Which Position Battles Will You Be Watching Most Closely in TC and Preseason?

JoeKlecko

Training Camp & Preseason Competitions  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which unit will you be watching most closely in TC and Preseason?

The Jets will have the most and tightest competition for numerous starting and roster spots this year that I can remember.  There are so many important battles and questions...Will Geno be able to beat out Mark?  Will Winslow be able to stay healthy?  Will Hayden Smith be able to contribute?  Who will be the WRs on this team if Tone is unable to play?  Who will be the starters at the two OG positions?  Who will start at S opposite Dawan Landry?

It's hard for me to decide which battle I'm most interested in.  I'm excited to see how the DL develops, how the OL shakes out, who will start opposite Landry, whether Milliner or Wilson will start opposite Cro, and of course if Geno can unseat Mark as the starting QB.  In Richardson, Milliner, Smith and Winters alone, I think the Jets have added more talent to the team in any one draft since at least 2000 and maybe longer.

I'm curious what you think.

Rex v. Rex will be the best battle of the summer. He came out of minicamp acting like he felt a noose tightening around his neck. If the team is still struggling two weeks into camp, it'll be really interesting to see the Rex dynamic at play.

Well QB is what will get all the attention.  Many of the others don't concern me, DL will be a rotation, the more the merrier.  CB will be interesting, to see how soon Milliner can help.  Safety is important and worth watching.  But imo none of it will matter if something good doesn't happen at WR.

Can Holmes help in September?  Kerley is going to excel in this offense.  But is Stephen Hill ready to contribute?  Can any of the kids help out, like Jordan White.  He seems well suited for this kind of offense.

Yes Geno and Sanchez is the most important thing to be worked out.  I feel like Sanchez will win the job out of camp.  But if they don't get the WR situation sorted out, nothing else will matter.

Not sure why these WR battles matter much.  Ultimately we have like 1,000 guys battling to be our # 4/# 5/special team guys and/or replacing Santonio for a few weeks until he gets healthy. 

And if Geno doesn't take this QB job by the horns and be a significant upgrade at the position, we won't really be able to reliably evaluate these WR's in the first place.  All of our WR's struggle when your starter runs into linemen's butts and throws picks to d-linemen. 

was expecting to see the QB battle over 95%

... interesting breakdown of interest (yeah, i'm gonna leave the sentence like that) by all of you :headbang:

Yeah, I've been surprised so far.  It's still a small response, but I also expected the S position to garner more interest.  I guess if there were better players to compete it would be more compelling.  It's kind of like the TE group, not a whole lot of developed talent, just more raw potential (except for Winslow).

I don't worry about any of the competition on the defensive side of the ball.  I figure Rex will get that side of it all squared away as usual.  After all, he's got more talent there than any time since he arrived here.

I don't worry about the QB race either.  I figure Sanchez starts because Geno simply has too much catching up to do.  Footwork, NFL speed, and cadence will come to him in due time.  No matter what though, Geno steps in as soon as Sanchez falters.  I actually think one way or the other we get "serviceable" play out of the QB spot in 2013.

I don't worry about the WR race.  It's just too much of a mess.  We have 4 QB's throwing to 11 guys.  Our WR corps can't be worse than it was last year.  I'll just sit back and see if any of thee good hands guys can actually play.

So that leaves TE, RB, and OL.  I actually think our TE's will be serviceable this year.  Winslow will be effective but will have limited snaps due to his ongoing knee pain issues.  I think Smith is still eligible for PS.  Rueland is a good hands guy.  Cumby and Winslow share the bulk of the snaps.

RB  pecking order is already established in my mind.  We carry all 4 due to Ivory's injury concerns, Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight.

OL is the most interesting competition to me.  IMO, Peterman and Vlad are identical, good run, poor pass, guys.  I think Vlad is a keeper for depth.  Does Peterman stay?  The way we drafted this year I really want to see how the OL shakes out.    

I think the most interesting battles will be the ones where a UFA can make the team or, perhaps, really contribute. So the wide open competition at WR has the potential to be really exciting. There's a real opening there for the next Wayne Chrebet. Ditto at TE, where I'll be rooting heavily for the Australian. And at OLB, where a few long term projects are finally getting a shot at a starting job - and I also want to see Coples make his transition smoothly.

I don't think a lot of other jobs are really up for grabs. I hope Winters wins a starting role, but that's only a matter of time. I could say the same thing about QB. I think safety will be a platoon. I expect Miliner to be handed the starting role on the outside.

It's the receiver positions where a star could be born, especially if Geno latches onto one of them as his favorite. That's exciting.

Archived