•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason ~ ~ ~

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#26 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Seems to me that if you have to resort to making fun of Steve Gleason to get a laugh, you're neither smart nor funny enough to have a radio show anyway.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#27 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Some of you guys are scary in how willing you are to defend sh*t firings like this. Every single time you hear the same thing - the company has the right. No worries on how a media entertainment company using this right to censor...apparently a real thing we should respect...reverberates.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. Nobody really gives a sh*t what these guys said - its already long finished as a story - but we continue to give into the whims of whiny, sniveling little faggots who do not represent the majority but do know how to shed a phony tear.

Btw what they said did not violate any FCC rules.

Yeahhhhhhh, brooooooooooo. **** the maaaaaaaaan, brooooooooo.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#28 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Some of you guys are scary in how willing you are to defend sh*t firings like this. Every single time you hear the same thing - the company has the right. No worries on how a media entertainment company using this right to censor...apparently a real thing we should respect...reverberates.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. Nobody really gives a sh*t what these guys said - its already long finished as a story - but we continue to give into the whims of whiny, sniveling little faggots who do not represent the majority but do know how to shed a phony tear.

Years ago they wouldn't have been fired, but not because of (or not only because of) PC reasons.  It's because of the internet.  Every word is recorded and distributed to millions of people that it never would have reached.  Back long enough ago there wouldn't have been enough people to hear this (in particular since radio was local).  But now you've got angered/offended people who never heard of any of these 3. I'll bet most of them didn't listen to the "skit" anyway (like me).  

Same thing with Imus.  As offensive as his comments were to so many people, it's nothing most haven't heard before (or hear regularly/daily).  And most of those who were offended weren't likely to have been Imus listeners anyway.  What's offensive about Imus is that he is not funny and still is on the air (independent of anything "offensive" he's said over the years).  Also his ugly face offends me.

JetNation.com

#29 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,576 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Years ago they wouldn't have been fired, but not because of (or not only because of) PC reasons.  It's because of the internet.  Every word is recorded and distributed to millions of people that it never would have reached.  Back long enough ago there wouldn't have been enough people to hear this (in particular since radio was local).  But now you've got angered/offended people who never heard of any of these 3. I'll bet most of them didn't listen to the "skit" anyway (like me).  

Same thing with Imus.  As offensive as his comments were to so many people, it's nothing most haven't heard before (or hear regularly/daily).  And most of those who were offended weren't likely to have been Imus listeners anyway.  What's offensive about Imus is that he is not funny and still is on the air (independent of anything "offensive" he's said over the years).  Also his ugly face offends me.

Havent listened to Imus in years, but some of the youtube clips from the 90's pranking into Francesa and other WFAN mongos we're pretty hilarious. Imus was on every morning in the house growing up- some of it sucked and some of it I laughed at. Also, Imus birthed Mike Breen, who's probably the best play by play guy in the biz- and he was hysterical on the show.

Everyone has their own taste...I'd imagine 99% of us wouldnt find ALS jokes funny...but there are comedians out there who put nothing off limits either. As a listener or message board contributor....I cant imagine myself ever bitching or demanding someone getting fired/banned over words. Just block the person or change the channel.

Edited by Matt39, 24 June 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#30 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Here's a clip of the skit.  A New Orleans radio show got the skit on tape, and the New Orleans radio announcer is playing the tape for his audience.  Just listen:

http://stationcaster...12111&f=1536721

And people on this thread are complaining these guys are out on their ass a couple of hours after the show ended?  

Edited by kelticwizard, 24 June 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#31 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Havent listened to Imus in years, but some of the youtube clips from the 90's pranking into Francesa and other WFAN mongos we're pretty hilarious. Imus was on every morning in the house growing up- some of it sucked and some of it I laughed at. Also, Imus birthed Mike Breen, who's probably the best play by play guy in the biz- and he was hysterical on the show.

Everyone has their own taste...I'd imagine 99% of us wouldnt find ALS jokes funny...but there are comedians out there who put nothing off limits either. As a listener or message board contributor....I cant imagine myself ever bitching or demanding someone getting fired/banned over words. Just block the person or change the channel.

Comedians only represent themselves individually.  These guys represent a radio station (whether they believe so or not).  That is why they got fired.

JetNation.com

#32 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,576 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Comedians only represent themselves individually.  These guys represent a radio station (whether they believe so or not).  That is why they got fired.

I guess that's what Sirius is for...

#33 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Do me a favor, go tell your boss off and to go **** themselves.  Then be sure to cry about free speech to them as they fire your ass.

The bottom line is the company decided (for whatever their reason, it really doesn't matter) that they no longer wanted to retain these guys as their employees.  What possible reason could you use to justify the idea that a company should be forced to retain an employee they no longer want anything to do with?  Keep in mind, as much as I disagree with what they did, my initial thought was not that they absolutely had to be fired for it, but that doesn't change the fact that their employers have every right to make that decision as they see fit.  Legality and FCC rules doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.  I'd imagine 99% of the things people get fired for are perfectly legal.  You have the legal right to suck ass at your job, it still doesn't make it wrong for you to get fired for it.

Edited by Bleedin Green, 25 June 2013 - 10:37 AM.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

#34 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Do me a favor, go tell your boss off and to go **** themselves.  Then be sure to cry about free speech to them as they fire your ass.

That isn't what those guys did and stupid, reactionary firings like this is exactly why radio ate itself alive. Podcasts are laying waste to radio land because those faggots NEVER back their product despite knowing what they are getting into. 

The bottom line is that company is weak and it will be hilarious when they go out of business because they failed to do their jobs of putting on a quality, entertaining radio program. 

What possible reason could you use to justify the idea that a company should be forced to retain an employee they no longer want anything to do with? 

Again, not even remotely the situation. I bet those guys weren't even on the corporate radar for whatever sh*t company that is until their 5 minutes came up and the company chose to panic. Like I said, well within their rights but totally a sign that that company has a bunch of sh*t for brains and everyone wears their panties bunched.

By all relevant accounts I have heard those guys did not suck at their job. At least the company has the support of the people - the company is our friend. Owners are the friend of sports fans...The ******* mentality is really, really scary. 

Edited by SenorGato, 25 June 2013 - 11:00 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#35 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

...reactionary firings like this is exactly why radio ate itself alive....
....The bottom line is that company is weak....

Yeah, they should be cool and wait several days while umpteen groups representing ALS victims and their families call press conferences the national media covers, complete with inspirational stories about how ALS victims still manage to give meaning to their lives despite living with a degenerative disease.

Then after several days of nonstop jokes by Letterman, Leno and Fallon and being made a national joke generally, the station should decide to fire the guys then, thereby transmitting to the nation the idea that the station management is a collection of gut-free wusses who only do the right thing when the heat comes down.

Brilliant.

Edited by kelticwizard, 25 June 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#36 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

not funny no reason to be fired imo. just not funny...

#37 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, they should be cool and wait several days while umpteen groups representing ALS victims and their families call press conferences the national media covers, complete with inspirational stories about how ALS victims still manage to give meaning to their lives despite living with a degenerative disease.

Then after several days of nonstop jokes by Letterman, Leno and Fallon and being made a national joke generally, the station should decide to fire the guys then, thereby transmitting to the nation the idea that the station management is a collection of gut-free wusses who only do the right thing when the heat comes down.

Brilliant.

That's literally more press than any other radio show or radio station (or ALS) has had in a long time, and it does not take much to say "they violated no rules, learn to take a joke as a joke." Firing them in general is not OK. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#38 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Podcasts are destroying radio. LOLOLOLOLOLKOLKLOLOLOLKOKKLLKKKLIFFIFFVHFDCVGFFJJFSTHBKKLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLOOKOOLOLOL

#39 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

That's literally more press than any other radio show or radio station (or ALS) has had in a long time, and it does not take much to say "they violated no rules, learn to take a joke as a joke." Firing them in general is not OK. 

So what you're saying is the station should stick by it's radio comedy hosts' evisceration of a sportscaster for his ALS condition even though it would subject the station  to continued public disgust and make the station and it's management a national joke.  This is your idea of the right way to go.

I see you're a big believer in PT Barnum's philosophy:  "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

Unfortunately, that philosophy doesn't always work.  Take a look a t Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile Foundation, for instance.

#40 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

They were fired because the skit didn't represent the values of the company, and cheap classless humor costs the company advetising dollars, therefore they were a liability to the company and had to go. Nothing to do whatsoever with free speech. It is about a firm's right to profitability. If they want to go twist around on a public park and mock ALS they are welcome to do so.

By the way we just recently lost a good friend who, if not for ALS would be 52 years old. So if you could keep that in mind with your free speech/look at me strawman it would be appreciated, because this sh*t is very real with no cure and ruins families...unlike any message board position you ever take.

Edited by BleedGreen314, 26 June 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#41 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Please feel free to fill us all in on all of the company policies of the station they worked for, since you apparently are so familiar with them.  You do realize that this wasn't some random tasteless joke some schmuck made to his friends one night and then walked into work the next day and got fired for it, these guys were working; on the air, doing what they were paid to do, with thousands of the station's customers listening when they did this.  So, once again, if a company is displeased with the work they are paying you to do, they are no longer going to pay you to do it, that's simply how the working world goes, just as it should.

I'm really not sure what's so difficult to grasp about this concept.  Then again, this is coming from the same guy who thinks the customer is to blame when they insist on actually getting the change for their purchase which he didn't bring, so perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised.

TL;DR

#42 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,541 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Plus, not for nothing, they weren't just laughing at a group of sick people, they picked out a specific guy to publicly embarrass.

Bullying isn't cool.

#43 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Plus, not for nothing, they weren't just laughing at a group of sick people, they picked out a specific guy to publicly embarrass.

Bullying isn't cool.

Yeah, not to mention, the guy has a young son who is years if not months away from losing his father. There are not many sure bets in life other than the Jets not being in the Superbowl, but losing a battle to ALS is one of them.

#44 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Podcasts are destroying radio. LOLOLOLOLOLKOLKLOLOLOLKOKKLLKKKLIFFIFFVHFDCVGFFJJFSTHBKKLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLOOKOOLOLOL

Podcasts and MP3s, yes T0m. 

#45 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Bullying isn't cool.

Bullying is another thing that isn't illegal either, and this is only bullying now because we need to further label this thing ANYTHING other than what it was. It's sick. 

Edited by SenorGato, 26 June 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#46 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

So what you're saying is the station should stick by it's radio comedy hosts' evisceration of a sportscaster for his ALS condition even though it would subject the station  to continued public disgust and make the station and it's management a national joke.  This is your idea of the right way to go.

I see you're a big believer in PT Barnum's philosophy:  "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

Unfortunately, that philosophy doesn't always work.  Take a look a t Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile Foundation, for instance.

Evisceration? Is this a ******* joke? 

The public disgust would last until someone else said something else, IF even that long. The station would survive, and maybe if they handled the situation like the fully grown adults supposedly running the station are they reach a few people. 

Jerry Sandusky ****ed kids for 20 years dude. The **** is wrong with you people? This couldn't be any less like Sandusky. What a sick way of looking at this...I am speaking to adults, right? Adults who can tell the difference between entertainment/jokes and an actual attack, right? If not, can we get one on the line?

#47 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

#48 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Bullying is another thing that isn't illegal either, and this is only bullying now because we need to further label this thing ANYTHING other than what it was. It's sick. 

Which would be why they weren't arrested, they were fired.  There is absolutely zero correlation between legality of an action and a company's ability to fire you for it.

TL;DR

#49 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Seems to me that if you have to resort to making fun of Steve Gleason to get a laugh, you're neither smart nor funny enough to have a radio show anyway.

Yeah, the normal reaction to unfunny things isn't a firing. The public doesn't have to be offended for Steve Gleason, and Steve Gleason has no right to go through life without offense because he has ALS. The assumption that Gleason IS offended and something must be done to defend...whatever it is you guys think is being defended by firing these guys....is ****ed in the first place. 

#50 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, the normal reaction to unfunny things isn't a firing. The public doesn't have to be offended for Steve Gleason, and Steve Gleason has no right to go through life without offense because he has ALS. The assumption that Gleason IS offended and something must be done to defend...whatever it is you guys think is being defended by firing these guys....is ****ed in the first place. 

I'll let you in on a little secret, these guys were paid lots of money to be funny and ultimately entertain their customers (which in this case, would be the public).  So I hate to have to break this to you, but when you're failing at your job and pissing off your customers, firing is actually the normal reaction.  What they did is directly related to their jobs, that's not even up for debate; your refusal to acknowledge that doesn't magically make it not so.

TL;DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users