•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Led Zeppelin or The Doors?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 23,055 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

If you had to choose?

#2 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,153 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Led Zep.

photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#3 Lizard King

Lizard King

Oh sh*t We Suck Again

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

Different genres. Blues vs poetry almost. I cannot pick because to me they are different.
There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it.
Aldous Huxley

#4 Bob

Bob

Retired Short-season Single-A Baseball Player

• Members
  • 13,268 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Different genres. Blues vs poetry almost. I cannot pick because to me they are different.

This. Two entirely different things. Like choosing between steak and beer.

Bob the Jets Fan™ Posted Image
I want zombie Ronald Reagan to eat Donald Trump and sh*t out a bunch of little Palins.

#5 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

It's like comparing apples to monkey wrenches. 

PatriotReign37, on 10 Sept 2014 - 10:56 AM, said: Oh the ironing.

#6 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Definitely 2 different genres.  In general, I'd prefer listening to Led Zep.  Doors have too many long, spoken word poetry type songs for my taste.  A little too overboard with the psychedelic stuff.  

Posted Image

#7 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I probably have more respect for The Doors because Zeppelin unfortunately ripped off so many blues artists.  I love both bands though, and would pay any amount of money to see Zeppelin live. 

Plus one of my Dad's coolest stories of his life involves Jim Morrison.  I think I've posted it here before but here it is again.  In spring of 1968, before "Light my Fire" came out, The Doors randomly played a show in a chapel at Susquehanna University, a tiny university in Pennsylvania.  The school was in the middle of a bit of a scandal as many students were refusing to go to required Chapel, opting to use their time for studying instead. 

My Dad was a student at Susquehanna, and was on the committee that brought The Doors in.  How this social committee at a religious, conservative school in PA would know about a rock band from Los Angeles is a mystery to me.  Our best guess as to WHY The Doors would come there was they were playing Philadelphia around that time and had an open date.

Anyways, before the show, my Dad got to meet the band and shoot hoops with Morrison.  Even got a program signed by him in pencil (which he still has, as lone proof of the show taking place).  They walked in the chapel where the show would take place, Morrison saw the crucifix and said "I'm not sure if we should be playing or praying."  At the show, all the students for the spring concert were dressed to the nines, wearing suits and such, and out comes this long-haired band from California.  It must have been surreal in hindsight.  The students naturally didn't really grasp the music but clapped politely after each song.  Jim probably got a big thrill out of messing with the heads of these college kids. 

I swear my Dad is like a real life Forrest Gump minus the low IQ.

/JiF'd

Edited by Jetsfan80, 11 July 2013 - 09:02 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#8 JerryK

JerryK

Supreme Chancellor

• Members
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I agree with this too.

Tone and Feel: Zep has an amazing blues influence and the singer's voice seems as much an instrument as it is a communicator.  Some songs are edgier than I am as a person, but the quality is there nevertheless.

Poetry/Lyrics:  Doors.  Their melodies (keyboard solos) sometimes remind me of a carnival calliope, but Jim's words more than make up for it.

NOTE: If you have the cable channel 'Palladia', watch for the Doors concert at the Hollywood Bowl and DVR it.  I'm NOT a big fan of live concerts at all, but this show had me transfixed.  Seeing it in perfect high-def on a big screen, it was like I'd stepped out of a time machine and was just standing there on stage watching him.  It was amazing.

Edited by JerryK, 11 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Avatar=whoever eliminates Brady.

#9 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,816 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

doors gets repetitive and the organ/keyboards gets annoying.  I had a 1 month doors phase but it didn't last.  

jimmy ripped of a lot of guys but he pioneered a lot as well like reverse echo effects.  every rocker after elvis ripped off the blues guys.  zep was just so arrogant they didn't give credit on the publishing rights where it was due

I had a 3 year zeppelin phase. 

so zep by a mile for me

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#10 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 23,055 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I probably have more respect for The Doors because Zeppelin unfortunately ripped off so many blues artists.  I love both bands though, and would pay any amount of money to see Zeppelin live. 

Plus one of my Dad's coolest stories of his life involves Jim Morrison.  I think I've posted it here before but here it is again.  In spring of 1968, before "Light my Fire" came out, The Doors randomly played a show in a chapel at Susquehanna University, a tiny university in Pennsylvania.  The school was in the middle of a bit of a scandal as many students were refusing to go to required Chapel, opting to use their time for studying instead. 

My Dad was a student at Susquehanna, and was on the committee that brought The Doors in.  How this social committee at a religious, conservative school in PA would know about a rock band from Los Angeles is a mystery to me.  Our best guess as to WHY The Doors would come there was they were playing Philadelphia around that time and had an open date.

Anyways, before the show, my Dad got to meet the band and shoot hoops with Morrison.  Even got a program signed by him in pencil (which he still has, as lone proof of the show taking place).  They walked in the chapel where the show would take place, Morrison saw the crucifix and said "I'm not sure if we should be playing or praying."  At the show, all the students for the spring concert were dressed to the nines, wearing suits and such, and out comes this long-haired band from California.  It must have been surreal in hindsight.  The students naturally didn't really grasp the music but clapped politely after each song.  Jim probably got a big thrill out of messing with the heads of these college kids. 

/JiF'd

My old man saw The Doors at the Singer Bowl in Queens in 68 or so I think. Lineup included Hendrix and The Who. Pretty unreal when you think about it.

I realize theyre two totally different bands, was drunk and listening to both last night so alas the thread. 

Edited by Matt39, 11 July 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#11 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

My old man saw The Doors at the Singer Bowl in Queens in 68 or so I think. Lineup included Hendrix and The Who. Pretty unreal when you think about it.

I realize theyre two totally different bands, was drunk and listening to both last night so alas the thread. 

Heh, I was thinking about starting a "best songs about drinking/drinking songs" thread the other day.  Though for me, George Thorogood kind of cornered the market on that genre a bit.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 11 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#12 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

/JiF'd

Cool story.  Seriously.

But just FYI - every single band in the history of rock and roll you could use the old "ripped of blues artists" statement, especially during that era of music.  Hell, blues artists ripped off blues artists.  That includes the Doors.  Difference is, Jimmy Page was still innovative, cutting edge and probably played the guitar twice as well as his predecessors.

Collectively, I think the band members of Zep were infinitely more talented musicians than the Doors.  And from a listenablility (yeah, I just made the up) standpoint, I find myself able to listen to Zep much more casually than the Doors.  I agree with Larz, outside of a couple of great songs, the rest of the music is very repetitive and boring, IMHO.

Posted Image

#13 Bob

Bob

Retired Short-season Single-A Baseball Player

• Members
  • 13,268 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

I agree with this too.

Tone and Feel: Zep has an amazing blues influence and the singer's voice seems as much an instrument as it is a communicator.  Some songs are edgier than I am as a person, but the quality is there nevertheless.

Poetry/Lyrics:  Doors.  Their melodies (keyboard solos) sometimes remind me of a carnival calliope, but Jim's words more than make up for it.

NOTE: If you have the cable channel 'Palladia', watch for the Doors concert at the Hollywood Bowl and DVR it.  I'm NOT a big fan of live concerts at all, but this show had me transfixed.  Seeing it in perfect high-def on a big screen, it was like I'd stepped out of a time machine and was just standing there on stage watching him.  It was amazing.

I had never heard of Palladia. Turns out, I get it. Just what I needed - MORE stuff on my DVR.

Bob the Jets Fan™ Posted Image
I want zombie Ronald Reagan to eat Donald Trump and sh*t out a bunch of little Palins.

#14 JerryK

JerryK

Supreme Chancellor

• Members
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I had never heard of Palladia. Turns out, I get it. Just what I needed - MORE stuff on my DVR.

Your DVR is toast.  My wife has 3 MUSE concerts, and I have a Queen from 1981, and a 2011 Rush Time Machine concert waiting to be watched.

Avatar=whoever eliminates Brady.

#15 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Cool story.  Seriously.

But just FYI - every single band in the history of rock and roll you could use the old "ripped of blues artists" statement, especially during that era of music.  Hell, blues artists ripped off blues artists.  That includes the Doors.  Difference is, Jimmy Page was still innovative, cutting edge and probably played the guitar twice as well as his predecessors.

Collectively, I think the band members of Zep were infinitely more talented musicians than the Doors.  And from a listenablility (yeah, I just made the up) standpoint, I find myself able to listen to Zep much more casually than the Doors.  I agree with Larz, outside of a couple of great songs, the rest of the music is very repetitive and boring, IMHO.

I hear ya.  I just don't know of any band getting sued so heavily as Led Zeppelin over it.  Jim Morrison was a genius.  Zeppelin had far more talented musicians (like you said).  That's really the difference there I guess.  But both are stellar bands and I love them both, for different reasons.

Hell, I've even seen Zoso, the Zep tribute, like 4 times (of those 4, paid to see them twice).  If that tells you anything.  Also read Morrison's biography for the hell of it. 

Edited by Jetsfan80, 11 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#16 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Your DVR is toast.  My wife has 3 MUSE concerts, and I have a Queen from 1981, and a 2011 Rush Time Machine concert waiting to be watched.

That's the way to do it.  Rarely when I'm actually home do I turn on Palladia and find that something is on that I want to see.  But when I search through a week's worth of programming, I end up recording at least 4 different concerts to watch later.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#17 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Is this a serious question?

This can't be a serious question.

#18 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I probably have more respect for The Doors because Zeppelin unfortunately ripped off so many blues artists. 

Edited by HessStation, 11 July 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#19 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

...also, Break on Through was a rip off of Paul Butterfield's rip off of Elmore James', Shake Your Money Maker.

Edited by HessStation, 11 July 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#20 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,089 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I would take steak and beer over Led Zeppelin and The Doors.

#21 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

#22 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

OK Hess you've made your point.  lol.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#23 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

rock-horns.jpg

#24 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,561 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Zep

The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/

#25 cr726

cr726

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Zeppelin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users