Joe McKnight MERGED

T0mShane

Goodson a no-show on Day 1

By Rich Cimini | Jul 25, 2013 7:21 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Mike Goodson, facing drug and weapon charges stemming from a May arrest in New Jersey, didn't report to training camp Thursday and was placed on the reserve/did not report list.

The team released a brief statement from Rex Ryan, which didn't shed much light on the situation.

AP Photo/Rich Schultz

Mike Goodson, who attended mandatory minicamp in June, wasn't present on the first day of Jets training camp.

"We knew Mike was not going to report and we understand why he's not here," Ryan said.

The Jets offered no further comment.

Goodson made a court appearance in June, at which time his case was sent to a grand jury. He participated in the mandatory minicamp in June, but he has yet to comment on the pending charges.

On May 17, Goodson was arrested when he and another man, the driver, were both found intoxicated in a car stopped in the middle of Route 80 in New Jersey. Goodson was taken to the hospital, and a semi-automatic gun, hollow-point bullets, drug paraphernalia and two partially-smoked marijuana cigars were found in the car, according to police. Both men were charged with possession of those items.

Goodson told the Jets the gun didn't belong him, according to his attorney. If he's found guilty of the charges, he could be sentenced five to 10 years in jail. Jets officials have said they will let the legal process play out before making any decisions on his status with the team.

The Jets signed Goodson to a three-year, $6.9 million contract, expecting him to be a key member of their backfield.

Backup Joe McKnight, whose conditioning (or lack thereof) has been an issue throughout his career, was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list because he flunked the conditioning test, according to a source. As a rookie, in 2010, McKnight gained infamy for vomiting at a minicamp practice. No word on whether he lost his lunch Thursday, but this was certainly not an encouraging development.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were expecting it. No biggie. I wrote him off the day he got arrested. Mcpuke

Is a dumbass. How would u handle him if u were rex ?

If Rex doesn't cut him then he's learned nothing about being a head coach or a leader. Discipline isn't optional.

If Rex doesn't cut him then he's learned nothing about being a head coach or a leader. Discipline isn't optional.

They kept goodson, that ship has sailed. Kinda sux they r both backs. Im tellin ya we will miss greene

Unfathomably stupid on McKnight's part. The guy got a break when his direct replacement got arrested, and he still can't make good on it. Just idiotic. Guy's gonna be out of football soon.

He informed the team he was not going to be there. We have no idea what the reason is. So you think he should just be cut? Very reasonable thought.

Unfathomably stupid on McKnight's part. The guy got a break when his direct replacement got arrested, and he still can't make good on it. Just idiotic. Guy's gonna be out of football soon.

Yep.  What makes it even worse imo is the interview from a month or so ago, where he was gonna show up in shape, play hard, and show everyone what he could do.  He should be sent packing immediately.

Not for nothing, but McKnight very well could have had an injury or some sort of condition (besides being a puss) that didn't allow him to complete or even do any of the test, rendering him physically unable to perform.  It's happened to hundreds of players who've had surgery or literally anything that caused him to miss the workout; he could very well be in shape and light the thing up in a couple days whenever it clears.  On the other hand, he could just be f*cking lazy and be out of shape.  Still think after all the years on these sites ya'll would wait a day or two to see what the reason is before calling for heads.

Also, interesting about Goodson being MIA.

I dont think he's going to be on the team. Considering the Hernandez situation..

Guy driving with loaded guns and hollow point bullets- yeah nothing happened, but who knows what could of if they hadnt been blind drunk. I;m sure the Jets have some knowledge on who Goodson hangs with. I'd imagine most teams are going through their roster at this point to spot any potential issues.

I dont think he's going to be on the team. Considering the Hernandez situation..

Guy driving with loaded guns and hollow point bullets- yeah nothing happened, but who knows what could of. I;m sure the Jets have some knowledge on who Goodson hangs with. I'd imagine most teams are going through their roster at this point to spot any potential issues.

I'd guess that each team has four or five dudes (minimum) that keep their GMs up at night worrying about a Hernandezy situation. IMO, it'd take monster balls for Idzik to dump Goodson, especially considering his other free agent (Garrard) never even made it to camp.

I'd guess that each team has four or five dudes (minimum) that keep their GMs up at night worrying about a Hernandezy situation. IMO, it'd take monster balls for Idzik to dump Goodson, especially considering his other free agent (Garrard) never even made it to camp.

Id agree if I didnt think he was getting pressure from the league. The guy got busted carrying bullets that serve one purpose- kill a human. Id imagine the league is a bit sensitive with this now.

Id agree if I didnt think he was getting pressure from the league. The guy got busted carrying bullets that serve one purpose- kill a human. Id imagine the league is a bit sensitive with this now.

Goodell trying to chase out every player with hollow points would be as funny as Bud Selig chasing around every baseball player who's ever taken a steroid. I'd almost like to see him try.

Goodell trying to chase out every player with hollow points would be as funny as Bud Selig chasing around every baseball player who's ever taken a steroid. I'd almost like to see him try.

Goodson was just dumb enough to get caught though. Didn't you see they're cracking down on tattoos now? Progress.

Yep.  What makes it even worse imo is the interview from a month or so ago, where he was gonna show up in shape, play hard, and show everyone what he could do.  He should be sent packing immediately.

self-referential whoosh?

Lol as opposed to all those other bullets that serve to give massages and blowjobs??

Lol as opposed to all those other bullets that serve to give massages and blowjobs??

Oh pipe down. Lets not make this political. But yes, there are folks that use guns and bullets to hunt. Generally hollow points(which are illegal to buy) dont serve that purpose. There's a big difference in Goodson's case and Damien Robinson, if you remember what happened with him.

edit- nvm, Robinson bought the gun legally, but was illegal to carry in NJ.

Point still stands though regarding having a legal gun and legal bullets vs driving around with hollow points.

I dont think he's going to be on the team. Considering the Hernandez

Guy driving with loaded guns and hollow point bullets- yeah nothing happened, but who knows what could of if they hadnt been blind drunk. I;m sure the Jets have some knowledge on who Goodson hangs with. I'd imagine most teams are going through their roster at this point to spot any potential issues.

If the story is true, then he was with a guy he did not know for more then a couple weeks. And he was blind drunk throwing up on himself and the idiot driving the car had a gun in the glove box. It's very possible he did not know anything about it. I am surprised he got charged for the gun but nj is very different from ny

Hopefully Goodson is in charm school for 28 days as part of a good plea bargain package thats all bought into by mgmt. If Goodson is on board, I hope McKnight is cut outright  - a total disappointment since he was a highly touted phenom in H.S.

Oh pipe down. Lets not make this political. But yes, there are folks that use guns and bullets to hunt. Generally hollow points(which are illegal to buy) dont serve that purpose. There's a big difference in Goodson's case and Damien Robinson, if you remember what happened with him.

edit- nvm, Robinson bought the gun legally, but was illegal to carry in NJ.

Point still stands though regarding having a legal gun and legal bullets vs driving around with hollow points.

Besides NJ's draconian gun laws, those bullets aren't illegal in any state that I've been in.  My point was that every single bullet has the capacity to harm someone; the fact that someone chose a hollow-point for protection or a full-metal jacket for hunting or target practice doesn't put them into the category of hunter/target shooter or gangsta.

Spot on....especially when Garrard walked away with $100K for nothing and Goodson got I believe a $1 mil signing bonus. I'm cool with the Jets waiting to see what happens during the legal procedures. IMO the gun is the drivers, and probably the blunts too. I'd be curious to see if Goodson submitted to a blood test or urine sample, 'cause I'm sure he took a drag or two. He gets a one game suspension. That's my call

Spot on....especially when Garrard walked away with $100K for nothing and Goodson got I believe a $1 mil signing bonus. I'm cool with the Jets waiting to see what happens during the legal procedures. IMO the gun is the drivers, and probably the blunts too. I'd be curious to see if Goodson submitted to a blood test or urine sample, 'cause I'm sure he took a drag or two. He gets a one game suspension. That's my call

Wouldn't doubt it what so ever.. But one game isn't significant if he isn't our starter. My question is, what the "personal matter's" are that kept him from arriving at camp on time.

Archived