NY Jets Week One Starting Quarterback: Geno Smith

JetNation

Idzik may be Rex's boss but Woody is Idzik's boss. And Woody has a lot more invested in Sanchez than in Geno Smith.

I think a "tie" definitely goes to Sanchez for this reason and because of team morale reasons. Sanchez does have friends on the team, and players I'll bet don't (as a group) think highly of losing their jobs to players who haven't outperformed them in direct competitions.

I despise seeing Sanchez out there. And IMO as long as he's on the team he's the incumbent starter and he doesn't lose his job to someone who hasn't beaten him out for the job.

But I can understand the rationale that if they're tied now that means Geno is already better.

But what will matter more to Woody: trying to squeeze some ROI out of a QB that has become a national joke (Buttfumble replays on every SportsCenter), or placating an increasingly ambivalent fanbase by switching to Geno? God help us if Woody is going to weigh in on this, by the way. Hopefully Idzik has enough juice to slam the door in his face.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really the dilemma, isn't it? It's not in Rex's interest to try and develop Geno, but if he thinks this team is destined for four wins regardless, he could potentially play Geno and pin all the losses on having a rookie QB. This might come down to Idzik forcing Rex's hand as to who starts Day One, because Rex has conflicting interests here.

I think the only way Rex has a conflict of interest is that if Mark remains ahead of Geno throughout the year, but Idzik wants Geno on the field regardless. In this unattractive scenario, Rex still gets to blame Geno for the losses. So it's not all bad for him. And this wouldn't be an opening day issue, this would be a bye week issue. Idzik isn't going to make Rex send a Geno who's worse than Sanchez out there on opening day.

The alternative would be if Geno is beating out Mark, but for some reason Idzik doesn't want him on the field - but that seems unlikely.

But again, I think this is already decided. Sanchez will be the opening day starter unless Geno has some sort of miraculous breakthrough in training camp. Geno will have a few plays he can run, and they'll trot him out there to run them to get his feet wet. And then he'll take over at some point towards the middle of the year - unless Sanchez has had some sort of miraculous breakthrough.

I think the only way Rex has a conflict of interest is that if Mark remains ahead of Geno throughout the year, but Idzik wants Geno on the field regardless. In this unattractive scenario, Rex still gets to blame Geno for the losses. So it's not all bad for him. And this wouldn't be an opening day issue, this would be a bye week issue. Idzik isn't going to make Rex send a Geno who's worse than Sanchez out there on opening day.

The alternative would be if Geno is beating out Mark, but for some reason Idzik doesn't want him on the field - but that seems unlikely.

But again, I think this is already decided. Sanchez will be the opening day starter unless Geno has some sort of miraculous breakthrough in training camp. Geno will have a few plays he can run, and they'll trot him out there to run them to get his feet wet. And then he'll take over at some point towards the middle of the year - unless Sanchez has had some sort of miraculous breakthrough.

Unless Rex has some guarantee from Idzik regarding his job security, I think the handling of Geno represents a huge conflict of interest, potentially. Rex has two routes to keeping his job: 1. Getting 7+ wins, or 2. Finding a scapegoat for having fewer than 7 wins.

As of right now, Sanchez probably gives him the best chance at winning seven, especially with the meat-grinder early schedule. At the same time, letting Geno go out and get his ass kicked by the Pats and Saints and Steelers gives him a built-in excuse for losing by 20 per, even if it means screwing up Geno in the process.

You really think Rex is thinking like that-"If I do this I'll have a better chance of keeping my job because I can blame the losses on the rookie"?

He didn't get to the position he is by thinking scared and inhibited.

I think Rex is out to keep his job the only way he knows how to-by putting the best team he can out in the field.  It would be against his nature to do something because it conceivably might give him an excuse after the season fails.

Maybe.  I just can't imagine Rex is going to be stubbornly loyal to Sanchez when there's a decent chance the kid is getting him fired after the season.  New regimes mean new QB's and Rex HAS to recognize this.  If Sanchez starts Week 1 he'd better have a very short leash unless Geno is simply overwhelmed by NFL defenses (in which case he's probably not the guy anyways and it'll be nice to have a large sample size to go on heading into the 2014 draft).

The only person getting Rex fired is REX .

If he has any responsibility at all even in the least bit as to why this team sh*t all over its offense the past 3 + years then its on him. He's the Head Coach. Whether it was Sanchez, the Offense as a whole, the Offensive coordinators, it was all about Rex.

Just because Rex is a damn good DC does not give him a free pass to be a terrible head coach. I know a lot of people on this board do not want to lose Rex as the HC simply because of his Defensive Genius but there is more that goes into head coaching and Rex has failed miserably in just about every single category except defensive coaching.

His entire outlook on the game is Warped IMHO just like his dads. Its also why Dad Failed as a HC and Rex will follow in his footsteps.

Rex may excel again in this league but it will most certainly be as a Defensive Coordinator not as a Head Coach. No owner or GM want the sh*t sh*t Rex has put together in NY and when he does hook up as a DC for someone else he will certainly be under a Parcells type gag order.

Sanchez wins the job. Because that is what hall of famers do.

When you a troll makes a forum, does he want other trolls to join or does he try to hope for innocent noobs to join so he can keep on trolling in his own universe?

+1

After last season, you'd think he would stay out of the limelight. He's either immature, or he knows his 15 minutes is almost up, and is enjoying it while he still can.

Come on guys, he was drinking wine at his house. Not patrolling Hollywood clubs for hookers and blow.

If hanging with girls who like to smoke e-cigs, drink wine and dance to music makes Mark a party boy, call me Charlie Sheen.

If he has any responsibility at all even in the least bit as to why this team sh*t all over its offense the past 3 + years then its on him. He's the Head Coach. Whether it was Sanchez, the Offense as a whole, the Offensive coordinators, it was all about Rex.

Just because Rex is a damn good DC does not give him a free pass to be a terrible head coach. I know a lot of people on this board do not want to lose Rex as the HC simply because of his Defensive Genius but there is more that goes into head coaching and Rex has failed miserably in just about every single category except defensive coaching.

His entire outlook on the game is Warped IMHO just like his dads. Its also why Dad Failed as a HC and Rex will follow in his footsteps.

Rex may excel again in this league but it will most certainly be as a Defensive Coordinator not as a Head Coach. No owner or GM want the sh*t sh*t Rex has put together in NY and when he does hook up as a DC for someone else he will certainly be under a Parcells type gag order.

The HC's job is to win as many games as possible.  In that respect he's above .500 in the NFL.  How is that "failing miserably"?  The absolute worst you can say about Rex is that he's an above average HC.  If that isn't good enough, or if the team "fails miserably" this year, then that's a discussion I'm willing to have.

Unless Rex has some guarantee from Idzik regarding his job security, I think the handling of Geno represents a huge conflict of interest, potentially. Rex has two routes to keeping his job: 1. Getting 7+ wins, or 2. Finding a scapegoat for having fewer than 7 wins.

As of right now, Sanchez probably gives him the best chance at winning seven, especially with the meat-grinder early schedule. At the same time, letting Geno go out and get his ass kicked by the Pats and Saints and Steelers gives him a built-in excuse for losing by 20 per, even if it means screwing up Geno in the process.

No way, man.

Head coaches have egos, and that's tied to the W/L record associated with their name. I guarantee Rex is aware of his personal coaching stats. He's an egomaniac, and is definitely more concerned with showing the NFL what he could do with his team of misfit journeymen and butt-fumblers, by kicking the leagues ass, and bringing his team to play in a home SB. Moreso at least, than he is with finding built-in excuses for a losing season, via scapegoating,

Playing an unready rookie does two things: [1] makes it impossible (barring injury) to go back to Mark. [2] would just further demonstrate incompetence as a HC, giving Idzik free reign to build his team from the top-down by firing him. Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to have a handshake extension on the table.

Rex has ONE way to keep his job. Field a team with a top-5 defense, a trending offense that finishes respectably (I'd say middle of the pack), and scrape together enough comeback-from-behind wins through his ra ra halftime speeches to keep the Jets in a positive light. I'd say 9 or 10 wins makes him unfireable; especially if we squeak into the playoffs.

If not, I imagine Idzik is biting at the chomp to talk a QB-guru like Jon Gruden to come out of retirement, and hand pick his franchise QB next year with the allurement of $50M+ in cap to spend on groceries.

At this point I think Geno will take over during the season probably mid way through.

As for the stats in the Original post they are basically meaningless to any QB. When a QB has to throw much more than his average he is usually playing from behind to begin with and he's most likely facing some type of prevent defense inflating his stats. Most of the time when a QB is in this situation he loses . Its much better to judge a QB in games that are close where a balanced offense is in play. Only problem is when Sanchez plays in this situation of coming from behind he still can't  put together a solid drive. Recent events with Sanchez have me questioning his dedication and maturity. When you play as bad as he did last year you would think  he takes this off season very seriously but that does not seem to be the case, even after a poor performance in OTA's and Mini camps. Lerning a new offense requires a lot of study from a QB he needs to know ALL the plays and What every player is doing yet he finds time to party and act like an idiot ? Sorry but while some may find his partying to be a small issue I find it to be a big one and Im beginning to lose respect for him by the day. 

+ 1.  It wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't suck so much and was clearly putting in the hours to improve. 

No way, man.

Head coaches have egos, and that's tied to the W/L record associated with their name. I guarantee Rex is aware of his personal coaching stats. He's an egomaniac, and is definitely more concerned with showing the NFL what he could do with his team of misfit journeymen and butt-fumblers, by kicking the leagues ass, and bringing his team to play in a home SB. Moreso at least, than he is with finding built-in excuses for a losing season, via scapegoating,

Playing an unready rookie does two things: [1] makes it impossible (barring injury) to go back to Mark. [2] would just further demonstrate incompetence as a HC, giving Idzik free reign to build his team from the top-down by firing him. Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to have a handshake extension on the table.

Rex has ONE way to keep his job. Field a team with a top-5 defense, a trending offense that finishes respectably (I'd say middle of the pack), and scrape together enough comeback-from-behind wins through his ra ra halftime speeches to keep the Jets in a positive light. I'd say 9 or 10 wins makes him unfireable; especially if we squeak into the playoffs.

If not, I imagine Idzik is biting at the chomp to talk a QB-guru like Jon Gruden to come out of retirement, and hand pick his franchise QB next year with the allurement of $50M+ in cap to spend on groceries.

Rex has to know he has about a 30% chance of keeping his job. He's going to spend the next six months creating enough plausible deniability regarding his role in the Jets collapse as possible.

Rex has to know he has about a 30% chance of keeping his job. He's going to spend the next six months creating enough plausible deniability regarding his role in the Jets collapse as possible.

I don't think finger pointing will be enough to save his job. If Geno starts, it will be because Rex sincerely thinks the kid will win, and save him his job through winning, not save him his job through losing, cause you know, hey, the rookie couldnt cut it but I'm still a helluva coach...and he's well, a rookie.

I really, truly believe, Rex hates losing and will do everything he can to turn this team around.

Come on guys, he was drinking wine at his house. Not patrolling Hollywood clubs for hookers and blow.

If hanging with girls who like to smoke e-cigs, drink wine and dance to music makes Mark a party boy, call me Charlie Sheen.

I understand he's young and having his fun, but you'd think he would be a bit more focused on getting his career back on track, instead of getting caught with his pants down (literally).

I understand he's young and having his fun, but you'd think he would be a bit more focused on getting his career back on track, instead of getting caught with his pants down (literally).

One glimpse (a very mild one at that) of his off-season unwinding, doesn't mean he isn't putting in an 8-10 hour workday lifting weights, and studying his playbook. I'm sure even the top-5 QBs in the league have found a way to spend time with their families at Disneyland, or a cruise to Hawaii; It's healthy to not obsess with work 24 hrs a day.

However, from all accounts I've read, Mark is a very hard worker...and very much a student of the game. Maybe he just sucks at football, eh?

Last year at the end of the season Woody was ready to fire Rex, Tannenbaum, or both.  Rex won.

A bad year this year and no degree of plausible deniability saves his job.

If the team starts off badly under Sanchez and then Geno comes in and plays .500 he might survive on the grounds that he made the switch at QB and now the club is on track with the rookie, despite a losing record  early in the year.  Then he might survive an under .500 record.

At this point I think Geno will take over during the season probably mid way through.

As for the stats in the Original post they are basically meaningless to any QB. When a QB has to throw much more than his average he is usually playing from behind to begin with and he's most likely facing some type of prevent defense inflating his stats. Most of the time when a QB is in this situation he loses . Its much better to judge a QB in games that are close where a balanced offense is in play. Only problem is when Sanchez plays in this situation of coming from behind he still can't  put together a solid drive. Recent events with Sanchez have me questioning his dedication and maturity. When you play as bad as he did last year you would think  he takes this off season very seriously but that does not seem to be the case, even after a poor performance in OTA's and Mini camps. Lerning a new offense requires a lot of study from a QB he needs to know ALL the plays and What every player is doing yet he finds time to party and act like an idiot ? Sorry but while some may find his partying to be a small issue I find it to be a big one and Im beginning to lose respect for him by the day. 

This^^^^^^

I just meant in regard to the mitigating factors involved with starting a rookie, Geno Smith will have to be far superior to Sanchez for Rex to consider starting him when the lights come on for real.

We're in total agreement on this.

That's really the dilemma, isn't it? It's not in Rex's interest to try and develop Geno, but if he thinks this team is destined for four wins regardless, he could potentially play Geno and pin all the losses on having a rookie QB. This might come down to Idzik forcing Rex's hand as to who starts Day One, because Rex has conflicting interests here.

Good point.

It's win-win or lose-lose for Rex depending on your viewpoint.  Idzik probably wants the best guy to start Week 1, but if that isn't clear, what's in the best interests of the team, Rex, and Idzik?  Is it a "tie goes to Sanchez" by default, or is it "tie goes to Geno", since a rookie QB being equal to the 4-year starter makes Geno the better choice?

Too many variables to really say which way this goes with any certainty.

True.

I think the offensive line SHOULD at least be able to keep the kid upright, which is half the battle.  Moving the sticks is another story entirely.

Anytime changes are made on the OL, it takes time for them to develop chemistry together or "gel."  With two changes on the OL and there being a real competition for both spots, I think there's a real chance it will take longer than normal for the OL to gel.  That's why I think it best that unless Geno plays lights out and demolishes Sanchez in TC that Sanchez start.  Let him take the beating and lumps rather than Geno until the OL gels.

But what will matter more to Woody: trying to squeeze some ROI out of a QB that has become a national joke (Buttfumble replays on every SportsCenter), or placating an increasingly ambivalent fanbase by switching to Geno? God help us if Woody is going to weigh in on this, by the way. Hopefully Idzik has enough juice to slam the door in his face.

Agreed.  If Woody doesn't have enough sense to let Idzik (the man he hired to do the job) actually do the job, then God help us all, because Idzik won't stay for long and put up with that crap, and will be back to a Tanny clone as the next GM.

You really think Rex is thinking like that-"If I do this I'll have a better chance of keeping my job because I can blame the losses on the rookie"?

He didn't get to the position he is by thinking scared and inhibited.

I think Rex is out to keep his job the only way he knows how to-by putting the best team he can out in the field.  It would be against his nature to do something because it conceivably might give him an excuse after the season fails.

He may not have gotten the HC job with the Jets by thinking scared and inhibited, but he most certainly has exhibited that kind of thinking as HC of the Jets.  There have been numerous times he has settled for a FG rather than being more aggressive and going for a TD in tight games, particularly in the 4th Qtr.  That's one of the major reasons I lost so much respect for him.  He talks tough, but when the going gets tough, he wusses out.  He's just a blowhard coward.

Amen!!!  Well said.

I think he did the "dancing with the honey's" thing on purpose. Give the media something other than the "buttfumble" thing to run about him for awhile.

Last year at the end of the season Woody was ready to fire Rex, Tannenbaum, or both.  Rex won.

A bad year this year and no degree of plausible deniability saves his job.

If the team starts off badly under Sanchez and then Geno comes in and plays .500 he might survive on the grounds that he made the switch at QB and now the club is on track with the rookie, despite a losing record  early in the year.  Then he might survive an under .500 record.

What makes you think that Woody was ready to fire Rex?   I specifically remember Woody's loyalty to Rex being mentioned as a strong possibility as to why some of the candidates declined to interview.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree.  I don't think Woody was ready to fire Rex at all. In fact, I believe the opposite.   I think Tanny got all or the lion's share of the blame, and that's why some potentially better candidates than Idzik had no interest in the Jets' job.  They knew they were going to be stuck with a meddlesome owner who had blind loyalty to a HC who is a liability and has created a circus atmosphere around the team, and that they wouldn't have complete control and/or the ability to fire Rex.

What makes you think that Woody was ready to fire Rex? 

The reports at the end of the season that Woody was going to make major changes, and it was between Tannenbaum and Rex.  Unreported, but pretty obvious, was the deduction that if the owner is trying to decide which one to fire, that both might well get the axe.  At any rate, the reports made it clear that it was not a certaintly that Rex keeps his job.

I specifically remember Woody's loyalty to Rex being mentioned as a strong possibility as to why some of the candidates declined to interview.

Whenever you have a coach in place and go looking for a GM, you're limiting yourself because the GM is responsible for the team and he wants his own coach in there.  So some candidates will pass for that reason.  That doesn't mean the owner's commitment to the coach is unending-quite the opposite, it would indicate that if we have another season where we don't seem to be moving up, Rex would have no more chips to play when it's time to decide who's turn it is to go.

The reports at the end of the season that Woody was going to make major changes, and it was between Tannenbaum and Rex.  Unreported, but pretty obvious, was the deduction that if the owner is trying to decide which one to fire, that both might well get the axe.  At any rate, the reports made it clear that it was not a certaintly that Rex keeps his job.

Whenever you have a coach in place and go looking for a GM, you're limiting yourself because the GM is responsible for the team and he wants his own coach in there.  So some candidates will pass for that reason.  That doesn't mean the owner's commitment to the coach is unending-quite the opposite, it would indicate that if we have another season where we don't seem to be moving up, Rex would have no more chips to play when it's time to decide who's turn it is to go.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I never saw one report where Woody was choosing between Tanny and Rex.  There was some speculation by a few sportswriters, but I never saw one credible report that that quoted Woody saying that he was considering firing Rex.  I also find it very odd that not one person on the Jets board where I was posting at the time posted one of those articles or quoted Woody as saying he was possibly gonna fire Rex.  A number of us hoped he would fire Rex, and there was speculation but no concrete evidence that that was a possibility was ever posted.  The articles posted were all about Tanny and how much Woody loved Rex, then articles that speculated that those GM candidates had no interest in the Jets' job because Woody wouldn't give them the freedom to fire Rex.  There was really no other reason for candidates not to be interested...a high profile market, lots of money to work with, being viewed as a savior of the franchise, having a ton of cap space the following season, free of Sanchez and Tone after one season, and some good talent to build around.

As for the second paragraph, if the potential GM candidates were given the option of firing Rex if they thought that was needed, then it would have been a non-issue of not being able to hire their own HC, so no candidate would have withdrawn his name because of that.  

Of course this year, with Tanny gone and a new GM on board, if the Jets stumble again, there's no one else to blame but Rex, so it's obvious that Rex would have to go.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I never saw one report where Woody was choosing between Tanny and Rex. There was some speculation by a few sportswriters, but I never saw one credible report that that quoted Woody saying that he was considering firing Rex. I also find it very odd that not one person on the Jets board where I was posting at the time posted one of those articles or quoted Woody as saying he was possibly gonna fire Rex. A number of us hoped he would fire Rex, and there was speculation but no concrete evidence that that was a possibility was ever posted. The articles posted were all about Tanny and how much Woody loved Rex, then articles that speculated that those GM candidates had no interest in the Jets' job because Woody wouldn't give them the freedom to fire Rex. There was really no other reason for candidates not to be interested...a high profile market, lots of money to work with, being viewed as a savior of the franchise, having a ton of cap space the following season, free of Sanchez and Tone after one season, and some good talent to build around.

As for the second paragraph, if the potential GM candidates were given the option of firing Rex if they thought that was needed, then it would have been a non-issue of not being able to hire their own HC, so no candidate would have withdrawn his name because of that.

Of course this year, with Tanny gone and a new GM on board, if the Jets stumble again, there's no one else to blame but Rex, so it's obvious that Rex would have to go.

I think there were other reasons why someone might not have wanted the job Rex or no Rex. We talked about it a lot here (before you started posting here).

That being said, so far I'm quite pleased with Idzik and also with the (seemingly thorough & professional) selection process prior to hiring him.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I never saw one report where Woody was choosing between Tanny and Rex. There was some speculation by a few sportswriters, but I never saw one credible report that that quoted Woody saying that he was considering firing Rex. I also find it very odd that not one person on the Jets board where I was posting at the time posted one of those articles or quoted Woody as saying he was possibly gonna fire Rex. A number of us hoped he would fire Rex, and there was speculation but no concrete evidence that that was a possibility was ever posted. The articles posted were all about Tanny and how much Woody loved Rex, then articles that speculated that those GM candidates had no interest in the Jets' job because Woody wouldn't give them the freedom to fire Rex. There was really no other reason for candidates not to be interested...a high profile market, lots of money to work with, being viewed as a savior of the franchise, having a ton of cap space the following season, free of Sanchez and Tone after one season, and some good talent to build around.

I think there were other reasons why someone might not have wanted the job Rex or no Rex. We talked about it a lot here (before you started posting here).

That being said, so far I'm quite pleased with Idzik and also with the (seemingly thorough & professional) selection process prior to hiring him.

I too am pleased with Idzik so far and was both pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the selection process was handled.  Those two things have given me more hope for Woody, and in turn for the Jets, than I've had in a long time.  If it weren't for those two things, I probably wouldn't be here or on any Jets sites.

I too am pleased with Idzik so far and was both pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the selection process was handled. Those two things have given me more hope for Woody, and in turn for the Jets, than I've had in a long time. If it weren't for those two things, I probably wouldn't be here or on any Jets sites.

+1

It's kinda nice to wake up in the morning and not worry about whether or not the Jets' GM just embarrassed the franchise again while you were sleeping.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet....

The best we can say about Idzik is that he hasn't done anything glaringly stupid so far. Unless signing David Garrard was stupid, or trading for Ivory was stupid, or signing Goodson for more money than Ivory was stupid. Or Milliner or Richardson is a bust. Or Geno's a bust. Or letting Moore or Slausson go was stupid, or Keller. Or DeVito.

In other words, the best you can give the guy is an incomplete.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I never saw one report where Woody was choosing between Tanny and Rex.  There was some speculation by a few sportswriters, but I never saw one credible report that that quoted Woody saying that he was considering firing Rex.

I cannot point to a specific article or sportscast that said that reliable sources said Woody was thinking of firing Rex-no owner or GM ever says that before the fact anyway.  Actually Ken Harrelson openly speculated on TV about letting his manager go when he was GM way back when and got roundly blasted by everyone for it.  But that was baseball, and I haven't heard anyone do it in any sport before or since.

What I heard was sportscasts before and after the fact saying that it would come down to Tanny or Rex.  Whether those reports were based on actual sources or analyses by the individual sportscasters phrased to sound like factual reports, I cannot say.

I meant that the decision to fire someone this year resulted in Tannenbaum exiting and Rex staying for at least this year.  Obviously Woody would not just fire Tannenbaum, go on an extensive search for a GM then give the GM the right to fire Rex as his first order of business. If he was going to do that, he would have just fired Tanny and Rex and let the new man pick his coach.  Having Rex in place as the coach likely caused some candidates to go somewhere where they can pick their own coach.  That does not mean Woody is committed to Rex forever.

Archived