Led Zeppelin or The Doors?

Matt39

I probably have more respect for The Doors because Zeppelin unfortunately ripped off so many blues artists.  I love both bands though, and would pay any amount of money to see Zeppelin live. 

Plus one of my Dad's coolest stories of his life involves Jim Morrison.  I think I've posted it here before but here it is again.  In spring of 1968, before "Light my Fire" came out, The Doors randomly played a show in a chapel at Susquehanna University, a tiny university in Pennsylvania.  The school was in the middle of a bit of a scandal as many students were refusing to go to required Chapel, opting to use their time for studying instead. 

My Dad was a student at Susquehanna, and was on the committee that brought The Doors in.  How this social committee at a religious, conservative school in PA would know about a rock band from Los Angeles is a mystery to me.  Our best guess as to WHY The Doors would come there was they were playing Philadelphia around that time and had an open date.

Anyways, before the show, my Dad got to meet the band and shoot hoops with Morrison.  Even got a program signed by him in pencil (which he still has, as lone proof of the show taking place).  They walked in the chapel where the show would take place, Morrison saw the crucifix and said "I'm not sure if we should be playing or praying."  At the show, all the students for the spring concert were dressed to the nines, wearing suits and such, and out comes this long-haired band from California.  It must have been surreal in hindsight.  The students naturally didn't really grasp the music but clapped politely after each song.  Jim probably got a big thrill out of messing with the heads of these college kids. 

I swear my Dad is like a real life Forrest Gump minus the low IQ.

/JiF'd

Different genres. Blues vs poetry almost. I cannot pick because to me they are different.

I agree with this too.

Tone and Feel: Zep has an amazing blues influence and the singer's voice seems as much an instrument as it is a communicator.  Some songs are edgier than I am as a person, but the quality is there nevertheless.

Poetry/Lyrics:  Doors.  Their melodies (keyboard solos) sometimes remind me of a carnival calliope, but Jim's words more than make up for it.

NOTE: If you have the cable channel 'Palladia', watch for the Doors concert at the Hollywood Bowl and DVR it.  I'm NOT a big fan of live concerts at all, but this show had me transfixed.  Seeing it in perfect high-def on a big screen, it was like I'd stepped out of a time machine and was just standing there on stage watching him.  It was amazing.

doors gets repetitive and the organ/keyboards gets annoying.  I had a 1 month doors phase but it didn't last.  

jimmy ripped of a lot of guys but he pioneered a lot as well like reverse echo effects.  every rocker after elvis ripped off the blues guys.  zep was just so arrogant they didn't give credit on the publishing rights where it was due

I had a 3 year zeppelin phase. 

so zep by a mile for me

I probably have more respect for The Doors because Zeppelin unfortunately ripped off so many blues artists.  I love both bands though, and would pay any amount of money to see Zeppelin live. 

Plus one of my Dad's coolest stories of his life involves Jim Morrison.  I think I've posted it here before but here it is again.  In spring of 1968, before "Light my Fire" came out, The Doors randomly played a show in a chapel at Susquehanna University, a tiny university in Pennsylvania.  The school was in the middle of a bit of a scandal as many students were refusing to go to required Chapel, opting to use their time for studying instead. 

My Dad was a student at Susquehanna, and was on the committee that brought The Doors in.  How this social committee at a religious, conservative school in PA would know about a rock band from Los Angeles is a mystery to me.  Our best guess as to WHY The Doors would come there was they were playing Philadelphia around that time and had an open date.

Anyways, before the show, my Dad got to meet the band and shoot hoops with Morrison.  Even got a program signed by him in pencil (which he still has, as lone proof of the show taking place).  They walked in the chapel where the show would take place, Morrison saw the crucifix and said "I'm not sure if we should be playing or praying."  At the show, all the students for the spring concert were dressed to the nines, wearing suits and such, and out comes this long-haired band from California.  It must have been surreal in hindsight.  The students naturally didn't really grasp the music but clapped politely after each song.  Jim probably got a big thrill out of messing with the heads of these college kids. 

/JiF'd

My old man saw The Doors at the Singer Bowl in Queens in 68 or so I think. Lineup included Hendrix and The Who. Pretty unreal when you think about it.

I realize theyre two totally different bands, was drunk and listening to both last night so alas the thread. 

My old man saw The Doors at the Singer Bowl in Queens in 68 or so I think. Lineup included Hendrix and The Who. Pretty unreal when you think about it.

I realize theyre two totally different bands, was drunk and listening to both last night so alas the thread. 

Heh, I was thinking about starting a "best songs about drinking/drinking songs" thread the other day.  Though for me, George Thorogood kind of cornered the market on that genre a bit.

/JiF'd

Cool story.  Seriously.

But just FYI - every single band in the history of rock and roll you could use the old "ripped of blues artists" statement, especially during that era of music.  Hell, blues artists ripped off blues artists.  That includes the Doors.  Difference is, Jimmy Page was still innovative, cutting edge and probably played the guitar twice as well as his predecessors.

Collectively, I think the band members of Zep were infinitely more talented musicians than the Doors.  And from a listenablility (yeah, I just made the up) standpoint, I find myself able to listen to Zep much more casually than the Doors.  I agree with Larz, outside of a couple of great songs, the rest of the music is very repetitive and boring, IMHO.

I agree with this too.

Tone and Feel: Zep has an amazing blues influence and the singer's voice seems as much an instrument as it is a communicator.  Some songs are edgier than I am as a person, but the quality is there nevertheless.

Poetry/Lyrics:  Doors.  Their melodies (keyboard solos) sometimes remind me of a carnival calliope, but Jim's words more than make up for it.

NOTE: If you have the cable channel 'Palladia', watch for the Doors concert at the Hollywood Bowl and DVR it.  I'm NOT a big fan of live concerts at all, but this show had me transfixed.  Seeing it in perfect high-def on a big screen, it was like I'd stepped out of a time machine and was just standing there on stage watching him.  It was amazing.

I had never heard of Palladia. Turns out, I get it. Just what I needed - MORE stuff on my DVR.

I had never heard of Palladia. Turns out, I get it. Just what I needed - MORE stuff on my DVR.

Your DVR is toast.  My wife has 3 MUSE concerts, and I have a Queen from 1981, and a 2011 Rush Time Machine concert waiting to be watched.

Cool story.  Seriously.

But just FYI - every single band in the history of rock and roll you could use the old "ripped of blues artists" statement, especially during that era of music.  Hell, blues artists ripped off blues artists.  That includes the Doors.  Difference is, Jimmy Page was still innovative, cutting edge and probably played the guitar twice as well as his predecessors.

Collectively, I think the band members of Zep were infinitely more talented musicians than the Doors.  And from a listenablility (yeah, I just made the up) standpoint, I find myself able to listen to Zep much more casually than the Doors.  I agree with Larz, outside of a couple of great songs, the rest of the music is very repetitive and boring, IMHO.

I hear ya.  I just don't know of any band getting sued so heavily as Led Zeppelin over it.  Jim Morrison was a genius.  Zeppelin had far more talented musicians (like you said).  That's really the difference there I guess.  But both are stellar bands and I love them both, for different reasons.

Hell, I've even seen Zoso, the Zep tribute, like 4 times (of those 4, paid to see them twice).  If that tells you anything.  Also read Morrison's biography for the hell of it. 

Your DVR is toast.  My wife has 3 MUSE concerts, and I have a Queen from 1981, and a 2011 Rush Time Machine concert waiting to be watched.

That's the way to do it.  Rarely when I'm actually home do I turn on Palladia and find that something is on that I want to see.  But when I search through a week's worth of programming, I end up recording at least 4 different concerts to watch later.

Archived