Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should I make my son a Jets fan?

81 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi, I have a 10-month old son. He started watching me with the Jets last season. I've been a fan since the season before he Jets went to the mud bowl, and Richard "The second coming of Namath" Todd was QB, Freeman McNeil (hence, the screen name) was a great RB and Wesley Walker was awesome as WR. And yes, there was the NY sack exchange.

I have put myself through 30 years of mostly misery, save for a few flashes of promise, like when Parcells became head coach. A field so muddy that it was unplayable; a 10 and 0 start only to see the Jets lose heir final six games; Mark Gastineau retiring so hat he could go marry some she-male; 10-0 lead at halftime go up in smoke; Belichick abruptly quitting the NYJ; Doug Brien missing two easy field goals against the Steelers in the playoffs; the list of misery goes on and on, as you all know.

Seriously, would I be cursing my only son by exposing him to the Jet Nation of misery?

Posted · Report post

no

Posted · Report post

No...youre supposed to protect him from EVIL!

Posted · Report post

If you do I will call child services on you.

Posted · Report post

i guess you either make him a Jets fan and pray history doesn't repeat it self over the next 30 years or get ready to start going to Giants games...pick the lesser evil

Posted · Report post

Absolutely.

As a matter of fact you should go out right now and get a real good deal on a size 1 #6 authentic jersey.

Get the kid used to a life of abject misery early.  ( At least that's what I read on here)  It works a lot better then if you try to wait until they are in their preteens, and flitting with their first Giants jersey.

Rocky road

Posted · Report post

My kids grew up watching the Jets with me and learned that football is dumb. Good luck with your son!

Posted · Report post

no

As a modertator you are required to answer Yes.  This way we get one more poster.  Cmon man.  Recruit.

Posted · Report post

The answer is Yes.  It is all about the law of averages.  It will work in his favor.

Posted · Report post

As a modertator you are required to answer Yes.  This way we get one more poster.  Cmon man.  Recruit.

i assume you use term "moderator" loosely.

Posted · Report post

Misery loves company, so it's a YES, it's a right of passage. Welcome young Jet!

Posted · Report post

Real men make their kids football fans. Only posers make their kids fans of teams they aren't local to/or their father was local to. Only scumbags are Cowboy fans. And only pussies are Giant fans. 

Posted · Report post

i assume you use term "moderator" loosely.

He said "modertator". Learn to read. Modertator, so delicious. No homo.

Posted · Report post

Yes...

Posted · Report post

I have a kid on the way (my first), and I've been thinking the same thing.  It's almost like passing a curse on to your children.  

I know one thing: if I don't make my kid a Jets fan, he/she sure as sh*t won't become a Giants fan.  I don't want to hate my own kid....

Posted · Report post

Real men make their kids football fans. Only posers make their kids fans of teams they aren't local to/or their father was local to. Only scumbags are Cowboy fans. And only pussies are Giant fans.

I think you have this in reverse.

Posted · Report post

Both of my kids are Jets fans. You gotta make your kid a Jets fan who would you take to the Hofstra practice?

I have a kid on the way (my first), and I've been thinking the same thing.  It's almost like passing a curse on to your children.  

I know one thing: if I don't make my kid a Jets fan, he/she sure as sh*t won't become a Giants fan.  I don't want to hate my own kid....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Both of my kids are Jets fans. You gotta make your kid a Jets fan who would you take to the Hofstra practice?

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I noticed Sean was able to get a WHOPPING 180 sigs on that silly petition.  He sure showed Woody Johnson! :sign0098:

Edited by sourceworx

Posted · Report post

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I noticed Sean was able to get a WHOPPING 180 sigs on that silly petition.  He sure showed Woody Johnson! :sign0098:

My 5 year old son is a Jets fan, but he loves football too. It's a blast having your kids like the same team even when they suck!!!!!

When is your wife due?

Posted · Report post

My 5 year old son is a Jets fan, but he loves football too. It's a blast having your kids like the same team even when they suck!!!!!

When is your wife due?

Christmas Day.

Posted · Report post

Christmas Day.

Congrats and good luck. It is a truly awesome thing, no words can describe it properly.

Posted · Report post

Congrats and good luck. It is a truly awesome thing, no words can describe it properly.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

wait until he's done something bad ... then recruit him with an old highlight video or something ... that'll learn 'im!!!

Posted · Report post

I hear you.  lol

I wasn't blessed with any children, but I probably would have been torn if I was.  If I had a young child now, I probably would since things look more positive and hopeful (in spite of what I think about Sanchez, Woody, and Rex).  Back in the days of Richie Kotite and Leon Hess, definitely not.  Another part of me thinks the kid should choose for him or herself.  Just because I root for a team doesn't mean my kid has to, although it would be more fun if we did root for the same team.

Growing up in NC, I didn't have a team.  My father was a Redskins fan, but I just couldn't sign on with Sonny Jurgenson and the like.  I first became a fan of the Vince Lombardi GB Packers, then when Joe Willie Namath came along became a fan of the Jets.

Posted · Report post

Yes, and you should also hold up Lindsay Lohan as The Feminine Ideal.