Braylon hearts Geno

ZachEY

It's not as if Smith will be sitting in an armchair the entire season watching games. I think MM and David Lee would have a pretty good idea of what they have in Smith based on an entire season of practices. You shouldn't have to throw a young QB into the fire just to see if you should draft another QB next year. If a QB is the top player on your board when your pick rolls around in the 2014 draft, then take him anyway. That's just my opinion.

They won't know just from practices. Geno will start at some point this season, and should.

I agree with you in principle about protecting his fragile psyche, though. Smith's (lack of?) mental toughness is my biggest concern with him. I'd sit him half the year unless he's completely blowing away Sanchez in camp. If that's the case, you roll with him. If it's close though, you let Sanchez take $8M worth of beatings for a little while, then throw in Geno.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't know just from practices. Geno will start at some point this season, and should.

I agree with you in principle about protecting his fragile psyche, though. Smith's (lack of?) mental toughness is my biggest concern with him. I'd sit him half the year unless he's completely blowing away Sanchez in camp. If that's the case, you roll with him. If it's close though, you let Sanchez take $8M worth of beatings for a little while, then throw in Geno.

This made me laugh thinking about how much $8M worth of beatings comes to.

True. And we don't know what kind of team we're going to have this year, especially on offense. So many new faces, particularly on the Oline. And that's the area to look at. If it's a solid pass protecting unit, with better help from the RB's, then I wouldn't have a problem throwing Smith out there. But if he's going to be running for his life most of time, I don't think throwing him out there is a great idea.

Welcome back beautiful.

Thanks crush, my comp has been on the fritz for months and its kinda hard posting with my iPhone. But fb season is back in full swing so ill deal

I still think Geno should have to blow Sanchez away in practice to earn the starter's job. If the competition is close, they should go with Sanchez.

I don't think this should be the case.  If the competition is close, then Geno DID blow Sanchez away.  Sanchez has been here 5 years.  We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that even when he looks good in practice he will always suck in games.  Its SANCHEZ who should have to blow Geno out of the water to retain his job.  If we care about winning this season then Sanchez has to show he's a changed player.  Otherwise, there's really no downside to going with Geno from Week 1.

That's why, when Rex said today that there's no clear leader in the race, that means that Geno is going to win the competition, if there really is one.  Sanchez ought to be WAYYYYY ahead of the rookie right now, but he's not.  Geno will win the competition, and then Rex and company will have to decide if that means Geno should start. 

I don't think this should be the case.  If the competition is close, then Geno DID blow Sanchez away.  Sanchez has been here 5 years.  We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that even when he looks good in practice he will always suck in games.  Its SANCHEZ who should have to blow Geno out of the water to retain his job.  If we care about winning this season then Sanchez has to show he's a changed player.  Otherwise, there's really no downside to going with Geno from Week 1.

That's why, when Rex said today that there's no clear leader in the race, that means that Geno is going to win the competition, if there really is one.  Sanchez ought to be WAYYYYY ahead of the rookie right now, but he's not.  Geno will win the competition, and then Rex and company will have to decide if that means Geno should start.

What happens when Geno struggles? That's where the downside comes into play. I've said it a million times, but Geno's mental resiliency is a big concern, IMO. He pouted in games in college, pouted at the draft. Things don't go his way, he curls up into a ball. And what do the Jets do if Geno is playing really poorly? Pull him for Sanchez? How is that going to play? Not nearly as well as pulling Sanchez for Geno six or eight weeks into the season, I'd think.

I don't think he should start early unless he's really blowing Sanchez away. It's not going to hurt anyone if Geno sits a month or two, but it could definitely help.

That's why, when Rex said today that there's no clear leader in the race, that means that Geno is going to win the competition, if there really is one.  

It doesn't mean that at all.  It just means that Rex has learned to shut his ******* mouth and not give the press anything to grasp.  That's all.  It has only been a couple of days.  They didn't learn much more than they knew already.  They have to wait until the bullets start flying to make an actual decision.

What happens when Geno struggles? That's where the downside comes into play. I've said it a million times, but Geno's mental resiliency is a big concern, IMO. He pouted in games in college, pouted at the draft. Things don't go his way, he curls up into a ball. And what do the Jets do if Geno is playing really poorly? Pull him for Sanchez? How is that going to play? Not nearly as well as pulling Sanchez for Geno six or eight weeks into the season, I'd think.

I don't think he should start early unless he's really blowing Sanchez away. It's not going to hurt anyone if Geno sits a month or two, but it could definitely help.

I have a good solution for this, tell Geno not to struggle!  And if he does ride his mentally fragile ass (AKA BIG PUSSY) to a 3-13 season, and go get the next top QB in next years draft, and repeat until we FINALLY get an actual bonafide FRANCHISE QB here for once!

Simply not true, it will hurt my eyes badly to have to watch Sanchez play a month or two.

No offense, but I care far less about your eyes than I do about Geno's development. They could permanently screw him up if they start him before he's completely ready.

No offense, but I care far less about your eyes than I do about Geno's development. They could permanently screw him up if they start him before he's completely ready.

Im offended! JK.

Heres the reality, if Geno really is fragile, what does it matter because we need a new QB next year anyway? You cannot be fragile in NY, especially at the QB position. If we need to worry about Geno being too fragile, I say throw him in the water and see if he can swim right away, and if he is ruined from that, he never would have made it anyway and hope to draft a better QB next year. I personally don't think he is fragile.

I have a good solution for this, tell Geno not to struggle!  And if he does ride his mentally fragile ass (AKA BIG PUSSY) to a 3-13 season, and go get the next top QB in next years draft, and repeat until we FINALLY get an actual bonafide FRANCHISE QB here for once!

If we go 3-13 I sure hope we'd get Clowney. 

This.  If Geno is mentally fragile he's not a f***ing NFL quarterback then and we try again.  We won't know until we see him out there, and I'd rather have as large of a sample size as possible.  It's not like we invested a top 5 pick on the guy. 

Plus, the NFL is about entertainment and I don't want to watch a single freaking snap taken by Mark Sanchez.  Starting Geno in Week 1 or starting him Week 8 won't really have any affect on whether Geno can cut it or not.  If he's talented enough to handle the NFL it will show either way.  Trying to protect a QB's fragile ego is why Mark Sanchez was our QB far longer than he should have been in the first place.

Ditto to this.

Makes no sense to just sit him because he may or may not be soft mentally. There's only one way to find out. No use in postponing the inevitable, if he in fact does have a fragile psyche. If he beats Sanchez out, even by a small margin, he should get the nod.

If Geno beats him out in camp and is not named the starter, that entire "competition" rally cry we've been hearing since Idzik got here is just useless words with no real meaning. 

Ditto to this.

Makes no sense to just sit him because he may or may not be soft mentally. There's only one way to find out. No use in postponing the inevitable, if he in fact does have a fragile psyche. If he beats Sanchez out, even by a small margin, he should get the nod.

If Geno beats him out in camp and is not named the starter, that entire "competition" rally cry we've been hearing since Idzik got here is just useless words with no real meaning. 

I'm hoping for a Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn-esque beatdown in the competition but I'll settle for a "Well, Geno isn't as shi**y as Sanchez" victory too.  Either way this "Start Sanchez so Geno can learn" BS needs to end. 

I'm glad this isn't a Rex only decision because the "Well Sanchez has been looking great in practice" line has been something we've been fed for 5 years now.  I have a feeling Geno will look good when he gets into real games whereas Sanchez will never be good in any game situation.

Lots of QBs get thrown into the mix too early, and get ruined as a result. Or at least, partially as a result. No reason to do that to a QB unless you have to.

If Geno's killing it in practice -great!- let's start the Smith era! If it's close, let him take a little more time. It's not going to hurt him, but it could potentially help him. A lot.

You can disagree if you want, but you're not going to change my mind on this one, either. I want the Sanchez era to end, too. I just don't want to see it repeated.

Lots of QBs get thrown into the mix too early, and get ruined as a result. Or at least, partially as a result. No reason to do that to a QB unless you have to.

If Geno's killing it in practice -great!- let's start the Smith era! If it's close, let him take a little more time. It's not going to hurt him, but it could potentially help him. A lot.

You can disagree if you want, but you're not going to change my mind on this one, either. I want the Sanchez era to end, too. I just don't want to see it repeated.

The only real, tangible way young QB's get ruined is if they get sacked too many times (See:  David Carr, possibly Sam Bradford).  Otherwise its really just a "have it or you don't" situation.  Our offensive line is still one of the best at pass protection, even with the 2 new faces at guard. 

The issue is, it's a 53 man roster.  How do you sell to the veterans that we are not playing the QB who played best because we want to protect him, so we're going to send out the 2nd best guy and hope for the best this year...

Last year was all about, "gives us the best chance to win".  I don't want to rush Geno either, but if he "gives us the best chance to win", then you have to play him.  You pay your coaches for a reason, and they should do their job and coach him.

I'm hoping for a Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn-esque beatdown in the competition but I'll settle for a "Well, Geno isn't as shi**y as Sanchez" victory too.  Either way this "Start Sanchez so Geno can learn" BS needs to end. 

I'm glad this isn't a Rex only decision because the "Well Sanchez has been looking great in practice" line has been something we've been fed for 5 years now.  I have a feeling Geno will look good when he gets into real games whereas Sanchez will never be good in any game situation.

The "Start Sanchez so Geno can learn" is not applicable here.  Sanchez is still a young QB who shouldn't be a hold-the-fort type guy.  It'd be one thing if we had Matt Hasselback or Kerry Collins, or someone of that nature, but Sanchez should be in or entering the prime of his career and not a placeholder.  When you play the "hold the fort" game, you want a seasoned game manager who doesn't routinely lose games for you based on his performance alone.  Sanchez is a turnover machine who does nothing to help the franchise in his current state.  A guy like Hasselback, based on his experience, is likely presently better than Geno, and can get a team wins while the young guy matures.  Sanchez simply doesn't offer that.

The beauty about this claim is its impossible to disprove because there is no way of knowing if a young,  really good/great QB got thrown to the wolves too early and subsequently never became good/great because of it. You really cannot say player X never reached his full potential because he was started too early. There's just far too many variables to take into account to say what the dominant determining factor was for their failure.

The "Start Sanchez so Geno can learn" is not applicable here.  Sanchez is still a young QB who shouldn't be a hold-the-fort type guy.  It'd be one thing if we had Matt Hasselback or Kerry Collins, or someone of that nature, but Sanchez should be in or entering the prime of his career and not a placeholder.  When you play the "hold the fort" game, you want a seasoned game manager who doesn't routinely lose games for you based on his performance alone.  Sanchez is a turnover machine who does nothing to help the franchise in his current state.  A guy like Hasselback, based on his experience, is likely presently better than Geno, and can get a team wins while the young guy matures.  Sanchez simply doesn't offer that.

The beauty about this claim is its impossible to disprove because there is no way of knowing if a young,  really good/great QB got thrown to the wolves too early and subsequently never became good/great because of it. You really cannot say player X never reached his full potential because he was started too early. There's just far too many variables to take into account to say what the dominant determining factor was for their failure.

I think the thought process is more along the lines of if we start Geno and he sucks we can't go back to Sanchez.  If we start Sanchez, when he sucks we replace him with Geno and if he struggles, that's okay.  He is still a step up and he's learning.  

I think the thought process is more along the lines of if we start Geno and he sucks we can't go back to Sanchez.  If we start Sanchez, when he sucks we replace him with Geno and if he struggles, that's okay.  He is still a step up and he's learning.  

Sure.  But, that assumes we don't already know what we're going to get with Sanchez.  And, that we don't really care what happens this season.

I don't care how bad Geno is, you don't go back to Sanchez, and you don't regret it either.  Let Geno suck and get us an early draft pick.

There's no valid argument to be made that, if Geno wins the job, Sanchez should start.  None.  

Sure.  But, that assumes we don't already know what we're going to get with Sanchez.  And, that we don't really care what happens this season.

It's not my theory.  I don't care enough about either of these guy's psyches for it to matter.  There are those that think Geno can be special and should be handled as such.  Personally I am getting tired of the coddled QB and I am starting to not care if we platoon the ****ers.  

I don't care how bad Geno is, you don't go back to Sanchez, and you don't regret it either.  Let Geno suck and get us an early draft pick.

There's no valid argument to be made that, if Geno wins the job, Sanchez should start.  None.  

Early draft pick?  Yippee! There is the rallying cry!  

This team is still too good for that IMO.  The point is that if Geno sucks and the game is too fast for him at first it will not be too good for his development either to keep trotting him out there or to pull him and then return to him later.  Guys don't generally return from that kind of yo-yoing.  

That's probably a big reason why no one's making that argument. Lol.

All I've said is that if its close, they should go with Sanchez. They've said that if its close, they have a plan for that. Maybe that plan is what I've been saying, maybe it's the opposite, but they've been thinking about it, which is good.

I find it mildly amusing that before this draft, many posters were cursing at the thought of drafting this kid. And now it's omg Geno

True.  But at that time it was under the assumption he was a top 10 pick or even higher.

I think the best thing for Geno Smith and the Jets, long term, is to let him back up this year, regardless. This team is not presently built to win a Super Bowl. So why throw the kid in the fire and potentially ruin his psyche or confidence? Let him assimilate himself into MM's system for a solid year from the sidelines. I truly think that would be the best thing for Geno Smith.

I've never understood this statement when I see it. They're not built to win a Super Bowl, then whats the point of going out there and competing? They should just take the year off until they have a team that they feel is built for the superbowl. 

If Geno is the better QB then he needs to play, if not then let him sit. 

Archived