Jets are a Joke - Locker Room Divisions Public Again

IPack

The link you provided doesn't actually take you to an article, so I assume you're talking about Mangold's comments.  For starters, there's absolutely nothing about locker room division reported anywhere.  Secondly, the entire string of nonsense trying to blow this out of proportion is based all around one quote from Mangold, which is:

“I haven’t walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there — and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance.”

I can't imagine anyone could possibly have a problem with the beginning of the quote, so I guess it's the bold that's supposed to prove that the Jets are a joke filled with public locker room division?  While I really would love to never see Sanchez play for the Jets again, Mangold saying he gives them a better chance to win, and even including the caveat of "at this point" (before Smith has even had his first NFL training camp), is not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

The only real problem with this is the media's desperate attempt to make this into some huge conspiracy, and the fans who are foolish enough to buy into it.

I view Mangold's support of Sanchez as being very Rex-esque. Nick is just a very loyal person who happens to be very close with Mark. I love Nick, but you gotta take what he says about Mark with a grain of salt. He's never said a bad word about him and he never will. At least not as long as the Jets are paying him.

What did Nick say that was so wrong?  Right now it's true.  Training camp may change that opinion.  Just like last year, no one liked it when Rex said Sanchez gave the Jets the best chance to win.  It sucks, but it's true.

“I haven’t walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there — and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance.”

This could be the saddest truth most of us have had to bear in our lives .... another season, at least, in best case mediocrity ...

Report: Jets want Sanchez at QB

Center Nick Mangold says Jets players wants Mark Sanchez at QB.

FOX Sports

Updated Jun 20, 2013 1:18 AM ET

According to a report, New York Jets center Nick Mangold says he and his teammates want Sanchez to be the one receiving his snaps this season.

The New York Post reports that the Pro Bowl center not only believes Sanchez should be the Jets starting quarterback in Week 1, he also thinks his teammates feel the same way.

Speaking at a promotional appearance in New York's Washington Square Park, Mangold told the Post on Wednesday he supports the embattled Sanchez. He claimed Sanchez, a close friend of the center, gives the Jets a better chance to win this fall than rookie quarterback Geno Smith. And he said the he believes the rest of the team would echo those sentiments.

“I believe so,” he told The Post. “I haven’t walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there — and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance.”

After leading the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first two seasons with the Jets, Sanchez struggled the past two years and has been widely criticized. But after watching Sanchez during offseason workouts and last week's minicamp, Mangold told the Post he backs his buddy.

“I think Mark is a fantastic quarterback for us, and I think he can do some good things,” Mangold told the Post. “He showed some good flashes in the spring, getting [new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s] system down and commanding the offense way that he should be. We’ll see how training camp plays out, but either way, the competition will make him a better player.”

Mangold believes Sanchez's experience should be what lifts him above Smith in the quarterback battle. But he told the Post the rookie out of West Virginia has a bright future.

“He can be a good player for us,” Mangold told the Post. “He’s a hard worker, and he’s asking questions. He’s taking the coaching and taking the advice to heart, and I think he’s doing some good things.”

Veterans never want to sacrifice a year of their career so a rookie QB can learn the ropes, even if the alternative is playing for a veteran QB who wouldn't crack a starting lineup in the Lingerie League. Alan Faneca spent half the season in full stinkface mode when Roethlisberger took over for Tommy Maddox.

if Nick Mangold came out and said Geno Smith gave them the best chance to win, he'd be a very reliable football mind. Because he supports Sanchez he's an idiot and the Jets are a joke. 

Jets fans start at the answer they want. and then ask questions they want to get there. 

if Nick Mangold came out and said Geno Smith gave them the best chance to win, he'd be a very reliable football mind. Because he supports Sanchez he's an idiot and the Jets are a joke. 

Jets fans start at the answer they want. and then ask questions they want to get there. 

If the 49ers can replace Joe Montana, I think the Jets can find a way to replace Sanchez without a total locker room mutiny.  

I also get the sense that while the offense may have some affinity for Sanchez, it's really the defense that can't stand him and his carelessness with the football.    There is a natural divide between offense and defense but the Jets really have a split locker room in this regard.   The fact that Rex always talks about "his" defense and "the" offense only makes things even worse.   

If Geno can win games Mangold will be his biggest supporter.   

If the 49ers can replace Joe Montana, I think the Jets can find a way to replace Sanchez without a total locker room mutiny.

I also get the sense that while the offense may have some affinity for Sanchez, it's really the defense that can't stand him and his carelessness with the football. There is a natural divide between offense and defense but the Jets really have a split locker room in this regard. The fact that Rex always talks about "his" defense and "the" offense only makes things even worse.

If Geno can win games Mangold will be his biggest supporter.

.............you did not just liken Geno Smith to Steve Young?!?

Anyway I don't see how this is circus talk. Support is good.

Mangold: Jets' locker room wants Sanchez to start
By BART HUBBUCH
Last Updated: 9:46 AM, June 20, 2013
Posted:  1:18 AM, June 20, 2013
Jets Blog

Not only does Nick Mangold think Mark Sanchez should be the Jets’ Week 1 starting quarterback, but the Pro Bowl center believes the rest of the Gang Green locker room feels the exact same way.

Mangold voiced his support for the embattled Sanchez yesterday during a promotional appearance at Washington Square Park, saying his close friend gives the Jets a better chance than rookie Geno Smith of being successful right away this fall.

Asked if the rest of the locker room also hopes Sanchez will emerge as the starter, Mangold nodded.

“I believe so,” he told The Post. “I haven’t walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there — and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance.”

MANGOLD AND HIS MAN: Nick Mangold says Mark Sanchez gives the Jets a better chance to win than rookie second-round pick Geno Smith.

Sanchez has been buried under an avalanche of criticism the past two seasons as he flailed away while the Jets missed the playoffs both years, but Mangold still has his back.

Mangold’s backing of Sanchez for the starting job was enhanced, he said, by what the veteran lineman saw during offseason workouts and last week’s minicamp.

“I think Mark is a fantastic quarterback for us, and I think he can do some good things,” Mangold said. “He showed some good flashes in the spring, getting [new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s] system down and commanding the offense the way that he should be. We’ll see how training camp plays out, but either way, the competition will make him a better player.”

Mangold indicated Smith has a ways to go before the second-round pick from West Virginia is ready to be an NFL starter.

“Mark had a little bit better idea of the ideas and of seeing things, which are things Geno is going to have to work his butt off on,” Mangold said.

But Mangold also defended Smith, saying he has seen no evidence of the “diva” tag that was applied after Smith caused a brief stir at the NFL Draft, fired his agents shortly afterward and then hired rap star Jay-Z’s new agency to replace them.

“He can be a good player for us,” Mangold said. “He’s a hard worker, and he’s asking questions. He’s taking the coaching and taking the advice to heart, and I think he’s doing some good things.”

Mangold joked that Smith is on notice from teammates to start bringing Jay-Z to Jets practices, but said the newcomer is well-liked.

“He’s not a diva,” Mangold said. “I don’t see the diva. I don’t get where that came from. Maybe it was somebody with sour grapes who didn’t get to pick him and is spreading some bad stuff out there. But he’s been great for us.”

Mangold also couldn’t help taking a few digs at the arch-rival Patriots in the wake of Aaron Hernandez being involved in the investigation of a shooting death, Rob Gronkowski’s multiple surgeries and New England’s surprise decision to sign Tim Tebow.

“I bet Bill [belichick] is losing his mind right now,” Mangold said.

Asked if he was healthy going into the summer break, Mangold then poked fun at Gronkowski by saying: “As long as I can avoid back surgery and forearm surgery, I’m good.”

bhubbuch@nypost.com

I view Mangold's support of Sanchez as being very Rex-esque. Nick is just a very loyal person who happens to be very close with Mark. I love Nick, but you gotta take what he says about Mark with a grain of salt. He's never said a bad word about him and he never will. At least not as long as the Jets are paying him.

Well, I view Mangold's comments as a leader on the team, and a serious competitor.  Who has seen both QB's in OTA's and mini camp,  who thinks that Sanchez is better then Smith, and gives the Jets the best chance to win.

What does he know?   Angry fickel Jets fans know all

"at this point" = yo, it's June

Mangold said he and the team want to win. He didn't say he wanted Sanchez to start, he said Sanchez gives them the best chance to win at this point. Meaning if the perception of who gives them the best chance to win changes in 3 months, it still serves the goal of wanting to win. Not backing one player over the other. 

This is typical media subterfuge. 

Well, I view Mangold's comments as a leader on the team, and a serious competitor.  Who has seen both QB's in OTA's and mini camp,  who thinks that Sanchez is better then Smith, and gives the Jets the best chance to win.

What does he know?   Angry fickel Jets fans know all

Well, Joe Namath is a drunk old idiot who doesn't know anything, and he said the same thing as Mangold, and was so obviously wrong... therefore based on my calculations... Mangold must also be a drunk old idiot who doesn't know anything. 

Well, Joe Namath is a drunk old idiot who doesn't know anything, and he said the same thing as Mangold, and was so obviously wrong... therefore based on my calculations... Mangold must also be a drunk old idiot who doesn't know anything. 

If Joe Namath had only glowing or even slightly positive (the last couple of years have not been anything to glow about)  things to say about the Jets, reporters would stop ringing his doorbell. That is the problem I have with the current state of affairs.

I saw the same thing.  Particularly when Mangold called Sanchez a "fantastic" QB.  Very Rex-ian.

Well, human nature guarantees that when you have a locker room of 53 separate individuals, some of their opinions are not always going to coincide.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are people in that locker room who do not want Mark to start. Hopefully, with the new GM and a new culture, we won't ever hear about it. But, make no mistake, the entire team does not agree with Nick. If you think they do, your suffering from personal confirmation bias. 

The link you provided doesn't actually take you to an article, so I assume you're talking about Mangold's comments. For starters, there's absolutely nothing about locker room division reported anywhere. Secondly, the entire string of nonsense trying to blow this out of proportion is based all around one quote from Mangold, which is:

I can't imagine anyone could possibly have a problem with the beginning of the quote, so I guess it's the bold that's supposed to prove that the Jets are a joke filled with public locker room division? While I really would love to never see Sanchez play for the Jets again, Mangold saying he gives them a better chance to win, and even including the caveat of "at this point" (before Smith has even had his first NFL training camp), is not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

The only real problem with this is the media's desperate attempt to make this into some huge conspiracy, and the fans who are foolish enough to buy into it.

Mangold is trying to get out in front of the debate which is likely brewing.

this thread title talks about divisions in the locker room. If Mangold says the team wants Sanchez "at this point" how is that a division? It kinda sounds like they are united, actually.

He is trying to get ahead of the topic and sway public opinion.

Archived