ESPN : Is Mark Sanchez Better Then Kevin Kolb?

flgreen

Is Mark Sanchez better than Kevin Kolb?

July, 3, 2013

Jul 3

11:00

AM ET

By  James Walker | ESPN.com

Recommend1

Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets and Kevin Kolb of the Buffalo Bills have a lot in common. Both quarterbacks are draft busts with once-promising careers. However, Sanchez and Kolb will be competing for starting jobs this season in what could be their final shot to lead an NFL franchise.

But which AFC East quarterback is better: Sanchez or Kolb? ESPN NFL analyst and quarterback guru Ron Jaworski has the answer.

SportsNation

Which AFC East QB is better?

According to Jaworski, Sanchez rates higher than Kolb. Jaworski ranked Sanchez No. 28 in his annual quarterback rankings and Kolb No. 30.

Here is Jaworski’s evaluation of Sanchez:

"I was very disappointed in the overall play of my 28th-rated quarterback in 2012. I believed Mark Sanchez entering his fourth season would improve. Instead, he regressed; his limitations further exposed. There’s only one way Sanchez can be successful as an NFL starter. That’s as a complementary piece in an offense whose foundation is a consistent running game. What does that mean? It means Sanchez’s ceiling is that of a mid-level starter, nothing more. He can only function as a system quarterback, in which his passing limitations can be minimized."

Sanchez has led the NFL in turnovers the past two years, had some embarrassing moments and was temporarily benched last season. Still, Jaworski believes Sanchez is better than Kolb. This is not good news if you're a Buffalo fan.

The Bills signed Kolb to a two-year contract, and he’s currently the favorite to start in Week 1 ahead of rookie EJ Manuel. Kolb has experience, and that's provided a slight edge heading into training camp. But we have seen Kolb's many limitations over the course of his career.

Here is Jaworski's evaluation of Kolb:

"Kolb only started five games in 2012. You may recall he was not named the opening day starter, losing out in a heated competition with John Skelton. Kolb replaced an injured Skelton week one in the fourth quarter against Seattle and led the Cardinals on a game-winning drive. Kolb has always shown flashes that he’s capable of being an efficient starter. The situation in Arizona, unfortunately, highlighted his limitations. He played behind the worst offensive line in the NFL. One thing that has always prevented Kolb from developing into a consistent quarterback has been his inability to operate in a muddied pocket, with bodies flying around him. You have to be able to do that. Kolb is a functional space passer who needs a comfortable cradle to deliver the football."

In addition to Sanchez, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback and former Miami Dolphin Chad Henne, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder and Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden were all ranked ahead of Kolb.

If Jaworski is correct, Bills fans will be clamoring for Manuel to play sooner than later.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of irrelevant, as they are both absolutely awful.  The one thing you can give Sanchez credit for over Kolb is at least he had actually accomplished something in his career (as little as it may have actually had to do with him) before he started to get undeservedly praised for his awful play.  On the flip side, I'm fairly certain Kolb never ran into one of his OL's ass, so he's got that going for him.

"I was very disappointed in the overall play of my 28th-rated quarterback in 2012. I believed Mark Sanchez entering his fourth season would improve. Instead, he regressed; his limitations further exposed. There’s only one way Sanchez can be successful as an NFL starter. That’s as a complementary piece in an offense whose foundation is a consistent running game. What does that mean? It means Sanchez’s ceiling is that of a mid-level starter, nothing more. He can only function as a system quarterback, in which his passing limitations can be minimized."

That's about as negative as Jaws gets. If he is a system QB, then it would stand to reason, a system like Marty's where passing is prevalent is probably one of the worse systems he could be in. A QB with severe passing limitations cannot be brushed aside in the WCO. I chuckled when he called Mark a mid-level starter too. Didn't realize consistently producing some of the worst QB stats in the league was mid-level. 

If you only watch Jets games, Mark Sanchez is the worst QB evah! if you watch as many teams as possible, yes there are worse players than Mark Sanchez, believe it or not. Kevin Kolb for example. People talk about Sanchez like he's Clemens (who is still a backup in the league btw). BL he is gonna be in this league a long long time. 

If you only watch Jets games, Mark Sanchez is the worst QB evah! if you watch as many teams as possible, yes there are worse players than Mark Sanchez, believe it or not. Kevin Kolb for example. People talk about Sanchez like he's Clemens (who is still a backup in the league btw). BL he is gonna be in this league a long long time. 

No he's not.  

I was going to write, "Which would you rather eat: doody with a firmer consistency you need a knife/fork to eat, or with a looser consistency you'd use a spoon (or at least a spork) to eat?"

But I didn't want to be gross.

Good thing you spared us. ;)

So, neither QB performed well under pressure...

Or, in Mark's case, percieved pressure.

But a lot of that depends on: [a] receivers not getting seperation, receivers not catching (catchable) balls, [c] not getting in a rhythm-- due to [a], and the innovative playcalling surrounding Tim Tebow, and [d] a Sporano offense. And what do you expect? Sanchez isn't a powerhouse by any means, but two years ago (with more offensive talent surrounding him) he was able to lead game winning drives.

Give Mark some talent to work with and he's exactly what Jaws says, "a mid-level starting talent". He'll never be a top-10 guy.

Surround him with CFL players, Shone Greene, and Sporano's game calling and he's what we saw last year; the 28th ranked QB in the league.

I believe that (even a scrambling) Mark Sanchez, with the receiving talent Kolb had in Arizona would be light years better than the Mark Sanchez we saw last year.

franchises killed:

Sanchez 1, Kolb 0

Kolb is better

Kolb lost out to John Skeleton.  Skeleton is worse than Tebow.     And Kolb has Fitzgerald.  If you have one of the best WRs in the NFL and you can't even get him the ball, you are terrible.   

Sanchez sucks, but if anybody watched any of the Cardinals games most of last season,  the Cardinals might have had one of the worst QB situations in the last 50 years.  And they had Fitzgerald.

As far as franchises destroyed?   The Cardinals went from almost winning a super bowl with Kurt Warner to a franchise that just fired everybody and are starting over.  How is that not destroyed?

Kolb lost out to John Skeleton.  Skeleton is worse than Tebow.     And Kolb has Fitzgerald.  If you have one of the best WRs in the NFL and you can't even get him the ball, you are terrible.   

Sanchez sucks, but if anybody watched any of the Cardinals games most of last season,  the Cardinals might have had one of the worst QB situations in the last 50 years.  And they had Fitzgerald.

As far as franchises destroyed?   The Cardinals went from almost winning a super bowl with Kurt Warner to a franchise that just fired everybody and are starting over.  How is that not destroyed?

There is something to be said for this. The Cards QB situation was so bad last year they are actually excited to have Carson Palmer. 

.... I chuckled when he called Mark a mid-level starter too. Didn't realize consistently producing some of the worst QB stats in the league was mid-level. 

Jaworski said that Sanchez' ceiling is mid-level, that is, put him on a quality offense with a really good running game and he might well make some plays for you.  He won't ever be able to be the star who can explode and pass the team up and down the field.

So, neither QB performed well under pressure...

Or, in Mark's case, percieved pressure.

But a lot of that depends on: [a] receivers not getting seperation, receivers not catching (catchable) balls, [c] not getting in a rhythm-- due to [a], and the innovative playcalling surrounding Tim Tebow, and [d] a Sporano offense. And what do you expect? Sanchez isn't a powerhouse by any means, but two years ago (with more offensive talent surrounding him) he was able to lead game winning drives.

Give Mark some talent to work with and he's exactly what Jaws says, "a mid-level starting talent". He'll never be a top-10 guy.

Surround him with CFL players, Shone Greene, and Sporano's game calling and he's what we saw last year; the 28th ranked QB in the league.

I believe that (even a scrambling) Mark Sanchez, with the receiving talent Kolb had in Arizona would be light years better than the Mark Sanchez we saw last year.

thats a joke right?

I say sanchez woulda been worse. Cardinals O line was a mess sanchez woulda fumbled another 20 times

Jaworski said that Sanchez' ceiling is mid-level, that is, put him on a quality offense with a really good running game and he might well make some plays for you. He won't ever be able to be the star who can explode and pass the team up and down the field.

Which describes every QB in the league outside of about twelve. Jaws sucks. James Walker is worse.

The rub is, with Sanchez at QB your chances of having a "quality" offense are pretty awful. We had half of a good offense his first two years and he couldn't be further than 'mid-level'. The only indication we have to even say such a thing is college production and draft spot which he has subsequently proven beyond reasonable doubt to be undeserving of.

Archived