Braylon Edwards to resign with Jets (merged)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez likely is ahead of Geno, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything:

Braylon Edwards‏@OfficialBraylon11 Jul

Ran into @GenoSmith7 yesterday. Talked a lil football and shared some laughs lol. Great dude.

Braylon's having a hard time getting a job these days, he's got to take the PR position that he's not Mark's guy - and he's will to do whatever the team asks him, no matter who the QB ends up being.

You gay. cause why learn from BrayBray when you could learn from...

kate-upton-dougie-o.gif

*please ignore the nobody on the left. And I was just kidding about you having a preference for the company of men. Don't ban me.

I've never seen a model that enjoys being hot as much as she Kate does. It's ******* awesome.

I think Stephen Hill can learn a lot from Braylon Edwards. They're very similar receivers. Big, fast, physical guys, willing downfield blockers, who came into the league with a hands problem. If Edwards comes in as a good teammate for Hill, it'll be a huge plus for the future. Because otherwise, Braylon is a potential short term solution for a team with few short term prospects.

I think Stephen Hill can learn a lot from Braylon Edwards. They're very similar receivers. Big, fast, physical guys, willing downfield blockers, who came into the league with a hands problem. If Edwards comes in as a good teammate for Hill, it'll be a huge plus for the future. Because otherwise, Braylon is a potential short term solution for a team with few short term prospects.

Pretty much agree with all of this, although I think the reason why Braylon is the one short term "solution" they were willing to bring in despite the team's current situation is far more for Geno's benefit than anything else, even despite Braylon's past relationship with Sanchez (which is also why they spent time seeing if they could find any other possible better options).  The team knows there are some big question marks at WR, and they wanted to make sure there was someone other than Kerley to throw to whenever the hell Geno finally steps under center.  Same reason you've only seen similar types of signings made at TE and OG.  As long as it's not going to **** over their QB, they seem more than content with giving some of their young and unproven guys shots at other positions.

This is good news.  I hope he and Winslow can stay healthy.  That's 2 big targets who can go up and the ball for Geno. ;-)

BE, Hill, Kerley, Winslow with the hope that Holmes can come back.  Thats aint so terrible anymore.  

Whats up with Steve Breaston?  Surprised they havent looked at him.  He'd be a nice depth option.

Also, how is that MoJo Drew is practicing already after his Lisfranic injury but Holmes is still a ways out.  Are their varying degrees of the injury? 

I also was wondering about Breaston recently. I just read that he tried out for the Lions but that they chose to sign Chaz Schilens instead! That tells me a lot. I don't think he's totally healthy.

I think it's funny he's such a fan favorite. He's like a top 3 Jets for me and really, I can't even tell you why. Dude dropped more balls than Hill first years here, went through the DUI, yet I love me some Braylon Edwards. Oh and **** Holmes. lol

This is such an overblown notion. I really don't understand where it comes from other than the fact he had that rep when he was with the Browns.

In 2010, Edwards had 4 drops, with 53 receptions, and 904 yds. Holmes had 5 drops to go with 52 receptions, and 746 yds. Cotchery, who most people fawned over (myself included), had 41 rec. 433yds, and 9 drops.

This is such an overblown notion. I really don't understand where it comes from other than the fact he had that rep when he was with the Browns.

In 2010, Edwards had 4 drops, with 53 receptions, and 904 yds. Holmes had 5 drops to go with 52 receptions, and 746 yds. Cotchery, who most people fawned over (myself included), had 41 rec. 433yds, and 9 drops.

Thank you for finding and posting the stats.  I knew that wasn't true about Bray's time with the Jets.  I think his second year he only had 1 or 2 drops, while Holmes had 7 or something like that.  Cleveland was where had problems with the dropsies, not the Jets.

Braylon’s 17 Again on the Jets Roster

Posted by Randy Lange on  July 25, 2013 – 11:47 am 

The last week of July brings one of the great joys for all football fans: the start of training camp. For me, it also brings one of the year’s disappointments: seeing some of the hard work of the last month become immediately outdated.

I’m talking about the Jets’ roster, of course.

With the flurry of signing activity of the past two days, those lovingly crafted rosters that appear in the 2013 Jets Yearbook and in the Daily News training camp pullout are now, well, inaccurate. Darn.

But hey, that’s football. And with this new-fangled Internet thing, we can get you up to speed just as quickly as the Jets can change the names and numbers.

The one number situation we all knew was coming was with Braylon Edwards. Not only is he back for Round 3 in green and white, but he’s back as No. 17.

I don’t recall why Braylon gravitated toward that number. He was No. 1 at Michigan, we all recall, but he’s been 17 at every stop in the pros (Browns, Jets, 49ers, Seahawks). Perhaps it had something to do with his Wolverines-record 17 career 100-yard receiving games. Maybe it was reinforced by the only 17-yard season per-catch average — his 17.1 with the Jets in 2010.

Regardless, with Edwards’ return, Jordan White’s number is up. Number 17, that is. White has worn that as a Jet except when Braylon’s been around. Late last season, White, then a rookie, shifted to 89. And he’ll be wearing 16 in the first training camp practice, which will kick off Friday at 10 a.m.

Here are the other number assignments for the new arrivals:

8 — K Billy Cundiff

68 — LS Patrick Scales

78 — DL Leger Douzable

79 — T J.B. Shugarts

I’ll leave you with one final number before heading back on campus to await the arrival of the rest of the Jets caravan this afternoon at their SUNY Cortland dorm. That number is 80.

You’ll recall Edwards’ 80-yard touchdown catch-and-run on a Mark Sanchez pass in the 2010 AFC Wild Card Game at Indianapolis. That 80-yarder was and remains the longest reception by a Jets WR since … Wesley Walker. Wesley reeled in an 83-yarder from Ken O’Brien at Seattle late in the 1986 season. The only longer Jets pass play since then was the 82-yard screen supreme from Vinny Testaverde to Leon Johnson against the Colts in 1998.

Can Braylon duplicate his feats of yore in his third Jets incarnation? You know what they say about stocks: Past results are no guarantee of future performance. But maybe Edwards can play like he’s 17 again. That would be outstanding.

Pretty much agree with all of this, although I think the reason why Braylon is the one short term "solution" they were willing to bring in despite the team's current situation is far more for Geno's benefit than anything else, even despite Braylon's past relationship with Sanchez (which is also why they spent time seeing if they could find any other possible better options).  The team knows there are some big question marks at WR, and they wanted to make sure there was someone other than Kerley to throw to whenever the hell Geno finally steps under center.  Same reason you've only seen similar types of signings made at TE and OG.  As long as it's not going to **** over their QB, they seem more than content with giving some of their young and unproven guys shots at other positions.

Even though we disagree vehemently on some things, I have to hand it to you on this one.  Great post.  If you are correct, and I hope you are, this shows that Idzik is making the right moves (imo) and being very smart in the way he's going about putting the team together.  That's something I can't say that I've seen with this team in a long time, maybe ever.  I was too young during the Weeb and Namath days to analyze or assess the moves that were made, but in retrospect those moves were brilliant as well.

Thank you for finding and posting the stats.  I knew that wasn't true about Bray's time with the Jets.  I think his second year he only had 1 or 2 drops, while Holmes had 7 or something like that.  Cleveland was where had problems with the dropsies, not the Jets.

He did have some issues when he was in Cleveland, but that attributed to us being able to score him, and fix his butterfingers. He was solid for us. Now, whoever taught Braylon needs to help Hill.. cause that kid can't catch a cold.

Braylon’s 17 Again on the Jets Roster

Posted by Randy Lange on  July 25, 2013 – 11:47 am 

The last week of July brings one of the great joys for all football fans: the start of training camp. For me, it also brings one of the year’s disappointments: seeing some of the hard work of the last month become immediately outdated.

I’m talking about the Jets’ roster, of course.

With the flurry of signing activity of the past two days, those lovingly crafted rosters that appear in the 2013 Jets Yearbook and in the Daily News training camp pullout are now, well, inaccurate. Darn.

But hey, that’s football. And with this new-fangled Internet thing, we can get you up to speed just as quickly as the Jets can change the names and numbers.

The one number situation we all knew was coming was with Braylon Edwards. Not only is he back for Round 3 in green and white, but he’s back as No. 17.

I don’t recall why Braylon gravitated toward that number. He was No. 1 at Michigan, we all recall, but he’s been 17 at every stop in the pros (Browns, Jets, 49ers, Seahawks). Perhaps it had something to do with his Wolverines-record 17 career 100-yard receiving games. Maybe it was reinforced by the only 17-yard season per-catch average — his 17.1 with the Jets in 2010.

Regardless, with Edwards’ return, Jordan White’s number is up. Number 17, that is. White has worn that as a Jet except when Braylon’s been around. Late last season, White, then a rookie, shifted to 89. And he’ll be wearing 16 in the first training camp practice, which will kick off Friday at 10 a.m.

Here are the other number assignments for the new arrivals:

8 — K Billy Cundiff

68 — LS Patrick Scales

78 — DL Leger Douzable

79 — T J.B. Shugarts

I’ll leave you with one final number before heading back on campus to await the arrival of the rest of the Jets caravan this afternoon at their SUNY Cortland dorm. That number is 80.

You’ll recall Edwards’ 80-yard touchdown catch-and-run on a Mark Sanchez pass in the 2010 AFC Wild Card Game at Indianapolis. That 80-yarder was and remains the longest reception by a Jets WR since … Wesley Walker. Wesley reeled in an 83-yarder from Ken O’Brien at Seattle late in the 1986 season. The only longer Jets pass play since then was the 82-yard screen supreme from Vinny Testaverde to Leon Johnson against the Colts in 1998.

Can Braylon duplicate his feats of yore in his third Jets incarnation? You know what they say about stocks: Past results are no guarantee of future performance. But maybe Edwards can play like he’s 17 again. That would be outstanding.

Randy, that isn't up to your usual level of work.  Did you really expect the roster to go unchanged following TC??  Get real.  There could be wholesale changes following TC, and there are often a number of changes anyway.  

He did have some issues when he was in Cleveland, but that attributed to us being able to score him, and fix his butterfingers. He was solid for us. Now, whoever taught Braylon needs to help Hill.. cause that kid can't catch a cold.

I think Braylon himself will be a great teaching tool for Hill. Not so much in words necessarily, although I believe BE won't mind taking the kid under his wings so to speak. But just watching BE operate on the field will be a major benefit to Hill IMO.

I think it's a good move, but I'm not sure what the hype is all about. The guy has barely been anything the past few years and really, besides 2010, he hasn't done much in a long long time.    And being a mentor is a nice theory, but if Hill sucks, he sucks, nothing a guy like BE will do to change that.

I think it's a good move, but I'm not sure what the hype is all about. The guy has barely been anything the past few years and really, besides 2010, he hasn't done much in a long long time.    And being a mentor is a nice theory, but if Hill sucks, he sucks, nothing a guy like BE will do to change that.

It's a bit deceptive really. He was injured for 2011 and half of last year. When the Jets got him at the end of last year, he was finally healthy and played. I think he can surprise this year. With Geno under center.

I'm praying Braylon show's Revis what team he should of stayed with Week 1... If he does Revis in and doesn't get trapped on MEvi$ Bank Of America he will prove critic's wrong.

Orrrr.... it will be like every Jet's W.. there will be a excuse behind it.. oh Revis wasn't fully healed.. blah,blah.

It's a bit deceptive really. He was injured for 2011 and half of last year. When the Jets got him at the end of last year, he was finally healthy and played. I think he can surprise this year. With Geno under center.

He had his best year in 2007.  Call it bad QBs, injuries, etc, but the reality is, he really hasn't been that impressive in almost 7 years.   He played great for the Jets in 2010, but it wasn't like it was some pro bowl type of season.  And him and Sanchez seemed to have had chemistry,  would he have that with Geno?  Who knows.  Geno had some great numbers with a fast WR in college who would make big plays. BE isn't that kind of WR.  

He had his best year in 2007.  Call it bad QBs, injuries, etc, but the reality is, he really hasn't been that impressive in almost 7 years.   He played great for the Jets in 2010, but it wasn't like it was some pro bowl type of season.  And him and Sanchez seemed to have had chemistry,  would he have that with Geno?  Who knows.  Geno had some great numbers with a fast WR in college who would make big plays. BE isn't that kind of WR.  

I don't think anyone is expecting Pro Bowl numbers or performances from BE. I know I'm not. But then, how many potential Pro Bowl WR's do the Jets have right now? None. The point is, he brings in much needed veteran leadership at the position. I get a kick out of the people who bring up his statistics the last two years. He was injured. It's a moot point. The important thing is what he can bring to the Jets. If he's healthy, I think he can be their best WR. Is that saying a lot? Probably not. But it's better than what we were looking at last week.

Archived