Jets | Kellen Winslow signed

FoxJet

Jets | Kellen Winslow signed 
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:19:27 -0700

The New York Jets have signed free-agent TE Kellen Winslow (Patriots) to a one-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

FANTASY TIP: It is not known what his role will be at this point, but he may be given the chance to compete for the starting tight end job. He could have some fantasy value as a No. 2 tight end if he wins the starting job because the team does not have a lot of weapons in the passing game.

Comment | Source: ProFootballTalk.com | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2WEFcD3gx

Last week it was announced that Kellen Winslow would attend the Jets minicamp on a tryout basis.  Many first-hand reports said that Winslow was impressive during the 3 day camp and today the Jets announced they have signed Winslow to a contract.

After practice last week, Kellen was asked how long he sees himself playing in the NFL.  He told the media:

I have years left. My last year was 2011, I caught 75 balls. I’ve been productive. It’s just the NFL – that’s how it goes sometimes. You get cut, you get traded and you can’t do anything about it. It’s out of my control.

Here is some additional information from our earlier report on Kellen Winslow Jr.

Winslow Jr., son of former San Diego Chargers TE Kellen Winslow Sr. who made the Pro-Bowl five times with the Chargers, led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in receptions in 2011 with 75 along with 763 yards receiving but a lingering knee issue along with a falling out with Buccaneers new head coach Greg Schiano resulted in Winslow being traded to the Seattle Seahawks in late May 2012.

His time with the Seahawks was short lived as the team released him before the start of the season.  Picked up by the New England Patriots on September 19
th
Winslow had one reception for 12 yards in week three before being released by on September 27
th
and has remained a free agent since then.

Tell us what you think about the move in our

Sometimes position by committee works.  Cumberland is good enough to replace Winslow for large parts of the game, thereby increasing Winslow's chances of lasting.  And we still have to see what the Aussie can do-he must have made the team for a reason.

My guess is that the Jets will not be pursuing other TE's too strongly.  If someone unknown in camp steps up, great.  But they won't be actively looking to get one.

Sometimes position by committee works.  Cumberland is good enough to replace Winslow for large parts of the game, thereby increasing Winslow's chances of lasting.  And we still have to see what the Aussie can do-he must have made the team for a reason.

My guess is that the Jets will not be pursuing other TE's too strongly.  If someone unknown in camp steps up, great.  But they won't be actively looking to get one.

That first sentence really makes a lot of sense. Pretty sure we had to do that with LT at the end of his career. If someone can take up some snaps maybe the guy could almost possibly maybe if everything falls right finish the season.

I really like this signing, sure he's had knee problems but look he's had pretty much a whole year off with it already healed. it wassn't like he needed the time to rehab and is coming back right after some major surgery. I think he will be healthy and the old winslow from cleveland. BUT like Pointman pointed out above, I really wish it was 2 years. because if/when he has a really good year he's going ot want to be paid, I'm sure he know if he put up great numbers this year it will be his last chance at a big pay day.

there wasn't many TE's out there this year but Kellen was the one I liked the most, really glad we got him! I don't know if I'm right here or not but he seems to be a leader as well. I'm excited!

Cumberland wouldn't even start for Don Bosco. He isn't "good enough".

Archived