Report: Jets “toying” with using Geno Smith to change pace

glenn31

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/15/report-jets-toying-with-using-geno-smith-to-change-pace/

When the Jets traded for Tim Tebow last year, many speculated that they would use him as a change-of-pace quarterback with his own package of offensive plays that the team would use to expand their options when they had the ball.

Tebow only played sparingly on offense in 2012 and the Jets were roundly ridiculed for the way they deployed him. According to a report from Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, however, the team hasn’t totally given up the idea of having a backup quarterback with his own portfolio even though last year’s offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is now coaching the offensive line in Oakland.

Per Cimini, Jets coaches are “toying” with the idea of using rookie Geno Smith as a change-of-pace quarterback if he doesn’t win the starting job with a package of plays centered on the read-option. The idea is to make use of Smith’s speed while also giving him game experience he wouldn’t get otherwise, although Cimini points out one potential stumbling block in Smith’s limited history of success on designed runs while in college.

While the Jets offense can surely use any wrinkle that makes it more successful, the notion of shuttling quarterbacks in and out of the game only underlines how badly the Jets need to find a quarterback that they aren’t willing to take off the field for chunks of the game. The Jets presumably selected Smith in the second round of the draft because they felt he had the potential to be that kind of player and they’ll likely be best served by keeping him focused on attaining that goal as quickly as possible rather than returning to a well that bore no water last season.

Oh Rex, you offensive mastermind. Guess we're back to our "secret O package that'll force DCs to spend time on in practice" days. :1cry:

I saw in the comments over at Deadspin that someone quoted Bent from over on thejetsblog.com already tore this rumor down a month ago.

Was basically saying that they were asking Rex a lot of Kaepernick/Geno questions and they took and blew Rex's answers out of proportion, This really just amounts to Cimini being Cimini

Here is the post with what Bent wrote:

From TheJetsBlog.com, here's moderator Bent's description of the origin of this "story," originally posted 1 month ago:

Before it becomes a big story, I thought I'd mention Rex's comments about perhaps using Geno Smith in a read-option package if he isn't the starter.

It was quite incredible how they built this story. If you told me someone had already written this story in advance and decided they were going to make it happen, I'd believe it based on the press conference.

Someone asked a question about how well Geno runs the ball and could he have done more of that than he did in college. Rex took the bait and said that's true, he is pretty mobile and does have the ability to do that, but WVU didn't really make it as much of a feature of their offense as some college teams would.

So then the next guy, or maybe it was the same guy, starts to ask if Rex could use him in that way and Rex says it's something he's capable of, but they don't like to put their QBs in those situations too often, otherwise you'll need lots of QBs. (He then made a "stacking boxes on top of boxes" gesture).

Then someone referenced Kaepernick and Rex said they did a good job with him last year and he did a good job with lots of things they weren't expecting and talked about how the league is evolving with that kind of thing.

Finally someone asked if the Jets could use Smith in a similar package and he basically said maybe, but he reacted like it was something they hadn't even really considered and certainly didn't come across like this was their plan all along.

His face read like he wished he didn't say that and he made some comment about we don't want to get into hypotheticals at this stage otherwise everyone will be saying "didn't you try that last year?" and that he wouldn't rule it out, but it was more of a "never say never" sentiment than a "yes, that's something we're planning to do".

I notice that Costello's story on this subject essentially has all of these quotes in reverse order, so that the headline news is made to look like a major topic of discussion rather than a path he was very carefully led down. This also means that the importance of the main points he was getting across is minimized and obviously some of the key quotes and context is omitted.

I've gotta hand it to the media, they are really good at what they do. Sadly, what they do bears no relation to what we want from them.

This is brillant!

This is a decoy. This means that Geno has already won the starting job. Everyone knows how badly the Tebow experiment failed last year, so the thought will be that the Jets are going to try it again with a different QB. But Rex and Idzig are way too smart for this. They know that Sanchez sucks, and that Smith is our best chance to win. Smith as starting QB for week 1, bank it!

This is brillant!

This is a decoy. This means that Geno has already won the starting job. Everyone knows how badly the Tebow experiment failed last year, so the thought will be that the Jets are going to try it again with a different QB. But Rex and Idzig are way too smart for this. They know that Sanchez sucks, and that Smith is our best chance to win. Smith as starting QB for week 1, bank it!

Maybe they will use Sanchez in a "package"

I saw in the comments over at Deadspin that someone quoted Bent from over on thejetsblog.com already tore this rumor down a month ago.

Was basically saying that they were asking Rex a lot of Kaepernick/Geno questions and they took and blew Rex's answers out of proportion, This really just amounts to Cimini being Cimini

Here is the post with what Bent wrote:

From TheJetsBlog.com, here's moderator Bent's description of the origin of this "story," originally posted 1 month ago:

Before it becomes a big story, I thought I'd mention Rex's comments about perhaps using Geno Smith in a read-option package if he isn't the starter.

It was quite incredible how they built this story. If you told me someone had already written this story in advance and decided they were going to make it happen, I'd believe it based on the press conference.

Someone asked a question about how well Geno runs the ball and could he have done more of that than he did in college. Rex took the bait and said that's true, he is pretty mobile and does have the ability to do that, but WVU didn't really make it as much of a feature of their offense as some college teams would.

So then the next guy, or maybe it was the same guy, starts to ask if Rex could use him in that way and Rex says it's something he's capable of, but they don't like to put their QBs in those situations too often, otherwise you'll need lots of QBs. (He then made a "stacking boxes on top of boxes" gesture).

Then someone referenced Kaepernick and Rex said they did a good job with him last year and he did a good job with lots of things they weren't expecting and talked about how the league is evolving with that kind of thing.

Finally someone asked if the Jets could use Smith in a similar package and he basically said maybe, but he reacted like it was something they hadn't even really considered and certainly didn't come across like this was their plan all along.

His face read like he wished he didn't say that and he made some comment about we don't want to get into hypotheticals at this stage otherwise everyone will be saying "didn't you try that last year?" and that he wouldn't rule it out, but it was more of a "never say never" sentiment than a "yes, that's something we're planning to do".

I notice that Costello's story on this subject essentially has all of these quotes in reverse order, so that the headline news is made to look like a major topic of discussion rather than a path he was very carefully led down. This also means that the importance of the main points he was getting across is minimized and obviously some of the key quotes and context is omitted.

I've gotta hand it to the media, they are really good at what they do. Sadly, what they do bears no relation to what we want from them.

Everyone please read this post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That read option sh*t was conjecture by Cimini. They may just be talking about working him with a few plays here or there while he gets the playbook down.  This is nothing but guesswork at this point anyway. Not a story IMO.

This

End of story

There are other things I would suggest that the Jet coaching staff should "toy with", but this is a family website.  Trickery is a sign of weakness in an offense.  And yes, we do have a weak offense.  But using our top offensive pick for package duty and leaving our offense as it was personnel wise after the fiascos of the past years is the football equivalent of snow blindness.  It is Rex Ryan's death wish.

Archived