What to expect from Marty? Philly perspective

Jacked4JetsFB

Really, you think anyone would have guessed that when the Jets were winning, they were running more?

That has little to do what the team WANTS to do though. And Rex has made it clear that he want to run first.

in 2011 they won more than in 2012 and passed more. In 2009 and 2010 they had the same outcome L in AFCCG and the ratios were different. I still want to know what you think is a good ratio. The 2011 ratio is exactly the same as the 2010 league average. the Jets didn't have the horses for that and they probably still don't. Not sure how that's Rex's fault. If they were 59/41 every year you'd have a point about rex being unchanging or whatever. But they change ratio every year. 

in 2011 they won more than in 2012 and passed more. In 2009 and 2010 they had the same outcome L in AFCCG and the ratios were different. I still want to know what you think is a good ratio. The 2011 ratio is exactly the same as the 2010 league average. the Jets didn't have the horses for that and they probably still don't. Not sure how that's Rex's fault. If they were 59/41 every year you'd have a point about rex being unchanging or whatever. But they change ratio every year. 

Are you denying that "ground and pound" and that "we want to be an all weather team" have not been Rex's credo? That at times of crossroads, he has not stressed that the "jets need to run the ball more"?

Are you really going to tell me that is not the case?

Ratios mean nothing and are more of a happenstance dictated by the pace and flow of any particular game. Of course you want to be balanced and do everything well. Fact is, Rex never seems to consider that the passing game can be part of an effective offense.

So Rex is an idiot married to the ground and pound, but he dumps Sparano after one year and hires Mornhinweg who is bashed for throwing too much.  Says he wants an offense that attacks.  Sounds like the guy won't adapt and steadfastly sticks to things that  don't work.  Doesn't it? 

Mornhinweg was Reid's hire, and his OC for seven years. The only reasonable conclusion to be drawn then, obviously, is that Reid thinks he can't coach.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/24/3910742/marty-mornhinweg-andy-reid-oc-jets-chiefs-eagles

Seems to suggest that Marty was calling a lot of plays, and that Andy want an OC who won't get in his way. Also, that Andy Reid is a crappy head coach who only understands one side of the ball.

Why the very nerve of him!!!  I've never heard of such.  Good thing we have a HC who is excellent with all three units.

Why the very nerve of him!!!  I've never heard of such.  Good thing we have a HC who is excellent with all three units.

In your opinion, are you bad at detecting sarcasm, being sarcastic, or both?

Are you denying that "ground and pound" and that "we want to be an all weather team" have not been Rex's credo? That at times of crossroads, he has not stressed that the "jets need to run the ball more"?

Are you really going to tell me that is not the case?

it clearly wasn't in 2011. Your opinion is that Rex always goes G&P it's not true. the facts bear that out.

And you still haven't answered what you think the balance should be. 

it clearly wasn't in 2011. Your opinion is that Rex always goes G&P it's not true. the facts bear that out.

And you still haven't answered what you think the balance should be. 

Do you think the ratio of run to pass in 2011 had ANYTHING to do with the number of times they were behind in games and needed to pass in order to catch up?

Do you really believe that teams go into a season thinking "we have to have a 55%-45% ratio of run to pass" and they adjust game to game to get closer to the desired ratio?

It doesn't work that way Matt.

If you don't think Rex is a ground and pound guy, you just arent watching or listening.

Do you think the ratio of run to pass in 2011 had ANYTHING to do with the number of times they were behind in games and needed to pass in order to catch up?

Do you really believe that teams go into a season thinking "we have to have a 55%-45% ratio of run to pass" and they adjust game to game to get closer to the desired ratio?

It doesn't work that way Matt.

If you don't think Rex is a ground and pound guy, you just arent watching or listening.

I remember the 2011 season. they tried to pass a ton. It wasn't just behind, it didn't work but most of the season they were passing like crazy. You seem to believe Rex isn't capable of ordering his players to pass. He gives the orders. They weren't followed. 

I remember the 2011 season. they tried to pass a ton. It wasn't just behind, it didn't work but most of the season they were passing like crazy. You seem to believe Rex isn't capable of ordering his players to pass. He gives the orders. They weren't followed. 

What orders did he give????

EDIT-I just looked it up-In 2011 they ranked 17th in the league in the number of pass attempts. That is hardly "passing a ton"

What orders did he give????

EDIT-I just looked it up-In 2011 they ranked 17th in the league in the number of pass attempts. That is hardly "passing a ton"

number of attempts is relative to number of first downs, turnovers etc. they weren't successful. but they passed 57% of the time

Im still wondering what you think the right mix is. You criticize Rex for being too G&P and have no idea what the correct mix should be. I've asked maybe 5 times in this thread. 

number of attempts is relative to number of first downs, turnovers etc. they weren't successful. but they passed 57% of the time

Im still wondering what you think the right mix is. You criticize Rex for being too G&P and have no idea what the correct mix should be. I've asked maybe 5 times in this thread. 

Ratio, as I've tried to tell you is unimportant.  The New England Patriots had more rush attempts than any other NFL team last year, but I would hardly call them a rush first philosophy offense. 

Again, ratio is not important. What is your team's philosophy and how is it geared to move? Under Rex, it has been a run philosophy. I don't see how you can dispute that, as Rex has admitted such himself.

What would I like to see? A balance. At least show me an interest in developing a passing game, which Rex has not.

EDIT-LOL-Here it is in 2011, Rex mentioning the need to go to G &P

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7056451/irate-rex-ryan-promises-new-york-jets-return-running-game

A furious Rex Ryan lashed into his players in Monday's team meeting, vowing to end the two-game tailspin and promising a return to their Ground & Pound personality on offense.

Players said Ryan's message was, "We need to get back to our identity" -- i.e. running the football.

Probably explains the first draft move of the era being a move into the top 5 for a QB. So that the goal of Groundz and Poundz could be achieved. 

Like everything with this era, the means never seemed to justify the end.

I guess ground and pound is a term the media invented for the Jets and Ryan is wanting to AirRyan.

#Gato_naivete

so just to review you refuse to look at the stats (or even verbalize what you think an NFL offense "should" look like) instead taking your arguments from coach-speak. Which you refuse to believe 99.9% of the time.

If you refuse to see that the Jets during Rex's tenure have been  a "run philosophy" oriented offense, I can't help you. 

Like everything with this era, the means never seemed to justify the end.

I guess ground and pound is a term the media invented for the Jets and Ryan is wanting to AirRyan.

#Gato_naivete

Yeah, usually when you draft a QB you're looking to pass. The QB sucks - what else do you do on offense? Punt?

#ScottD_FootballScientist 

If you refuse to see that the Jets during Rex's tenure have been  a "run philosophy" oriented offense, I can't help you. 

Some years more than others. The question you should be asking is, if Rex wanted to go pass heavy, would it work? not with this crew. 

Well there is a reason for that-He built this crew to be run oriented-duh. That stuff does not just happen. 

Rex doesn't buy the groceries. The Jets could have bill walsh as the head coach and still be a terrible passing team. 

Some years more than others. The question you should be asking is, if Rex wanted to go pass heavy, would it work? not with this crew. 

Plus how would we know if he wanted to when 30 drives per year end in QB-caused turnovers (not even counting turnovers on downs when more aggressive passing plays were called)?

We were running like crazy, with crazy success, for Rex/Sanchez's 2 years with a wildly inaccurate QB. How dumb would anyone have to be to turn us into pass-first teams with those strengths/weaknesses?

It can be more than one thing, given the small sample size.  Our OCs AND our QBs have been sub-par at best.  Sanchez sucking doesn't let Sparano/Schottenheimer off the hook any more than the other way around. 

Archived