Dustin Pedroia Gets Paid

CrazyCarl40

Well deserved. Best 2B in the game, and he plays it the right way.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9502857/dustin-pedroia-boston-red-sox-agree-100-million-deal-principle-source

Dustin Pedroia agrees to new deal
Updated: July 23, 2013, 3:48 PM ET

The Boston Red Sox and All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia have reached agreement on a seven-year contract worth around $100 million, according to a major league source. The deal is pending a physical, the source said.

The contract, according to the source, begins in 2015 and runs through 2021. It will pay Pedroia an average of around $14 million per season. Pedroia is currently playing on a six-year, $40.5 million contract that runs through 2014.

Pedroia, who will turn 30 on Aug. 17, will be 38 years old in the final year of this new deal. He is batting .308 with six homers, 57 RBIs and an .807 OPS this season.

The Red Sox first made a formal offer to Pedroia and his New York-based agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, over the All-Star break in New York, a major league source told ESPNBoston.com.

Last month, general manager Ben Cherington talked about the club's desire to extend Pedroia, who has played in all but one of the team's first 100 games this season despite tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb on Opening Day while sliding headfirst into first base against the Yankees -- with a six-run lead.

"Speaking generally about Dustin, he's certainly a guy we think very highly of, and he's a huge part of the organization, not just this team. He represents a lot of what we're all about," Cherington said.

"It's our sincere hope he's here for a long time; that's all I can say. We've got a good enough relationship with Dustin and his representatives that those conversations will happen over time. At the right time, we'll just have to see down the road what comes of it."

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes was used in this report.

Their fielding is close(which War includes)...that I'm willing to sacrifice pedrioa being a slightly better fielder for Canos superior bat.

Utley is totally irrelevant to this conversation.

i have no issues saying Cano is better,  His bat (power) is better than every 2B. 

The important question is how much did Cano's contract increase?

Cano is a little less than a year older.  I would say his years starts at 6 (very least) and can argue for 7.  I would say Cano pulls in 126 to 140 million for total dollar.

i have no issues saying Cano is better,  His bat (power) is better than every 2B. 

Cano is a little less than a year older.  I would say his years starts at 6 (very least) and can argue for 7.  I would say Cano pulls in 126 to 140 million for total dollar.

If were going to use contracts then yeah clearly youre getting more bang for you buck with Pedroia.

Their fielding is close(which War includes)...that I'm willing to sacrifice pedrioa being a slightly better fielder for Canos superior bat.

Utley is totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Their fielding isn't close at all. And Canos bat isn't that much superior. Also, Pedroia is better on the basepaths too.

Cano is clearly better, but Pedroia absolutely deserves this payday. Good for him and very smart of Boston to keep him in the fold.

That's just simply not true. Cano is not clearly better. I bet if you asked execs around the league who they would rather have, it'd be about 50/50. Cano may be the better power hitter, but what other aspect of the game would you take above Pedroia from Cano except for that?

Official:

Alex Speier@alexspeier4m

Pedroia deal: $1M bonus, 2014-15 $12.5M, 2016 $13M, 2017 $15M, 2018 $16M, 2019 $15M, 2020 $13M, 2021 $12M so $110M over 8 yrs; some $ defer

That's a very team friendly deal.

I wonder what Cano gets now.

8yrs-160.

Some of my Yankee friends are thinking 200 million easy.

Really?

I do not think he is worth it.  He has power and a decent glove, but all the arguments in here are correct.  Is he the best second basemen?  IMHO, yes, but you can make an argument for Pedroia the Destroyah.

Plus, I do not know if 2B (or any for that matter) is a 25 million per year position.  If he was putting up Miggy type numbers and GG defense every year, yes, but he is not.

Really?

I do not think he is worth it.  He has power and a decent glove, but all the arguments in here are correct.  Is he the best second basemen?  IMHO, yes, but you can make an argument for Pedroia the Destroyah.

Plus, I do not know if 2B (or any for that matter) is a 25 million per year position.  If he was putting up Miggy type numbers and GG defense every year, yes, but he is not.

Well the Yankees love to overpay to keep their "stars" so we'll see.

Yes it can. Defense is a third of the game. It's important. It leads to wins. Don't be silly.

first off that's laughable...defense is less valuable now than ever with the strikeout ratio's climbing higher and higher.    Cano is a fine defender, you act like he fields like Rogers Hornsby did

Pedroia ISO rates:

2010: 205

2011: 167

2012: 159

2013: 114

i can see where this is trending

And yet his OPS+ does not show that great of a fluctuation. Hmmm.

first off that's laughable...defense is less valuable now than ever with the strikeout ratio's climbing higher and higher.    Cano is a fine defender, you act like he fields like Rogers Hornsby did

Laughable is this point. 

MLB is averaging 7.5 Ks per game.  That means 3/4 of all outs are still fielding plays. 

Until teams average 20 strikes a game, defense is going to be a part of the game. Ask Bill Buckner and Nelson Cruz about errors.

Pedroia outside of Fenway this year:   .268/.336/.337

Cano outside of Yankee stadium:  .320/.386/.576

Pedroia is an average player with below average pop away from Boston and this is while he's in his "prime" 

Pedroia outside of Fenway this year: .268/.336/.337

Cano outside of Yankee stadium: .320/.386/.576

Pedroia is an average player with below average pop away from Boston and this is while he's in his "prime"

Has Cano been playing with a torn ligament in his hand? No? Okay. Shaddup.

Pedroia outside of Fenway this year:   .268/.336/.337

Cano outside of Yankee stadium:  .320/.386/.576

jiFfM.jpg

As we learned yet a again, you take a tiny slice of the big picture and try to make a point.  So yet again, you like like the idiot you are.

As Carl pointed out, Pedroia is playing with a wrist injury, but in true Laser Show fashion, he is not making an issue about it.  He plays.

So, for the first time since his first full season of 2007, likely due to injury,  he is not in Top 10 in HRs for 2B.  Wow.  Yet, he is still tops in all other batting stats relative to 2B.

To pay either guy this kind of money after their 35th birthdays is insane. If Cano wants 4 years, fine. Anything more than that would be like burning money.

To pay either guy this kind of money after their 35th birthdays is insane. If Cano wants 4 years, fine. Anything more than that would be like burning money.

Very true.

It's not my money and Pedroia's deal is very team friendly. He made less than a million his MVP season, so it's a wash really. But I see your point, especially the way Pedroia plays the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived