NY Jets Week One Starting Quarterback: Geno Smith

JetNation

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I'm not so sure about this one.  In the long term I don't think anyone would argue with this theory, but for week one in it is far from a sure thing.  The simple reason why is that this team, at QB, has absolutely become all about doing what is best for Geno Smith.  If they believe that Geno isn't going to be ready for week 1 and that throwing him out there anyway has the potential to hurt him more than it helps, they'll suck it up and throw Sanchez to the wolves for a while until they think Geno is ready.  Forget Rex, guys like Idzik and Mornhinweg aren't going to be willing to see this team start repeating the mistakes made before they were around.  The Jets gave Sanchez the starting job on a silver platter in his rookie year, with absolutely no real competition or need for him to earn the job, a decision I think they have no intention of repeating with Geno.

At this point Sanchez is still around simply to be a potential placeholder, and that's only because the hope of Garrard being that guy didn't work out for them.  Sanchez has no long-term future with this team, but as much as I hate the idea of ever seeing him out on the field again, there's still a chance the team could feel it is in their best interests to go with him first, not because of what he brings to the table, but simply because it might be the right decision for Geno.  This so-called "competition" isn't really designed to show the team which is the better QB, it's designed to show the team whether or not Geno is ready to be a starting QB in the NFL right now.  That will be the one and only thing that will drive this team's decision-making process.

Sanchez has no long-term future with this team, but as much as I hate the idea of ever seeing him out on the field again, there's still a chance the team could feel it is in their best interests to go with him first, not because of what he brings to the table, but simply because it might be the right decision for Geno.

Rather than thinking there's a chance of it playing out like this, I think this is the most likely scenario.

Contrary to the article's final sentence, there are a lot of reasons to sit Geno. At least for a month or two.

Rather than thinking there's a chance of it playing out like this, I think this is the most likely scenario.

Contrary to the article's final sentence, there are a lot of reasons to sit Geno. At least for a month or two.

+1

Geno needs to be the clear-cut winner in camp if he's going to be the starter on Opening Day.  If the competition in camp and the preseason is close, go with Sanchez until Geno is ready.  It's better for the team long term to not rush things.

the last time Geno played meaningful football he was being stymied by Syracuse's awesome D.. 

Wasn't his best game, but he did complete 68% of his passes in that game. If he can be accurate like that in Marty's system, he could do well. 

We already know Sanchez's college accuracy didn't translate to the NFL, hopefully Geno will have better results in that area.

Wasn't his best game, but he did complete 68% of his passes in that game. If he can be accurate like that in Marty's system, he could do well. 

We already know Sanchez's college accuracy didn't translate to the NFL, hopefully Geno will have better results in that area.

If this is true, I'll take Stymie, Spanky, Buckwheat, Wheezer, all of them mofos.

LOL you edited your post as I was replying.

he also took 2 safeties. How does a QB take 2 safeties in the same game? It's Sanchez-esque.

If this is true, I'll take Stymie, Spanky, Buckwheat, Wheezer, all of them mofos.

LOL you edited your post as I was replying.

Yea, I fugged up a little bit on the first post. Had to make some changes. 

he also took 2 safeties. How does a QB take 2 safeties in the same game? It's Sanchez-esque.

Geno should be commended for not handing 2 TDs over to the opposing defense. That would be Sanchez-eque.  Lol

I'm wondering if you watched that game?

Even after his very mediocre second half of the season, I was still holding out some hope that Smith might be a viable option  for the Jets at 9.

After the game I had given up on him.  Saying it wasn't his best game is mild.   At 39 I'm OK I guess, just not real confident

Throw him to the fire, and let him learn on the job. If he is going to succeed, he has to learn sooner or later.. and from the sidelines ain't where to do it from.

if he were an NFL ready QB I would agree.  He is very far from that.  If they just throw him in there he will develop all kinds of bad habits out of survival, and more then likely be out of the league in 5 years

if he were an NFL ready QB I would agree.  He is very far from that.  If they just throw him in there he will develop all kinds of bad habits out of survival, and more then likely be out of the league in 5 years

the reason why he dropped to 39 is cause he's not ready for prime time. . . JMO. He has talent, but he has to be brought along carefully.

Besides isn't handing a job to a player that he didn't earn a mistake they made with Sanchez? If Geno doesn't legitimately beat out Mark, he doesn't deserve to start. 

........during 48 regular season games, the Eagles quarterbacks [under Mornhinweg] threw the ball 30 or more times in 40 of those contest... 

...Mark Sanchez is 14-20 for his career when attempting 30 or more passes (.41 winning percentage) and only 5-11 (.31 winning percentage) during his last two seasons..... 

So by the author's own figures, Sanchez was 9-9 his first two years in games he threw 30 or more times.

Not great, not terrible.  Of course, back then he had people to throw to.

the reason why he dropped to 39 is cause he's not ready for prime time. . . JMO. He has talent, but he has to be brought along carefully.

Besides isn't handing a job to a player that he didn't earn a mistake they made with Sanchez? If Geno doesn't legitimately beat out Mark, he doesn't deserve to start. 

The reason he fell is cause everyone doubted his accuracy with the long ball. 

"At this point Sanchez is still around simply to be a potential placeholder, and that's only because the hope of Garrard being "that guy didn't work out for them.  Sanchez has no long-term future with this team, but as much as I hate the idea of ever seeing him out on the field again, there's still a chance the team could feel it is in their best interests to go with him first, not because of what he brings to the table, but simply because it might be the right decision for Geno."

I totally agree with you, Bleedin' Green. Jets fans will suffer this year, no doubt, but at least it will be somewhat of a "rebuilding/allowing contracts to expire". Sanchez is definitely going to start by default. I never thought it was quite fair to start a rookie QB on day 1 - there's just too much to learn when you're a rookie in the NFL playing the most important offensive position on the field.

The only question for me is the one BG just put out there: will the Jets new upper management be willing to throw Geno on the field when Sanchez begins spewing out his suckiness, or, since it's a rebuilding year anyway (and let's face reality this year, I think if the Jets win six games this year they should consider it a successful year), give Sanchez the dignity of starting some games for one more season before going to the announcing booth on ESPN4 and give Geno a limited amount of reps so he can learn.

Either way, Sanchez will definitely be the starter in the season opener.

I'm wondering if you watched that game?

Even after his very mediocre second half of the season, I was still holding out some hope that Smith might be a viable option  for the Jets at 9.

After the game I had given up on him.  Saying it wasn't his best game is mild.   At 39 I'm OK I guess, just not real confident

Yea, I watched Geno quite a bit last season and saw worse, so its all relative. 

If it took you that long to give up on him as a top ten pick, you must not have been watching very closely prior to that. He proved he wasn't worthy of a top ten selection way before that game.

Have Geno learn on the job.  If we had a GOOD QB, I would be along the lines of sitting him.  But we don't...what the hell can Geno learn from Sanchez besides 'do everything exactly the opposite of what I do'?  Seriously...start Geno.  We need to see how he does in games where there is pressure.  Not games against freaking draft bowl opponents like Cleveland and Oakland...

Sanchez is a broken man...end of story

Have Geno learn on the job. If we had a GOOD QB, I would be along the lines of sitting him. But we don't...what the hell can Geno learn from Sanchez besides 'do everything exactly the opposite of what I do'? Seriously...start Geno. We need to see how he does in games where there is pressure. Not games against freaking draft bowl opponents like Cleveland and Oakland...

Sanchez is a broken man...end of story

He can watch from the side and get a feel for the speed of the game.

Totally agree.  

So by the author's own figures, Sanchez was 9-9 his first two years in games he threw 30 or more times.

Not great, not terrible.  Of course, back then he had people to throw to.

Sanchez was actually good in maybe 2-3 of those 18 games (and even then he wasn't good start to finish, as he is/was pretty famous for).  The D and special teams and ground game won most of those games for us & Sanchez went along for the ride. And that doesn't even count that two of those losses the D gave up 10 points or less.

But dressing up history, to make Sanchez sound better in hindsight than he actually was, is hardly the point of the thread.  If Geno can't beat out Sanchez, he shouldn't be starting.  It's as simple as that.  

i am on the fence with this one. heart says please start geno, can't stomach another season with sanchez. head says let this team work out some kinks before throwing the kid to the wolves. if geno is even or slightly better than sanchez in camp and still doesn't start despite undoubtedly having much more upside, will tell us a lot about rex's confidence level on keeping his job.

Archived