Wide Receiver

New York Jets

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

15 153 0 10.2 20 38

Chrebet makes it official, says he's retiring

Associated Press

click this

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet said Thursday his career was over, one month after sustaining a season-ending concussion.

Chrebet spent 11 seasons with his hometown team after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, but was plagued with head injuries the last few seasons. Though he was undersized at 5-foot-10, he quickly became a clutch possession receiver, working his way up the team record charts.

He ends his career with 580 receptions, second to Don Maynard's 627 on the team list. Chrebet made his first appearance at the Jets' facility Thursday since he was hurt Nov. 6 against San Diego. His impromptu comments confirmed the expected.

"I'm not going to get back on the field. I think everybody's aware of that," Chrebet said. "But I'm just thankful and want to let the right people know I appreciate everything they've done for me."

On the play in which he got hurt, Chrebet was making a third-down catch for a first down, symbolic of the type of plays he made throughout his career. He stayed down on the field for several minutes, with a scary, glazed look in his eyes.

It was the latest in a series of problems for Chrebet. He had a post-traumatic migraine early in the 2003 season and missed the final eight games that season with postconcussion syndrome. He considered retiring, but instead came back last season. Chrebet played in all 16 games, but sustained a mild concussion in the regular-season finale against St. Louis.

"It's just a weird thing you don't want to accept," Chrebet said. "I've had a lot of time at home with my kids and that's been great. It's something I've always looked forward to. The rest is dealing with not having this in my life anymore."

Because of all he had to endure this season, teammates selected him as the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award.

Here is something I read on ESPN.com that caught my eye:

Of course, old friend Vinny Testaverde has a plan that would send them both out in style. Testaverde also will end his career when the season ends.

"I told him that if I get in the game, he's going to come out of the tunnel, I'm going to overthrow everybody and hit him in the end zone," Testaverde said. "He said he was afraid he was going to drop it, though."

Knowing Chrebet, he would hang on tight and never want to let go of the ball.

I can't think of a better tribute to end the career of two jet favorites than this. Vinny to Chrebet one last time. I will miss them both.

Here is something I read on ESPN.com that caught my eye:

I can't think of a better tribute to end the career of two jet favorites than this. Vinny to Chrebet one last time. I will miss them both.

At this point Vinny would be lucky just to hit the endzone.

Wayne Chrebet is one hell of a story.

In all my years watching football, I'm not sure if I ever saw a more clutch 3rd down receiver.

He had a phenominal career.

that was nice, tx... and also true!

he is amazing. i will be wearing my #80 jersey on monday night!!

thank you wayne for everything!!! =D>=D>

Archived