Revis : Less pressure in Tampa than New York ~ ~ ~

kelly

New Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis has spent

long enough in Tampa to know one thing. It's not New York.

"The organization's great. It's real laid back down there. It's

not a lot of pressure as it is in New York," Revis told the Aliquippa
Times this week.

Revis still has to live up to his lofty contract and expectations.
But it's clear he's digging his new digs, and the relative lack of
media scrutiny. He also likes the talent around him, especially new
teammate Dashon Goldson.

"He is the best safety in the league, as of today. And I'm saying
that boldly," Revis said. "No knock on Troy (Polamalu) and all of those
guys, but he's the best, and heâs only in his eighth year, which is
awesome. He's Batman. I'm Robin."

It's interesting that Revis made himself the green tights-wearing
sidekick in this scenario, but it speaks to amount of talent in the

Buccaneers' secondary. Second-year pro Mark Barron also has

a chance to break out, and cornerback Eric Wright has shown

flashes as a pro.

Perhaps Revis no longer feels like he has the weight of a franchise

on his shoulders.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213793/article/darrelle-revis-less-pressure-in-tampa-than-new-york

At $14 million per this guy has NO IDEA the pressure he is about to face if the Bucs don't get in the playoffs.

None of it is guaranteed. Plus, he plays a marginally important position... if they fail to get into the playoffs, the first head to roll with be Josh Freeman. He's the QB. Schiano is safe, he drafted Glennon right? So, a new QB that is "his guy" automatically gets him another year or two.

Revis will be about 5-6 layers of blame removed from being the scapegoat WHEN, not if, they miss the playoffs. 

Less pressure obviously, but that also means less positive media coverage for him; he will never be covered like he was in New York. I think the Jets will finish with a better record than the Bucs this year, and Idzik will be shown to have made the right move that one player who almost never touches the ball is not worth 16 mil a year.

He also likes the talent around him, especially new

teammate Dashon Goldson.

"He is the best safety in the league, as of today. And I'm saying

that boldly," Revis said. "No knock on Troy (Polamalu) and all of those

guys, but he's the best, and he's only in his eighth year, which is

awesome. He's Batman. I'm Robin."

I'm surprised that Revis doesn't hold that opinion of Eric Smith. ;)

Great player but a Greedy POS, An Evil side of me wants him to come back half the player he was in N.Y.

Paying him 16m per and having no idea if he'd be the same player would have ham strung us.

As good as he was I got feed up with the constant hold outs and blackmail.

Great player but a Greedy POS, An Evil side of me wants him to come back half the player he was in N.Y.

Paying him 16m per and having no idea if he'd be the same player would have ham strung us.

And if he doesn't come back like he was, before long no one will remember or talk about the scrutiny Idzik & the Jets went through this offseason.  It'll seem, in hindsight, like a "duh, of course" move.  Meanwhile the press was all over him for even considering the idea of trading Revis, arguably the best on-field player the franchise has ever had, and again for only getting back a #13 pick (not even a top 10 pick) in a top-light draft and a conditional 4th next year.

Meanwhle if Revis is great again for years to come he'll certainly have to deal with continued criticism (particularly if/when there's a big bump in the cap limit shortly) he may never live down, no matter how kookie $16M/year (and forgoing a #1 pick and more) is for a team still at square 1 of a massive rebuild (with super-little cap room to spend at the time).

Thats everyone. Everyone was tired of the constant holding out and money talk. I am hoping he is away for a year or two.. then comes back. Sure, he would be a lesser talent at that point.. but it was nice having a homegrown talent that was so elite. I'd like to see him come back and ultimately retire in green and white.

And if he doesn't come back like he was, before long no one will remember or talk about the scrutiny Idzik & the Jets went through this offseason.  It'll seem, in hindsight, like a "duh, of course" move.  Meanwhile the press was all over him for even considering the idea of trading Revis, arguably the best on-field player the franchise has ever had, and again for only getting back a #13 pick (not even a top 10 pick) in a top-light draft and a conditional 4th next year.

Meanwhle if Revis is great again for years to come he'll certainly have to deal with continued criticism (particularly if/when there's a big bump in the cap limit shortly) he may never live down, no matter how kookie $16M/year (and forgoing a #1 pick and more) is for a team still at square 1 of a massive rebuild (with super-little cap room to spend at the time).

By the end of week 2, we should have our answer.

By the end of week 2, we should have our answer.

Why is that? 1 game against Sanchez is meaningless.  1 game against Brees frankly is as well; he had multi-interception games against the Giants and Falcons last year (5 vs Atlanta who didn't exactly have a lockdown secondary).

I was referring to hindsight of a year or even a few years from now anyway.  Given some time, it'll look like it was so-obviously smart or so-obviously stupid based on how things played out in hindsight.  Meanwhile at the time there would have been a lot of controversy whether Revis was traded or kept (for one rebuilding season before leaving via FA).

Anyway, by the time this comes to pass no one will remember my inconsequential posts here.

Why is that? 1 game against Sanchez is meaningless.  1 game against Brees frankly is as well; he had multi-interception games against the Giants and Falcons last year (5 vs Atlanta who didn't exactly have a lockdown secondary).

I was referring to hindsight of a year or even a few years from now anyway.  Given some time, it'll look like it was so-obviously smart or so-obviously stupid based on how things played out in hindsight.  Meanwhile at the time there would have been a lot of controversy whether Revis was traded or kept (for one rebuilding season before leaving via FA).

Anyway, by the time this comes to pass no one will remember my inconsequential posts here.

Yeah, I understood your premise. And don't worry, I'll remember.. I'll remember.

And if he doesn't come back like he was, before long no one will remember or talk about the scrutiny Idzik & the Jets went through this offseason. It'll seem, in hindsight, like a "duh, of course" move. Meanwhile the press was all over him for even considering the idea of trading Revis, arguably the best on-field player the franchise has ever had, and again for only getting back a #13 pick (not even a top 10 pick) in a top-light draft and a conditional 4th next year.

What dealing Revis was about, I think, was a bigger point than the money and future production because simply paying him shouldn't have been an issue. I think it was a bigger message that the drama and disrespect and consistent holdouts are done, nobody is going to hold this team hostage that isn't a bona fide 1st ballot QB. I hate to use a hockey analogy but it is a capped sport, so, look at the Devils. They do not give into player demands, they build through the draft and make smart trades and free agency moves. Those trades more often than not use a star Devil as bait. Three Cups and Four total appearances later and numerous playoff runs later in about 20 years, I would say there may be something to that strategy. I can think of ONE player in my 28 years that they paid up for, Ilya Kovalchuck, who is a 1ballot HOF, scores a ton of goals and, tbh I think the owner stepped in front of Lou anyway. You can say the same think, to a lesser executed extent to the Patriots, definitely the Steelers, Green Bay, and that is probably about it. Basically the most successful teams in their respective sports, fwiw. Nobody holds the team hostage, period. You could hear the shock in the players voice in the media. Message sent.

Doubtful. He wouldn't even have to play for the Buccs to beat the Jets. Who would he even cover at the point? Kerley? Ha.

Our defense can beat Glennon/Freeman.  If our offense is above average, we'll do fine at home against the Bucs.  Revis will probably cover Holmes if healthy...

What dealing Revis was about, I think, was a bigger point than the money and future production because simply paying him shouldn't have been an issue. I think it was a bigger message that the drama and disrespect and consistent holdouts are done, nobody is going to hold this team hostage that isn't a bona fide 1st ballot QB. I hate to use a hockey analogy but it is a capped sport, so, look at the Devils. They do not give into player demands, they build through the draft and make smart trades and free agency moves. Those trades more often than not use a star Devil as bait. Three Cups and Four total appearances later and numerous playoff runs later in about 20 years, I would say there may be something to that strategy. I can think of ONE player in my 28 years that they paid up for, Ilya Kovalchuck, who is a 1ballot HOF, scores a ton of goals and, tbh I think the owner stepped in front of Lou anyway. You can say the same think, to a lesser executed extent to the Patriots, definitely the Steelers, Green Bay, and that is probably about it. Basically the most successful teams in their respective sports, fwiw. Nobody holds the team hostage, period. You could hear the shock in the players voice in the media. Message sent.

I think it was about the money.  A CB is not worth $16M/year (and passing up on a 1st round pick plus more).  And certainly not worth it when 1 of those years is going to be for a team starting a massive tear-down-then-rebuild.  One could argue it if the team had a narrow window (like we had - or thought we had - a few years back), where >50% of your core team won't be on the team or nearly as good due to age in 3 years.  Then I could see going for broke (wise or foolish in hindsight, I could see & rationalize doing it).

I have no doubt some of it was personal with Woody.  But in the end it was a stupid amount to pay a CB, particularly one coming off a serious knee injury, hence the massive league-wide disinterest in Revis just 2-3 months ago.  Idzik did a fine job considering his injury history, his holdout history, his demands, and that there was only one suitor; kind of hard to get a bidding war going that way.  He took a lot of heat from a lot of people and have no doubt this was the best possible deal (or anything better would have been insignificantly better).

But while the owner is the same, this is a new GM and in the end it was about the ridiculous money Revis wanted.  An amount so many incorrectly doubted he actually wanted. 

Our defense can beat Glennon/Freeman.  If our offense is above average, we'll do fine at home against the Bucs.  Revis will probably cover Holmes if healthy...

What about the defense makes you think we can stop that running game?

And the offense will not be above or even at average.  That's wishful thinking at best, as is thinking Holmes will play week one.

Archived