Should I make my son a Jets fan?

Freemanm

I definitely agree.  High blood pressure, stress, and in the cases of some fans, broken bones from punching walls.  Also, I've seen several Jets fans admit that they've thrown their TV sets they've gotten so angry.  Sometimes I can't help but wonder if rooting for a team like the Jets is worth it.

As some other fans have said on other sites when we've discussed this, we all must be a bunch of crazy masochists!  lol

Also, congratulations!!!  I pray he/she will be healthy and have much better fortunes as a Jets fan than we've had!

Thanks man.  I appreciate it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of me agrees with cr.  I think it would be fun to have a kid who loves the team the way I do.  But at the same time, loving this team can be so damned frustrating. The anguish this team has caused me has probably taken a few years off of my life. 

I probably will make the kid a Jets fan. The foolish optimist in me still thinks one day they'll finally put it all together and win a championship.

Just as long as you know you can't really make your kid anything. What are you gonna do? Beat him like a lefty in catholic school if he likes the latest Super Bowl Champ? Or the Giants? Or the Pats? Or his little league team? Of course not.

My parents were Giant fans, but my best friend's family were Jet fans and had season tickets. So I got to go to a lot of games that his little sister wanted no part of. Lol. Thus, a Jet fan was born. And my parents rooted for both teams on Sunday, and we'd have a friendly rivalry when they faced each other.

Just as long as you know you can't really make your kid anything. What are you gonna do? Beat him like a lefty in catholic school if he likes the latest Super Bowl Champ? Or the Giants? Or the Pats? Or his little league team? Of course not.

My parents were Giant fans, but my best friend's family were Jet fans and had season tickets. So I got to go to a lot of games that his little sister wanted no part of. Lol. Thus, a Jet fan was born. And my parents rooted for both teams on Sunday, and we'd have a friendly rivalry when they faced each other.

My brother is doing a pretty good job at brainwashing his kids into being Giants fans. 

I became a Jets fan because of two reasons.  One my father. He came here from Europe in the late 60s, and liked the Jets because of Joe Namath. The second was because my brother liked the Giants, and I had to do the opposite of what he did.  I sure showed him.....

I'd encourage your son to share the game of football with you...explain why you watch...how you became a Jets fan...the good and the bad...these moments are priceless...your son will either join your cause or chose another team/players.

I have two sons...a 20 and an 18 year old...both watched me bleed green for too many years...I'd tried to teach them that the Jets taught me humility...and also how a "game" should not dictate anyone's happiness...although both avoid me on those particular Sunday nights after a terrible Jets performance.

FTR...my eldest chose the Titans as his favorite team...Steve McNair and Eddie George teams played strong just when he was learning to play and appreciate the game...still watches them every weekend as long as the Jets are not on at the same time.  The second son does not have a favorite team...he bandwagons...likes the better team...or I should say the better players...currently a fan of Drew Brees so he roots for the Saints...lol.

Guess there really no right or wrong answer...just encourage sharing the game and let him chose on his own team.  Just hope at some point the Jets build that franchise that inspires more people to cheer for us than root against us.

...and break remote controls and TV's more often than regular people...

You're not the first to reference breaking televisions. Is that for real? Have you (or anyone else reading this) REALLY broken a television?

My TV is really nice. I'm a knee-jerk screamer/guy who walks away in disgust/pacing nervously in circles guy... The Jets can ruin my Sunday, and subsequent Monday at work..but not my prized TV.

You're not the first to reference breaking televisions. Is that for real? Have you (or anyone else reading this) REALLY broken a television?

My TV is really nice. I'm a knee-jerk screamer/guy who walks away in disgust/pacing nervously in circles guy... The Jets can ruin my Sunday, and subsequent Monday at work..but not my prized TV.

I don't know if they were exaggerating or not, but over the years I have seen posters on several Jets boards claim that they had punched, thrown or thrown something at their TV and broken it.  Whether they really did or not, I can't say.  As exasperating as the Jets have been over the years, I can believe that some, especially when drinking, could have gotten that mad and out of control that they would have.  I don't think any sane, sober person would with an expensive TV, but who knows?  lol

My dad never really had to persuade me into being a Jets fan, but since that's what we watched on Sundays, that's who I came to love. It really didn't take much work on his part - he was going to watch no matter what I did (it turns out that, in terms of watching sports, I'm the son he never had). I think if you want to warp your kid for life - as being a Jets fan will - all you have to do is make sure you watch a Jets game every fall Sunday together during his formative years.

On the other hand, there's levels of punishment that would have happened to me had I become a fan of another team. If I somehow turned out to be a Green Bay fan, or a Panthers fan, or a 49ers fan, my father probably would have grudgingly accepted me. If I'd ended up a Pats fan, or a Fish fan, or a Steelers fan, or a Cowboys fan, I would have been kicked out of the house.

I have a kid on the way (my first), and I've been thinking the same thing.  It's almost like passing a curse on to your children.  

I know one thing: if I don't make my kid a Jets fan, he/she sure as sh*t won't become a Giants fan.  I don't want to hate my own kid....

you'll hate your kid plenty of times in their life.

Part of me agrees with cr.  I think it would be fun to have a kid who loves the team the way I do.  But at the same time, loving this team can be so damned frustrating. The anguish this team has caused me has probably taken a few years off of my life. 

I probably will make the kid a Jets fan. The foolish optimist in me still thinks one day they'll finally put it all together and win a championship.  

My father loves sharing the misery with me.  Its a great bonding experience cursing the jets.

Hi, I have a 10-month old son. He started watching me with the Jets last season. I've been a fan since the season before he Jets went to the mud bowl, and Richard "The second coming of Namath" Todd was QB, Freeman McNeil (hence, the screen name) was a great RB and Wesley Walker was awesome as WR. And yes, there was the NY sack exchange.

I have put myself through 30 years of mostly misery, save for a few flashes of promise, like when Parcells became head coach. A field so muddy that it was unplayable; a 10 and 0 start only to see the Jets lose heir final six games; Mark Gastineau retiring so hat he could go marry some she-male; 10-0 lead at halftime go up in smoke; Belichick abruptly quitting the NYJ; Doug Brien missing two easy field goals against the Steelers in the playoffs; the list of misery goes on and on, as you all know.

Seriously, would I be cursing my only son by exposing him to the Jet Nation of misery?

No. You keep your son as far away as possible. 

Hi, I have a 10-month old son. He started watching me with the Jets last season. I've been a fan since the season before he Jets went to the mud bowl, and Richard "The second coming of Namath" Todd was QB, Freeman McNeil (hence, the screen name) was a great RB and Wesley Walker was awesome as WR. And yes, there was the NY sack exchange.

I have put myself through 30 years of mostly misery, save for a few flashes of promise, like when Parcells became head coach. A field so muddy that it was unplayable; a 10 and 0 start only to see the Jets lose heir final six games; Mark Gastineau retiring so hat he could go marry some she-male; 10-0 lead at halftime go up in smoke; Belichick abruptly quitting the NYJ; Doug Brien missing two easy field goals against the Steelers in the playoffs; the list of misery goes on and on, as you all know.

Seriously, would I be cursing my only son by exposing him to the Jet Nation of misery?

You would be better off leaving him in the woods and let him be raised by wolves.

for the record, he will attach to a team that gets his interest the year he becomes a sports fan.  when I was 7, we lived in upstate NY, and this is 1975, so there is no amazon.com to buy out of state stuff.  dad buys me a patriots helmet and shoulder pads.  I couldn't care less. 

a few years later, mom works with ernie stautners sister, brings home an autographed team picture of the cowboys. this is 1970's Americas team we're talkin bout here. I couldn't care less

in 1979 we move to LI, and dad, the lifelong giants fan can't get giants  tickets.  he takes me to the giants training camp.  I couldn't care less

in 1982 he takes me to the jets home opener at shea stadium and I watch Wesley walker with my binoculars and I'm hooked.  I was a corny old fashioned kid, and I wanted to root for the home team.  the stupid giants played in NJ.  how dumb is that ? this is the players strike season.   this is the year that ended in the mudbowl.  I should have known right there and then, lol.

I think team loyalty is decided around the age of 10 - 14.  

for the record, he will attach to a team that gets his interest the year he becomes a sports fan.  when I was 7, we lived in upstate NY, and this is 1975, so there is no amazon.com to buy out of state stuff.  dad buys me a patriots helmet and shoulder pads.  I couldn't care less. 

a few years later, mom works with ernie stautners sister, brings home an autographed team picture of the cowboys. this is 1970's Americas team we're talkin bout here. I couldn't care less

in 1979 we move to LI, and dad, the lifelong giants fan can't get giants  tickets.  he takes me to the giants training camp.  I couldn't care less

in 1982 he takes me to the jets home opener at shea stadium and I watch Wesley walker with my binoculars and I'm hooked.  I was a corny old fashioned kid, and I wanted to root for the home team.  the stupid giants played in NJ.  how dumb is that ? this is the players strike season.   this is the year that ended in the mudbowl.  I should have known right there and then, lol.

Solid post. When I was in middle school Dallas WAS America's team. Nowadays I think it has more to do with their friends and who wears what jersey to school. My pathetic Jet Fan kids have actually poisoned a couple of their friends to be Jet fans. Upside is each of them have had native NY/NJ Jet fans as teachers and they always form an empathetic bond with them. Sorta like going thru boot camp or doing jail time together.

for the record, he will attach to a team that gets his interest the year he becomes a sports fan. when I was 7, we lived in upstate NY, and this is 1975, so there is no amazon.com to buy out of state stuff. dad buys me a patriots helmet and shoulder pads. I couldn't care less.

a few years later, mom works with ernie stautners sister, brings home an autographed team picture of the cowboys. this is 1970's Americas team we're talkin bout here. I couldn't care less

in 1979 we move to LI, and dad, the lifelong giants fan can't get giants tickets. he takes me to the giants training camp. I couldn't care less

in 1982 he takes me to the jets home opener at shea stadium and I watch Wesley walker with my binoculars and I'm hooked. I was a corny old fashioned kid, and I wanted to root for the home team. the stupid giants played in NJ. how dumb is that ? this is the players strike season. this is the year that ended in the mudbowl. I should have known right there and then, lol.

Same year I became a Jets fan, and round the same age. It's funny once it's in your blood it's like an infection lol. I Still Love them, but like being in an abusive relationship.

I honestly believe being a Jets fan builds character. You dont want your son to be some cheap bandwagoning a$$hole, right?

By character do you mean alcoholism and a personality disorder? If so thanks for giving me something pops!

You should make me the godfather incase something happens to you and really cement your place as father of the year

Solid post. When I was in middle school Dallas WAS America's team. Nowadays I think it has more to do with their friends and who wears what jersey to school. My pathetic Jet Fan kids have actually poisoned a couple of their friends to be Jet fans. Upside is each of them have had native NY/NJ Jet fans as teachers and they always form an empathetic bond with them. Sorta like going thru boot camp or doing jail time together.

lol.  good point, friends have a big influence as well.  I'm pretty sure the cowboys pic was the 1975 SB team that lost to pitts

Same year I became a Jets fan, and round the same age. It's funny once it's in your blood it's like an infection lol. I Still Love them, but like being in an abusive relationship.

wow !   I have vivid memories of listening to the raiders playoff game on the radio in the car with my family.  it was gut wrenching !!!!   the mud bowl was the first game I ever watched at a football party.  yeah.   ouch.    

And these are the good old days.

it beats the patriot way

murder, cheating, steroids and bribes

get outta here with that crap.  the pats* have never won a superbowl, and they pretend like nobody remembers belicheat stealing from a  dying man and bribing his mistress with hush money

go ahead, go to any message board and brag about how great the pats are

I dare ya

it beats the patriot way

murder, cheating, steroids and bribes

get outta here with that crap.  the pats* have never won a superbowl, and they pretend like nobody remembers belicheat stealing from a  dying man and bribing his mistress with hush money

go ahead, go to any message board and brag about how great the pats are

I dare ya

Does it? The Jets havent sniffed a SB in 44 years and wont this season either.

The Yankees do all of the above and more and you gladly support them. Go do fellatio on Aroid after he gets suspended post MLB Allstar game. You two dooshes should be together.

Does it? The Jets havent sniffed a SB in 44 years and wont this season either.

The Yankees do all of the above and more and you gladly support them. Go do fellatio on Aroid after he gets suspended post MLB Allstar game. You two dooshes should be together.

I TRIPLE DOG DARE you

I'm not a Yankees fan so if aroid is all ya got you are weaker than I thought.  what about murder, cheating and bribery ?  don't forget dirty play, Harrison still leaves that skid mark on you

"The patriot* way"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

the only people who think the Lombardi's are real are paul from wicked tuna and you.

everyone else knows the truth

frauds

all you have to do is pick a random NFC team the pats didn't cheat out of a SB win, start a thread on a message board showing you bragging about the patriots and how great they are and then link to it in this thread so we can see the results

are you man enough ?

the lions or Vikings seems reasonable

Archived