator and that makes me a...troll?

Rex is 100x better of a D coach and as others said knows Xs and O's much, much better. Rex also gets a lot more out of his players that Mangini ever did. Look at Mangini's record in Cleveland for further proof. Thus far, Rex had had only one losing season and more playoff victories than Manidiot.

Tell me Tom, were you pleading for the Jets to keep Manny at the time?

Rex is a nightmare as a head coach so you're getting no argument from me on the Sanchez thing. Tanny was maybe the worst GM possible for him

He was the logical in-house hire in Baltimore and Ozzie Newsome passed on him for a guy who was a special teams coach for the Eagles. Go fig.

Your sooo schmart.

Y

Rex is 100x better of a D coach and as others said knows Xs and O's much, much better. Rex also gets a lot more out of his players that Mangini ever did. Look at Mangini's record in Cleveland for further proof. Thus far, Rex had had only one losing season and more playoff victories than Manidiot.

Tell me Tom, were you pleading for the Jets to keep Manny at the time?

I thought Mangini got a raw deal, yes. He was fired because Woody wanted a star coach going into the rat trap known as MetLife.

The Browns have had five head coaches in the last ten years. Mangini's GM had a nervous breakdown and quit less than a year into his regime. There were problems there much bigger than Eric Mangini.

Boy, this could be a thread of its own.

Mangini loses 4 of his last 5: Mangini's fault

Rex loses 13 of his last 19: Tannenbaum's fault

I thought Mangini got a raw deal, yes. He was fired because Woody wanted a star coach going into the rat trap known as MetLife.

The Browns have had five head coaches in the last ten years. Mangini's GM had a nervous breakdown and quit less than a year into his regime. There were problems there much bigger than Eric Mangini.

and Manny was one of the biggest problems.

Star coach? I thought u said Rex was so bad that Balt wouldn't even hire him and the Jets was his only suitor? hardly a star coach

as far as getting a HC gig right away, what does that really mean? Kotite go hired right off the bat after the Eagles. do u really want to go down that path?

and Manny was one of the biggest problems.

Star coach? I thought u said Rex was so bad that Balt wouldn't even hire him and the Jets was his only suitor? hardly a star coach

as far as getting a HC gig right away, what does that really mean? Kotite go hired right off the bat after the Eagles. do u really want to go down that path?

Rex owned the back pages for two years. Being a star coach doesn't mean you're a good coach. Jerry Glanville was a star coach. Bobby Valentine was a star coach.

You guys are free to dislike Rex all you like, but pretending the 49ers new coaching intern is a better coach than Rex is a joke. Mangini is Bill Belichick's incompetent former buddy. That's it. It's like saying John Geiger is a good CB because he hangs with Revis.

Rex owned the back pages for two years. Being a star coach doesn't mean you're a good coach. Jerry Glanville was a star coach. Bobby Valentine was a star coach.

u said woody fired Manny because he wanted to hire a star coach. Rex was not a star coach at the time even by your own words. that's the point I was making.

Totally siding with Tom on this.  Rex destroyed an excellent roster built by Mangini.  Tannenbaum is at fault because he's useless.  The biggest aquisitions Tanny made by himself went directly against the coaches ' wishes.  Favre and Tebow.  Tanny also screwed the cap and crafted stupid contracts.  So, yeah he sucked.  But Favre killed Mangini.  As for X's and O's, Mangini gets the edge because he knows both offense and defense, and built a balanced team while coaching and controlling all aspects of the team.  Rex is all defense all the time and knows crap about O or ST.  That's not head coach material.  Rex lost the locker room and turned the Jets into a punchline.  Mangini is still respected around the league.  As for his stint with the Browns?  Bellicheck must be a lousy HC too.  Because he, like the coaches of the last two decades, wasn't successful with that garbage franchise.  I was dissapointed that Mangini got the ax so soon.  He had the team headed in the right direction, towards respectability, and had some success prior to the Favre injury.  He just got scapegoated by the snake oil salesman.  Credit Rex for surviving Tannenbaums' sliminess, though.

You guys are free to dislike Rex all you like, but pretending the 49ers new coaching intern is a better coach than Rex is a joke. Mangini is Bill Belichick's incompetent former buddy. That's it. It's like saying John Geiger is a good CB because he hangs with Revis.

hope u r not referring to me as in u guys as

I think mangini is a joke and agree with your post

No one said he was better, per se. Just that Mangini wasn't worse. When Mangini left after four years, he left behind a decent core. If Rex got fired this year, he'd have left behind Mo Wilkerson, a couple of Mangini's guys, and a train wreck.

Archived