What to expect from Marty? Philly perspective

Jacked4JetsFB

Was in Philly today. Asked a bunch of peepes what to expect from Marty as our OC. Everyone said the same thing, nobody knows because the offense in Philly was 100% Reid. They said they would expect a similar philosophy, but they all said that the offense was all Reid in Philly and Marty called plays, but Reid established the offense and the gameplan every week.

Andy Reid: "So, I took the Kansas City job."

Marty Mornhinweg: "Sweet! I love barbecue!"

AR: "Yeah. Hey! Look over there!"

:MM turns, looks, sees nothing, but hears the sound of tires screeching on the way out of the parking lot:

:MM turns, looks, sees nothing, but hears the sound of tires screeching on the way out of the parking lot:

This was what a few people implied. They said that Reid was happy to move on from Marty and that Marty had no other options other than the Jets. I am at least a bit nervous.

ive heard the same thing. I live in south jersey and its common knowledge that reid called all the plays

Marty called the plays for half of 2006 and all of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Mornhinweg

Philly was 2nd in 2006 and 6th in 2007 in total yards. Andy took the playcalling back in 2008 and they fell to 9th. It shifted back and forth and Andy called a ton of plays but not all the plays. 

Marty called the plays for half of 2006 and all of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Mornhinweg

Philly was 2nd in 2006 and 6th in 2007 in total yards. Andy took the playcalling back in 2008 and they fell to 9th. It shifted back and forth and Andy called a ton of plays but not all the plays. 

i knew about that the 2006 and 2007 part but every other time andy called all the plays

ive also heard marty and andy split in 2007 but marty took over completely in 2006. Regardless ever since 2007 tho marty has not called the plays not even split unless you wanna say calling 3 trick plays a season splitting

Wasnt Marty considered a top 5 OC in the league at one time? 

Maybe revisionist history. The guy was an assistant when Favre was already an MVP like QB.  And Green Bay seemed to have a ton of coaches who went on to become head coaches under around the NFL.  He went to San Fran and became an OC in the late 90s.  He did a nice job with Jeff Garcia, but I dont think anybody would say he was one of the top OC.   

After that he was considered one of the worst coaches in the NFL and just as people laugh at Sanchez for butt fumble,   Marty had a forever remembered stupid coaching mistake.   AKA  "lets kick instead of receiving the ball in OT."

I still have some friends and family in the Philly area and not one of them cared that either Reid nor Marty were gone.  They loved Reid at one point, but it was about that time for him to go.  Marty just seemed like a guy who was along for the ride as nobody ever thought the guy actually did anything.  More like he was an OC in name only.

And it is funny how people throw out the He was OC for the Eagles in 2007.  The Eagles finished 8-8 and had more bad games than good games. That's why stats sometimes are so off base.   The offense could score 40 points, but at the same time that 2007 Eagles team would score like 10 points and lose 17-10.    So if Marty's claim to fame is that he was the full time OC for the Eagles in 2007,  the jets are in trouble.

Wasnt Marty considered a top 5 OC in the league at one time? 

Also a prime candidate to be a good 2nd time HC. Now that he's a Jet his resume now has a bunch of things that don't count towards him and then the bad stuff. Did you hear that he only coordinated his best offenses with prime QBs!?!? Except of course with the Eagles when he only OC'd the bad parts.

Maybe revisionist history. The guy was an assistant when Favre was already an MVP like QB.  And Green Bay seemed to have a ton of coaches who went on to become head coaches under around the NFL.  He went to San Fran and became an OC in the late 90s.  He did a nice job with Jeff Garcia, but I dont think anybody would say he was one of the top OC.   

After that he was considered one of the worst coaches in the NFL and just as people laugh at Sanchez for butt fumble,   Marty had a forever remembered stupid coaching mistake.   AKA  "lets kick instead of receiving the ball in OT."

I still have some friends and family in the Philly area and not one of them cared that either Reid nor Marty were gone.  They loved Reid at one point, but it was about that time for him to go.  Marty just seemed like a guy who was along for the ride as nobody ever thought the guy actually did anything.  More like he was an OC in name only.

And it is funny how people throw out the He was OC for the Eagles in 2007.  The Eagles finished 8-8 and had more bad games than good games. That's why stats sometimes are so off base.   The offense could score 40 points, but at the same time that 2007 Eagles team would score like 10 points and lose 17-10.    So if Marty's claim to fame is that he was the full time OC for the Eagles in 2007,  the jets are in trouble.

It will definitely be interesting.  I have a small degree of optimism and hope.  I certainly am more optimistic about Mornhinweg than I ever was about Sparano or Schotty.  Mornhinweg may be only average or slightly above average, but that will be light years better than the awful OC work we've had for the last three years.  I think having David Lee as QB coach will help improve things as well.  Coming off the debacle of last season, and with Rex's status up in the air, Mornhinweg is probably as good as the Jets could have expected or hoped for this offseason.  If he does a solid or even great job this season, great, it's a bonus.  If not, he'll probably be gone along with Rex following the season.

Was in Philly today. Asked a bunch of peepes what to expect from Marty as our OC. Everyone said the same thing, nobody knows because the offense in Philly was 100% Reid. They said they would expect a similar philosophy, but they all said that the offense was all Reid in Philly and Marty called plays, but Reid established the offense and the gameplan every week.

Not sure it's true, but this would explain how he accomplished *nothing* in Detroit, and then did great in Philly.  Never quite understood that rapid turn of fortunes.

Hopefully it isn't true, because Rex's idea of offense is defensive TDs.

Mornhinweg was Reid's hire, and his OC for seven years. The only reasonable conclusion to be drawn then, obviously, is that Reid thinks he can't coach.

Reid hired Doug Pederson as offensive coordinator but it wasn't before a talk with Mornhinweg. Reid tells the Philly Daily News he wanted to be the one calling plays.

"Marty, I thought did a phenomenal job calling the plays . . . I wanted to get back into doing that," Reid said. "I didn't think that was really fair [to ask Mornhinweg to come with him, without playcalling responsibilities] . . . we talked. It was a mutual thing. I didn't want to put him in a bad position. He'll help them; that's a great thing for [Jets quarterback Mark] Sanchez right there."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/24/3910742/marty-mornhinweg-andy-reid-oc-jets-chiefs-eagles

Seems to suggest that Marty was calling a lot of plays, and that Andy want an OC who won't get in his way. Also, that Andy Reid is a crappy head coach who only understands one side of the ball.

Seems to suggest that Marty was calling a lot of plays, and that Andy want an OC who won't get in his way. Also, that Andy Reid is a crappy head coach who only understands one side of the ball.

i live in Philly and it's my understanding Marty called way more plays than people realized. Keep in mind the Eagles have amazing WR and the Jets have terrible WR. coaches coach and players play. Marty isn't gonna make Santonio heal or Hill learn how to catch. 

Jacked4JetsFB, on 25 Jun 2013 - 19:24, said:

I went to south jersey once, and I saw a friggin cow! I am not kidding, I literally saw a cow! Craziest sh$t ever.

What a freakin coincidence - I went to north jersey once, and I saw a friggin employed dude! I am not kidding, I literally saw a guy who was actually employed! Craziest sh$t ever.

i live in Philly and it's my understanding Marty called way more plays than people realized. Keep in mind the Eagles have amazing WR and the Jets have terrible WR. coaches coach and players play. Marty isn't gonna make Santonio heal or Hill learn how to catch. 

I live in New York and quit trying to piss on my parade. I want to believe we're not doomed from the start.

The Eagles offense has never been totally woeful. They somehow manage to average a decent amount of points and rack up a decent number of yards but somehow are always monumentally disappointing. Even with the Jets band of merry misfits, if Marty can call plays even half way decently, we're improved by a lot.

I live in New York and quit trying to piss on my parade. I want to believe we're not doomed from the start.

The Eagles offense has never been totally woeful. They somehow manage to average a decent amount of points and rack up a decent number of yards but somehow are always monumentally disappointing. Even with the Jets band of merry misfits, if Marty can call plays even half way decently, we're improved by a lot.

I have hope for this season but play calling is not the problem. Sparano may have sucked as an OC but he didn't draw up plays that ended with buttfumbles. Schotty didn't draw up plays that instructed Mark to throw an interception to a defensive tackle. The Jets problem is execution not system. They have probably the worst skill positions in the league. Maybe Oakland is worse. But they are close to the bottom.  

Jets fans have been obsessed with coordinators since the Paul hackett days. That was a rare situation where the team had talent but the coaching held them back. recently the problem has been the players. if the Jets offense gets better it will be because of improved execution. 

Mornhinweg was Reid's hire, and his OC for seven years. The only reasonable conclusion to be drawn then, obviously, is that Reid thinks he can't coach.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/24/3910742/marty-mornhinweg-andy-reid-oc-jets-chiefs-eagles

Getting a one-year deal from the Jets to come coach the worst skill position group in the NFL is somehow an act of mercy on Reid's part, done in Mornhinweg's best interest?

I have hope for this season but play calling is not the problem. Sparano may have sucked as an OC but he didn't draw up plays that ended with buttfumbles. Schotty didn't draw up plays that instructed Mark to throw an interception to a defensive tackle. The Jets problem is execution not system. They have probably the worst skill positions in the league. Maybe Oakland is worse. But they are close to the bottom.  

Jets fans have been obsessed with coordinators since the Paul hackett days. That was a rare situation where the team had talent but the coaching held them back. recently the problem has been the players. if the Jets offense gets better it will be because of improved execution. 

I am pretty sure that "ground and pound" is not the exact way to win in today's NFL. That came directly from the head coach. Therein lies a lot of your problem.

#ShaneScience!

I mean he made Marty take a job with the Jets! The Jets! That says it all. 

I am pretty sure that "ground and pound" is not the exact way to win in today's NFL. That came directly from the head coach. Therein lies a lot of your problem.

it's called Risk management. handing the ball off to a running back isn't the way to win in the NFL but it lessens the chance of turnovers. The Jets can fire Rex but that doesn't change the personnel. 

it's called Risk management. handing the ball off to a running back isn't the way to win in the NFL but it lessens the chance of turnovers. The Jets can fire Rex but that doesn't change the personnel. 

It changes the philosophy though, and what you try and build around. Like it or not, this is a team that is built around Rex's image. 

The Jets need to change that philosophy.

If you are managing a team to avoid mistakes, rather than make plays, you have a flawed system.

flawed players. If rex had a legit FQB he wouldn't be ground and pound. 

Rex said in his initial press conference (before they drafted Sanchez) he wanted a team that would RUN the football.

He drafted a QB with that kind of philosophy and he has sunk with that kind of philosophy.

The ground and pound idea came before Sanchez. Don't get it mixed up for your own agenda.

Rex said in his initial press conference (before they drafted Sanchez) he wanted a team that would RUN the football.

He drafted a QB with that kind of philosophy and he has sunk with that kind of philosophy.

The ground and pound idea came before Sanchez. Don't get it mixed up for your own agenda.

just to be clear, exactly how much running is a good percentage? In your opinion. 

EDIT: the 2012 Jets were 50/50 

http://fftoday.com/articles/smith/13_run_pass_ratios.html

the 2011 Jets were 43/57 (way more passing) 

http://fftoday.com/articles/marcoccio/12_offensive_focus.html

the 2010 Jets were about 50/50 

http://pick256.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/quick-hit-passrun-ratios-2010-vs-2011/

the 2009 Jets were 59/41 (way more running) 

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-super-study-the-evolution-nfl-pass-run-ratio/15992/

it seems Rex is not making the team ground and pound every year. It changes from year to year. 

just to be clear, exactly how much running is a good percentage? In your opinion. 

EDIT: the 2012 Jets were 50/50 

http://fftoday.com/articles/smith/13_run_pass_ratios.html

the 2011 Jets were 43/57 (way more passing) 

http://fftoday.com/articles/marcoccio/12_offensive_focus.html

the 2010 Jets were about 50/50 

http://pick256.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/quick-hit-passrun-ratios-2010-vs-2011/

the 2009 Jets were 59/41 (way more running) 

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-super-study-the-evolution-nfl-pass-run-ratio/15992/

it seems Rex is not making the team ground and pound every year. It changes from year to year. 

Do you think this ratio has ANYTHING to do with the flow of games and what the games dictated? Really, you think anyone would have guessed that when the Jets were winning, they were running more?

That has little to do what the team WANTS to do though. And Rex has made it clear that he want to run first.

Archived