Should I make my son a Jets fan?

Freemanm

Hi, I have a 10-month old son. He started watching me with the Jets last season. I've been a fan since the season before he Jets went to the mud bowl, and Richard "The second coming of Namath" Todd was QB, Freeman McNeil (hence, the screen name) was a great RB and Wesley Walker was awesome as WR. And yes, there was the NY sack exchange.

I have put myself through 30 years of mostly misery, save for a few flashes of promise, like when Parcells became head coach. A field so muddy that it was unplayable; a 10 and 0 start only to see the Jets lose heir final six games; Mark Gastineau retiring so hat he could go marry some she-male; 10-0 lead at halftime go up in smoke; Belichick abruptly quitting the NYJ; Doug Brien missing two easy field goals against the Steelers in the playoffs; the list of misery goes on and on, as you all know.

Seriously, would I be cursing my only son by exposing him to the Jet Nation of misery?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.

As a matter of fact you should go out right now and get a real good deal on a size 1 #6 authentic jersey.

Get the kid used to a life of abject misery early.  ( At least that's what I read on here)  It works a lot better then if you try to wait until they are in their preteens, and flitting with their first Giants jersey.

Rocky road

I have a kid on the way (my first), and I've been thinking the same thing.  It's almost like passing a curse on to your children.  

I know one thing: if I don't make my kid a Jets fan, he/she sure as sh*t won't become a Giants fan.  I don't want to hate my own kid....

Real men make their kids football fans. Only posers make their kids fans of teams they aren't local to/or their father was local to. Only scumbags are Cowboy fans. And only pussies are Giant fans.

I think you have this in reverse.

Both of my kids are Jets fans. You gotta make your kid a Jets fan who would you take to the Hofstra practice?

I have a kid on the way (my first), and I've been thinking the same thing.  It's almost like passing a curse on to your children.  

I know one thing: if I don't make my kid a Jets fan, he/she sure as sh*t won't become a Giants fan.  I don't want to hate my own kid....

Both of my kids are Jets fans. You gotta make your kid a Jets fan who would you take to the Hofstra practice?

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I noticed Sean was able to get a WHOPPING 180 sigs on that silly petition.  He sure showed Woody Johnson! :sign0098:

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I noticed Sean was able to get a WHOPPING 180 sigs on that silly petition.  He sure showed Woody Johnson! :sign0098:

My 5 year old son is a Jets fan, but he loves football too. It's a blast having your kids like the same team even when they suck!!!!!

When is your wife due?

I hear you.  lol

I wasn't blessed with any children, but I probably would have been torn if I was.  If I had a young child now, I probably would since things look more positive and hopeful (in spite of what I think about Sanchez, Woody, and Rex).  Back in the days of Richie Kotite and Leon Hess, definitely not.  Another part of me thinks the kid should choose for him or herself.  Just because I root for a team doesn't mean my kid has to, although it would be more fun if we did root for the same team.

Growing up in NC, I didn't have a team.  My father was a Redskins fan, but I just couldn't sign on with Sonny Jurgenson and the like.  I first became a fan of the Vince Lombardi GB Packers, then when Joe Willie Namath came along became a fan of the Jets.

I hear you.  lol

I wasn't blessed with any children, but I probably would have been torn if I was.  If I had a young child now, I probably would since things look more positive and hopeful (in spite of what I think about Sanchez, Woody, and Rex).  Back in the days of Richie Kotite and Leon Hess, definitely not.  Another part of me thinks the kid should choose for him or herself.  Just because I root for a team doesn't mean my kid has to, although it would be more fun if we did root for the same team.

Growing up in NC, I didn't have a team.  My father was a Redskins fan, but I just couldn't sign on with Sonny Jurgenson and the like.  I first became a fan of the Vince Lombardi GB Packers, then when Joe Willie Namath came along became a fan of the Jets.

Part of me agrees with cr.  I think it would be fun to have a kid who loves the team the way I do.  But at the same time, loving this team can be so damned frustrating. The anguish this team has caused me has probably taken a few years off of my life. 

I probably will make the kid a Jets fan. The foolish optimist in me still thinks one day they'll finally put it all together and win a championship.  

Part of me agrees with cr.  I think it would be fun to have a kid who loves the team the way I do.  But at the same time, loving this team can be so damned frustrating. The anguish this team has caused me has probably taken a few years off of my life. 

I probably will make the kid a Jets fan. The foolish optimist in me still thinks one day they'll finally put it all together and win a championship.  

I definitely agree.  High blood pressure, stress, and in the cases of some fans, broken bones from punching walls.  Also, I've seen several Jets fans admit that they've thrown their TV sets they've gotten so angry.  Sometimes I can't help but wonder if rooting for a team like the Jets is worth it.

As some other fans have said on other sites when we've discussed this, we all must be a bunch of crazy masochists!  lol

Also, congratulations!!!  I pray he/she will be healthy and have much better fortunes as a Jets fan than we've had!

Of course you want your kids as jets fans- nothing better than bonding father and son watching and rooting for your team

+100

I have never been a fan who goes crazy when the Jets lose, I "try" to keep in perspective, the kids make it easier because of the questions they ask during the games.

Archived