•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason ~ ~ ~

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 kelly

kelly

is dancing w/ the devil ~

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Locationdunwoody, ga ! !

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Three Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason, who suffers from ALS. Two of the fired hosts expressed deep contrition in the wake of the story.

Gleason: My life is awesome

0ap1000000212801.jpg
Steve Gleason discussed if he has any regrets playing football in a guest column on SI.com.
More ...

The other host, Nick Cellini, doesn't seem to understand why he lost his job.

In comments to AccessAtlanta.com, Cellini said it was a "relief" to get fired.
While he issued the customary apology, Cellini also said the skit just
gave the station an excuse to cut salary and hire a cheaper morning
show.

"That station is a sinking ship," Cellini said.

It's not a surprise that Cellini was the one who played the role
of Gleason in the failed skit. His colleague, Chris Dimino, on the other
hand, showed obvious discomfort while on air during the segment.
Dimino, however, didn't step up enough to stop the skit as it happened.
He posted a Facebook message late Monday night that is worth reading in full.

"The sheer stupidity of trying to put this as a failed attempt at
humor is not lost on me," Dimino wrote. "The words 'Should have known
better' mean nothing to me. And shouldn't to you right now."

The evolution of the NFL:

Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

The rest of the clear-headed, heartfelt message reads like a

devastated family man who understands how a few wayward minutes can
change a life.

"I hope I get a chance to prove this is not who I want to be,"
Dimino wrote. "It was and is who 'I am' today, though. That much is not
lost on me. I have spent so long not trying to put other people in a bad
place because of me. Today I failed miserably."

> http://www.nfl.com/n...-a-sinking-ship

i ♥ u guys :P.. ...cheers ~ ~ :beer:

#2 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Members
  • 33,127 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

classless

Blackout, on 16 Oct 2014 - 10:28 PM, said: i HATE saying this but CJ2k is now CJ 0.5K at this point

#3 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I almost feel sorry for the guy who really wasn't in to doing the skit but went along.  He seems to be genuine in his apology.

Sometimes we all don't listen loud enough to that sense that tells us to take a stand.

#4 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

WOW

Shock Jocks or not, what in the world would make these guys think any one would think that was funny

#5 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

> http://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/

#6 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Steve Gleason sees ALS charity donations rise

Even the dumbest story can have a happy ending.

Just days after three Atlanta radio hosts were fired for mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason for suffering from ALS, Gleason's charity has seen a big boost in donations.

Gleason: My life is awesome

0ap1000000212801.jpg
Steve Gleason discussed if he has any regrets playing football in a guest column on SI.com.
More ...

In the 72 hours since Gleason wrote a guest column on SI.com and was the subject of the radio skit, donations to the charity have jumped an estimated 75 percent over the most recent six-month average, according to numbers provided to Around The League by Clare Durrett of Team Gleason.

The donations over that span
also are 20 percent greater than the rise in donations following
Gleason's media tour during the 2013 Super Bowl.
Team Gleason's mission is to provide help to individuals with
neuromuscular diseases or injuries by using leading-edge technology,
equipment and services.

"There are zero treatments for ALS," Gleason said in a statement
earlier this week. "If you take any action as a result of this event, I
prefer it to be action to end ALS. See what we are doing to change that
at TeamGleason.org."

The charity also aims to create a "global conversation" and raise
awareness toward ALS. That conversation was furthered this week. It's
great to see Gleason turning an unfortunate moment into such a positive.

> http://www.nfl.com/n...-donations-rise

#7 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Steak Shapiro...wasnt he an Imus guy?

#8 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Steak Shapiro...wasnt he an Imus guy?

weren't they all " imus guys "  ? ?

:frown:

#9 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said.  We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment.  Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity. 

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts.  Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#10 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,534 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Who wants freedom of speech and press anyway? Sometimes people can be too free, amirite?

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#11 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Who wants freedom of speech and press anyway? Sometimes people can be too free, amirite?

They're not being criminally prosecuted for what they said.  They got fired.  Big difference.  No one is stopping them from doing this exact sketch to their heart's content for another radio station if they really wanted to.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 23 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#12 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,541 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

They're not being criminally prosecuted for what they said.  They got fired.  Big difference.  No one is stopping them from doing this exact sketch to their heart's content for another radio station if they really wanted to.

Yep. It's always amazing to me how many people don't make the distinction between "being prosecuted and/or jailed by the state" and "being fired by your employer."

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said.  We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment.  Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity. 

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts.  Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

I agree with you that people shouldn't be so offended about a lot of things, but these guys are very public faces of a brand. It wasn't like they were making fun of somebody's haircut, or somebody's poor decision not to wear underwear, or vegans, they publicly embarrassed a guy with a condition he can't do anything about. Nobody likes it when disabled people get picked on, and if the bottom line is to make money, this kind of stuff is bad for your brand and bad for your business (especially since one of these knuckleheads don't even seem aware that what he did was insensitive and tasteless).

Edited by kay_gee, 23 June 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#13 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,534 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:41 AM

It's still horsesh*t. Censorship is stupid. It's f'n entertainment media. 

Edited by SenorGato, 24 June 2013 - 02:41 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#14 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

The Constitution says you can say what you want and they won't put you in jail for it.

It says nothing about how you can keep on saying it on someone else's dime.

Edited by kelticwizard, 24 June 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#15 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

lol no its not.  When what you say may cause a decrease in listeners, therefore $$$, you get fired for something like this.  Its a money-driven media.  No one is censoring these guys from doing whatever the heck they want......just for another station.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#16 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm not at all a PC person, but what these guys did was real low ball.

He's not censoring them.  Telling them what to say in the bar.  He's just not going to pay them to say it.

#17 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,589 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

lol no its not.  When what you say may cause a decrease in listeners, therefore $$$, you get fired for something like this.  Its a money-driven media.  No one is censoring these guys from doing whatever the heck they want......just for another station.

Problem is, if one person is offended....everyone else has to suffer. And someone is always offended.

#18 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said. We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment. Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity.

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts. Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

Meh, right argument on the wrong topic.

#19 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Lol. Wrong.

#20 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Problem is, if one person is offended....everyone else has to suffer. And someone is always offended.

That's up to the discretion of the company.  I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it.  One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet.  Hundreds, thousands or more might.  That's what this station was dealing with here.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#21 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,589 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

That's up to the discretion of the company. I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it. One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet. Hundreds, thousands or more might. That's what this station was dealing with here.

Agreed. Always about the bottom line. What always confuses me is why they hire these types of guys to begin with, when they already know they say crazy sh*t. ESPN hiring Limbaugh was basically the definition of this. Shapiro yucked it up on Imus for years. They do push the envelope comedy.

Edited by Matt39, 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#22 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Meh, right argument on the wrong topic.

obviously i disagree with you...

That's up to the discretion of the company.  I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it.  One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet.  Hundreds, thousands or more might.  That's what this station was dealing with here.

they didnt even have a chance to deal with any real blowback,   They made a rash decision based on media attention on one day.  They didnt even wait to see if there was any hit to their wallet.

And thats what every single media organization & many companies do these days.  instead of riding out the storm, cut ties immediately.  Bunch of crap.  I mean hell...  a week later and the only place discussing this still is JN.

photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#23 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

+1. Sad stupid premise for a skit, granted. But fired and forced into phony apologies, etc.? I'm getting so sick of apologies for the sake of sponsors. It all started with Howard Cosell saying, "look at that little monkey go!" Referring to a black running back. Huge S storm and outrage and dozens of apologies later it turns out "little monkey" was a term of endearment he used with his kids and grand kids.

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,534 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Some of you guys are scary in how willing you are to defend sh*t firings like this. Every single time you hear the same thing - the company has the right. No worries on how a media entertainment company using this right to censor...apparently a real thing we should respect...reverberates.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. Nobody really gives a sh*t what these guys said - its already long finished as a story - but we continue to give into the whims of whiny, sniveling little faggots who do not represent the majority but do know how to shed a phony tear.

Btw what they said did not violate any FCC rules.

#25 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,589 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. 

Luckily Max is my dude as some wanted me banned for a Mike Tyson's Punch Out reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users