•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What to expect from Marty? Philly perspective

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationA land far, far away

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Was in Philly today. Asked a bunch of peepes what to expect from Marty as our OC. Everyone said the same thing, nobody knows because the offense in Philly was 100% Reid. They said they would expect a similar philosophy, but they all said that the offense was all Reid in Philly and Marty called plays, but Reid established the offense and the gameplan every week.

#2 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

So a terrible line, and a fragile QB, and a solid run game. OK. 

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Andy Reid: "So, I took the Kansas City job."

Marty Mornhinweg: "Sweet! I love barbecue!"

AR: "Yeah. Hey! Look over there!"

:MM turns, looks, sees nothing, but hears the sound of tires screeching on the way out of the parking lot:
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

:MM turns, looks, sees nothing, but hears the sound of tires screeching on the way out of the parking lot:

This was what a few people implied. They said that Reid was happy to move on from Marty and that Marty had no other options other than the Jets. I am at least a bit nervous.

#5 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

6 Years Is Enough. Time To Fire Rex

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

This was what a few people implied. They said that Reid was happy to move on from Marty and that Marty had no other options other than the Jets. I am at least a bit nervous.

Wasnt Marty considered a top 5 OC in the league at one time? 

NYJetsScript.gif

#6 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

ive heard the same thing. I live in south jersey and its common knowledge that reid called all the plays

#7 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

no idea i do know hes listed as being one of the worst head coaches ever though

#8 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

ive heard the same thing. I live in south jersey and its common knowledge that reid called all the plays

Ouch, I am really sorry to hear that. You live in south jersey that is. Do you own a farm?

#9 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Not sure, by who, and when? I never heard much about him to be honest, that was why I asked the Philly peepes.

#10 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ouch, I am really sorry to hear that. You live in south jersey that is. Do you own a farm?

nah live in suburbs on suburbs. But can drive 2 minutes away to a farm. Love south jersey though has suburbs cities beaches all close together

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, 25 June 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#11 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

nah live in suburbs on suburbs. But can drive 2 minutes away to a farm. Love south jersey though

I went to south jersey once, and I saw a friggin cow! I am not kidding, I literally saw a cow! Craziest sh$t ever.

#12 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

I went to south jersey once, and I saw a friggin cow! I am not kidding, I literally saw a cow! Craziest sh$t ever.

hahah they are around. We also have hammonton which is called the blueberry capitol of the world. great blueberries

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, 25 June 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#13 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Marty called the plays for half of 2006 and all of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia....arty_Mornhinweg

Philly was 2nd in 2006 and 6th in 2007 in total yards. Andy took the playcalling back in 2008 and they fell to 9th. It shifted back and forth and Andy called a ton of plays but not all the plays. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#14 NCJETSFAN

NCJETSFAN

Idea Factory

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

It's real tough cause Philly has alot of playmakers and we have none!!!

#15 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Marty called the plays for half of 2006 and all of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia....arty_Mornhinweg

Philly was 2nd in 2006 and 6th in 2007 in total yards. Andy took the playcalling back in 2008 and they fell to 9th. It shifted back and forth and Andy called a ton of plays but not all the plays. 

i knew about that the 2006 and 2007 part but every other time andy called all the plays

ive also heard marty and andy split in 2007 but marty took over completely in 2006. Regardless ever since 2007 tho marty has not called the plays not even split unless you wanna say calling 3 trick plays a season splitting

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, 25 June 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#16 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Maybe revisionist history. The guy was an assistant when Favre was already an MVP like QB.  And Green Bay seemed to have a ton of coaches who went on to become head coaches under around the NFL.  He went to San Fran and became an OC in the late 90s.  He did a nice job with Jeff Garcia, but I dont think anybody would say he was one of the top OC.   

After that he was considered one of the worst coaches in the NFL and just as people laugh at Sanchez for butt fumble,   Marty had a forever remembered stupid coaching mistake.   AKA  "lets kick instead of receiving the ball in OT."

I still have some friends and family in the Philly area and not one of them cared that either Reid nor Marty were gone.  They loved Reid at one point, but it was about that time for him to go.  Marty just seemed like a guy who was along for the ride as nobody ever thought the guy actually did anything.  More like he was an OC in name only.

And it is funny how people throw out the He was OC for the Eagles in 2007.  The Eagles finished 8-8 and had more bad games than good games. That's why stats sometimes are so off base.   The offense could score 40 points, but at the same time that 2007 Eagles team would score like 10 points and lose 17-10.    So if Marty's claim to fame is that he was the full time OC for the Eagles in 2007,  the jets are in trouble.

#17 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Also a prime candidate to be a good 2nd time HC. Now that he's a Jet his resume now has a bunch of things that don't count towards him and then the bad stuff. Did you hear that he only coordinated his best offenses with prime QBs!?!? Except of course with the Eagles when he only OC'd the bad parts.

Edited by SenorGato, 26 June 2013 - 12:43 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#18 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Maybe revisionist history. The guy was an assistant when Favre was already an MVP like QB.  And Green Bay seemed to have a ton of coaches who went on to become head coaches under around the NFL.  He went to San Fran and became an OC in the late 90s.  He did a nice job with Jeff Garcia, but I dont think anybody would say he was one of the top OC.   

After that he was considered one of the worst coaches in the NFL and just as people laugh at Sanchez for butt fumble,   Marty had a forever remembered stupid coaching mistake.   AKA  "lets kick instead of receiving the ball in OT."

I still have some friends and family in the Philly area and not one of them cared that either Reid nor Marty were gone.  They loved Reid at one point, but it was about that time for him to go.  Marty just seemed like a guy who was along for the ride as nobody ever thought the guy actually did anything.  More like he was an OC in name only.

And it is funny how people throw out the He was OC for the Eagles in 2007.  The Eagles finished 8-8 and had more bad games than good games. That's why stats sometimes are so off base.   The offense could score 40 points, but at the same time that 2007 Eagles team would score like 10 points and lose 17-10.    So if Marty's claim to fame is that he was the full time OC for the Eagles in 2007,  the jets are in trouble.

It will definitely be interesting.  I have a small degree of optimism and hope.  I certainly am more optimistic about Mornhinweg than I ever was about Sparano or Schotty.  Mornhinweg may be only average or slightly above average, but that will be light years better than the awful OC work we've had for the last three years.  I think having David Lee as QB coach will help improve things as well.  Coming off the debacle of last season, and with Rex's status up in the air, Mornhinweg is probably as good as the Jets could have expected or hoped for this offseason.  If he does a solid or even great job this season, great, it's a bonus.  If not, he'll probably be gone along with Rex following the season.

Rex Ryan, the bag lady of NFL HCs.

#19 JerryK

JerryK

Supreme Chancellor

• Members
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Was in Philly today. Asked a bunch of peepes what to expect from Marty as our OC. Everyone said the same thing, nobody knows because the offense in Philly was 100% Reid. They said they would expect a similar philosophy, but they all said that the offense was all Reid in Philly and Marty called plays, but Reid established the offense and the gameplan every week.

Not sure it's true, but this would explain how he accomplished *nothing* in Detroit, and then did great in Philly.  Never quite understood that rapid turn of fortunes.

Hopefully it isn't true, because Rex's idea of offense is defensive TDs.

Edited by JerryK, 26 June 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Avatar=whoever eliminates Brady.

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Oh and the answer is, of course my fellow JN Scientists, the absolute worst. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#21 harts724

harts724

Tebow Hater

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

My God!, a couple of peepes said this in Philly REALLY PEOPLE!!! and your going to reply to this as true. UGH!!! Peeps are stupid sometimes.

#22 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,589 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Mornhinweg was Reid's hire, and his OC for seven years. The only reasonable conclusion to be drawn then, obviously, is that Reid thinks he can't coach.

Reid hired Doug Pederson as offensive coordinator but it wasn't before a talk with Mornhinweg. Reid tells the Philly Daily News he wanted to be the one calling plays.

"Marty, I thought did a phenomenal job calling the plays . . . I wanted to get back into doing that," Reid said. "I didn't think that was really fair [to ask Mornhinweg to come with him, without playcalling responsibilities] . . . we talked. It was a mutual thing. I didn't want to put him in a bad position. He'll help them; that's a great thing for [Jets quarterback Mark] Sanchez right there."

http://www.arrowhead...s-chiefs-eagles

Seems to suggest that Marty was calling a lot of plays, and that Andy want an OC who won't get in his way. Also, that Andy Reid is a crappy head coach who only understands one side of the ball.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#23 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Seems to suggest that Marty was calling a lot of plays, and that Andy want an OC who won't get in his way. Also, that Andy Reid is a crappy head coach who only understands one side of the ball.

i live in Philly and it's my understanding Marty called way more plays than people realized. Keep in mind the Eagles have amazing WR and the Jets have terrible WR. coaches coach and players play. Marty isn't gonna make Santonio heal or Hill learn how to catch. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#24 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Jacked4JetsFB, on 25 Jun 2013 - 19:24, said:

What a freakin coincidence - I went to north jersey once, and I saw a friggin employed dude! I am not kidding, I literally saw a guy who was actually employed! Craziest sh$t ever.

#25 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,540 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

i live in Philly and it's my understanding Marty called way more plays than people realized. Keep in mind the Eagles have amazing WR and the Jets have terrible WR. coaches coach and players play. Marty isn't gonna make Santonio heal or Hill learn how to catch. 

I live in New York and quit trying to piss on my parade. I want to believe we're not doomed from the start.

The Eagles offense has never been totally woeful. They somehow manage to average a decent amount of points and rack up a decent number of yards but somehow are always monumentally disappointing. Even with the Jets band of merry misfits, if Marty can call plays even half way decently, we're improved by a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users