Mike Holmgren Believes Sanchez Will Have Fine Year

flgreen

Mike Holmgren believes Mark Sanchez will have “fine year” for Jets

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 2, 2013, 1:08 AM EDT

Mark SanchezAP

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is coming off arguably his worst season of his career.

Sanchez completed just 54-percent of his passes with just 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season. Sanchez also fumbled 14 times with eight lost to the opposing team. While he has delivered two trips to the AFC Championship game, he’s far from lived up his Top 10 draft pick status in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Yet former Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren still sees some potential in the beleaguered Jets’ quarterback.

Holmgren joined the Dave “Softy” Mahler show on 950 KJR-AM in Seattle last week and discussed what he foresees from Sanchez this season.

“I think actually he’s going to have a fine year,” Holmgren said.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg played quarterback for Holmgren in high school and later served as an assistant coach alongside Holmgren with the Green Bay Packers. Holmgren was high on Sanchez coming out of college at USC and he believes Mornhinweg be the guy that can get Sanchez to take advantage of his passing mechanics.

“I just liked his mechanics coming out of college. I really liked his mechanics,” Holmgren said. “He would be one of those guys – I know he’s taken a lot of flack and a lot of heat – but he would have been one of those guys if I was still coaching I would really like to coach.”

From the shadow of Tim Tebow, to the Butt Fumble and the video of Sanchez baring his backside last week, the past year will be one Sanchez will want to quickly put behind him. With some of the distractions no longer in place, Holmgren thinks Sanchez can produce for the Jets.

“(Last year) was like the perfect storm. I just think he’s a better player than that,” Holmgren.

Mark SanchezAP

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is coming off arguably his worst season of his career.

Sanchez completed just 54-percent of his passes with just 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season. Sanchez also fumbled 14 times with eight lost to the opposing team. While he has delivered two trips to the AFC Championship game, he’s far from lived up his Top 10 draft pick status in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Yet former Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren still sees some potential in the beleaguered Jets’ quarterback.

Holmgren joined the Dave “Softy” Mahler show on 950 KJR-AM in Seattle last week and discussed what he foresees from Sanchez this season.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg played quarterback for Holmgren in high school and later served as an assistant coach alongside Holmgren with the Green Bay Packers. Holmgren was high on Sanchez coming out of college at USC and he believes Mornhinweg be the guy that can get Sanchez to take advantage of his passing mechanics.

“I just liked his mechanics coming out of college. I really liked his mechanics,” Holmgren said. “He would be one of those guys – I know he’s taken a lot of flack and a lot of heat – but he would have been one of those guys if I was still coaching I would really like to coach.”

From the shadow of Tim Tebow, to the Butt Fumble and the video of Sanchez baring his backside last week, the past year will be one Sanchez will want to quickly put behind him. With some of the distractions no longer in place, Holmgren thinks Sanchez can produce for the Jets.

“(Last year) was like the perfect storm. I just think he’s a better player than that,” Holmgren.

*fires shots across the bow of the USS REXISADUMBFAT*****

Holmgrem is out of the NFL for a reason, the game has passed him by. The only thing he ever did in football was luck into getting Favre as his QB.

Unless he means that Sanchez will be fine as Genos backup. Even then I don't think he holds a clipboard the right way

Holmgrem is out of the NFL for a reason, the game has passed him by. The only thing he ever did in football was luck into getting Favre as his QB.

Unless he means that Sanchez will be fine as Genos backup. Even then I don't think he holds a clipboard the right way

Oh, okay.

Good grief guys.... Morninwheg is Holmgren's buddy, Holmgren is just helping posture for the inevitable conclusion to the post-season: Mark Sanchez will be named the starter.

Holmgren is just dropping comments like this because it helps Morninwheg take less of a whipping in the media and by the fans, when a high profile coach supports the decision publicly. 

I can't believe you turds take this at face value. It's politics yo!

Good grief guys.... Morninwheg is Holmgren's buddy, Holmgren is just helping posture for the inevitable conclusion to the post-season: Mark Sanchez will be named the starter.

Holmgren is just dropping comments like this because it helps Morninwheg take less of a whipping in the media and by the fans, when a high profile coach supports the decision publicly. 

I can't believe how offended some seem to be at the notion that Holmgren disagrees with them. 

Don't get that logic.

if it were politics he would be talking about how much Sanchez sucks to cover his buddy's butt when the passing game falls apart

Don't get that logic.

if it were politics he would be talking about how much Sanchez sucks to cover his buddy's butt when the passing game falls apart

That would display a defeatist attitude. Something career NFL guys don't do. Looks bad to future employers.

Mark SanchezAP

Who asked him?  And what is he basing it on?  Last year? What about 2009-2011?  Perfect storm.  Sanchez was the perfect storm.

If you read his quotes, he's saying, "I liked him as a prospect, and if I was coaching him he would be good." Typical egomaniac head coach-speak. They all think their scouting is flawless and that their coaching can save any player.

Mark SanchezAP

Someone's probably already said this, but if Holmgren likes Sanchez that much, let's see what he'll offer the Jets for Sanchez.

He probably will, but until it actually happens everyone has every single right to keep bashing him. Until he actually does, Sanchez is a sack licker who sucks to unimaginable levels at his job. 

I'm glad to see that you finally admit it.  ;-)

If you read his quotes, he's saying, "I liked him as a prospect, and if I was coaching him he would be good." Typical egomaniac head coach-speak. They all think their scouting is flawless and that their coaching can save any player.

That was my take. I took that comment at 100% face value. When the Jets and Sanchez part ways, there will be another coach who will think he can fix him. And another after that.

Yep.  And that's why someone will undoubtedly pick up Sanchez after this season and try to turn him into a backup Jeff Garcia.

Someone's probably already said this, but if Holmgren likes Sanchez that much, let's see what he'll offer the Jets for Sanchez.

Probably won't have to offer anything.

Sounds like he is applying for the Jets HC job maybe.   Maybe if he gets it he'll extend Sanchez

Probably won't have to offer anything.

Sounds like he is applying for the Jets HC job maybe.   Maybe if he gets it he'll extend Sanchez

He turned down Dick Steinberg all those years ago.

I can't believe how offended some seem to be at the notion that Holmgren disagrees with them. 

Yep. Buncha ******* cry babies, it's amazing that grown ass men are the ones behind all these posts.

Don't get that logic.

It was said partially tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, Marty may have told Holmgren he's going to have to start Sanchez - and Holmgren might just be trying to give a passive vote of confidence to keep the fans someone sane when they find out.

That, or it's an even deeper, darker level of psychology, and Holmgren is praising Sanchez, so that when Geno gets to be the starter... fans are like "ZOMG Holmgren sez Sanchez iz gud so Geno iz BEAST"

However you want me to spin it, I'll find a way. Since it's pretty much meaningless sh*t that most here over-react to. LOL

That, or it's an even deeper, darker level of psychology, and Holmgren is praising Sanchez, so that when Geno gets to be the starter... fans are like "ZOMG Holmgren sez Sanchez iz gud so Geno iz BEAST"

However you want me to spin it, I'll find a way. Since it's pretty much meaningless sh*t that most here over-react to. LOL

That's the spirit.

Keep up the good work

My lack of respect for Sanchez is well documented here but hey, Holmgren thinks he's good. I'm no expert and he is so why not hope he's right?

Stranger things in sports have happened no?

Seeing as he is most likely going to be the opening day starter, this is probably the healthiest way to look at it. 

Weird.  I thought that mentality was exclusive to Rex Ryan.  

Archived