Posting charts?

Lots of posters try to post charts, which normally come in spreadsheet format and come out unreadable in text.

Anything that can be done so that when you copy a chart located in an article, it comes out as a chart?  Possible to add xls to the list of files the forum software can accept?

So far, the only solution I've found is to take a snapshot in XnView, crop it and save it, then post it as a graphic.  It works, but it's clumsy and slow.

Any way to fix?

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of posters try to post charts, which normally come in spreadsheet format and come out unreadable in text.

Anything that can be done so that when you copy a chart located in an article, it comes out as a chart?  Possible to add xls to the list of files the forum software can accept?

So far, the only solution I've found is to take a snapshot in XnView, crop it and save it, then post it as a graphic.  It works, but it's clumsy and slow.

Any way to fix?

Really sorry I didn't do this sooner, but I just opened a ticket for this with IPB.  I will post their response once I hear back.  Thanks.

Forgot to mention that .csv files also operate nicely for charts like xls files.  So if something for .csv is available, that would be great also.

I heard back from their Support.  They said right now to add xls and xlsx as supported attachment types.  I did that and also added csv.

In the next version IPB4 which is due out later this year, they have new options for automatically embedding tables in posts.  Sounds like it will be much easier then.

Thanks.

Okay I tried posting two charts from here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Smith

This is what I came out with for the second.  The first didn't work either.

Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 3 in 218 lb 32½ in 9¼ in 4.59 s 1.59 s       33.5 in 10 ft 4 in   24 All values from NFL combine.[23][24]

When I posted I looked for a button which said xls or csv.  There were none.

I clicked on the button which had a big W for Microsoft Word, for you can post charts in Word.  when I clicked it, a special box appeared onscreen which said to put the pasted info in the box.  I did so and hit OK.  The reply box was filled with the chart looking as it should.  But when I clicked Submit, it came out unformatted like the info above.

How do we activate the xls and csv file extensions so we can properly post charts?  I think it would help get conversations and debates going if we can do this.

post-8744-0-68756400-1377873436_thumb.jp

post-8744-0-99941000-1377873456_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Still trying.  How is that I canactivate those xls and csv file extensions?  What is the procedure?

Because my xls chart comes out like this:

Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 3 in 218 lb 32½ in 9¼ in 4.59 s 1.59 s       33.5 in 10 ft 4 in   24 All values from NFL combine.[23][24] Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 3 in 218 lb 32½ in 9¼ in 4.59 s 1.59 s       33.5 in 10 ft 4 in   24 All values from NFL combine.[23][24]

• 2 months later...

Keltic -- so sorry for the delay.  I looked into this again and the best bet is the next version of the software. 

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/4445/entry-9560-40-charts-graphs/

They don't have a release date yet but I think it will be early in 2014.  We will be upgrading once we feel it is stable.  Thanks.

• 3 months later...

IPB is very close to a beta release of IPB4.  Once it is ready we are going to set up a test site since it is a completely new release.  I would love to have you check it out and see how it works once we have it up and running.  I do think it will take care of the problem.  But we will find out... :)

Thanks.

Okay, makes sense to see what the new release will bring, at least we know IPB is concerned about posting charts.  Thanks for your attention to the issue. :)

I am checking every single day for IPB4, it will hopefully be available really soon.  We don't normally like changing when software is new, but this time we are jumping in.

I am checking every single day for IPB4, it will hopefully be available really soon.  We don't normally like changing when software is new, but this time we are jumping in.

sounds like someone is expecting a tax refund!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived