Braylon hearts Geno

ZachEY

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards has a message for teammate Mark Sanchez: Watch out, this Geno Smith kid is good.

Edwards has been around Smith for only a couple of days, but he said Friday that the rookie has a serious approach that reminds him of a former Seattle Seahawks teammate --Russell Wilson. A lofty comparison, to be sure.

"It's going to be a battle," Edwards said of the Jets' quarterback competition. "Mark can't make mistakes like he has in the past. Things have to be legit with Mark for him to be the starter because he has a legit guy knocking at the back door."

The showdown began for real Friday, the first day of practice.

Before a relatively small crowd at SUNY Cortland, both quarterbacks got off to a nice start, neither committing a turnover and Smith showing off a big arm.

Edwards was impressed. He has been around several rookie quarterbacks in his 10 seasons, including Sanchez (2009) and the San Francisco 49ersColin Kaepernick (2011), and he said Smith has Wilson-like intangibles.

"Russell was a maniac when it came to studying film, breaking down film and asking questions," Edwards said. "Russell was a beast at that. That's what I see potentially in Geno, how he comes in the huddle, how he asks questions in meetings. He's right there with Mark."

Smith has a ways to go, especially with his grasp of Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast system. At West Virginia, Smith was used almost exclusively in shotgun, so this is a big transition. There were a couple of hiccups in practice.

"He didn't have the greatest practice -- don't get me wrong -- but you can tell with his attitude he's not just happy to be in the NFL. He's not happy to be backing up Mark Sanchez," Edwards said. "He's here to start. You can tell with his leadership."

Smith was pleased with his Day 1 performance.

"It felt pretty good. Things went smoothly," he said.

He joked that he's never at a loss for confidence. On Thursday, the second-round pick said his goal is to become one of the best quarterbacks in history.

The Jets would be happy if he ends up being the best quarterback in Cortland. After four seasons of Sanchez, who committed a league-high 52 turnovers in 2011 and 2012, the organization wouldn't mind a fresh start -- if Smith is up to it.

Coach Rex Ryan, whose job could be riding on the decision, raved about Smith's arm strength.

"He can throw it with anybody -- maybe not anybody," Ryan said. "I don't know if he can throw it with [Jay] Cutler or if he can throw it with the kid in Detroit [Matthew Stafford], but I know one thing: He can throw it. He's got a really live arm. There's no doubt."

Smith worked with the backups, but he'll get a chance to lead the starting offense, as per the quarterback rotation. Ryan declined to say when he expects to name a starter, but it figures to be after two preseason games.

Sanchez has been outspoken in his belief that he'll win the job, and he came away from Friday feeling no different.

"I thought I did well," he said. "I felt sharp, I felt accurate, and I felt good with my checks."

Sanchez said the notion of losing to Smith hasn't crossed his mind.

"I don't even think like that," he said. "I don't think about not winning the job. That's just the way I am. I'm pretty optimistic."

Trouble in Paradise?

image.JPG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't go preaching that it's Geno time right away.. let him get a feel for the game more.. I'm not saying baby him and be a softy about the situation.. but make sure if you are putting him out there.. you're confident he's ready and he's confident he's ready.

Can't go preaching that it's Geno time right away.. let him get a feel for the game more.. I'm not saying baby him and be a softy about the situation.. but make sure if you are putting him out there.. you're confident he's ready and he's confident he's ready.

If they feel that Geno can play  to less turnovers, he will start.  The coach has a defensive mindset.

I still think Geno should have to blow Sanchez away in practice to earn the starter's job. If the competition is close, they should go with Sanchez. Let him take the lumps in the new offense, behind the new line, while Geno gets up to speed on the sidelines.

Geno should definitely start at some point this year, but I have real concerns about his mental makeup. I think throwing him into the fire before he -and the rest of the offense- are ready could be extremely detrimental to his development.

I think the best thing for Geno Smith and the Jets, long term, is to let him back up this year, regardless. This team is not presently built to win a Super Bowl. So why throw the kid in the fire and potentially ruin his psyche or confidence? Let him assimilate himself into MM's system for a solid year from the sidelines. I truly think that would be the best thing for Geno Smith.

Because we might be in position to draft another QB next year, and we need to find out whether or not we should.

It's not as if Smith will be sitting in an armchair the entire season watching games. I think MM and David Lee would have a pretty good idea of what they have in Smith based on an entire season of practices. You shouldn't have to throw a young QB into the fire just to see if you should draft another QB next year. If a QB is the top player on your board when your pick rolls around in the 2014 draft, then take him anyway. That's just my opinion.

It's not as if Smith will be sitting in an armchair the entire season watching games. I think MM and David Lee would have a pretty good idea of what they have in Smith based on an entire season of practices. You shouldn't have to throw a young QB into the fire just to see if you should draft another QB next year. If a QB is the top player on your board when your pick rolls around in the 2014 draft, then take him anyway. That's just my opinion.

And, if Geno is good enough to be given the reigns next year while passing on a top prospect at the position, he's also better than one of the leagues worst QBs in Mark Sanchez, and thus "gives us the best chance to win", so then he should start.

I misread at the time then. But it looks as if he is up there with RG3.

Kind of decreases the weight of a measurement like that when - in their rankings of every QB to come out since 1998 - here are the top 10 grades they've ever given out, in order:

1: RG3

2: Rivers

3: Brees

4. Colt McCoy

5. Carson Palmer

6. Peyton Manning

7. Andrew Luck

8. Chad Pennington

9. Brady Quinn

10. Jason Campbell

Now granted, there's a lot of room between not-great QBs like Pennington & Palmer (who are/were at least legit NFL starters) and complete flops like McCoy and Quinn.  But how does Pennington or Campbell grade out as 2 of the 10 best QB prospects over the last 15 years? I mean, you're not even ranking 1 QB per year yet there are multiple assclowns in this list.

So while it's great that Geno (2,064) is among the highest they've ever graded, keep in mind that while they gave him an even higher grade than given to Peyton Manning (1,784), they also gave Colt McCoy (2,092) an still higher grade than either one of them.

I think the expression "take with a grain of salt" is in order.

Kind of decreases the weight of a measurement like that when - in their rankings of every QB to come out since 1998 - here are the top 10 grades they've ever given out, in order:

4. Colt McCoy

5. Carson Palmer

6. Peyton Manning

7. Andrew Luck

8. Chad Pennington

9. Brady Quinn

10. Jason Campbell

Now granted, there's a lot of room between not-great QBs like Pennington & Palmer (who are/were at least legit NFL starters) and complete flops like McCoy and Quinn. But how does Pennington or Campbell grade out as 2 of the 10 best QB prospects over the last 15 years? I mean, you're not even ranking 1 QB per year yet there are multiple assclowns in this list.

So while it's great that Geno (2,064) is among the highest they've ever graded, keep in mind that while they gave him an even higher grade than given to Peyton Manning (1,784), they also gave Colt McCoy (2,092) an still higher grade than either one of them.

Ah. But they changed the formula in 2011.

First paragraph:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/lewin-career-forecast-2012

But yea I still agree. Common sense stillneeds to be applied.

4. Colt McCoy

5. Carson Palmer

6. Peyton Manning

7. Andrew Luck

8. Chad Pennington

9. Brady Quinn

10. Jason Campbell

Now granted, there's a lot of room between not-great QBs like Pennington & Palmer (who are/were at least legit NFL starters) and complete flops like McCoy and Quinn.  But how does Pennington or Campbell grade out as 2 of the 10 best QB prospects over the last 15 years? I mean, you're not even ranking 1 QB per year yet there are multiple assclowns in this list.

It's not so much taking it with a grain of salt as it is trusting your scouts. LCF doesn't project performance; it projects risk. It's basically a blunt tool for identifying guys whom, all other things being equal, you can draft with a reasonable degree of confidence. But all things aren't equal, which is why you take projections like this to your scouts, who go on to explain that Colt McCoy is built like Justin Bieber and that Brady Quinn is a petulant little bitch who struggles to read defenses. 2,064 means that Geno was a great pick (especially in the 2nd), not that he'll be a great player.

It's not so much taking it with a grain of salt as it is trusting your scouts. LCF doesn't project performance; it projects risk. It's basically a blunt tool for identifying guys whom, all other things being equal, you can draft with a reasonable degree of confidence. But all things aren't equal, which is why you take projections like this to your scouts, who go on to explain that Colt McCoy is built like Justin Bieber and that Brady Quinn is a petulant little bitch who struggles to read defenses. 2,064 means that Geno was a great pick (especially in the 2nd), not that he'll be a great player.

Kevin_Smith_Silent_Bob.jpg

And that can't be done over the last 8 weeks or whenever the bye is?

I think the best thing for Geno Smith and the Jets, long term, is to let him back up this year, regardless. This team is not presently built to win a Super Bowl. So why throw the kid in the fire and potentially ruin his psyche or confidence? Let him assimilate himself into MM's system for a solid year from the sidelines. I truly think that would be the best thing for Geno Smith.

It's not so much taking it with a grain of salt as it is trusting your scouts. LCF doesn't project performance; it projects risk. It's basically a blunt tool for identifying guys whom, all other things being equal, you can draft with a reasonable degree of confidence. But all things aren't equal, which is why you take projections like this to your scouts, who go on to explain that Colt McCoy is built like Justin Bieber and that Brady Quinn is a petulant little bitch who struggles to read defenses. 2,064 means that Geno was a great pick (especially in the 2nd), not that he'll be a great player.

This says Colt McCoy is better than Peyton Manning.

I don't read the fine print.  

Archived