Training Camp Projections

Patriot Killa

QB - 

I think Mark Sanchez has this one in bag.. unfortunately unless he just bomb's in training camp, the Jets won't be willing to start Geno Smith right away.

Mark Sanchez has struggled,but so has Geno with deep ball accuracy..There isn't much to say about this battle. I think Mark win's simply because #7 is

a rookie.

Winner: Mark Sanchez

HB -

This one will be close..I don't think Mike Goodson will start because of his law troubles.. It will take a good minute to regain the organizations trust. Only way i see Goodson starting is if he just blow's the competition out of the water. Other than that he share's a nice amount of carries with the starter and is a solid back up.

On to McKnight.. this one is a wild card, he show's the dedication and love to be a New York Jet, and he is an elusive speed demon... problem is .. is where is the vision i don't think he has it in him to lead this team on the ground like he dreams of doing. But who know's ? He show's the dedication  and it IS an open competition. Bilal Powell is another wild card... but is the exact opposite of Joe McKnight. Powell has nice vision but isn't a speed back like you would want. But he is a slight upgraded version of Shonn Greene. Now the last back we have is our newest addition to running back... Chris Ivory though he has had a sketchy injury past dating back to his rookie year he is still a solid back.. He has a balance of speed,vision and power.. Only concern is, is when we talk about his injury we remind ourselves he was a 4th string running back with few carries getting injured like that. But still gives us the best chance and is the best back we have in term's of balance.

Winner: Chris Ivory

FB - 

This one is a more interesting battle than people seem to think.. our 7th round draft pick Tommy Bohanon and our re-signed Lex Hilliard will go at it hard in the trenchs to start. I think Bohanon will come away with this clean with this because he is way more versatile than Hilliard just from watching tape. Nothing much else to say Tommy B.. he is just more skilled. 

Winner: Tommy Bohanon

TE - 

This one is pretty obvious.. we just signed a nice seasoned Tight End in Kellen Winslow and if he can stay healthy and productive for at least 2 season's it would be great. We have a couple of other Tight End's including our Rugby TE who is impressive but we wouldn't have signed a seasoned tight end to play back up so. 

Winner: Kellen Winslow

WR - 

Not much of a competition here.. or explanation so here is just a quick projection of the depth chart going into the year

#1 - Santonio  Holmes 

#2 - Stephen Hill 

#3 - Jeremy Kerley 

#4 - Zach Rodger's 

#5 - Thomas Mayo

G - 

I think this battle between Peterson and Winter's will go down to the wire and Stephen Peterson will be named the starter but Winter's will get a unusual amount of snap's to get him EXP under his belt.

Winner: Stephen Peterson

S - 

We already know Dawan Landry has a starting spot over at the Strong Safety position,but at this point Free Safety is really up for grab's...

We have former 6th and 7th round pick's from 2012  John Bush and Antonio Allen.. the best player out of the 2 is Josh Bush he show's more promise but i'm not sure if he show's promise to start, that's a different story. Then we have the hard hitting rookie from D2 Rontez Miles who has a compelling story but i think he will really  have to blow mind's to win the starting job over ANY PLAYER who has a year or over under the complex Rex Ryan system.. in a win or lose season it cannot be affordable to have him out there unless he is just a absolute diamond. So i think John Bush get's this starting job.

SS - Dawan Landry

FS - John Bush

CB - 

Well we already know Antonio Cromartie will be that #1 lock down Cornerback hank the lord he has matured and stepped up on and off the field.. But the real battle is between a 4th year in Kyle Wilson  he has been a decent slot corner but as showed confusion on some play's.. some time's he show's how easily he can be man handled.. BUT then there some play's where he flashes nice talent and our first pick of the 2013 draft in Dee Milliner who fast physical corner back who can hawk you down in 0.2 seconds... but here's the problem 1.) he is a rookie(which some times doesn't matter) and 2.) He has had like 5 injuries to his arm.. So think it will come down to training camp if Dee Milliner can show he is perfectly fine and doesn't have a case of that deadly "Stephen Hill-itis" He could have a real chance to start across from Cro.. Another reason i can see Milliner starting over Wilson is just for the simple fact Dee is more physical and is bigger and is more fit for out side receivers. Wilson is a small guy and hasn't showed promise against bigger WR's.. even though it is known he has had his best offseason yet. I personally say they keep him at corner. Unless Milliner can't do it.

Winner - Dee Milliner 

What are your projection's for the training camp battles that are soon to commence ?.... 

It's Josh Bush and Stephen Peterman.

And it's more likely I start the season as the #1 WR than Holmes. And don't forget the seem to be high on Gates as well. I also expect good things from Ben Obomanu.

This.  Gates and Obomanu fill in #4-5.

The rest of it I cant argue with but I'd probably have the TE battle about the #2 spot since its pretty obvious that Winslow is #1.

what about Jaquan Jarrett?  He still on the roster?  Because he was a favorite of mine coming out of college.  One of the best tackling safeties I've seen in a long time.  Plays the position like a linebacker.  He'd be my dark horse at safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCQkoIZOFg

First off i didn't mean to thumb down your post lol.. but yeah i forgot to mention him, but he was on my mind ! lol.. well we got him off waviers ? i think from Eagles and he was a tremendous player but he really wasn't able to translate maybe he can turn that around i like him a lot to though.

Ivory and Goodson aren't competing with each other, they're there to compliment each other. Ivory will carry the bulk of the load on the ground, and Goodson will be the third down back. Powell is the 'tweener who can back up both positions. McKnight is in a serious fight for a roster spot.

Not sure Bohanan and Hilliard are in a battle, either. Hilliard is more of a traditional FB, while Bohannan might be more of an H-back. Although these two and McKnight might be fighting for the last roster spot at RB when all is said and done.

Even though on one hand I think they'd love for Smith to be able to start, OTOH, I think they don't want to rush Smith, so unless Sanchez totally spits the bit in TC, I think he'll start the season with Smith starting by mid-season.

HB - What slats said

FB - Hilliard was pretty bad last year.  Even though Bohanan may be more of an H-Back type, I don't think they'll carry two FB types.  They can save some cap space and gain a valuable roster spot by jettisoning Hilliard.  I give the nod to Bohanon unless he proves not up to the task as a rookie.

TE - I think there's no doubt that Winslow was signed to start, but I think they'll limit his number of snaps to try to keep him healthy, so Cumberland will see a lot of snaps.  I think probably all 4 make the roster unless there's a tough decision for the final spot or two.  In that case, they may try to sneak Smith on the PS unless he lights it up in TC.

WR - Holmes may never play another down.  If he does, it may not be until mid-season or next year for another team.  I'm not convinced that Hill 1) is healthy, 2) is capable of running the right routes, and 3) has NFL quality hands.  He got little experience last year, so he's practically still a raw rookie.  I don't think there's any way they'd go with Kerley, Rodgers and Mayo if Holmes and Hill are still unable to play or ineffective (in Hill's case).  I definitely think Obamanu and Gates make the team due to their experience.  I think the only way they both don't make the team is if they flop in TC or if Gates can't stay healthy.   Rodgers may make the team as well.  Holmes may start the season on the PUP list (if he's eligible).  If not, they may be forced to have at least 6 WRs on the roster.

Unless Peterman's a lot better than he displayed with the Lions last year, he'll be lucky to make the team, much less start.  If Colon's healthy, he'll nail down one starting spot.  I wouldn't bet against Winters winning the other spot, but the nod may go to Vlad with the other starting spot.

S - Based on what we've heard so far, it sounds as if Bush would win the other starting S spot opposite Landry, but I hold out some hopes for Jarrett as well.  This may be an area where the Jets sign a camp cut to start opposite Landry.

CB - If all things are equal, I think Milliner would win the competition and start, but if he can't get and stay healthy or if he struggles, then they may elect to go with Wilson.  Wilson has experience as the slot corner, so I think probably they're hoping (and expecting) that Milliner will win the starting spot and Wilson will be the slot corner.

You didn't mention OLB.  I really hope that Pace won't start.  Barnes is more of a situational pass rusher.  So I'm hoping that both Coples and Sapp excel at the OLB spots in TC and nail down the starting positions.  Pace could be a rotational player and veteran depth as would McIntyre. 

I think it will also be interesting to see who wins the starting NT job.  I would think their plan is for Ellis to start.  I hope the quote the other day was accurate that the light is going on with Ellis.  If it does, he could be a beast.  I think Richardson, Big Snacks and Garay will all see time at the NT spot however, and the DL will constantly be in different alignments to confuse opponents and keep the players fresh.  I'm really excited about the potential of the DL.

Ivory and Goodson aren't competing with each other, they're there to compliment each other. Ivory will carry the bulk of the load on the ground, and Goodson will be the third down back. Powell is the 'tweener who can back up both positions. McKnight is in a serious fight for a roster spot.

Not sure Bohanan and Hilliard are in a battle, either. Hilliard is more of a traditional FB, while Bohannan might be more of an H-back. Although these two and McKnight might be fighting for the last roster spot at RB when all is said and done.

Yeah, despite how much the Jets' offseason moves at HB have caused many to dismiss Powell, I think he's really the perfect thing for this team.  While he's certainly not a big-time playmaker, he's solid if unspectacular in pretty much all aspects of his game, and given the health concerns that come along with both Ivory and Goodson, he is the perfect insurance policy to have on this team.  I agree on McKnight, but I think he'll ultimately fall into that category of competing for one of those last "up for grabs" roster spots that will go to the best player left, regardless of position, which is where his abilities on special teams have some potential to help him out significantly.  Not to mention, there's also a chance that if anything comes up during camp which gives the Jets cause for concern when it comes to either Ivory (health) or Goodson (health or legal), his chances of sticking can quickly go up.  Also, given how Idzik has handled his business to date, don't dismiss the possibility of McKnight edging out another bottom roster guy being helped by the fact that if they let him play out his contract they could potentially earn themselves more comp picks.

While I agree Bohanan and Hilliard aren't necessarily the same type of player, I still think Hilliard could easily lose his job because of Bohanan.  I think the idea/hope is that Bohanan can be a more diverse player while also filling into the FB position when the need calls for it.  Very few teams these days commit a position on their roster to a full-time FB, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets want to take a similar approach going forward.

Archived