3 Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure both of you are very competent and secure in your jobs, but in defending these radio hosts you sound like every guy sitting in the bar who just f'd up and got canned.

Where do we draw the line?  Who's to say what's good and what isn't?  Hell, Kowalski did nearly the same thing last month but did the boss fire him?  Nooooooo......

No one knows, but a new line seemingly gets drawn every few months. Good for Kowalski and his boss, I bet he's happy to work with real adults after watching these DJs get burned at the stake by a bunch of half wits. 

No, I would like people who are offended by what entertainers say to shut the **** up and get over it. I would like those people who feel the need to grab arms over jokes to get a life and cut the phony, pretentious outcries that does way more damage to individual lives than anything these guys (or the many similar cases) have done to anyone. These guys' lives are ruined by one joke that violated NO rules that they know of or operate under every day. Meanwhile the vast majority has already forgotten and Steve Gleason got bought 5 minutes of publicity he can take advantage of.

Meh, I am hardly the first to say it and it's more true than not. Traditional radio is dying and it's because the public dictates that they want bland, nothing programming to match their similarly dull, nothing lives. Boy they do love that sports radio THO....there's a daily brainiac convention. 

Are you aware of the fantastic irony that in the midst of all of this you are, far and away, throwing the biggest fit over what has occurred over anyone else posting on this board?

Your diatribes crying about their firing are not only factually incorrect, but attempting to make a case of how supposedly awful it is for a person to be held accountable for their own actions.  The rest of us are mostly simply telling you why you're wrong and your argument doesn't make any sense, since the legality of an action has no correlation to a company's ability or desire to fire you for it (despite your main point attempting to claim otherwise).  So perhaps you're the one who needs to, to use your words, "get a life and cut the phony, pretentious outcries".

Are you aware of the fantastic irony that in the midst of all of this you are, far and away, throwing the biggest fit over what has occurred over anyone else posting on this board?

Your diatribes crying about their firing are not only factually incorrect, but attempting to make a case of how supposedly awful it is for a person to be held accountable for their own actions.  The rest of us are mostly simply telling you why you're wrong and your argument doesn't make any sense, since the legality of an action has no correlation to a company's ability or desire to fire you for it (despite your main point attempting to claim otherwise).  So perhaps you're the one who needs to, to use your words, "get a life and cut the phony, pretentious outcries".

Problem is, the company fired him over backlash that hadn't even happened yet. Let the audience dictate who's on the air and who isnt. Apparently the show was doing decently for Atlanta(not a sports town by any stretch). Like I said earlier, Chick Fil-A never lost any business.

No, I would like people who are offended by what entertainers say to shut the **** up and get over it. I would like those people who feel the need to grab arms over jokes to get a life and cut the phony, pretentious outcries that does way more damage to individual lives than anything these guys (or the many similar cases) have done to anyone. These guys' lives are ruined by one joke that violated NO rules that they know of or operate under every day. Meanwhile the vast majority has already forgotten and Steve Gleason got bought 5 minutes of publicity he can take advantage of.

Yeah, I'm sure Steve Gleason was lapping up the spotlight there.

Meh, I am hardly the first to say it and it's more true than not.

No it's not.

Traditional radio is dying and it's because the public dictates that they want bland, nothing programming to match their similarly dull, nothing lives. Boy they do love that sports radio THO....there's a daily brainiac convention.

Traditional radio has lost market share to satellite radio. Podcasts peaked in 2009 and have flatlined in popularity since. They're already as obsolete as smoke signals and telegraphs.

Problem is, the company fired him over backlash that hadn't even happened yet. Let the audience dictate who's on the air and who isnt. Apparently the show was doing decently for Atlanta(not a sports town by any stretch). Like I said earlier, Chick Fil-A never lost any business.

Perhaps, but it could also simply be that one of their superiors took issue with it themselves and that was the reason for their firing, regardless of any potential public backlash.  The bottom line is those who are writing the checks are the ones who get to decide who they write them to.  What's most interesting about all of this is that while Gato is rambling on about legal rights of individuals to say or do whatever they want without any repercussions (legal or otherwise), this entire argument is suggesting that apparently at the same time organizations should have no legals rights to decide who they do or do not decide to employ.

So which is it, are we supposed to live in a world that lets everyone do whatever the hell we want without repercussions, or should actions be allowed only when the government specifically tells us we're allowed to do them, on a case by case basis?  Unfortunately for Gato, despite what he seems to think should happen, I don't think we're ever going to see everyone in the world check to make sure what they want to do is ok with him.

Perhaps, but it could also simply be that one of their superiors took issue with it themselves and that was the reason for their firing, regardless of any potential public backlash.  The bottom line is those who are writing the checks are the ones who get to decide who they write them to.  What's most interesting about all of this is that while Gato is rambling on about legal rights of individuals to say or do whatever they want without any repercussions (legal or otherwise), this entire argument is suggesting that apparently at the same time organizations should have no legals rights to decide who they do or do not decide to employ.

So which is it, are we supposed to live in a world that lets everyone do whatever the hell we want without repercussions, or should actions be allowed only when the government specifically tells us we're allowed to do them, on a case by case basis?  Unfortunately for Gato, despite what he seems to think should happen, I don't think we're ever going to see everyone in the world check to make sure what they want to do is ok with him.

Hey, anyone can get fired for anything. I have no problem with that- that's the way the world works. If their manager woke up that morning and wanted to pull the plug he cant do whatever he wants.

As  what Gato- I think we trying to get at....this social media witch hunt tha's been created over the past few years is absurd....and the people that bitch about being so offended over nonsense like Chick FIl-A or whatever... are generally louder than the entire group that couldnt care less. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

That's because I am adult enough to know the difference between a joke and an insult. OTOH, some ******* random piece of human sh*t and garbage telling me I deserve ALS because I can ID a joke and survive any offense I should take from it? Rotfl, this is the kind of garbage, sh*t, phony crowd I'm talking about, and this is the kind of person that radio station chose to side with and cater to.  Some phony, sanctimonious, simple minded retard who can sit there preaching about higher morals while in the same breath  he says something as absolutely ******* stupid as that. 

Let me ask you something you little bag of worthless sh*t . If I were to contact Steve Gleason in an email explaining to him that there are retards like yourself given power to shove your supposed morals in my face while telling me that I am a miserable, piece of sh*t scumbag who deserves ALS - wtf do you think he says to that? Oh good, you totally deserve ALS for defending those guys? That is the problem here - you phony, sanctimonious pieces of garbage out there will sit there sh*tting your morals onto people telling them what they can and can't joke about on an entertainment platform - but in the end you're too stupid to actually hold up being as morally upstanding as you like to imagine you are. OTOH, you'll get away with your words and these guys, who were considered very good at their jobs by their peers, have their lives ruined.  

These DJs did not walk into Steve Gleason's home. These DJs did not involve his kid or kids. These DJs did not tell their customers that 9/11 is a hoax, and guess what dummy? You're not paid to talk. No one is paying to hear you talk. Not a siiiiiiiiingle one of your customers is looking for you to entertain them with your conspiracy theories or jokes. OTOH, radio DJs ARE paid to talk and ARE paid to entertain. If a joke falls by the wayside then so be it, that's about as far as it should go. There are rules set up and constantly changing that these guys already have to look out for, and they operated within those rules. No one wants or needs phony ******* assholes like yourself sh*tting your phony morals on people, wishing them ALS because you're too much of a ninny little girl to understand the difference between a bad joke and a truly venomous attack. 

We hear you bro. Go edit a Wikipedia entry on free speech.

fRpJ0H9.png

Hey, anyone can get fired for anything. I have no problem with that- that's the way the world works. If their manager woke up that morning and wanted to pull the plug he cant do whatever he wants.

As  what Gato- I think we trying to get at....this social media witch hunt tha's been created over the past few years is absurd....and the people that bitch about being so offended over nonsense like Chick FIl-A or whatever... are generally louder than the entire group that couldnt care less. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I don't necessarily disagree with that concept, but (perhaps unfortunately) that is also the way the world works these days.  I thought what these guys did was completely tasteless, but I wouldn't exactly be in an uproar if they hadn't been fired for it.  It's ultimately up to the company to make that decision and if they decide the actions are worthy of that person being fired, then it would seem that person's value to that company wasn't enough to overcome whatever they did, and that's all it really takes.

In the case of Gato's point, I just don't get what exactly is supposed to be so much more justified about throwing a fit over the actions of a company (in this case, someone being fired) than someone else throwing a fit over the actions of a person (what they said on the air).  Gato seems to think everyone else should act based on his personal opinions on matters, which is why everyone's arguing with him on this far more than you.

Ex-*******-actly. On top of it the people so offended over it are often Al Sharpton level phony and despicable - much closer to vultures than the shining lights they imagine themselves to be. 

Yeah, I'm sure Steve Gleason was lapping up the spotlight there.

No it's not.

Traditional radio has lost market share to satellite radio. Podcasts peaked in 2009 and have flatlined in popularity since. They're already as obsolete as smoke signals and telegraphs.

Article for SI written within days...Not my fault the spotlight wasn't that bright...Goes to show how much those bags of sh*ts actually care.

Regular radio is dead, and much of the fall can be attributed to phony sanctimony like this. But hey, the world still gets Scott and Todd!  

Ex-*******-actly. On top of it the people so offended over it are often Al Sharpton level phony and despicable - much closer to vultures than the shining lights they imagine themselves to be. 

Not caring isnt nearly as profitable as being offended.

Fine, I would like they act like adults. A fully grown, mature human adult should be able to understand the difference between an attempt at humor and an attack. This is basic. 

So explain this difference.

The player, Steve Gleason, was clinging to his last months of life, so far along with his progressive disease that he requires an electronic device which converts his eye blinking into synthesized speech.    In the skit, the host who played Steve Gleason was heard breathing laboriously, and coming out with such "jokes" as:

"Steve Gleason":  Knock knock

Host:  We don't do knock knock jokes on Mondays.  We do them on Thursdays.

"Steve Gleason":  I might not still be here on Thursday.

Or this other knee-slapper:

"Steve Gleason":  Knock Knock

Host:  Who's there?

"Steve Gleason":  Smother

Host:  Smother who?

"Steve Gleason":  Smother me.  Do me a favor.

Making fun about the impending death of a 34 year old former athlete who is struggling with all he's got to cling to life.  Please tell me the difference between this skit and an attack.

Here's the skit.  http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=2911&c=12111&f=1536721

BTW: BleedinGreen's boss should be notified that he jokes about people getting ALS in his private life while at the same time preaching that ALS jokes are off limits. Society lacks enough people like that.

It's like totally free speech brahhhhh!!!!

God bless America

So explain this difference.

Yeah, still very clearly a joke. That's like the 4th time someone's posted the skit in this thread alone. In a world where adults are adults the first time it made the air would have been the last time.

It's like totally free speech brahhhhh!!!!

I don't see a free speech issue here. You said something and if your employer finds and disapproves he should be able to fire you. That's how life and America works now. Land of the free, baby. 

^^^ still can't distinguish between "jailed by the government for your speech" and "fired by your employer for your speech."

It is cliche but he is just a simple hypocrite. Thinks it's funny to knock Steve Gleason but doesn't think it's funny when the joke is on him.

Yeah, still very clearly a joke. That's like the 4th time someone's posted the skit in this thread alone. In a world where adults are adults the first time it made the air would have been the last time.

I don't see a free speech issue here. You said something and if your employer finds and disapproves he should be able to fire you. That's how life and America works now. Land of the free, baby.

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and let people wonder if you are a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.

Yeah, still very clearly a joke.

Attacks are frequently made through jokes.  When your joke holds someone up to ridicule, you are attacking them. 

As an example, suppose a new man on the job has just recently been released from jail.  If one of the guys says to him in front of the other workers:  "Lunchtime is at noon at the cafeteria.  Oh, you have to pay at this cafeteria, unlike the place you just came from", he is attacking the new worker through a joke.

Here, Steve Gleason's desperate fight to live long enough for a miracle to occur is what is being ridiculed.  Clearly, he is being attacked. 

When the joke is as vicious as these were, you can't just shrug them off as just a little humor and move on.  And the station didn't.

Attacks are frequently made through jokes.  When your joke holds someone up to ridicule, you are attacking them. 

That's not how jokes work. 

As an example, suppose a new man on the job has just recently been released from jail.  If one of the guys says to him in front of the other workers:  "Lunchtime is at noon at the cafeteria.  Oh, you have to pay at this cafeteria, unlike the place you just came from", he is attacking the new worker through a joke.

Radio DJs work entertainment and media and abide by FCC rules, again not broken by these DJs. This is a joke, almost totally out context and written on paper to be seen as a negative, at some random office. The only similarity here is that someone might be unfairly fired because we passively allow our language to be policed to make room for over sensitivity and entitlement. 

When the joke is as vicious as these were, you can't just shrug them off as just a little humor and move on.  And the station didn't.

You absolutely can, and the station chose a long term rash decision to band-aid temporary bullsh*t. Everyone supposedly so outraged over this situation will be moving on to the next thing that offends them within weeks or months. 

^^^ still can't distinguish between "jailed by the government for your speech" and "fired by your employer for your speech."

^^ Still refuses to acknowledge that radio has a set of written rules that were not broken. Unwritten rules are not laws, and they had every single right to make that joke without punishment. There was no threat to Gleason made, no life was endangered, no one was scratched, and life should have just moved on in a rational, sane adult world that lived by the rules they wrote rather than feeding every phony, sanctimonious, emotional whim. 

Archived