New York Jets : Better or Worse on Offense than a year ago ? ? ?

kelly

New York Jets : Better or Worse on Offense Than a Year Ago ?

Here are two simple questions.

Where are the Jets stronger than they were a year ago ?

Where are they weaker than they were a year ago. Today we will take a look at

the offense. Before we start, keep in mind what we are examining. Should

Jets fans feel more confident in a position than they would have at

this time last year? We all know Santonio Holmes missed three-quarters

of the season in 2012, which alone might make him likely to increase his

production in 2013. We did not know that at the time, though. This is a

comparison of where the team was before the start of training camp last

year, and what we know then against where things stand right now.

QB: The quarterback

situation looks almost identical except Geno Smith is in camp instead of

Tim Tebow. This alone makes the situation look better in 2013 than it

did in 2012. Geno has way more upside. The question is how much better

things will be. Is Geno capable of playing quality ball as a starter, or

is he just merely an upgrade on Tebow? The former would make the Jets

much better. The latter would not make a significant difference in the

team.

Verdict: Better

RB: We are going mainly

on potential here, but it is tough to not feel more confident. Entering

last season, Shonn Greene was the top dog in the backfield. Even most of

those who defended his play would admit he was nothing special. Bilal

Powell was a backup coming off an unproductive rookie year where he

barely saw the field. Joe McKnight was an underutilized weapon. This

year the Jets have Chris Ivory, a guy who has flashed difference-maker

potential in his limited work. They have Mike Goodson, whose speed can

be dangerous if utilized properly. Powell is back and more confident

after a solid performance as a second banana, and McKnight is back and

as underutilized as ever. The fullback change from John Conner to Lex

Hilliard/Tommy Bohanon probably does not push the needle much either

way.

Verdict: Better

WR: This is a tough

call. Jeremy Kerley was an unknown last year. He emerged as the best

receiver on the team in 2012, and Jets fans can be confident in his play

in the slot this year. Stephen Hill is raw, just like he was last year.

Jets fans are hoping he plays well, not expecting it. That sounds

familiar. I think the big difference is Santonio Holmes. A year ago,

Holmes was healthy. Now he is coming off a serious injury that might

have robbed him of the ability to do the things he does best. A healthy

Holmes can be a very productive receiver. It is tough to feel confident

in the current incarnation until we see him in action. His status more

than cancels out Kerley's progress in my view.

Verdict: Worse

TE: Dustin Keller might

not be a great tight end, but I would rather have him than being forced

to roll the dice on a hoblled Kellen Winslow II. Just like last year,

there is not a ton of depth behind the projected starter.

OL: A year ago at this

time, Wayne Hunter was the starter at right tackle. After getting

passable play from Austin Howard last year, Jets fans have to feel

better about right tackle. How about the rest of the line? D'Brickashaw

Ferguson had a nice bounceback year in 2012. Nick Mangold had a down

year for him. Regardless, both inspire confidence. The guard spots are

the areas for concern. As was the case for most of his career, Brandon

Moore delivered excellent play from the right guard spot that went

largely unnoticed. It is kind of incredible how little is made of his

presumed departure in free agency when people talk about the offseason

the Jets had. Willie Colon can be just as good when he is playing well,

but his inability to stay on the field is a huge concern. On the other

side, Matt Slauson was never specutacular, but that cuts both ways. He

rarely made great plays, but he was not a liability either. The Jets are

either replacing him with Stephen Peterman, a downgrade, or Brian

Winters, a rookie. I like Winters' potential a lot over the long haul,

but we cannot say how much he can contribute right off the bat. It might

be nothing. The offensive line was the one unit on the offense that was

not a glaring weakness in 2012. The unit lost both guards, and the

replacements are probably a wash in a best case scenario.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/6/26/4467246/new-york-jets-better-or-worse-on-offense-than-a-year-ago

Do you ever post about the topic or just other posters ?

Make ur case on why the offense will be better

I posted about the topic in the post before yours. Good one though, you are hilarious.

I didn't say it would be better. I said I believe the OL will be. I pretty much agree with the original post otherwise. 

I think your post is absurd, at least the part about Greene is.

The offense can be any worst , upgrade the RB with some speed , OL should be better , I think this offense is good for the QB but real problem is the wide outs ,the wide out were terrible last year and looks to be the same this year , the Jets did not upgrade any of the wide outs ,hill is going to be a bust a fast guy with no hands 

The offense will be significantly better this year. We are much better at RB, we have a better OC, Holmes will be back, Kerley is starting to break out, Hill will improve, and we may end up signing Braylon again; This is a good set of 4 WR. At TE, I don't think the loss of Keller will be that big of a deal with the addition of Winslow, and to my knowledge neither of them have been known for their blocking anyway. Not to mention, I think Cumberland has shown flashes, and will prove to be a big contributor this year. I've soured on Sanchez over the past two years, and thought we should move on from him, and while I don't believe he will ever be a superstar, I think he will play MUCH better under Marty than under Schotty or Sparano with his west coast offense that plays more into Sanchez's strengths. The OL might be a bit shaky, with the loss of two starters, but the improved running game will help offset some setbacks here I think.

LOL, oh jeezz... you can't make this sh*t up.

Why the "oh jeezz"?  Greene has done more than any of these guys.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that Greene has more yards and TDs than our entire current backfield combined.  His ypc is probably comparable, though Ivory's is legitimately higher.  I like Greene more than most people here, but will admit that having guys that can catch out of the backfield should help the O.  That is why I have some hope for MM.  OTOH, the problem with Greene wasn't Greene, it was the lack of a proper complimentary back.  

• 2 weeks later...

more re our O  dept.  :

~ ~  As the Jets’ June minicamp neared a conclusion, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said that he had “flooded” his players with a lot of information and that he wished he had more time for reps.  Mornhinweg won’t have to wait too much longer for those reps and Jets Nation hopes that the accomplished play-caller will provide the offense a much-needed lifejacket.

“We’ll certainly use the West Coast terminology, but the West Coast system is a timing, efficient, quarterback-driven type of offense that runs the ball in a physical, deceptive manner,” he said after joining the Jets.For much of the past two seasons, the offense has sprung too many leaks.   While ball security issues have been well-documented, the lack of chunk plays from the Green & White has been equally glaring.The Jets tied for last in the NFL last season with 37 giveaways and their 71 over the course of the past two seasons places them 31st overall.  On average, New York’s AFC representative turned it over 2.3 and 2.1 times a contest respectively in 2012 and 2011.But it is not like the Jets have been wheeling and dealing with a high-risk, high-reward attack.  The Jets combined to total an NFL-low 93 plays of 20 yards during that time as they dipped to 45 in ’12 after producing 48 in ’11.Teams can’t score points if they don’t have the ball.  And even if you have the football — it makes things awfully difficult when explosion plays are hard to come by.  The NFL is a points league and the Jets averaged 17.6 points a contest last season.  The offense failed to produce more than 10 points in eight games.

The Mornhinweg resume speaks for itself, having orchestrated record-setting offenses with the Eagles and the 49ers. 

“We’ll utilize many different personnel groupings and we’ll certainly use all the eligible receivers and runners,” he said.  “It’s my responsibility to get the football to our best players, our playmakers a little bit more.”The Jets’ No. 1 playmaker is busting his tail, trying to get back to full health after suffering a Grade 4 Lisfranc injury last October. “I’m excited to get him back on the field.  We’ll have a plan ready,” Mornhinweg told me of Holmes on a “Jets Talk LIVE” installment.  “We’ve already thought about it and tentatively devised the plan for him in training camp to get him to the regular season games.” 

“It’s going to be a fun season for us this year. The receivers are really loving the system,” Tone told me.  “The quarterbacks are excited to be able to step back and just throw the ball all over the field.  We definitely want to come together as a group and really rally behind our guys. Having lost so many guys, we’re going to rebuild, rebuild and rebuild, and hopefully get it together by the time training camp starts.”If Holmes isn’t ready by the start of camp, the Jets will continue to move forward and hope his progress is speedy.  While  is the team’s leading returning pass catcher, there are the great unknowns of and Clyde Gatesicon-article-link.gif.  The Jets need Hill to become a polished performer while they hope Gates can become a dependable on-field target.With nobody truly flashing at tight end during the offseason, the Jets offered Kellen Winslowicon-article-link.gif Jr. a tryout and he made an impact immediately.“You could tell that he was talented, a high level of skill and he was experienced…” Mornhinweg said.  “He’s quite confident in his abilities in talking to him and that’s the type of player that we want.”

A healthy Winslow Jr. could become the Jets No. 1 TE or at the very least push Jeff Cumberlandicon-article-link.gif.  There appears to be some capable playmakers in the backfield in Chris Ivoryicon-article-link.gif, Mike Goodsonicon-article-link.gif, Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif and Joe McKnighticon-article-link.gif.   Goodson, who faces chargers after an offseason arrest, has 4.4 speed and doesn’t need much to go a long way.“I like to make big plays.  I like to make the crowd move and find the open space,” he said.  “When it comes that time, you have to lay into some guys sometimes.”

“I’ll use all eligible runners and receivers and I’ll use the fellows that aren’t starters,” Mornhinweg said.  “If they’ve got one strength, I’ll try to utilize that somewhere during the game and quite possibly multiple times. All those things are important.”

But the biggest question for not only Mornhinweg but the entire organization is at quarterback.   Veteran Mark Sanchezicon-article-link.gif and rookie Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif don’t appear to have any separation heading into SUNY Cortland.“It’s quite a tussle.  They’re hammering it out here and they’ve both played at a high level and on a fairly consistent basis with an exception of a couple of plays in those 10 OTAs and this mandatory minicamp,” Mornhinweg told me last month.  “With the exception of a couple of plays, they both have been running and running pretty good.”

Mornhinweg, who has mentored five Pro Bowl quarterbacks in his NFL tenure, has quite a job at hand in terms of playmakers and passers.  Not only do the Jets need good news on a health standpoint with the recovering Holmes and a possibly revitalized Winslow Jr. in addition to a rapid development of Hill, Mornhinweg and QB Coach Lee will have to re-program a turnover prone veteran quarterback or get an awfully talented rookie to play in short order.The water has been rough of late for the Jets offense, but the new skipper will look for smooth seas ahead.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-insidewithea/Offense-Needs-to-Turn-the-Tide/335c6246-15c2-4424-aa1a-bdba3d4356bb

Position: Running back.

Projected starters: Chris Ivory, Lex Hilliard.

nfl_a_ivory_gb1_200.jpg
Chris Ivory is gearing up for his first season with the Jets after three years with the Saints.

Projected reserves: Mike Goodson, Bilal Powell, Joe McKnight.

New faces: Ivory, Goodson, Tommy Bohanon.

The departed: Shonn Greene.

Player to watch: Ivory, acquired in a draft-day trade with the Saints, is one of the keys to the Jets' season. With Greene gone, they need Ivory to become a 15-carries-a-game back. They see him as a poor man's Marshawn Lynch, a big, bruising runner with the ability to wear down a defense. Ivory has flashed big-time potential in small sample sizes. In 2012, his YAC (yards after contact) was an impressive 4.7 per attempt, according to Pro Football Focus. He had only 40 attempts, yet he still caused 12 missed tackles, nearly equaling Greene's total (15) in 276 attempts, per PFF. The concern with Ivory is that he's never done it for a full season, and that's nothing to take lightly at the running-back position.

Potential strength: Position coach Anthony Lynn has plenty of bodies in his stable of runners. With Ivory, Goodson, Powell and McKnight, the Jets have four experienced backs, a situation that lends itself to a committee approach. John Griffin and rookie FB Bohanon (seventh round) also are battling for roster spots. The question is, do they have any star power? This will be the first time since 1994 they enter a season without a 1,000-yard rusher on the roster. Take a moment to think about that.

Potential weakness: The offense will be predictable when Ivory is on the field. The West Coast system relies on players who can catch the ball out of the backfield, and Ivory (three career receptions) is no Marshall Faulk, that's for sure. That will handcuff coordinator Marty Mornhinweg to a certain degree. Goodson isn't as one-dimensional as Ivory, but he has the skill set of a third-down back. It'll be up to Mornhinweg and Lynn to mix and match the personnel, finding the best roles for the players while keeping defenses off balance.

Wild card: For a couple of reasons, it's Goodson. First of all, will his legal issues keep him off the field? He's still facing drug and weapon charges stemming from a May arrest. If he's available and focused (and not fumbling), Goodson could be an asset to the offense because of his speed and explosiveness. He can take a swing pass and bolt 64 yards for a touchdown, which he did last season for the Raiders. The Jets are desperate for that kind of dimension on offense. The man has skills; the question is whether he can keep his head in the game.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24215/camp-preview-running-back-2

The Mornhinweg resume speaks for itself, having orchestrated record-setting offenses with the Eagles and the 49ers. 

“We’ll utilize many different personnel groupings and we’ll certainly use all the eligible receivers and runners,” he said.  “It’s my responsibility to get the football to our best players, our playmakers a little bit more.”The Jets’ No. 1 playmaker is busting his tail, trying to get back to full health after suffering a Grade 4 Lisfranc injury last October. “I’m excited to get him back on the field.  We’ll have a plan ready,” Mornhinweg told me of Holmes on a “Jets Talk LIVE” installment.  “We’ve already thought about it and tentatively devised the plan for him in training camp to get him to the regular season games.” 

I like this.  Buck Showalter did this when he was manager of the Yankees and it kept all the players involved, motivated, kept players fresher, and created a situation where everyone truly felt a contributing part of the team, and not just practice fodder.  I think it could pay big dividends for the Jets this year in helping keep players like Ivory, Hill and Winslow healthier and fresher, and potentially help develop some of the younger players (if they're capable of developing).

Position: Running back.

The question is, do they have any star power? This will be the first time since 1994 they enter a season without a 1,000-yard rusher on the roster. Take a moment to think about that.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24215/camp-preview-running-back-2

Oh please.  This group is considerably better than the stiffs they rolled into 2006 with.  One legged Curtis Martin, Derrick Blaylock who had 53 yards the year prior, 4th round kick returner Leon Washington and "1,000 yard rusher" Kevan Barlow who they picked up for a pick right before the season.  The guy had 1,024 yards in '03 and hadn't cracked 3.5 ypc since.  He ended up out of the league in 2007.  Hell, even the Jets would have preferred non-1,000 yard rusher Lee Suggs, but he failed the physical.

Position: Wide receiver

Projected starters: Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill.

Projected reserves: Jeremy Kerley, Clyde Gates, Ben Obomanu.

nfl_u_hill_gb1_200.jpg
Stephen Hill caught 21 passes as a rookie. The Jets need a significant improvement this season.

New faces: Obomanu.

The departed: Braylon Edwards, Chaz Schilens.

Player to watch: Hill -- a no-brainer. The Jets are depending heavily on his ability to rebound from a disappointing rookie year. The physical talent is there, but aside from Week 1 against the Bills, Hill never played like a first-round talent. (He was drafted in the second round, but received a first-round grade on the Jets' draft board.)Hill must improve in all areas -- beating press coverage, sharpening his route running and, you know, catching the ball. He also has to do a better job with the ball in his hands, as he gained only 38 yards after catch on 21 receptions, per ESPN Stats & Information. In addition, his surgically repaired knee bears watching. He said last week that his reps will be monitored in camp.

Potential strength: Well, they're young. That can be a positive, right? Except for Holmes, every receiver is an ascending talent -- in theory, anyway. The question is, how much untapped potential are we talking about? Kerley, a good slot receiver with deceptive, big-play ability (14.8 yards per catch), is entering the prime of his career in Year 3. Beyond Kerley, there are question marks. Hill and Gates are young and fast, but it's time turn those assets into production.

Potential weakness: The depth is a major concern, especially with Holmes coming off foot surgery. Consider: Holmes has 358 career receptions; the rest of the unit has a combined 212, including 87 from Obomanu, a Seahawks castoff plucked off the scrap heap in May. This is their thinnest receiving corps since 2009, when they opened with Chansi Stuckey as a starter. (They traded for Edwards a month into the season.) GM John Idzik finds himself in a similar situation: He must acquire a proven talent. Even if this current cast stays healthy -- unlikely, considering its penchant for hamstring injuries -- it won't be good enough.

Wild card: Holmes and his surgically repaired foot. He's expected to begin camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list. The big question is, will he be ready by Week 1? That's the goal, but he's recovering from a Grade 4 (the most severe) LisFranc injury. There are no guarantees. You can bet Holmes won't take any unnecessary risks because he knows he probably will be a cap casualty after the season, and he doesn't want to hit free agency with a bad wheel. Without Holmes, a borderline No. 1 receiver when healthy, the Jets won't scare anyone with their perimeter passing attack.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24244/camp-preview-wide-receiver-2

You can only imagine the way Jets running back Chris Ivoryicon-article-link.gif feels right now.  After the 6’0”, 222-pounder was acquired in a draft weekend trade with the New Orleans Saints, he wasn’t permitted to hit anyone throughout 10 OTAs and a three-day minicamp.But contact will be encouraged next week at SUNY Cortland as the Jets will unleash their new-look run game and a capable RB stable at training camp. 

“I like to vertical,” Ivory said this spring.  “Not too many cuts — just one or two moves and I want to get straight up the field.  I’m real physical and I think that is something that I bring to the game is my physicality.”Ivory, who has a career-average of 5.1 yards a carry, could only do so much during the spring practices.  Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg viewed the offseason sessions as “passing camps” because linemen were required to stay on their feet and there were no bruising runs.

“Ivory is not going to shine until you put the pads on. He is a physical style back,” said head coach Rex Ryan.  “So we’re really not going to see what he’s all about until we really start putting the ball under his arm and letting him run.”In 24 career games with the Saints, Ivory averaged 10.7 rush attempts.  Stuck down on the depth chart and limited to just 12 contests the past two seasons, Ivory believes he has an opportunity for a career-breakthrough with the Green & White.“As long as I get out there and do all the things I know I can do,” he said.  “As long as I’m given the opportunities to carry the ball — 10 carries a game — I believe in myself, and I believe I can make some great things happen.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-insidewithea/Ivory-Set-for-Green-Light/2d04a7af-40b7-4a17-987f-ee9afc5bfa77

Why didn't we re-sign Slauson, Greene, and Keller? :(

Simply because none are that good.  While Slauson didn't make a lot of mental mistakes, he was only an average or slightly above average run blocker and wasn't a very good one as a pass blocker.  Greene sucks.  He has little elusiveness, and for a big back, little power to run over people or break tackles.  He's very limited as a receiver.  Keller is overrated.  He drops way too many passes, disappears in games much too often and can't block for spit.  Good riddance to all of them.

Worse across the board. Greene will be missed. Yes it will be that bad

Greene will be missed? Says who?

The Jets, at best, will be 6-10 next season. Quite frankly, if they finish 6-10 but are clearly headed in the right direction (i.e., Geno Smith and the rest of the rookies  play well and show promise), then I will be ecstatic. Realistically, 4-12 is my prediction. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if you're hoping for something better than you're in for a very painful season.

Why didn't we re-sign Slauson, Greene, and Keller? :(

Slauson was mediocre at Guard. Shonn Greene ran for 140-something yards against a 5-11 Oakland Raiders team in 2009. Since then, everyone thought he was going to be good. Rex Ryan kept thinking back to that game and kept telling himself that Greene was going to be good. John Idzik was hired as GM and actually was able to see this thing called reality, and let Greene go in the FA market. Dustin Keller was a decent catching tight end but sucked as a blocker, and yet wanted Peyton Manning money. Sorry.

Greene will be missed? Says who?

The Jets, at best, will be 6-10 next season. Quite frankly, if they finish 6-10 but are clearly headed in the right direction (i.e., Geno Smith and the rest of the rookies play well and show promise), then I will be ecstatic. Realistically, 4-12 is my prediction. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if you're hoping for something better than you're in for a very painful season.

I agree with most of this but I don't think we hit bottom yet ! I live around alot of WV fans I quizzed them on geno most thought he was ok they thought Austin was the guy there !

Archived