Pats Sign Tebow!

unbanmadmike1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the Pats were trashed for the Welker move, as it was considered that they gave up way too much for some second-rate nobody off of a crappy offense. The truth is that, with the exception of Moss, the Pats have had far more success with their under-the-radar type moves on less proven talent than they have on all of those supposed "big time" moves of guys of which they were supposed to turn around their careers. They certainly got it right with Moss, but he's been used as the sole reason to suck the Pats off for every signing of a big-name player that the rest of the league wanted nothing to do with since then, and yet they've never duplicated that success.

I doubt even the Pats are expecting all that much out of the signing of a backup QB who is immeasurably worse than their current future-HOF starter. Let's be honest, nobody would give a flying **** about this signing if it was a player with an identical resume not named Tim Tebow.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to--most observers scoffed at the Moss signing and roundly laughed at the Welker trade, but pimped the Haynesworth signing as a coup. You never know what's gonna work up in New England. It's a weird coach with a weird roster that we should all know to avoid saying anything definitive about.

I don't think anyone other than Bayless is screaming that it's a genius move. I think people are viewing this in the same vein as signing Woodhead, and Jets fans specifically are having a little fun positing a similar result with Tebow in a Murphy's Law hypothetical.

That said, McDaniels was an awful head coach, but he's a great OC who happened to draft Tebow. Belichick spends time every offseason with Urban Meyer. If anyone is going to squeeze anything out of a Tebow sub-package, it'll be those two. Add to that the fact that Brady is old and hasn't been the same athlete since his Bernard Pollard knee-crush. There will be opportunities for Tebow on the goal line, and in short yardage.

Why would anyone in their right mind take Brady off the field in short yardage isn't he like perfect in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations?

Why would anyone in their right mind take Brady off the field in short yardage isn't he like perfect in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations?

Because he's old and asking him to dive into the pile with his effeminate model body is asking for trouble.

You like to pretend that there are some enlightened, responsible, analytical, smart people working in sports journalism, then you open up your Twitter feed on a day that there's a Tebow story and you find out that 98% of them are failed and embittered jocks with Microsoft Word.

Can't really imagine a role for Tebow on the Pats aside from punt protector. Taking Brady off the field in any situation is ridiculous. Tebow is too slow to be converted into a RB or TE, all his best runs were scrambles in passing situations.

I won't be surprised if he fails to make the opening day roster.

You know it will be another knife in aJets fan when the Pats use him properly in wildcat and running situations while the Jets totally screwed it up.

This. But if you hit one of ours, we'll hit 2 of yours. Or something. PLAY LIKE A JET! YEAAAHHH!

Corey Dillon.

That's true and I was actually going to mention him, but then I realized that was like 10 years ago and we both know that was a whole different era of the Patriots.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Pats won't be nearly as retarded with Tebow as the Jets were, but in the end their QB is still Tom ******* Brady.  For as much as I hate Brady, I know you absolutely do not under any circumstances bench a QB that good for the sake of some gimmick plays.  It's the same reason why even when at it's peak, the only teams you saw getting into the whole wildcat nonsense were the ones with mediocre-at-best QB situations.  There's simply no substitute for great QB play.

I guess my point more than anything is I just don't see anything about this move that will be a big deal one way or another.  I'm sure McDaniels loves Tebow as a legit backup QB option and possibly even a candidate for future QB if Brady decides to hang it up within the next few years, but I would be surprised if the Pats do much with him beyond that, other than perhaps the occasional short yardage type play (and I'm not even sure of that).

Woodhead had 7 TDs running and receiving.

Tebow cannot match that?  He could easily.

Do you think the Pats are going to pull Brady off the field to put Tebow in at QB?  Or perhaps Ridley for him to play at RB?  Because I honestly don't see any way either of those situations makes the Pats offensive lineup any better.  Gimmick plays exist for the purpose of a sh*tty offense hoping to occasionally get lucky with a big play they could never get legitimately.  The Pats don't exactly fit the mold there.  If there's any area the Pats need to start trying to catch their opponents off guard, it's with their defense.

For all the trashing of Tebow around here, its hard to forget that he took Denver just as far as Manning did, further if you are counting playoff wins. If Tebow was willing to be a punt protector, I'm sure he will be willing to play FB, TE or whatever Belicheck wants him to do. But don't worry we no longer have an accountant for a GM. Everything will be great. lol.

Tebow will be a third stringer. I doubt he'll even be active. On what planet will be take snaps from Brady except to maybe save him on the 1 yard line? Even so, they still need a real QB in case Brady's lady parts fall out on the 50 yard line. Which is not Tebow.

Testaverde: NE the perfect place for Tebow

June, 10, 2013
Jun 10

8:42

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Recommend1

Vinny Testaverde said he had "goose bumps" Monday when he found out Tim Tebow was signing with the Patriots.

Testaverde, a part-time quarterback instructor at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., held clandestine workouts with Tebow in April in the Tampa area. At the time, Testaverde talked enthusiastically about improvements Tebow had made with his mechanics.

Naturally, he was thrilled when he learned his fellow former Heisman winner -- and fellow ex-Jets quarterback -- would get a chance to re-start his career in New England.

"If I had to pick one team for him, it would be New England," he told ESPNNewYork.com. "It's for all the obvious reasons. [bill] Belichick is a great coach. Being around Tom Brady and learning how to be a professional quarterback, a drop-back quarterback in a proven system, it'll be great for him. Josh McDaniels drafted him in Denver. Being around people that believe in him, that'll be huge."

Testaverde said he didn't want to sound anti-Jets; he just believes Tebow is in the perfect place.

"I'm not saying he's going to light the world on fire, but he'll have a chance to show the improvements and strides he's made," Testaverde said. "This is great news. I'm glad he's getting another shot to show people he has improved. I would've been disappointed if he didn't get a chance. Despite what a lot of people say, I think he can be a top quarterback in the league."

Testaverde spent a week with Tebow, fine-tuning some of his oft-criticized mechanics. Mostly, they cleaned up his footwork. That, Testaverde believes, was the root of his accuracy issues. They also worked on anticipation, ball placement and how to throw certain routes. His hope is that Tebow can get some playing time in the preseason to "work on his craft."

Testaverde has a unique perspective because he played in the New York and Boston (briefly) markets, and he also played for Belichick, whom he believes won't allow Tebow Mania to take over the team.

"I've been in that locker room; they leave distractions outside," he said. "I mean, there will always be a lot of media coverage because of Belichick and Brady, but I don't think Tebow's presence will add to it. I don't think it'll be a circus, if you will."

Ya know what's going to happen?

The Thursday night game is going to be a lot closer then expected.   Brady is going to get dinged a bit with the Jets leading 28-23.  1:52 left in the 4th 1/4  Tebow comes in. Joy in Jets land

Tebow leads the pats on a 92 yard drive. and runs the winning TD in with 0:00 on the clock

is it sad I knew exactly what this video was before I watched it?

No, it makes you awesome like me. You're also well versed in the Highlander which makes you a winner. I did a Sporcle quiz once of AMC's top 100 movies of all time. I got a zero because I spent the full 10 minutes thinking I had to be spelling The Highlander wrong.

Can't really imagine a role for Tebow on the Pats aside from punt protector. Taking Brady off the field in any situation is ridiculous. Tebow is too slow to be converted into a RB or TE, all his best runs were scrambles in passing situations.

I won't be surprised if he fails to make the opening day roster.

There's nothing wrong with being the punt protector, it's just goin to be one more weapon for the Pats.

Being cut is not likely in 2013, that's the anti-Tebow slipping out of you replacing your normally sound judgment. Belicheck isn't going to waste his time signing Tebow and then cutting him. He would only do that if Tebow showed up with a bad work ethic or has some type of Jackass side to him that no one had seen yet. The Patriots are not the Jets.

This is probably the best thing that could have happened to Tebow.

That's true and I was actually going to mention him, but then I realized that was like 10 years ago and we both know that was a whole different era of the Patriots.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Pats won't be nearly as retarded with Tebow as the Jets were, but in the end their QB is still Tom ******* Brady.  For as much as I hate Brady, I know you absolutely do not under any circumstances bench a QB that good for the sake of some gimmick plays.  It's the same reason why even when at it's peak, the only teams you saw getting into the whole wildcat nonsense were the ones with mediocre-at-best QB situations.  There's simply no substitute for great QB play.

I guess my point more than anything is I just don't see anything about this move that will be a big deal one way or another.  I'm sure McDaniels loves Tebow as a legit backup QB option and possibly even a candidate for future QB if Brady decides to hang it up within the next few years, but I would be surprised if the Pats do much with him beyond that, other than perhaps the occasional short yardage type play (and I'm not even sure of that).

I agree.  The Pats' QB of the future probably isn't even on the team yet imo.  Brady's still inked for a while and Mallett will be a bit on the old side by the time Brady retires.  I was hoping we would trade Mallett this offseason, but there's still time for that.  I don't see Tebow ever starting at QB for the Patriots, which is why I like this move.  The complete lack of anything resembling a QB controversy removes at least half of the "circus" imo.

Do you think the Pats are going to pull Brady off the field to put Tebow in at QB?  Or perhaps Ridley for him to play at RB?  Because I honestly don't see any way either of those situations makes the Pats offensive lineup any better.  Gimmick plays exist for the purpose of a sh*tty offense hoping to occasionally get lucky with a big play they could never get legitimately.  The Pats don't exactly fit the mold there.  If there's any area the Pats need to start trying to catch their opponents off guard, it's with their defense.

You cannot see him playing safety?  ;)

Seriously, they will not pull Brady because he does not come off the field in blowouts.

He can be another tool.  The Patriots have used direct snaps to Woodhead and Faulk before that.  Tebow would seem a natural fit for this.

Archived